THE OVERALL UNIQUE EXTERIOR DESIGN FEATURES

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> SO...WHAT MAKES BUSHTRACKER THE BEST?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bushtracker
Site Admin

State:: Queensland
Current Bushtracker owner:: Yes
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:16 am    Post subject: THE OVERALL UNIQUE EXTERIOR DESIGN FEATURES Reply with quote

There are many things we started at Bushtracker, that others copy the "look of" to sell vans. Here are the reasons, exposed, so you are not fooled by the "look the part copies":

Alloy Body Armour: When I first came up with this concept and built the first one in about 1997, we were building Bushtrackers on steel trailer armour. Then even the other Director of the Company said "Well, I can see why you might want it, but I don't think it will catch on"... By about 2001 or so, he had changed over his steel body armour sided van to the Alloy Body Armour we now have for a bit lighter weight and less maintenance. Now, in 2008, hardly a Caravan out there does not liberally use alloy checker plate. But be careful you are not fooled by the "Look" of it. Many that specifically copy our style, use a very light alloy that is only cosmetic. You would not want to slip into a tree stump and hope that light look will actually protect your van. As far as I know, we are the only ones using it of adequate thickness, in 2.5 mm where others are using it in thin sections of .8 which is less than 1/3 of the thickness we find necessary. Some use it so thin they can reverse stamp their name in it. Ask to see samples of the alloy body armour, scraps, and compare with the "real thing"..
Off road, from a smaller van, to the very largest of vans, if you slip off a track into a tree stump or cut a corner and hit something, you need the "Real Thing" not just thin copy of style!! Wink

From small and compact....................................................................To absolutely massive sized, on Load Sharing Air Suspension, you still need the same quality features

Spare Tyres on the front of the van, not on the back where they can be DANGEROUS.. This is just where they should be for weight distribution. If you look at a design with big tyres and wheels and they have mounted them on the rear of the van? That is only good for light little caravan small wheels and tyres and even then it is not good for weight distribution. If you go big off-road tyres and wheels like our 16' 265/75 R-16 Standard, the WORST thing you could do is put them out on the back of the van. TOO MUCH POLAR WEIGHT will give you the Hobby Horse effect, and add to the potential for SWAY the Killer of Caravans. It is just a really dumb thing to do. You do not want that kind of weight out there at the end. Also, if you have a Departure Angle for Off-Road, the tyres would be a back breaker trying to lift them up that high to get over the departure angle. And you would block the tail lights... And you would not get a decent opening window.... It just does not work. Tyres on the back of a van is AT BEST an on-road design... Even then it is bad for weight distribution and hobby horse rocking of the van on the rear suspension of the tow vehicle.

Water Tight Door: Again, the only Caravan in Australia with this unique feature of a water tight door that optionally folds over the caravan door when off road. It is not only for creek or flood or river crossings that you will encounter, but since the Bushtracker is water tight to 1 metre, it greatly helps the dust proofing as well. Other companies do not have the water proofing underneath as well, and constantly have bull dust problems. The picture below, shows the door open, and closed in an off road situation:

You will eventually want to, or have to, make water crossings.... And the water tight door makes it easy!

A real measure of the size of a van you are comparing Bushtracker to: At least one so called Competitor, prices his 21' van for example against Bushtracker 21'.... Only one problem, his 21' measure is outside dimensions and only 19' long on inside living area. Ours is a true measure of the floor living area, and does not even count the nosecone in the front, so if you lift the bed for instance up in there you can get 22' of living area in this case. If you are trying to compare apples to apples, just know that our measure is fair and in your favour. Some so called Competitors have only a 19' van in living area, and obvious cheaper costs in competing with what they call 21'. See what the true living area is in each size of van, and you will find that is why Bushtracker vans seem larger than the other vans in EACH size... Because they ARE larger...

Highest Quality Interior Finishes and Range in Australia. Cabinet doors and drawers in solid Tassis Oak in six styles, and all wearing surfaces on table and bench top edges in Tassie Oak. Others use artificial materials in glued and stapled frames with panelling scraps for inserts and you cannot live long term with that material. In our Tasmanian Oak, you can take the wearing surface, give it a light sand, and two minute dry spray pack laquer and it comes up new again. This only one of the reasons our second hand Bushtrackers hold their value, but: You need to come to the Factory and see a full range of features and equipment and interior finishes like these samples:

And there is more, MUCH MORE like these examples of what you will see at the Factory:

A-Frame going all the way through the van and becoming the chassis to the suspension, not just tacked on the front... If you think about it, and look at it, it is the only way to go, eliminating a weak point on many vans when you are talking about off-road work.

Why not Fibreglass wall panels? The fibreglass mouldings front and rear add unnecessary weight and cost, look cute, but at a cost that is not beneficial. The fibreglass exterior walls that are popular now, is even more of a liability for a number of reasons.. First, it is only a very thin layer of fibreglass over a foam core. This makes it very hard to repair if you have a prang in it. Secondly there is no adequate way to structurally bond bulkheads and cabinetry for extreme off road work. On yachts, they take and glass in layer after layer of fibreglass resin, matt, and cloth, over 600mm or more of hull in each direction. THIS IS STRONG. But that is not possible in a caravan, where it would add about 500 kg in weight and about $50,000 in cost to do it property.

And what is wrong with the fibreglass exteriors like so many Manufacturers are going to? It is not real fibreglass like a boat hull and structural, it is only a very thin layer over a foam core... And there are several disadvantages: Well first of all it is impossible to do a good job of through bolting cabinet bulk heads and sections together. Those walls are foam core.. That means only a thin layer of fibreglass over a foam core. This is also very difficult to repair, and about 10% of all Off-road vans will sustain some damage with trees or accidents. In a foam core wall, all you can do is bog it up and paint the wall, and this is not a satisfactory repair for anyone... This is cute and trendy, but long term it is not the quality of a Bushtracker that will last.

Our frames are structural, can be through bolted, and are easily repaired to as good as new, not bogged up and painted..! Here is something no one has done in 15 years, put a wall frame crew of 9 standing on a bare frame with no panelling or bulkheads or cabinetry in it yet... And the only other alloy wall Manufacturers are using too light of material. Our frames are 5mm think on the laps, both tack welded and diagonally riveted, but also thru-bolted.

Wiring through the frames in conduit, frame diagonally riveted, welded, and sections thru-bolted in joins 5mm thick. Then refrigeration cooler board insulation cut in neat and tight, freezing up the wiring.. This is quality you want to see:

Departure Angle and Skid Plates on the chassis: The departure angle in the back is probably a little more important than you might be thinking! It not just so that you don't drag out the back corner of the van when you go up a step bank, it is even more important so you can back the van up a steep bank. Sometime, when you have gone down a wrong track, you might find the need to do a three point turn to get you out of trouble instead of trying to back out the whole way. The departure angle allows the rear of the van to overhang a steep bank long enough for the wheels to start lifting the van, allowing you to back up a steep bank or hill or grading, so you can do that three point turn around Smile. In summary, the departure angle rake in the back, is necessary for backing up a steep bank in reverse or going up a steep bank in forward without dragging out the back of the van..... And is pretty important! The Skid plates are there to go over a little ledge and carefully lift the suspension off the ground to drag it off on the skid plates until the suspension hits the ground again... Carefully, slowly, but it does protect the van...

Why "Cargo Hold" instead of "Boot" in the front: The Boot concept is very popular for normal road running caravans. But imagine trying to get a big 16' tyre and wheel in there... !!! It would kill your back or kill the structure of the van... We mount our 16' tyres on the front, roll them up on the chassis, and lift them on the Duck Bill of the tyre mount so you can easily spin it around to align the bolt holes. Our "Boot" is a very large cargo hold that goes all the way across the van from side to side for most layouts. These things are all structurally designed to live with large wheels and tyres and cargo in off-road conditions.

Recessed Cargo Doors: These are hand built, and recess into an inner frame. The outer frame on the door, fits neatly into a an inner frame, with a rubber welt seal all the way around. As the Stainless locking T handles close the door, it pulls it in tight to the rubber welt. This makes it virtually dust proof and watertight....

I hope this helps you understand some of the unique and original design of the Bushtracker, that will affect your layout, but there is more, much more! Come and see the quality for yourself.. You owe it to yourself, to purchase the best, and see how a van is built before your buy it. Wink

Kind Regards, stg

Last edited by Bushtracker on Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:15 pm; edited 12 times in total
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, here is the culmination of why our vans are built so tough, and hold their value, in some REAL TIME experiences:

Besides the fact that our Bushtracker Owners report the highest resale prices of any Manufacturer in Australia... Besides the fact that of the 76 second vans we have built for our Owners that upgraded larger; (76 in just the last 4 years since we started counting second Bushtracker Owners).. We ask what they got for their old van and all but three of 76 reported getting their money back and most reported that they made a profit on their first van... Besides the obvious quality that allows you to travel in remote places in Luxury and Independence and Self-Sufficiency, despite all of this, here is another major reason to invest in the quality: You will develop CONFIDENCE in your "Home on the Road.." And how well it holds together if you DO make a Boo Boo Laughing

Here is a normal roll over picture of another Brand of caravan... Totally destroyed to spread wreckage... Sent in by a Bushtracker Owner:

In Contrast with regards to your "Home on the Road".... Here is the last Bushtracker rolled... Happened on the Tanami:

See the damage yet? Shocked

How about now, can you see the horrible damage yet? Shocked

How about from this angle, can you see the horrible damage done? Shocked Shocked

They just don't make clearance lights like they used too........ Laughing Laughing

And no matter what we do, we can't make them rock proof where they skid along the rocky track!! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Derrogatory comments ?? You will have to be inventive... Laughing Laughing

Mind you, don't try this with your van please. This is as good as it gets... I only show you these pictures to make a point that yes Bushtrackers have been a great investment for our Owners for the past 14+ years of Business (as of Dec 2009)... And yes they allow you to travel in remote country in Luxury and Independence and Self Sufficiency.... But, also there is a real issue here I am pointing out: I assert that if you DO make a BOO-BOO, Bushtrackers will hold up better than any other van out there.

In all Honesty: The Quality pays off in many ways... Your Lifestyle, your Investment, your Quality of Life, your Freedom of Movement in Luxury and Independence and Self-Sufficiency... But also in Confidence that you develop in owning one. They are built TOUGH, and when I say "Designed to last a Lifetime" this is EXACTLY what I mean...

Here is that same van after our repairs:

We have not cleaned off the red dust from the a-frame yet, but it will be back on the road, their "Home on the Road"... As good as new.. And none of the bog and paint you would have to do on a fibreglass panel van !!

Investing in quality has many ways of paying off...
Wink
God Bless, and God Speed
Ranger

Last edited by Bushtracker on Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:37 am; edited 4 times in total
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have redone the initial Post in this Topic with some new pictures of what we offer in the unique design features that make Bushtracker the best.
We really have no real Competitors, and we urge you to do your own research by visiting the Factories to see how vans are built before you buy. It evidence enough on its own if you look at theirs and then compare our Product. It will be dramatic, the differences you will see in design features, in equipment, in engineering, and it is also evident in quality of finish. This whole Category is here, to show you some examples of the highest quality in Australia, which is the Standard that we offer..

Yes this is evident in quality of finish, and also in comfort of Lifestyle. And yes: It is all about luxury, and independence, and self-sufficiency, that makes travel in remote areas a pleasure.. But also: The Engineering and equipment, allows you to do this in confidence. The payoff is also there in retained value. Our Owners report the highest resale values of any caravan in Australia. Of 76 Owners that have come back for a second van so far (Dec. 09) all but three of them we know of, got all their investment back; and most report turning a profit over what they paid for their first Bushtracker.

Quality is a value measured in many different ways..

When you come to visit Factories where vans are built, look for this kind of quality: Hand laid up fibreglass free form one piece showers and toilet rooms, never to leak, solid quality..

Done with 2 watertight doors in the shower for linens and towels...

Or separate toilet and shower like this:

And real cabinetry, solid Tassis Oak, dovetailed joints on drawers, quality that lasts and holds its value... When we say built to last a Lifetime, we mean it.. Wink

My personal invite: Come to the Factory, and see the best for yourself. After all, you owe it to yourself !! Wink
Loki of Condor

State:: WA
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: THE OVERALL UNIQUE EXTERIOR DESIGN FEATURES Reply with quote

[quote="Bushtracker]

Recessed Cargo Doors: These are hand built, and recess into an inner frame. The outer frame on the door, fits neatly into a an inner frame, with a rubber welt seal all the way around. As the Stainless locking T handles close the door, it pulls it in tight to the rubber welt. This makes it virtually dust proof and watertight....

[/quote]

Looking at this Post reminded me of something.

We picked up our Bushtracker in early October. One of the first things I noticed was the fit of the these Recessed Cargo Doors. They closed with almost a compression fit, ie, they felt like they were compressing the air in the cargo locker in order to close. The fit was that good. I was particularly interested in this because the (albeit a front) boot on my previous van was a piece of Camec rubbish that let the rain flood in and then followed up with dust. This was from one of the top four recognised off road van manufacturers although it's the only one based outside QLD.

I was very happy with the fit of these doors.

Then a few weeks later we were back at the factory to have our 1000kms service done before heading home to Perth. It was a stinking hot day and my wife and I were sitting in our Cruiser with the engine on running the aircon (note to BT, please splash out on a customer lounge with aircon, coffee machine and TV Laughing ).

I noticed a young bloke working on the cargo doors on a van (Alan Jackson's van actually) and he was spending what I thought was an inordinate amount of time getting everything right and making sure there weren't any stray dags of sikaflex hanging around. I felt sure that in any other factory the boss would have come out and given this bloke a rocket for taking too long on this job, but now, reading the quote above, I can see that they really are handmade and the result is there for everyone else to see too.
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Loki,

There are many reasons to buy quality, and many payoffs in the long run for not short changing your own Lifestyle. Yes we are the most expensive by about $10,000, but I assert that it is money well spent, and not only for the top resale value in Australia. It is quality of Lifestyle, and strength of build... Here is a van, that has done 150,000 kms in almost 6 years, by the Original Owner... Now, 150,000 kms is by no means a record, some have gone much further... So why the interest here for the Forum?

Because he has continued travelling even thought this van was put over on its side on the Hume Hiway with a cross wind and a B Double helping him out... Shocked Shocked Shocked He is only just today brought it in for repairs to get the Insurance Job done. His comments? "We just love the van".

Here is the damage if you look closely:

You who are in the Market for a new van, can decide about the quality of the vans by looking for yourself, but see how they are built.. Don't be fooled by the vans that copy our style and just look the part. Go see the inner strength and quality in detail to find out why we are the best. This Topic will have given you an inside peek, but come to the Factory to see the "whole enchillada"..

As the Director of Bushtracker, I started in mobile units at the Mira Loma Space Center in 1969.. After travel in Australia for many years, I set out 17 years ago to build the strongest and highest quality Off-road and On-road van in Australia, and Bushtracker was born. I will assert that quality pays off in many ways: Use of Product, Resale of Product, Longevity of Product, Value for money, and of course the all important continuing Bushtracker Lifestyle....

On the road with the Ranger...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> SO...WHAT MAKES BUSHTRACKER THE BEST? All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: