SPARES TO TAKE ALONG, AND NEXT STEP FOR ADVENTURERS, A KIT..

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> Tips on TOW VEHICLES
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bushtracker
Site Admin

State:: Queensland
Current Bushtracker owner:: Yes
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:41 am    Post subject: SPARES TO TAKE ALONG, AND NEXT STEP FOR ADVENTURERS, A KIT.. Reply with quote

The "Lone Ranger" has gone into more remote country than most..... Here, and as far away as Africa on Game Patrol.... I like to feel and in fact be... INDEPENDENT

Now what that means, is I travel with basic survival goods: Water, matches, COMPASS and map, extra fuel, radios, at least a .22 rifle (can't go there as we are not allowed to talk about such things, Ha!) and a very good Medical Kit!!! Note: A basic Cookbook on First Aid, and a good med-kit is essential...

But there is one more thing that is overlooked by most people... YOUR HORSE.. And this is in two parts:

FIRST, THE KIT EVERYONE SHOULD HAVE IN THE OUTBACK:
I think if you are going into very remote locations, you should have a few more spares for your Donkey... Simple things like spare belts, for everything... And maybe spare hoses.. Spare fuel filters, fuses, all the basics that people really should carry anywhere.. And a tool kit OF COURSE... First aid kit, water, 4x4 recovery kit, UHF radio, a shovel, the basic 4x4 equipment should be in every vehicle venturing far afield..

Stage II Now, a gold Fossicker, gem stone, bone digger (palaeontologist), fossil collector, or just an Intrepid Explorer? Does that sound like you???

Then for you really serious remote Adventurers there are maybe a few more things to consider to keep you going like a "Bead Breaker" and good tyre repair kit, and some more advances spares for the engine that don't weigh all that much... Like a water pump, maybe even a starter, (I do), (no not crazy, money in the bank, if you don't use it, it is always worth good money). And here is the MAIN ONE: Spare fuel filters for bad or contaminated fuel (I carry a half dozen) look, with a glug of bad fuel you could need a half dozen to get through the tank... The further you go out Bush, especially once you start pumping out of Stations storage or drums, you could get some algae or fungus in the diesel... Also take some oil in case you spring a leak. High Lift Jack is nice, and the all important shovel.. Have one and you won't need it.. Don't have one and see what happens. But look, a Col-Lite, Shovel, these things are handy around camp anyway; so keep them in the tow vehicle.

And this opens up an important topic for the modern tow vehicles that are computerized... Really Remote??? I would seriously consider carrying a spare EECU (Engine Electronic Control Unit) Black Box computer that the engine cannot run without... Depending on the tow vehicle, look at some of those electronic things that you might need.. Yes, I even have one for my Mack 4x4... An electrical problem, nearby lightening strike, and bang- You are walking...

Now the second part of this if you are going into really rough and remote country, like gold fossicking in the far parts of the Pilbara or something; is having someone else that is reliable like a Relative, know where you are going...And when you should be checking back in... So if you are overdue, at least someone can raise the alarm and know which direction to look in !!! Shocked
Cool Cool

I would back away from thinking that electronic gadgets like a Satt Phone can always save you, so you don't need to be that independent.... Unless you have a good back up like a HAM Radio, or Codan HF, I would not be smug about my one Satt Phone.... Take it if you have it, but these other things are important as well... Things like a Satt Phone have a bad habit of letting you down when you most need them if that is your ONLY back up... Better to be independent with the kind of real self-sufficiency listed above.

And incidentally, water is KING... And if you are out in the Desert, STAY WITH YOUR VEHICLE AND SEEK SHELTER... If you are overdue, they will spot you from the air and come for you... Almost all fatalities are people that start off on foot to walk out... Better to have let people know where and when you are going to really remote places and when you expect to check back in; and stay with the shelter of your vehicle... So someone can find you.... This is particularly important when venturing into remote desert regions.

You can learn about other things like plastic sheet condensation collectors for water from morning dew, and such; but it sure helps to have some basic tools and back up parts...

Cheers from the "Lone Ranger"
"Going where no Man has gone before" (Star Trek)... Ha!
Trakka

State:: Western Australia
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:12 pm    Post subject: Tips on Tow Vehicles - Emergency Equipment Reply with quote

Steve,

I went along to the 4WD Show in Perth last weekend and came across a stand selling what I believe is a very handy piece of gear for those intending to travel well off the beaten track - many experienced off roaders would most likely have come across this item - it was a tyre bead breaker and tyre installer in one package.

The demo was so good and it shows that any one, including our good wives, can easily break a bead on a tyre and even exchange the complete tyre without any real hassle or muscle required.

Anyone interested in this tool can visit www.randrbeadbreaker.com for further information. Having this tool on board can change carrying complete spare wheels to just tyres only resulting in a weight saving and possible cost of twin spare carriers.

I liked it and bought it.

Regards,
Bow & Nan

State:: NSW
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pergola
Have one in our tool kit I would not go anywhere without it.
They are so easy to use our 2nd spare tyre has no rim. Helps to keep the weight down. Very Happy
Don't know if it will work on our new 200 series alloy rims. Confused

Greg
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg, Peter,

I hope others take your lead and get one themselves... Particularly of value when we approach something like this new 200 Series..

We will not know if we can even use the 200 Series wheels without spacers or spyders to space them out so they will fit on our brakes for a little while yet.. But even so, if Toyota follows true to form like the have with the last few models, there will be no Aftermarket wheels available for about 2 years, AND stock original wheels from Toyota will be priced OVER the moon... My guess is $600 + for alloys... Confused Sad

So, the obvious answer for one spare is the Beadbreaker, until conditions change and wheels become available and afordable either aftermarket or from wrecking yards... I personally have not had a two spare tow vehicle since my stretched Troopie in the 1990's... All three of my Fords, I have only had one spare for... And I have personally owned a Beadbreaker since the 1990's, the original "Beadbreaker", gold coloured anonodized in a kit with spare patches and bits and pieces and two tyre flat bars... And of course an air pump...

The best air pump I have had, having owned an ARB (still do) and a Hurricane (still do), the best is a TYPHOON twin head unit. This is available from commercial truck supply places, twin pump either end, similar to the expensive $800-$900 units, only this costs $179. I have owned mine for 1 1/2 years, allen head bolt down real heads on it, and I think it pumps not only high volume but also to 100 psi... Anyway, we are so impressed, Bushtracker just bought another one for Matthew to take with him in the Disco 3... Wink What a bargain, if anyone likes I can show a picture of it.. Smile

Actually, the Typhoon seems to be a very good deal for the unit.. Comes with a air gauge on the tight coil hose, in a carry case... Looks like the leading $800 twin pump twin head unit, only inexpensive.. I ask the Truck Parts shop that sold it about the quality and reliability, and they said out of over 100 sold, they only got back one or two defective.. 1-2% failure rate is pretty good. Mine is perfect and I have used it a bit on the farm... Want pictures??? Picture worth 1000 words.. Very Happy

Regards, stg
Bushtucker man

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,
Show us a picture!!!! I am about to buy a new compressor and this is one I have not come across yet.
Stan
Trakka

State:: Western Australia
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:48 pm    Post subject: Spares to be Carried with the Tow Vehicle Reply with quote

Greg (Bow & Nan),

my vehicle also has alloy rims and R & R provide a set of rim protectors so that the alloys don't get damaged from the levers. They cost about $30 and are shown on the website.

I tried to attach a pic but looks like I missed out!!

Regards,[img]
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you go Bushtucker Man.... Pictures by request.
The Typhoon:

Mine is more than a year old now... On another chat Forum when I told them about it, someone bagged it and reported a rumour about how faulty it was... And someone actually came on and thanked him for it !!! Ha! Laughing They should have checked it out.. Wink

Anyway, a year on and going good enough for us to by another one for Matthew.. My Supplier, a Big Rig Shop for truck spares reported well over 100 sold they could think of and only 1-2 returns... Our current supplier is an Electrical Distributor and reports the only returns, were that some time ago there was a faulty batch at one stage, but that was taken care of, and all the current ones are good...

In our experience this unit is a bargain. Wink Regards, LR
Bushtucker man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Steve for the prompt reply and photos, I will check them out in Sydney, if I can't do any good I shall have to wait until we pickup the van.

Keep all that good information coming we all appreciate it

Cheers, Stan
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the kind words Stan,

and because of that, I did the research for you... (Only took a phone call) If you look on the box it says "Projecta" and that is a subsidiary of Narva.. I think available from about 100 Outlets in the Sydney area, as well I am told some Repco and some ARB outlets...
You should be able to find it. Call a Truck parts place as one associated with Kenworth I believe also carries it, and where I got mine..

Regards, stg
Rosco

State:: Victoria
Current Bushtracker owner:: No
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:16 pm    Post subject: Air compressor Reply with quote

Brown & Hurley Group Pty Ltd117 Pacific Hwy Tweed Heads (07) 5523 3299 is where I got mine.
They also have other offices over the state. Paid $165 from memory.
I agree with Steve, excellent value.

www.brown-hurley.com.au

Rosco
Rosco

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:40 pm    Post subject: Suggestion - new heading Reply with quote

Steve,
This may warrant a topic on its own.
Tips and reviews of equipment and aftermarket add-ons.
What do you think?

Rosco
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it Rosco...
But we should do it in the Owners section I think... And the Brown and Hurley bit is correct, we got one through there. I actually discovered it in a truck stop flicking through a truckie mag waiting for lunch. Regards stg
Grumblebum and the Dragon

State:: Qld/NSW
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Water is the absolute MUST HAVE if broken down in the bush. Steve, mentioned solar stills either large clear plastics bags stuffed full of live green tree foliage (not the stuff that creates white sap if bruised or broken) or plastic sheets to condense fresh water from anything ...

These bits of plastic weigh nothing and are multi use for protection, storing water or water-proofing stuff etc.

Another useful tool is a a length of 2 to 2.5" pipe sealed at one end and some strong fishing line. This can be used to recover water from bores and wells and can be a life saver.

I also carry a small portable HF radio, with whip and wire antena's a great one-to-many comms system for emergency use when well beyonf the reach of UHF comms.

Cheers John

Grumpy? Whose's grumpy - not the Dragon!!
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John and Jean are right on...
They made a lifestyle out of babysitting really remote Stations out in the Never Never of W.A..... I did not want to scare or burden anyone, but I carry a modified HAM rig when I am going waaaaay out... Myself.

Yaesu, Icom, or Kenwood, can be modified for "Full Band Transmit" and they are made that way, simply clip one diode... Now it is illegal to use them for traffic on the normal HF Frequencies... HOWEVER, The Number One rule of International Radio is: in an Emergency is there are no rules... So you can break in on any Marine Frequency, HF Frequency, Military, Government, Ham Radio Clubs, ANYTHING... MAYDAY MAYDAY MAYDAY This is ******* and I am at ******* and the emergency is *********** And you will have at any one time about 1000 people around the world listening in on any commonly used frequency, all too happy to make a phone call to relative Authorities.. I used to teach General Class Ham Radio, back when you had to go from Novice to Technician which was a bit of an electrical bug in the Technical end of things, before you got your General Class "Talkie" License.

With a little study, of what frequencies, and understanding how to set up duplex as well as simplex frequencies on your radio and you can go world wide on a whip... Mind you this is a bit extreme, most of the time (99%) someone will hear you if you have a scanning UHF you will get traffic... But anyway, in an emergency you are never out of range.

I was one of the Loonies talking to HAM rigs in Russia, on a Yacht off California, MM (Mickey Mouse Net really Maritime Mobile, N6NHK ex KB6KFX) and them coming back in code: "Yes, and the weather here is cloudy today, and No, but we hear the wind is coming.. it is blowing to the NE" That sort of coded answers, given out of fear of discovery... When it is a hobby on a yacht you are doing everything from relaying messages from Antarctic stranded scientist back to home, to talking with lonely New Zealand light house keepers... Laughing

I loved the Kenwood 430, and 440-S, and now have a Kenwood TS 50-S compact and auto antennae tuner.. Mind you this is very extreme, and outside the normal kit, but if you have the money and any trepidations, you need never be out of range.

But these days, HF is almost obsolete in good times as Sat Phone is getting so easy. I am just a bit of a dinosaur and still like the HF rig.

Thanks to Grumblebum and Dragon for reminding me of ANOTHER hobby of mine I don't have time for ... Laughing Laughing Wink

CQ, CQ, CQ, this is November Six November Hotel Kilo calling, Anyone out there Question .............. Another life... Wink stg
mike

State:: Qld
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, You say that HF is almost obsolete, I would like to think not. I belong to 3 clubs VKS737,VH2RGC and the RFDS. I have a Kenwood 440s , such a fantatic radio. In the ute I use a Codan 9323 and a Codan 9313 in the Bushtracker and as back up I have a 8525. When at home (Aust) A day doesn't go by without 2 or 3 contacts. The VH2RGC club is such a friendly club that there are contacts made from Nth Qld to Vic daily. When travelling, the HF is sometimes better to listen to than the radio.
Whilst visiting friends, in Arnhem Land, on the coast fishing, there was an illegal fishing boat which had a net (500 meters) completley across a river mouth. Using my HF, I used a interconnect, to Darwin and phoned the Customs in Camberra, after giving them my Grid they told me that a plane would do a fly over the next morning. Boat, net, and fish long gone.
Would I travel without a HF? NO.
Would I buy a sat phone? NO.
HF is a hobby that I will keep, as long as someone will talk to me. When I get home, you better get out the 440S and warm it up.
N6NHK this is VH2RGC moble 13 out.

Mike.
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VH2RGC moble 13, Mike, November six November Hotel Kilo calling... No worries, HF will always be alive for me. The first thing to go out in a time of National Emergency will the all the high tech Satellite dependent toys, and then HF is King...

On another note..................
Hello Friends,
The Typhoon continues to gain in popularity... Despite misinformation on another Forum due to a small bad batch that was corrected, despite a partial viewpoint rumor, note that it has proven to be a very good deal in the compressor range and now another Chain is carrying it at maybe the cheapest price yet... At $165... See it at:

4WD1.com [sales@4wd1.com]

Out Scouting for you, full time, da lone Ranger is on the trail...

Semper Fidelis
Innkeepers

State:: New South Wales
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:15 am    Post subject: QRZ !!!! Reply with quote

Well it's surprising how many HF radios are out there in the 'Big Paddock'.
I have had a HAM Radio Licence since 1979 and still have an active interest in HF radio while travelling.

I have an Icom 706 MK11-G installed in the Landcruiser and have interfaced it with a Codan 9350- 2- 30 Mhz Auto Tune whip antenna on the bull bar. That antenna is fantastic as it tunes with a push of a button and it will tune any freq you need. So for RFDS or VKS-737 or Ham or any of the other HF Club Freq's this antenna is just the ticket while mobile.

It also is a VERY ROBUST design and used the world over for remote mobile comms.

Anyway, just thought I'd share that bit of info...and maybe I should stick it under it's own topic in the forum as it might not be noticed here.

So N6NHK....do you copy VK4HF....you're 5 and 9 with me on this fine day "Down Under".....

Yes VK4HF I read you 5 X 5, I had a VK4 Outback License here about 1994- but I forget what the call sign was... Rolling Eyes So, N6NHK, ....73's We're Clear... Ranger

Cheers All
Rick VK4HF
THE WARDEN

Current Bushtracker owner:: Ordered
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All
Its been some 7 months since the Rangers recomendation of the TYFOON compressor. Anyone out there who purchased one got a review. Also where did you purchase it and how much. Any people using other brands your coments would be most welcome. This seems to be a important piece of equipment if you venture off the black stuff having to air up and down all the time to look after the rig and van. I need to invest in a new one to make the chore of doing this much easier and not so L O N G!!!!
CHEERS
THE WINDALES
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windales,

I am actually on about 2 1/2 years on my Typhoon, bought some time in 2006. They have been great, except for one reported batch that had problems about 2 years ago.. The big truck parts Mobs that service Kenworth even carry them, and that is where I bought mine out of a truck magazine... The comparable twin head unit from the 4x4 Magazines is several times the cost. I still see no faults in this unit....

I have heard of only one blowing a head gasket, but it is an allen key job to tweak them up once a year or even cut a new paper gasket... Really, going on three years now it is still the best deal on a compressor I have seen.

Or you can follow me around, I have a wind out hose real to a 250 CFM compressor gear drive, on the Mack.. Laughing Laughing

Kind Regards from da Ranger...
AJ and LJ

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: HF radio Reply with quote

This is a problem I am having as an (ordered van),is an emegency comunication.Can anyone tell me how to obtain a licence for one and do they get out nomatter where you are,as I am trying to get away from ongoing plans eg phones etc.Can you use them to chat and are they hard to operate,and which setup do people find the best,and do they still draw a lot of energy.Any info would be good.Al.
The Hob

State:: QLD
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe this site will help with basic info

http://www.exploroz.com/Vehicle/Accessories/HFRadio.aspx

Alan
Brambo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

STG,

Regarding the Projecta Typhoon Compressor (pictured above), I found one on ebay from 4wdextreme in South Australia. Free postage to my home in Lara Victoria, paid $165.00 - brand new, in box.

Purchased Monday 3rd November, arrived today. This is one good compressor considering it's physical size.

Thanks for the tip, great work.

Cool Man, Cool Happy to be of a help!! Mine is all of three years old, still trucking along... When I told others about it on another Forum someone came on and bagged it!! There was a rumour that was actually a batch problem with about 50 of them 3 years ago, all recalled. And someone else went on the Forum and thanked them for the Bag of it.. Laughing Laughing They lost out and shouldv'e listened to the lone Ranger...! Laughing Mine has done 4x4 tyres, Tractor tyres, Mower tyres... I slightly tightened the Allen Head Bolts about a 1/4 turn after running it hot.. And it is still trucking along just great!! The other twin head 4x4 Magazine version is somewhere around $800-900. From memory I paid about $169 for mine three years ago.... Great Value!!

Regards, lone Ranger out sniffing out the trail for a Lifestyle... Wink
Brad & denise

State:: WA
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Projecta Typhoon compressor Reply with quote

Hi Brambo
I am interested in one of these compressors and have had a look at 4wdextreme ebay site. I notice here are more than one Thphoon listed, one at $165 and one at $185. I can't see any difference, can you enlighten me.
Many thanks to all for all this info.
Brad
Brambo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad, I reckon there is 2 models. The Typhoon which has the 600 watt motor, and the Storm which is the 400 watt motor. I purchased the Typhoon, which is the one Steve Gibbs has, too (I'm pretty sure).

After a search on ebay, there is a couple around, but beware of the difference in the wattage! Stick with the Typhoon - make sure the item description says 600 watts. I see one seller has buy-it-now for $185.00.

Here is a link for the same seller I purchased from on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/PROJECTA-AIR-COMPRESSOR-TYPHOON-12V-150PSI-4X4-CARAVAN_W0QQitemZ320316173699QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item320316173699&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A1%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Hope this helps.
Brad & denise

State:: WA
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:41 pm    Post subject: Typhoon Reply with quote

Thanks Brambo
I am not to flash with electics. Great help.

Brad
Retirement is a bit further away but trying
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well here it is in May 2009. I thought I finally KILLED this Typhoon Laughing

I ran it on a low truck battery, and ran the battery down too far. Now when the voltage drops in a battery, the Amperage goes up... It got the Air Compressor too hot, wires too hot, and I locked up the compressor and burned out the wiring. The fuse holder actually melted down. Twisted Evil

My bad... I abused the gear, and it should have died. Anyway, I took it into the Shop, and had the Sparky run heavier wires to it, and some heavier clamps, and a MAXI Fuse of 40 amps....

And the silly thing is still going... They bagged this piece of gear on another Forum, just because there was a defective batch. This one was going a year when they bagged it, and here it is resurrected and still running hard after three plus almost 4 years now!

No it is not a $800-$900 double pump unit, it is only a lowly $165 Typhoon... And it has been abused on the Horse Property for years now. Here it is with 8mm wire, and a 40 amp Maxi Fuse. If you do not abuse it with low voltage and high amperage on an uncharged battery, you might not need this upgrade. But I did it a bit overkill.

I have been neglectful on checking the air pressure on my 100 Series as I have not driven it much for a good six months. My 285/75 R-16s were down to about 35psi. I just tested the Typhoon, abusing it, and pumped up all four 285's to 45 psi non-stop. And it is running GREAT !! You should give it a little cool down every other tyre. I still recommend this unit, abused mine and it STILL keeps going... Another solid fair test, abusing the gear, R&D on your behalf...

Cheers, road Ranger
THE WARDEN

Current Bushtracker owner:: Ordered
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: pumps Reply with quote

STG

Is this pump still your recomendation or is the ARB the go?

Have you done back to back testing with them yet?
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> Tips on TOW VEHICLES All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: