HOUSEHOLD TYPE WATER FILTERS.. TASTE? HEALTH?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> DISPELLING MYTHS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bushtracker
Site Admin

State:: Queensland
Current Bushtracker owner:: Yes
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:49 pm    Post subject: HOUSEHOLD TYPE WATER FILTERS.. TASTE? HEALTH? Reply with quote

We do not provide any filtration system. Our water sterilisation system does have pre-filters, but the sterilization is done with Ultra Violet at 2700 Angstrom. WARNING: You can put any filtration system you want in your van, but it will not do Hepatitis virus, which is a sub-micro virus you cannot filter out. Or potentially Botulism Spores from a dead animal upstream.. Please do not get lulled into a false sense of security with your household type water filters.

If you are talking about a normal tap water filter that just does taste, supply anything you want and we will install it. We do not offer any water filtration as it might give people a false sense of security which they should not have with regards to health safety issues and Bush water.

Our Sterilisation system only has the pre filters to take out the biological organisms, the UV radiation is the key to total purification. Your normal Mall type water filter systems are just for taste and removing the chlorine residuals, and should not be thought of a healthy purifier for bush water. That is why we do not offer them. You may supply us with anything you like, just do not confuse the two issues, OK? Household filters are cosmetic for taste, not heath providing filters against some of the micro nasties out there in the water systems.. OK?

If you did get a proper biological filter, NONE take out Hepatitus, but some can take out the larger nasties... The problem with them is that most of the household systems also run at 100 psi, while the Caravan runs at about 35-40 psi..

This is serious Exclamation Just don't think you can take a household filter out Bush and make the water safe to drink, because unfortunately it just is not so.

Regards, Ranger
patriciaa

State:: Vicotria
Current Bushtracker owner:: No
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have searched many times online to find the best water filters. Please suggest me any link from where I can find best water bottle filters.
Luvntravln

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have the Freshly Squeezed filters under our sink for the drinking water. Had them in our last van for three years and now have them again. Jackie is very particular about water taste and how it affects her coffee. Certainly recommend them as an easy unit to install under the sink and each to change the filters once each year.
petpat47

State:: qld
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
What model filter do u have fitted?
Thanks
Peter
Luvntravln

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe it is the Voyager Inline.
Wherrol

State:: Qld
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We got our reverse osmosis system (for home) at Splish Water at Maroochydore.

They do all sorts of filters.

Great company and very easy to deal with. Even remember us when we come back for new filters.

Hope that helps

Sharon
Andrew7267

State:: TAS
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:02 pm    Post subject: new MSR Guardian Purifier Reply with quote

This bushwalking type model is getting great reviews - even does Hepatitis.

Will do 2.5 liters per minute and lasts for 10,000 liters.

Good video on this website shows where they drank water from.

http://guardianpurifier.com/

$A 510
Bushtracker
Site Admin

State:: Queensland
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Andrew,

This does not suit our application... You are not going to sit there hours hand pumping that thing and pouring it into a drinking water tank or a bucket and then pump it into the tank. Our system is not chemical, and WILL sterilize the water with UV (Ultra-Violet) at 2700 Angstroms and remove most biological contaminants with a ceramic filter that can be cleaned, and has a carbon filter for herbicide and pesticide contaminants. It pumps the water through the UV, and these two filtration systems directly into the tank. This backpacker type hand pump does not apply to our Bushtracker Lifestyle..

So, this brings up a point, are you an Agent for this backpacker type of water purifier? We do not allow external advertising on this Forum, as it would bloat the Forum up with commercial product..

I will give you the benefit of the doubt and a bit of time to respond before I delete your Post...
Rosiebear

State:: Qld
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely agree, it is not for filling multiple water tanks, but as a point of interest for those that like to go for a fair walk, and find lumping multiple water bottles around it is definitely a weight saver. But in this great parched land I don't think there is so much free surface water lying around for the taking that makes it a proposition at such a high cost.

Coastal and mountain areas maybe with streams and maybe stagnant waterholes around the place, but out in the dry country not so much, you'd have to walk a fair way to find a soak or even a surface dam on most properties, and in recent times they have mostly been dust bowls.

Most of the numpties that have got lost recently have been in mountain areas with multiple water sources, and all found within reasonable time frames, so maybe not an essential piece of kit for occasional use.

The importer is in Sydney so maybe Andrew was making a public service announcement.
Andrew7267

State:: TAS
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I am not a dealer just super impressed that any filter can finally do everything including viruses.

I was inspired to make the post when reading the original post "no system will do Hepatitis virus or Botulism Spores". So if these MSR claims are true this device is a real breakthrough and to see the videos of people drinking out of oil-slicked puddles it certainly looks impressive.

I have been looking over all the BT forums planning our BT and yes we will have the BT sterilisation system fitted.

For bushwalking I have a simple pump type one (so slow) and a UV type one but still some risk and especially overseas.

I am very keen to buy one of these MSR ones for bushwalking and will carry it as a backup in the van as well and for 4WD tenting trips away from the van.

One day hopefully they might make a model that is suitable for doing van tanks too.

Cheers, Andrew
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> DISPELLING MYTHS All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: