We went thataway

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> TRAVEL LOGS AND BUSHTRACKERS IN ACTION PICTURE GALLERY
View previous topic :: View next topic  
notes1952

State:: NSW
Current Bushtracker owner:: Yes
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: We went thataway Reply with quote

Who else has done it (yes we had a scout infront Very Happy ) Should also add that these photos were taken within 2hrs of each other last weekend..

[/img]
Theywent Thataway

State:: New South Wales
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems not.
Anyone guess where it is? Need a hint?

BIG tick on the "Must Do" list. Smile

Maz.

B&TwithBT

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not Yerranderie is is Maz
Teresa
Theywent Thataway

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES. Indeed it is! Not for the faint hearted.

The 17 year old daughter scouted ahead for us in a Vitara. She couldnt believe she was driving herself in after all these years of being a passenger every time (now 17 times in all) we went there. We had once told her to prepare to be our scout in return should we ever choose to take the BT Smile

The snow falling at Mt Werong becoming deep at Shooters Hill was an added bonus. Some of the children we had with us had never seen snow at all - let alone whilst it was falling. An awesome 4 day weekend was had by all.

M.

B&TwithBT

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which way did you go in, last time we went, we went through Dingo Dell in June 1997, definitely did not snow, has it changed much, I heard that the Water Board camp area is now closed. I also heard it may not be open for much longer as the old lady who has the lease doesn't go there anymore and once she is gone it will be handed over the the National Parks. She used to fly in every weekend from Mosman, It was a great place Bryn still has the T Shirt "The lost city".

Regards
Teresa
Theywent Thataway

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have been regulars for many years - and are constantly surprised at how few people know about it, let alone have visited. Val suggested we could take over once she wasnt able to - particularly as we were Home Schooling as well as leading tours throughout the area. We seriously contemplated it, but turned down the offer. We just continued to lead LOTS of 4wd trips into and around the township. Also planted a geocache (if that means anything to anyone Smile )

Val hasnt been a regular there for about 10 years, and handed it over a year ago to NPWS - but the usual caretakers still look after the place for them.

Termites have ransacked a couple of the buildings, but the Post Office and Slippery Norris' hut are still available for accomodation. The fees havent changed - still high.

We usually go in via Dingo Dell (sans BT), but its been way to wet. Ended up going via the Stock route from Oberon. No public access via Camden - and hasnt been for years. Theres always been "talk" of Sydney water taking vehicles that way...but they rarely - if ever - did.

Again, please be advised that this track is declared "unsuitable for caravans and long vehicles", and is mostly dirt from Shooters Hill. Do NOT attempt it without a scout. There are MANY very steep descents and inclines. The road follows a caldera and is incredibly winding and narrow. It takes few hours from Oberon and may well require low range in some places. There is no mobile phone service from Shooters Hill at any point, nor is there any fuel available anywhere en route. No elecricity, supplies of any sort, or emergency services in the ghost Town.

Well worth a look - but probably best without the BT. There is a well appointed NPWS free camp at Mt Werong, at the beginning of the dirt track. Takes about 2 hrs from there to the uninhabited township.

We will lead a BT trip in one day. This was the reccy.

Regards,

Maz.

B&TwithBT

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the time we went we had a lightweight camper and came in from Oberon and the Kanangra Boyd National Park (I think that is the name of the park) and came out throught Dingo Dell. Have not been that way for years but sounds as if the tracks have deteriorated. In 1997 the Water Board camp was open and the water there was better and yes I do remember having to take in everything as there were no supplies as you say. I remember the climb up the rock face, (the one in your photo) they told us about and thinking how dangerous it was without any railings etc, but still we all clambered up kids and all as we were told it was a view not to be missed. My sister stopped about half way as it became too difficult and she was scared of heights and waited for us to return. I remember grabbing hold of rocks and lifting my leg as high as I could to get the next foothold thinking I was mad. The kids and the men just scaled it relatively easily. I don't think I would be able to do that again. also with all the rules and regulations they probably would not let you anyway. Val yes that was her name, the woman that we met there, extremely interesting lady, she used to fly herself initially, then she had a pilot friend who brought her in, then I believe she had cartetakers when my sister in law went some years ago. That trip aswell as Newnes and the old ruins plus the Glo Worm caves,(well before 1997 I think around 1976) which you used to be able to drive the whole way before the road was washed away (that was when I was 1Cool before the pub was moved and still had its license.I can remember people going through the tunnel at the caves and disappearing and comeing back hours later, on questioning them where that had gone, they said the pub, and we said what pub out here, they were walking to where the pub used to be before the floods. Now I am going down memory lane.
Thanks for reminding of the memories and better times Maz

Teresa
Theywent Thataway

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make the best of today Teresa.....!!! These will be the good ol days before we know it Smile

I have taken groups of both adults and kids up that peak frequently....and still can today. Yes, its scary and dangerous...but SO exhilarating. There is a chimney that still today tends stop the faint hearted from continuing up any higher. It is all still in yesteryear mode. Very laid back.

Dingo Dell/ Kowmung has not deteriorated that much over the 10 or so years we've been using it. In fact, it may well have improved Sad The landowner allows passage on a strict track. Not maintained...but easy enough low range 4wding in the dry. In the wet....almost impassable. Have never yet needed to winch ourselves on it but have helped a lot of others to. There is an easy access campground at the top on the Kanangra Walls road where you could leave the BT and go play.

Reminiscing is a great thing. Sometimes one returns and the heart sinks for one reason or another, but, at other times the memory is happily added to by the new experience of the same place.

From memory, Teresa, it was you who said you'd be interested in tagging along if we go again.. even before you picked up the BT. Is that correct?

Maz.
[color=indigo]

B&TwithBT

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Maz, it was, you have a good memory too. That was when we had the 200 series, we have now sold that and bought a chevy silverado, 4wd.

Regards
Teresa
markB

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have always had Yerranderie on our list of places to go.

Can you tell what will be the best way to get into it - coming from Newcastle?

We won't be towing the BT as we are waiting delivery.

We have been to Kanangra Walls and Dingo Dell.

Thanks

Mark
Theywent Thataway

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been on the (very long) road of late...so slow reply. Sorry.

No BT?... Dingo Dell for the adventure, then the Old Colong Stock Route from where it comes in.. Easy peasy...in Low Range.

OR.... Denman, Bylong, Turon Gates/Hill End and Bathurst, Oberon, Shooters Hill then the Stock Route. Now THATS an adventure! Very Happy

Just drive....enjoy the journey........

M.

markB

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that. Now I need to get off my butt and organise a weekend.

Cheers
Mark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> TRAVEL LOGS AND BUSHTRACKERS IN ACTION PICTURE GALLERY All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: