Tanami Track

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> TRAVEL LOGS AND BUSHTRACKERS IN ACTION PICTURE GALLERY
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill and Karen Stephenson

State:: Victoria
Current Bushtracker owner:: Ordered
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:32 pm    Post subject: Tanami Track Reply with quote

Been awhile since posted anything but we are hoping to travel the Tanami from Alice to Halls Creek in mid June. Any advice would be good, ie fuel, road, how many days to do it comfortably in ?
Mobi Condo

State:: South Australia
Current Bushtracker owner:: Yes
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2007, June was our experience. Just a few days after it was pronounced open after big rains. Took 4 days, averaged 40kph and took our time to negotiate bad corrugated sections. Dropped 80 series and caravan tyres to 50% of highway pressure.
Carried sufficient fuel (145litres in 80 series two tanks + 3 x 20Litres on 'A' frame, but we still topped up where we could (Tilmouth Well, Yuendumu, Rabbit Flat) but I guess Rabbit Flat is out of the question now. Thus we were more than provided for fuel.
Camped near Mt Doreen - just 100metres to the right of the road near a dry water course, then at Rabbit Flat camp area, at finally at Wolfe Creek.
Wished we had taken more time as it was like a garden with heaps of wildflowers, trees in bloom. Lots of remote desert scenery for photography. A lot of bird life and quite a bit of ground stuff like dragons, dingoes.
Very little traffic and only about 10 road trains encountered over the 4 days(all heading toward the Alice).
We would love to do it again if we could.
Hope this is of some help.
Terrain to Travel
Dave Burt

State:: QLD
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I travelled the Tanami in July 2012 heading north from Alice Springs, I was towing a Kimberly Karavan, the track in general was in a poor condition with bad corrugations and lots of bulldust, the worst section was over the boarder into WA, there was also a lot of other traffic at the time with some road trains, got talking to some people and heard some of the usual horror stories such as broken shock absorbers, water tanks falling off and smashed windscreens, I took the usual precautions and had no problems, lower your tyre pressure, slow down and stay alert and you should have a problem free journey.

Dave
Col & Diane Douglas

State:: Qld
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello. Has anyone travelled this road (the Tanami) recently. Thanks for any input.
Rusty62

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Traveled this time last year. Road was in excellent condition with barely a rough spot. Wolfe Creek was badly corrugated.
Camped at Wolfe Creek then at the diamond mine (just east) and then a couple of hours from Alice.

Would like to see it after rain.

Rusty.
Grumpy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just completed the Tanami, today. Took our time over 5 days, and found some great campsites, including Wolfe Creek Crater, Desert View and Ors.

The road was ok with some good and some bad sections. IMHO the Tanami was much better than the Gibb we did last year.

Visited a few Communities on the track and noted fuel prices eg Billiluna $2.60/l, Yuendumu $2.20/l, Tilmouth Well $1.99/l. Also if refuelling on the Tanami check out opening times of these outlets, we came across a few travellers who had to wait a couple of hours during middle of day for opening.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> TRAVEL LOGS AND BUSHTRACKERS IN ACTION PICTURE GALLERY All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: