SECOND HAND PRICES, AND UPGRADING AND RENOVATIONS:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> Upgrading Second Hand Bushtracker Vans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bushtracker
Site Admin

State:: Queensland
Current Bushtracker owner:: Yes
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:26 pm    Post subject: SECOND HAND PRICES, AND UPGRADING AND RENOVATIONS: Reply with quote

Hello Friends,

In the past decade say up to about the 2009 GFC (Global Financial Crisis), most Owners sold their pre-loved Bushtrackers at a profit. Really, like maybe 90-95%. However, the GFC has cost people in the second hand market to lose confidence in parting with big money… The New Bushtracker Owner, is still powering on, I mean we are as Booked out as ever. The “New Bushtracker Owner” is the sort that has been planning this for maybe 25 years, many are dealing with their Super payout or retirement package, and they are not going to let a little thing like the GFC change their plans. Laughing

The ones that are hesitant, lost confidence, are the ones that are buying second hand to save a little money. Well, second hand prices are down, I mean down more than I would have thought they could be.. People are dumping their vans in some cases, at prices that are really below what I would think the market should be.. But I guess that is the effect of the GFC, and some want to liquidate to use their money for other purposes. Well OK, does this spell opportunity?

Now, some are snapping up the good deals, and then bringing them to us to be updated. I mean some want to spend $15,000 for new leather, upgraded charging systems and batteries, Lithiums, Satellite dishes, new TV, forced air diesel heaters, power awnings, I mean really doing an equipment upgrade and update you can spend some money… Now before you suck wind thinking of $15,000 spent, they could be being very smart about this. If it is a 20’, that extremely well equipped like they want could be $130,000, if they snap up a late model one for $85 k or $90,000 they can well afford to do a top notch upgrade. It just makes good sense. $$$

Now before you jump on this idea, there are some good constraints I will give you: You really cannot change the structure, it is impractical to actually change most of the layout due to windows, and structure, and marks on the floors and walls. Get a layout that is close to what you want. I mean maybe we could change café L-shaped dining to u-shaped, or visa/versa. Or and Island bed to single beds but it is possible. It is just too much with floor repair, and windows, and wall repair, it gets expensive. Such a structural change could be $5000-$6000 per major alteration like the ones described above, and this is not practical. Now if you want to upgrade to the newer air conditioning, or just add a diesel heater, and Satellite dish, and upgrade other things like charging systems and batteries, and entertainment systems, that sort of thing then OK> It makes sense.. Especially if you are getting a late model van at a reasonable price..

Otherwise, if you are not happy with the layout pretty much AS IS, do not plan on trying to change it.. Upgrade the gear, new everything, even leather, everything can make good sense IF you like the layout. It could be smart buying..

Kind regards, Admin, Director
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a new invention that will change the Industry, and history again, courtesy of Bushtracker...

If you bought a second hand Bushtracker, and the bump stops showed wear or are missing altogether, and it appeared it had been run hard and overloaded... If you are concerned that it has been abused: We have designed a 4140 steel axle stub, and perfected the attachment, and run it 100,000 kms. It is magic... What does that mean? What is 4140 steel? It is a machine tool steel, like a lathe shaft, tool fabrication steel shafting. What is the practical function for us? It will have a 60 Ton Shear rating.... Per Axle.... Shocked

Now is that necessary? Well, it makes our suspension the strongest in the Industry, and that is something... You can retro fit these suspension arms to your older Bushtracker, and make your Bushtracker even stronger than brand new...

If you were concerned your Bushtracker had been abused, and the axle stubs could be crystalized and brittle or cracked, this is peace of mind and fairly inexpensive in comparison to a new suspension... On costs it is subject to what we discover on teardown, but it could be in the $1500 to $2000 range for the retro-fit, depending on the condition of your spring packs and brakes and pivot blocks and wiring..

It will involve the change out of all four suspension arms. The suspension arms are not that expensive, the cost will come in with what we can re-use. If your bearings were in very good shape, then we leave them matched to the hubs and leave the races in place and clean them up and Service them. If they show any signs of wear or heating up or water pitting, it is not worth doing.

The brakes: If your backing plates are in good shape, mechanisms, shoes, then fine we can re-use them.

Spring packs: If they are fine, again, pivot blocks and all can be re-used.

Now the problem and expense will come in if the van has been abused and beat up and over loaded, because due to the labour costs it is not worth putting any gear back in that is in poor condition. Due to the labour costs while it is all torn down you need to update anything in poor condition as you will not get the cost effective use out of it, in relation to the labour costs. While it is torn down, you have to be ready and willing to renew whatever gear that needs replacing, and that is where the costs could build up.. There is probably a $1000 of variability on discovery that you would have to be willing to cover should it be found in poor condition...

Stay safe on the road, Ranger Wink
Sal and John

State:: Victoria
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, we now are the happy owners of a well used BT - managed to tow it home (300-odd km) on Saturday without any excitement.

No idea what the actual history was for the first owner (we're the third) so the undercarriage mod sounds like a good insurance - I'm not all that interested in pulling the assembly apart and doing some NDI checks on the structure.

Could you hazard a budget guess at what the high end dollars might be, please ?
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Sal and John,

First of all, I could not hazard a guess without seeing it. I mean it could be well cared for, springs could be good, you might just need a Service and get away cheap, like only a full Service for $495. That would be about 60% chance in probability... And we would do a full teardown all the way to clean inspect and repack on the bearings...

Then there could be like a 30% chance... That maybe you could show up, and the pivot blocks could be stuffed, and the bearings for the pivot blocks worn from metal to metal contact, the springs lost their arc, and bearings showing heat or water damage, and brakes with thin material left on the shoes or delaminating? I mean you could have a collection of neglect, and be up in a couple of thousand dollars to replace it all as new....

Then maybe in the worst case scenario, maybe 5% chance: If you brought it to us, and the bump stops were well worn or gone, and the suspension arms were bottoming out on the chassis, and it showed severe overloading abuse, or severe hard travel? Then and maybe the brake magnets worn on the actuating arms, and bearings shot? I mean if it generally showed abuse and hard travel, then you could take the option of actually replacing the suspension arms and all brake backing plates, bearings and all brand new, in the new 60 ton 4140 Tool Steel axle stubs... That would be peace of mind, all new brakes and backing plates and all new "stronger than new" suspension arms and axle stubs.. With the labour to change it over, wheel alignment, wiring in the brakes, new springs and the lot you could be up in the $3800- $4500 range, depending on what we can reuse...

But again, we would have to see it. We are fair and honest, we answer to a Higher Power. The possible variables are a little on size and a lot on condition, but we will show you the condition and the parts with our recommendation here at the Factory. You are in good hands with fair people to deal with, and my whole company is based on the what is "In Your Best Interests"...

Management at Bushtracker, Steven Gibbs, Director
Sal and John

State:: Victoria
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$4500 - that's what I needed for budgetary purposes.

Probably won't get to Brisbane for a while but when we do we'll arrange for a good once over and the undercarriage mod included.
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, Sal and John,
$4500 is a worst case scenario if the whole suspension was abused and wrecked and you wanted to up grade to the 4140 Tool Steel 60 ton tensile strength suspension arms... I mean what, 5% chance of that? In fact, I only think that has happened once. I think your budget is more that 200% too high... heh he Laughing

We just did a complete suspension arm replacement in the 4140 tool steel, to a new second hand Bushtracker Owner, that just did not want to worry about it... I even told him that from the looks of things it was not necessary, and he did not have to do it, but he just wanted to for the peace of mind. Well, OK.. We rebuilt the suspension, serviced, bearings and all, with new pivot blocks, new 4140 suspension arms, the works and it was only about $2600 to do the lot.

The larger renovations are becoming more common. People are using the insecurity of the Global Financial Crisis to take advantage of the depressed second hand Bushtracker prices, and then are bringing them to us to be upgraded. We are commonly getting $8000-$12,000 upgrades and we have one complete renovation here going on for almost $30,000. When I talked to them about it, I mean all the gear upgraded, they just said they loved their 12 year old Bushtracker and with the renovations and upgrade of most of the equipment it was still a major savings over replacing it...
Hmm, who am I to argue that one if they love their Bushtracker?

Regards, Admin, Bushtracker
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Cruiser Pete!! Don't get your feathers ruffled, but:
Please put your request in the Owners Section....

First of all there are specific instructions and recommendations depending on the unit involved... Note that this is Proprietary Information, and second of all there are a lot of variables to it, depending on your particular layout..

Kind regards, Admin, and one more thing:

WELCOME TO THE FORUM, POST NUMBER ONE !!

(Even though I am deleting your post here, please put it in the Owners Section and we will try and help you. Also put in a description of your layout in some detail..)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> Upgrading Second Hand Bushtracker Vans All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: