Nissan Titan XD (Cummins Diesel)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> Tips on TOW VEHICLES
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mattkurvink
Site Admin

State:: QLD
Current Bushtracker owner:: Yes
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:56 am    Post subject: Nissan Titan XD (Cummins Diesel) Reply with quote

Nissan Titan XD (Cummins Diesel)

As some of you may be already aware, there is a new player in the 4.5T plus capacity tow vehicles. The new Nissan Titan XD. We have been product testing the Nissan over the last 6 months and almost 20,000kms.

First, a little about the truck. The Titan has a 5.0L V8 Cummins Turbo Diesel which has 231kw and 750nm torque. This is married up to an Aisin 6 speed automatic transmission. The net effect of this combination makes for a very capable tow vehicle and it has had no problems towing all the way up to its maximum 4.5T with electric brakes (5.4T with air brakes).

To help with towing, all models come complete with rear view camera, downhill speed control, trailer sway control, integrated brake controller and extendable tow mirrors.

So how does it drive?

Looking at the figures only on paper, you would rule the Titan out as lacking in power and torque compared with other American tow vehicles. That said, once hooked up and driving down the road with the van on the back, it doesn’t feel that way. The only thing I can put it down to is that the Cummins V8 diesel must have a very flat torque curve giving you maximum power from very low revs and keeping it all the way through the rev range.

The transmission is fantastic and has very positive engagement. The same gearbox is actually an upgrade option on the Ram 3500. It has a tow haul mode which engages the gears for longer and downshifts holding the revs when slowing down.

Having driven nearly 20,000kms towing with the Titan, and in most instances the van weighing over 4,000kg with water and gear loaded on board, it handles the load with ease. Cruising along at the speed limit is easy (even on most uphills) and overtaking is not a problem.

The longer wheelbase, compared with the Australian offerings such as a Land Cruiser, makes for a far safer tow vehicle giving far greater control over the van particularly in an emergency manoeuvre.

Fuel economy when towing is reasonable, normally sitting on 21L/100km as an average with the abovementioned load.

So why consider the Titan?

I feel the Titan will primarily sell on price. It appears as excellent value for money particularly when comparing it with other American trucks, as an example from SCD in Brisbane:

Nissan Titan XD S $97,000
Nissan Titan XD Platinum Reserve $125,000 (compares with Limited / Longhorn RAM)

For those looking for a budget American tow vehicle, or looking at a Land Cruiser and then spending the extra on a towing capacity increase up to 4,000kg, the Titan certainly demands a look.

Pictures

SMICK

State:: vic
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were recently in Hawaii and checked out the Titan. Great vehicle and very popular. I looked over your Titan at the BOG muster at Echuca. Very nice. If we didn't have a Chev we would get a Titan. Great to see you at the muster.
Michael.
Bushtracker
Site Admin

State:: Queensland
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smick,

Money no object, the Dodge Ram Cummins diesel is still superior in every way including fuel economy and power...

However, for those on a bit of a budget, this Nissan is comparable to Landcruiser prices. I mean for price point, it is about the same as say a VX or Altitude, but this Nissan ute is a stronger and safer vehicle to tow with than the Landcruisers. Same price but better, more control, more power, and a big ute by comparison, 5 litre V-8 Cummins.

It is by no means a comparison to the heavier duty 6.7 litre Cummins, in engine or truck... However, it is superior to the Landcruiser at that price point. It is our job to bring things like this to the attention of you Owners..

Kind regards, on the Road Ranger....

Wink Idea
Jusel

State:: NSW
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does the Titan compare against the 1500 Ram?
Rosiebear

State:: Qld
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just the difference in annual Rego would be the kicker, 6 cyl Vs V8
0417 007298
Bushtracker
Site Admin

State:: Queensland
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jusel wrote:
How does the Titan compare against the 1500 Ram?

Well, it does not compare at all... The Nissan is on a spectrum close to the 2500 Ram. Matthew reports is shifts more positive, more of a major tow vehicle, brakes better, and tows better. The 1500 Ram is reaching a bit, no where near the power, more like a direct comparison to a 200 Series, more of a car around town and that is where it really shines.

Like, in town, normal vehicle, the 1500 Ram drives like a car and can do the job of the 200 Series and is a comparable value to that. It is a GREAT car.
The Titan is a luxury truck, a cheaper alternative to the Dodge 2500.. The Nissan is polarized more even to just below the 2500 Ram, 6.7 Cummins diesel, far and above the 1500. Fuel economy and zip around town for someone that wants a ute to tow that is the same rough size as the 200 Series, and the Dodge 1500 wins. It drives like a peppy car. However: Matthew is towing his 23' Family Bushtracker to Melbourne over the weekend, and the Nissan is right in there, where you would not even consider the 1500.. OK? Really, direct answer, NO comparison...

The Nissan is made in America, Cummins Diesel, Aisin transmission, all in all not much Nissan in it for that matter, just to put that into perspective..

Rosiebear wrote:

Just the difference in annual Rego would be the kicker, 6 cyl Vs V8

No offence Rosiebear, but this situation like the 6cy Italian Jeep motor in the 1500 Ram and the Cummin V-8 in the Nissan: Practical power, towing ability, safety, control, handling, brakes, driver fatigue, I mean on the scale of what is important $200 a year in Rego does not even matter.

Comparing the Dodge 2500 and the Nissan: If you can afford the $20,000-$30,000 or so more for the Dodge 6.7 Cummins Diesel, yes you will have cheaper Rego, but for the expense of the Dodge Ram it is also sort of a false economy. I am not sure cheaper registration is relative in either comparison.

Kind regards, on the Road Ranger.
Rosiebear

State:: Qld
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just makes the Ram2500 better value. Just saying, either way, you've still got to put your hand in your pocket at least once per year, for the shallower dip, the Dodge has it..I'll never have the pleasure of owning either.
0417 007298
MUSKY54

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:18 pm    Post subject: nissan titan Reply with quote

Hi Matt
i read nissan may be doing a right hand version of the titan themself for the aussie market,have you heard anything
musky
mattkurvink
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Musky,

I haven't heard anything official, only speculatively worded articles. Here is one that I read a couple of weeks ago:

https://www.motoring.com.au/nissan-considering-titan-expansion-109571/

The Australian market is a hard one to justify as we have such a small population in relation to the left hand drive markets. It will be interesting to see if anything evolves.

On another tangent, I now have my Nissan Titan XD platinum reserve. It is a lovely truck, drives very well and has some great features including cameras all around the truck so you can see on the console screen exactly what is around you when parking etc (a very handy feature).

The beauty of the Titan is it competes directly with the Land Cruiser on price (especially if you factor in a Lovells 4T upgrade), yet gives you a vehicle that is capable of easily towing 4.5T and built to do it. It has a heavy duty Cummins engine, superb Aisin transmission, and huge rear diff. Will also easily get better fuel economy than the Cruiser, on my last trip to Melbourne and back with my 23 footer behind (over 4T), the average was 21.7L / 100km.

So far so good in all respects.

Cheers,

Matt
Bushtracker
mattkurvink
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuel economy update

I just completed a run to Coffs Harbour and back dropping our 18 foot display van to ABCO caravan services over the weekend. It is now on display in their yard.

2017 model 18 foot BUSHTRACKER COMPACT off-road caravan

Van weight with tanks full was in the 2700-2800kg range. Cruise control set at the speed limit, and I dont tend to slow down for the hills. You could easily coax slightly better economy by going a bit easier on the accelerator Wink

Driving down with van: 19.6 L/100

Driving home empty: 10.5 L/100
MUSKY54

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject: titan Reply with quote

Hi Matt
on your first post about the titan 22 sept,that $97,000 was that converted to r,h,drive and on road cost.what extras does the platinum have over the xd to make it so much dearer
thanks musky
mattkurvink
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: titan Reply with quote

MUSKY54 wrote:
Hi Matt
on your first post about the titan 22 sept,that $97,000 was that converted to r,h,drive and on road cost.what extras does the platinum have over the xd to make it so much dearer
thanks musky

Hi Musky,

In short, nothing dramatic. Mainly cosmetic and luxury appointments, same engine, transmission etc. Kind of like comparing a GXL vs Sahara Land Cruiser. You can get a GXL for around $85k, where a Sahara will set you back around $130k.

Hope that helps,

Matt
Bushtracker
Jusel

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the XD S for $97,000 a dual cab or only a single cab?

Have been looking at a new 200 GXL but if that pricing is for Dual cab I need to have a much better look at the Titan!
mattkurvink
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jusel wrote:
Is the XD S for $97,000 a dual cab or only a single cab?

Hi Jusel,

Yes, that is the dual cab.

This is where I bought mine from: http://www.scdamerica.com.au/ (give them a call, ignore the pricing on their site)

Here is a short video they also put up about the truck: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRHgOoDgCXw

Cheers.

Matt
Bushtracker
Steve n Penny

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:30 pm    Post subject: Ram V Titan Reply with quote

Hi Matt
Well we are just about to take the plunge into a new 2500 Ram and would like to hear your thoughts comparing the Ram V Titan having driven both.
Pricewise there is nothing really in it.
Obviously the Ram wins in the power and torque stakes.
The Titan comes standard with only a 770kg carrying cap which is just not enough however can be upgraded to 1177 by SCD for a further $2200 apparently (i had a short chat with one of the SCD guys this arvo)
Keen to hear what you have to pass on regarding a comparison before I commit to a new truck.
Cheers
Steve
Loki of Condor

State:: WA
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you seen this Steve?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLZv3fpIlKI
mattkurvink
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Ram V Titan Reply with quote

Steve n Penny wrote:
Hi Matt
Well we are just about to take the plunge into a new 2500 Ram and would like to hear your thoughts comparing the Ram V Titan having driven both.
Pricewise there is nothing really in it.
Obviously the Ram wins in the power and torque stakes.
The Titan comes standard with only a 770kg carrying cap which is just not enough however can be upgraded to 1177 by SCD for a further $2200 apparently (i had a short chat with one of the SCD guys this arvo)
Keen to hear what you have to pass on regarding a comparison before I commit to a new truck.
Cheers
Steve

Hi Steve n Penny,

I am a little bit confused by your posting on the Ram vs Titan. You make the comment that pricewise there is nothing in it. Lets use the Titan Platinum reserve as a base point of $125k (pre-ordered), apples for apples this really compares closer to the Limited or Longhorn Ram at nearly $150k. If you are comparing a Laramie Ram, then really you should be looking at a Pro-4X or SL Titan.

That said, I understand you do pay more if the vehicle is in stock and the importer has had to carry the cost of the truck all the way through, but it still should be cheaper in comparison.

Personally at the end of the day, if both trucks were equal in price, I would choose a Ram 2500 Limited (not Laramie) with a factory airbag rear end, but this isn't the case. The Titan is around $25k cheaper and essentially can do the same job.

Driving the trucks, and in particular when towing, I honestly cannot feel much of a difference between the two (even though according to the specs there should be). The Titan performs remarkably well. Personally I feel the Titan is a better drivers car, and the transmission is fantastic. Where the Ram wins for me is in the interior fit and finish, and ergonomic simple to use interfaces.

I really cannot speak ill or either car. They both have their good and bad points ultimately at the end of the day it will come down to which you prefer.

I hope that helps.

Matt
Bushtracker

Last edited by mattkurvink on Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Steve n Penny

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:16 am    Post subject: RAM v Titan Reply with quote

Hi Matt,

Thanks for your input and thoughts re the Ram v Titan.
You guys may be on a better price structure
As I said previous I did have a short chat with SCD and prices quoted were higher and I am not even sure as to which model they were referring to.
It was a short chat and they were going to call me back on Friday but that didn't happen.
So we have taken the plunge and bought an ASV RAM 2500 Laramie for under 130K.

Cheers

Steve n Penny
Steve n Penny

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loki of Condor wrote:
Have you seen this Steve?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLZv3fpIlKI

Hi Loki, yes I did see that vid thanks
mattkurvink
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: RAM v Titan Reply with quote

Steve n Penny wrote:
Hi Matt,

Thanks for your input and thoughts re the Ram v Titan.
You guys may be on a better price structure
As I said previous I did have a short chat with SCD and prices quoted were higher and I am not even sure as to which model they were referring to.
It was a short chat and they were going to call me back on Friday but that didn't happen.
So we have taken the plunge and bought an ASV RAM 2500 Laramie for under 130K.

Cheers

Steve n Penny

Hi Steve n Penny,

No worries, hope we could help. I was concerned about your comment on pricing so contacted SCD direct. Here was the reply:

Sent: Monday, 27 November 2017 12:49 PM
    To: Bushtracker (Matthew Kurvink)
    Cc: sales@scdamerica.com.au
    Subject: Titan Pricing

Hi Matt

I have copied in Michael so we are all on the same page

We are telling people $135,000 ex on roads for the Platinum Reserve

If a Bushtracker customer can order and pay $90,000 upfront, they will get it for $125,000

The other option is the Titan XD S model

We sell them for $110,000 Ex on roads

If they pay $70,000 up front will do it for $99,990.

We will call all our current customers and clear things up with them.

Eddie

So basically what he is saying is that if the customer carries the cost of the truck from the initial purchase in America / Canada all the way through to delivery (rather than the importer), and then pay for their conversion when the truck arrives, it will be cheaper.

I think that is where the confusion has arisen.

Also Eddie gave me a list with a few benefits of the Titan Platinum Reserve vs Ram Laramie:

1 Better Brakes (Drive both and there is a massive difference)
    2 Heavy duty Aisin Transmission
    3 Zero Gravity Seats
    4 Much better leg room for driver
    5 Cheaper (fully optioned Platinum Reserve is cheaper than a Ram 2500 Laramie)
    6 Independent Front Suspension (No problem with the camber on aussie roads)
    7 Come standard with Tow mirrors
    8 360 Degree surround view camera
    9 Comes with extra accessories as standard (bed step, soft opening tailgate, Ramboxes)
    10 No need for tow hitch reducing piece
    11 Resale Value !! The current Ram is at the end of life. There is a new model in pipeline wheras the Nissan Titan XD was only recently released.

I hope that helps.

Cheers,

Matt
Bushtracker
Red Dirt

Current Bushtracker owner:: Ordered
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject: Titan XD offroad Reply with quote

Hi Matt
How does the Titan go on Offroad tracks and beach sand? I have also heard that bull dust is a problem for some of the American vehicles, but I am not sure if that is just an urban legend.

Thanks
mattkurvink
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red Dirt wrote:
Hi Matt
How does the Titan go on Offroad tracks and beach sand? I have also heard that bull dust is a problem for some of the American vehicles, but I am not sure if that is just an urban legend.

Thanks

G'day Sean,

I'll be completely honest and say I don't know. I haven't used the Titan in deep sand or bull dust to date. The only off-road usage we have done has been limited to gravel roads in which it handled very well and experienced no dust ingress.

We are planning a trip later in the year (June / July) where I am sure we will encounter more challenging conditions and will be able to give a better report afterwards.

On the bulldust comment, I cant say I ever experienced any issues with my previous American vehicles (Dodge Rams), but cannot comment on the Titan yet.

I hope that helps.

Cheers,

Matt
Bushtracker

Red Dirt

Current Bushtracker owner:: Ordered
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback.
Ricky

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve done about 17,000km in a RAM 2500 on dirt and gravel roads, including the plenty highway which was in shocking condition with many bulldust holes, and its performed very well, faultless really. We spend 2 weeks on fraser island every year in the sand (without the BT) and i’ve been very impressed with how well it handles the sand, every bit as good as my Landcruisers have in the past. I suspect whoever feed the line about american trucks not handling those conditions has never had one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> Tips on TOW VEHICLES All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: