INTRODUCING THE NEW FULL IMPORT 09-10 FORD SUPER DUTY RANGE
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> Tips on TOW VEHICLES
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Condinup

State:: WA
Current Bushtracker owner:: Yes
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome,
Thanks for the feedback, gives me a bit more confidence that all will be good.
What pressure do you run in the TA's for average gravel roads Craig?
Have run the mitchelins down to 50 psi but not sure how low to go
Re
MG
gregbroome

Current Bushtracker owner:: No
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all,
I very much appreciate everyone's opinions on this topic.
Guess as a prospective buyer I need to understand how much difference there is between ownership of a Jap 4wd versus the Ford. Have lived with long range fuel tanks, good choice of aftermarket suspension, extra batteries etc for so long it's a leap of faith to change.
Yes, the obvious answer is to ring a dealer and ask questions, but I would prefer to hear from owners first.
What are people doing to increase fuel capacity?
Which dealer would people recommend? I see Barbagallos are flogging them in Perth. Living in Broome, I have to travel which ever way it goes.
Greg.
Bushtracker
Site Admin

State:: Queensland
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg in Broome,
If you do a little more reading in the Category WHAT SIZE OR TYPE OF BUSHTRACKER, the differences in the vehicles is really about size of van... Landcruiser is still the most popular for vans up to 20-21'. But a heavily loaded 21' and up, or someone wanting to carry a larger boat and so on, and you are up for the larger tow vehicles.

They both will get about the same fuel economy, towing big... Smaller van: It is better to stay Landcruiser for back up Service and so on in the Outback.. Larger van or big payload, then yes the American luxury trucks have the horsepower.. Now, there is the largest and the best Ford Importer doing conversions in Melbourne, VDC. Their retail arm is now split off and is Harrison F-Trucks...

Personally I would say get your Bushtracker organized in size and equipment and then decide. Also, Shogun Conversions is setting up a plant in the Phillipines, and says they are going to import the Dodge Cummins Diesel trucks at Landcruiser prices later this year.. Another reason to wait and get your Bushtracker ordered first (July Deliveries now) and get the tow vehicle to suit later as it gets closer to the Bushtracker Delivery.

I can tell you the Dodge Cummins Diesel in my Crew Cab Laramie, is magic. The beauty is they will be way cheaper than Chev or Ford, but there is another huge advantage. My 2012 is backed up by Chrysler, Shogun, and Cummins Australia, and parts are cheap. From Cummins Australia I just got fuel filters for $25 and oil filters for $15, and Cummin Valvoline Blue Synthetic for $120 a 20 ltre drum... That is all cheap.

Further, you can hardly get your hand in to even change a filter on the Duramax Chev, and the Ford is set up for "Cab Off" to do major work on the engine. The Dodge 6.7 Cummins Turbo, is a big rig style 6 cyl... You have both sides of the engine to work on. Further, it can idle for air conditioning or heat, for long periods of time. In the snow of Yellowstone, one guy had 200,000 kms on his Dodge Cummins, and idled it 8 hours a day for cab warmth. All he had to do was change the oil more often as the long idle thinned out the oil with diesel.. In summary, get your Bushtracker ordered first, vehicle second... You are welcome to see mine when you come for a visit..

Kind regards, on the road with the Ranger..

Last edited by Bushtracker on Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:49 am; edited 1 time in total
gregbroome

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply Steve.
Have booked my ticket to Perth, so will have a chat with someone then.
Makes sense to order the BT first, but trying to get used to the idea of going bigger in vehicle and what that entails.
Have an idea I am going to have to go large (22'?) to achieve a layout to suit, and as you keep impressing - safety first. Can't agree more.
Then GVM issues with the toys we must have!
The other vehicles you mention are also interesting......
Much prefer to work on a straight six than a "v", any day.
It's all fun,
Greg.
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have just been shut down on the Perth Show.. Just happened today...

They require Sales Persons Licensed and Bushtracker Licensed for Sales in W.A. and both are a lengthy undertaking we cannot get done this year... Even though we are only displaying, the W.A. Government has these regulations put on the Show. Mind you, it should have been in our original Booking documents, which it was not...

Sorry, you will need to come to the Factory anyway.. Cool
Condinup

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Greg,
Yes, I purchased mine from Barbagello. Nothin more than a seller really. VDC do the conversions and they seem to have done a very professional job as you would expect. I fitted an alloy bar from Gitsham in Adelaide, it was a toss up between them and Irvin. Irvin is probably a little better built but the Gitsham looks better in my opinion.
I put a Titan plastic long range tank in. Replaces the oringinal and takes it out to about 190 lts. Range of over 1000 ks and with the van 7-800 min. Steel ones are available as well but the factory one is plastic and Titans are well made ex the USA.
The 350 has two batteries standard so I just fitted a third in the drawers in the back for the fridge etc. They also have a factory fitted tow bar and factory brake controller.
F Trucks in Perth can source all sorts of goodies and handle any service work and supply filters etc. There are also a number of good suppliers in the east as well.
Fitted a Leer fibreglass canopy to mine, very well built and looks good but it is a bit hard to dust seal the tail gate so not sure how it will go. Obviously the custom gullwing alloy body would be the go but could get expensive. On the wish list I guess.
As these new vehicles inprove with technology and reliability, Im not sure that I intend to spend much time under the bonnet. I have had very little if any issues with about my last three or four Toyotas and I dont see the Ford being any different. Other than dealing with fuel filters and the small issues, Im not sure that much else could be achieved on the side of the road without all the electronic goodies and passwords to diagnose whether it be a Ford or anything else.
There is plenty of aftermarket exhaust and chip options but dont feel the need as yet.
Other than putting some tyres on and maybe looking at some better rear shocks, it all seems good.
I guess it comes down to what comprimise suits you best.
Re
MG
gregbroome

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again MG.
Good to read you have all the usual touring goodies sorted.
They are certainly a great truck with phenomenal ability.
And yep, I think in spite of what many people think, new vehicles are more reliable and take less servicing than they ever did. As long as you don't keep them for too long, should serve you well.
Last year there was a bloke just up from Drysdale who had destroyed the front diff in his 80 series. There he was on a tarp amongst the heat, dirt and flies trying to remove the front shaft etc. Even if you know how to work around these break downs, they are still horrible and expensive. Moral of the story, if you can afford low mileage vehicles, get 'em. There were many broken vehicles littering the road around that time. Too many hard miles, too little maintenance.
Will keep my ears and mind open and listen to advice from those with the knowledge.
Greg.
Andrew & Jen

State:: SA
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hullo Craig, Condinup and Greg
I would appreciate any guidance re tyre pressure for various conditions / speeds for an Effie with dual rear wheels.
I run the LC80 with 36/38 at 100 on the bitumen, 28 at 80 on an open surface and down to 18 (or lower if nec) on rock or mud and max 40 kph.
I am unsure what I should be using on the F250 with F350 rear springs and dual wheels.
Thanks
Andrew
Condinup

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andrew,
My 350 srw came with mitchies all round at about 70-80 psi, which were lowered to 50 all round. Have been running this pressure for both sealed and good gravel with little load.
Will be changing to Goodrich TA shortly and am not sure where to go with them. Hopefully lower to improve ride a little. Will be keen to see others input.
Your cruiser pressures are very similar to what I run in my cruisers.
Re
MG
Andrew & Jen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MG
Thanks for that.
What puzzles me is that the LC weighs about 3t and this is shared across 4 tyres.
The rear axle of the F250 is about the same (3t) and yet the tyre pressures people run are far higher - some up to 70psi!
BTW, I am replacing the nearly worn out Wranglers with Toyo Open Country ATs. I have had an extremely good run with Toyos on a couple of vehicles, both in terms of long wear and resistance to punctures.
I don't know whether you log in to ExplorOz. Mick O has Toyo MTs on his "tuck truck" (as I have as a second set on the LC) and has written extensivley on their performance. I got a quote the other day - $255 ea for 235x85R16LT AT - which means with 6, I get one "free" cf some other brands.
Regards
Andrew
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoaaa there Big Fella!

In the case of F-250, and F-350: This is about LOAD RATINGS.... It is designed to carry about four times the load of a Landcruiser, or ten times if it was a F-350, or 15 times if it was an F-350 DRW (Dual Rear Wheel). Your vehicle will have a Minimum Load Rating.

This not about size, it is about thickness layers and sidewall "Ply" and reinforcing to carry the appropriate load. Look for that tyre load rating on the inside of the door or frame. The right tyres will have maximum tyre pressure for heavy loads, up in the 65-80 lb range. This is horses for courses, and you cannot compare tyres on just size, it is about the designated load rating, the letter after the size in most cases. Right now my Dually is running the size of 235/80 R17, but the critical part is the speed and load rating of 120/117R Load Rang E

Failure to meet that minimum, that results in a tyre failure and accident, and you are an Illegal Motor Vehicle with your Insurance null and void..

On the road, Ranger
Andrew & Jen

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hullo Steve

The Toyo Open Country LT ATs have a load rating E, so no issues there.

My question is related to tyre pressures. The LC carries 3.2t with 4 D694LT tyres, with the rear axle taking 2t, ie, 1t each wheel. At 38psi, I get a good ride, good wear and minimal heat build up at 100kph on an open sealed road. The maximum tyre pressure for these tyres is 80psi, presumably used when carrying their full rated load of 1.5t.

The F250 (with F350 rear springs and dual tyres) as used by us has ~3.2t on the rear axle shared across 4 tyres, ie, 0.8t each. (note that at GVM it would be about 3.8t) Given that the rated load is reduced by about 9% for duals (presumably due to reduced heat loss), I am puzzled why the recommended tyre pressures are so much higher, as the load we carry is about 60% of the rated load. Conservatively I would have thought 45psi would be OK, and yet I have heard that some people run them as high as 70psi.

So I am interested in what tyre pressure owners of F250/350s use for sealed and open surface roads.

Cheers
Andrew
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DRW are a different kettle of fish. The Dually has its own set of rules vrs the single rear wheel (SRW).. You have to look at your load and tyre wear on the highway. 60% loading, 45 psi cold would seem about right, even less because it is a dually.

Outside corner wear on the tread, is low tyre pressure. Off road, you have to look at your load and how fast you are travelling, and how bad the corrugation is.. I have run down in the 20's psi. It is very hard going on the van with a dually, you have to slow right down as the DRW transmits a lot of shock down to the van. You really need the girder bar strap under the a-frame, and some kind of an air hitch shock absorber type with a dually... They just ride too hard unless you really load them up, and you would need something like this Air Safe Hitch, now legal in Australia:

Do that, or prepare to be fixing the van up as you transmit road shocks to the van banging down the a-frame...

Road Ranger
Andrew & Jen

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Steve
I appreciate your comments that come directly from experience.
I already have an Air Safe Hitch and, based on my experience so far, will be fitting it with shock absorbers to dampen the rebound when going slowly, ie, under about 50 kph
Cheers
Andrew
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> Tips on TOW VEHICLES All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: