DRIVING LIGHTS SAFETY/R&D TESTS, TOP TYPES, 2014 UPDATE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> Tips on SAFETY WHEN TOWING
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bushtracker
Site Admin

State:: Queensland
Current Bushtracker owner:: Yes
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:45 am    Post subject: DRIVING LIGHTS SAFETY/R&D TESTS, TOP TYPES, 2014 UPDATE Reply with quote

Hello Friends,
I now currently have four of the best value for money Driving Lights. Since I am running R&D for you on tow vehicles, I thought I might as well go on to a valuable asset for travel at night.

Why are big and powerful driving lights I am going to review with pictures and performance, so important? Question I will give you at least three of the reasons: (And I apologize to you seasoned travellers that already know, but this is for Newbies as well)...

1) Avoidance of animals, one on the side can be more of a flood beam, and the one on the right can be more of a pencil beam. Or in the case of one set, they can be "Combo" lights, flood and pencil beam for long distance.. You want to see a pack of roos, cattle, a wild brumby, far enough ahead so you have time to slow down as you pass them.. Just know, the one lone steer or heifer or calf, in the bushes, is going to bolt out as you approach, and in fear run across the track trying to get back to the herd off somewhere ahead... Happens.... ALL the time.

2) Warning to Truckies and others, to drop their high beams and driving lights before it gives you stress and night blindness. You eliminate it all if you are well armed, give them a little flash at distance before they are blinding you, or on the approach to a hill while they are still on the other side, or on the approach to a curve, before they are in your face. A little flash, or the action of dropping your big guns yourself, and they will do the same. They do not want the stress, blindness, or blast in the face either.. Understand the long distance warning you offer, and how it protects both of you before it becomes a problem. 99% of them will be just as vigilant and give you the same courtesy.. And if you run into the ocassional IDIOT, a quick flash if your Outback Big Guns, will quickly wake them up and pull them into line... Laughing Laughing

3) Driver Fatigue: Night Driving on lonely Outback roads and highways is a favorite of mine.. Something like the Barkley Tableland is devoid of features and boring in daylight, but at night there are all kinds of animals moving around, and to be honest I have seen ones that I do not even know what they were!! Anyway, I like night driving, beats the heat, diesels run better in the cooler night air, and you get better fuel economy by about 4% or 5%... Shocked Really, Fair Dinkum! The cooler night air is more dense, so you get more of it, sort of like the way an intercooler works. And you beat the heat and stress on air conditioning, engines, and yourself. If I am travelling in the heat, I will sometimes lay up in the daytime on air conditioning and make a big passage at night. Anyway, big Driving Lights, make it like noon day sun driving at night. You can see waaaay ahead, and to the sides, and it is just safer and more alert; with less stress and driver fatigue... Wink

I will review four types from Monday, four of the BIG ONES that from my travels are the best value for money: The 200 mm IPF carried by ARB, the 220 mm Britax X-Ray with row of LED parkers, the 240 mm XGTs by LightForce with the optional Blue Lense covers for clarity.... And the awesome power of HID 240 mm by LightForce, the extreme, the most powerful Driving Light on the market. It will be OVERKILL for most, but the review and pictures you might enjoy, I have not tried the new HID ones yet, but it supposed to be lightening for a km.. Should be fun.. Shocked There are obviously others, but in my experience too expensive or unimpressive in their performance.

Yes, the HIDs by LightForce are the most expensive Driving Lights in the world.. Also the most powerful.... Not practical for most of you, but if you are not worried about the cost the HID may be interesting. I just once wanted to own the BEST for fun.. And I get a tax break for it. But for the rest of you, tune in and see what $1000 (each) 1 km +, professional driving lights look like at night. Digital camera pictures at night will be included, look for the first two reviews on Monday.

Regards, lone Ranger, and here is what my vehicles look like with the driving lights on the front... Shocked Bug Eyed... Laughing Laughing

Last edited by Bushtracker on Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:04 pm; edited 12 times in total
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well here are the first set of results, and mind you the camera is NOT what I want and I will do better. This is just a small hand held digital and the flash ruined the results. When I get better pictures, I will replace these.

The IPF first, they are 190 mm, the first stage of good lights...

And here is what it looks like, and I apologize, as it is not showing up well here on the Forum... The left hand flood illuminated good viewing about 30 M to the side, and the spot goes about 300 Meters forward...

Now here are the 220 mm Britax X-Ray, with the row of digital parkers along the bottom, the new Euro Standard...

And here are the results, about the same 30 Metres side light on the flood unit on the left, and the pencil beam spot reaches out about 400 M... I hope this shows up in the low resolution of this Forum picture... Rolling Eyes I may have to get a better grade of camera...

Note: Above here is the edit, updated picture.. And this with the X-Ray is about 10% better than the IPF lights... I do not have an updated picture with the IPF, but with the Britax X-Ray it is a 220 mm reflector vrs about a 190mm in the IPF is noticeable in my opionion.... You can see maybe a 10% improvement. Certainly if either of them were on sale, at a very good price, they are both good lights but the Britax wins.

Ranger Should I keep going? Any interest out there?

Last edited by Bushtracker on Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We will get into some Serious ones now...
These are what the XGT NightForce look like mounted and wired...

And not having anything to do with the IPF lights until I find another Cruiser to rebuild, here is the BADDEST back up light in Queensland, the IPF Flood unit. (With a switch to turn it off when a van is on the back) Laughing

Will get a good camera going for night pictures....

Last edited by Bushtracker on Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well here we go, a fair comparison of the next grade up, the LightForce XGT over the Britax X-Ray...

You would expect some difference as the size is larger again, 220 mm for the Britax X-Ray up to 240mm for the LightForce..

Here is the Britax X-Ray. I am pulled off to the left of the road... The red dots at the center is a road turn in at a couple of hundred meters, and the faint white dots either side at the end of the white line, it is the Brown Creek Crossing white sign and markers at a measured 700 Metres, just out of reach of the Britax.

This is a close up of what we are looking for, far enough ahead to slow down at a narrow creek crossing... If the lights illuminate them it will be two white light sources either side of the white side line... Browns Creek narrow crossing.

And here is the difference with the LightForce 240mm XGT over the 220mm Britax... Again I am pulled off to the left off the SIDE of the road.. The white dots in the center is the above creek crossing at a measured 700 M.

I think you can see the difference and the advantage of the upper end of the Driving Lights... It is only small in comparison in these pictures, it is more marked and noticeable in person...

Here are two more pictures...

Britax and LightForce

I think for the money the LightForce XGT wins handsdown... About the same money, but it just reaches out that much further.

And besides they look "Cool" here are the Blue lenses with the combo center that throws more light out to the sides (on my favorite 100 Series tow vehicle) Da dude in da cowboy hat is da lone Ranger on da job...

Now is this the kind of R&D you want, sort of outside of Bushtracker but useful in the Outback? Want more? I still have the HID lights up my sleeves, these XGT are supposed to be good out 700 or so, the HID are supposed to be 1.4 kms!! And look like this: Shocked

Let me know, Regards, Ranger

Last edited by Bushtracker on Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well,
I could not stand it any longer, and mounted the famous HID Xenon Gas Discharge LightForce 240mm lights on my Landcruiser...

Talk about overkill... Cool

I do not think the digital camera does it any justice.
But here is what it looks like on the same track the other testing was done on: In reality it is like BLUE LIGHTENING There is no mistaking the bridge up ahead and all the reflectors at about 700 Metres.

Here is light out about 40 metres to the right...

And I am parked off the road on the left side of the road and here is the light about 40 metres off to the left as well...

Now in final analysis: These HID cost more that DOUBLE the XGT that are the same size and look about the same. Yes these are more powerful, but maybe only on a 10-20% of practical useable scale. The XGT are already FABULOUS !! So can I advise you to go the HID? No.

In fact, I have to live with them awhile in all fairness, but I am not sure I do not appreciate the XGT more and here is why: These are like BRIGHT BLUE LIGHTENING, and I got the feeling when I went past a reflective sign that the bloody sign was so LIGHTENING BRIGHT back at me I wanted to reach for my sunglasses on a moonless night.. Shocked Cool No kidding... Confused Laughing

These HID are what you see over the horizon that looks light lightening, it is the Truckies signaling each other. But for our practical use, myself, I do not think I would go past the XGT shown in the previous posting. I might put the HID on a professional rig, maybe on my Mack Horsetruck, but for 2-3 times the cost I am thinking they are a bit TOO bright and certainly too expensive for the effective value...

But I had to do the experiment, didn't I... This time it is one step too far. Laughing Kind Regards, stg
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again, one more entry to the top Driving Lights I have tested for you:

The Narva, then IPF, the Britax X-ray, are the lower selections, and the winner to date for performance has been the LightForce XGT. Mind you, some might pick them anyway just for looks like I did years ago with my white F-350 King Ranch... But then I had not tried the better ones yet..

Here the IPF was selected for the square look against the F-350 square lights, but again they are no where near the best LightForce XGT

To reiterate briefly the LightForce HID are very trendy, and undoubtedly the most powerful in the world, but they are too much. The reflective signs on the civilized coastal regions where you do most of your long distance travel, are so blinding that you almost want to reach for your sunglasses at night... LoL And the other problem with the HID is they warm up slow for one/two seconds, so they are not as good for flashing bright lights warning at other careless drivers, where the XGT is instantaneous and practically as good as the HID... My recommendation is NO to the HID... Unless you are Professional Truckie in the deserts..

Here is some ongoing R&D, this time testing the HELLA Metal Driving lights... They are a heavy built quality light with a few distinct advantages, and they fit a Landcruiser better than the XGT have a look: New HELLA heavy metal body lights fitted

One, they fit the Landcruiser bull bars quite well. As you know, my top choice so far on the previous testing, has been the LightForce XGT. However,
shown below, but they are almost too large for a Landcruiser..

The light is in the protective covers for the large LightForce XGT, you get used to it, but it is a bit in your face... They fit the larger vehicles, like the Silverado and the Fords quite well, but there is reflective light coming back at you with the LightForce on a Toyota as the lights are just too big...

The big LightForce XGT fits the Silverado and Fords quite well, here shown with the blue lens covers and clear...

Where the Hella (shown below) fit the Toyota Bullbar quite well... And they are a heavy die cast alloy body and polished alloy reflector, quite a solid build.

Second advantage is the external adjustment knobs shown below. They lock and swivel the light, one on each side of each light: Very convenient for adjustments when hitched to the van or not.

..[/b][/i]

Third advantage is the distinct pencil beam and spread lens of the Hella. They are a tad smaller but performance is almost on a par because the pencil beam is MORE of a pencil beam for long distance, and the flood is MORE of a flood for the animals on the side of the road. Where the LightForce XGT uses a common defuser..

SPOT/ PENCIL BEAM Lens ........................................................... .FLOOD, heavy thick glass lens

Pending some more testing, the Hella is a contender for the first place. Possibly due to size it is my first choice for Landcruiser sized vehicles. I am please with it, and pending some further Performance tests on my test track, it may be my choice for my new Super Duty Ford coming, only in chrome instead of this black power coating..

The faint white dots in the distance is a narrow bridge sign at 1000 Metres

Normal High Beams...........................................................................Driving Lights on.....

The HELLA METAL are available in the black power coated as shown, or chrome...

testing, testing,
On the road with the Ranger, doing this Forum with your "Best Interest in Mind"
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well here it is, my Driving Light decision for the new F-450.

Now understand I really do like the big LightForce Brand, but they are non specific in just using a diffuser lens for flood and spot combined.. The Hella "Luminator", while a smaller reflector, the have heavy glass lenses and one just for spot and one just for flood. The specific lens, I think gives a better field of vision.

There is one further feature that I like, and is unique to Hella, and that is the external adjustments. They are big lugs, and lock the globe shaped body for side to side and up and down. You make your adjustment, then turn the knob tight, and further lock it in with an allen key provided.

The body is heavy die cast alloy, and here shown in chrome to match my truck. I paid for these, instead of the other top light providing Contender in LightForce, as I think for size and blocked cooling flow they are at least as good and I think possibly even better... I have two sets of Hella now, on the new F-450, and on my spare vehicle the 100 Series Landcruiser.

Hella is my pick of the litter, while all will work well, I put the Hella "Luminator" in first place, LightForce at a close second. And HIDs for the reasons posted above are not good for our application IMO>

Hard yards of testing, here for your benefit... Nothing to gain, all for you...
Luvntravln

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The Hella "Luminator", while a smaller reflector, the have heavy glass lenses and one just for spot and one just for flood. The specific lens, I think gives a better field of vision.

Steve, not knowing diddly about driving lights and about to put them on the F450, please explain further about these lights.

Are you saying they have two bulbs in each light, or are you saying that one light is for flood and adjusted accordingly, and one light is a spot adjusted to illuminate so many meters in front of the truck?

?????

Thanks, Jay[/quote]
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are made that way, with a lens to do the function required...

Pencil beam spot, or flood... You want the flood on the side of the road, the pencil beam going ahead down the road. Not a lot of difference, just enough to MAKE a difference...

It has been the most effective way to have it set up...

Cheers....
Alfred

State:: New York
Current Bushtracker owner:: No
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi...,Nice tips....i read out your interesting and informative post,great....this is really useful tips on SAFETY WHEN TOWING..this is a very useful post that will be referenced long into the future....Thanks for sharing this informative post....keep it up...
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again Bushtracker Owners,

Here is the latest: After four months of delays, ARB finally got their heavy duty winch Bullbar done and it is on my latest R&D vehicle, the Sahara. You can read about this in TIPS ON TOW VEHICLES on the Topic on the "Most Popular Tow Vehicle, 09, 10, 11, and now 2012."

These are a new light on the market: ORCA, and these are Zenon and HID...!! Shocked
As shown, these are the Aurora 700, by Orca.

Anyway, here they are, as heavy duty and robust as the Hella only more powerful and the best part: They are more economical !!

They are powerful, but more compact, so it does not interfere with the Twin Turbo Diesel cooling grid in the front...

They have Hella style locking know adjusters, one each side, that lock with an allen key. These are Zenon and HID, so they are going to be near blue lightening!

When I have time, I will do a comparison on the same stretch of road, same time of moon phase, as the others and post the pictures... I have confidence, and these are a very robust housing. You cannot get much better than Zenon and HID ....

Testing gear with the lone Ranger, not just an opinion, I run it, tow with it, and report back to you with "Bushtracker Owners Best Interests" in mind...
Trish & Adrian

State:: N.S.W
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve.
Great job of R & D with the driving lights.
I am about to replace some old lights on my cruiser so this review is well timed.
Can you please tell me who I can talk to about these lights as I have done a google search and all I can get is whale stories. ( ORCAS )
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is their email address, I thought they would come up on Google

The Orca is actually made by Orion, these are the 7" Orca HIDs

Try them direct at sales@orionlamps.com.au , tell them Bushtracker sent you, and we finally got the Bullbar on to run the Lights..
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are spotties, HID an Zenon, as shown above.. They are nearly the same style of adjustment and hard lense as the Hella, and a better price..

Good out to about 3/4 km as shown here:

I am actualy off the road to the left, and here have spread them a little for a wider view...

Per the Posts above, these are another alternative, and very good value. I like the fact that they do not obstruct the air flow, so in towing my viscous fan does not come on as much, in fact I have not heard it at all...

Kind regards, on the road with the Ranger... Testing, testing, testing, just for fun... Cool
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I like the Orca for the price, and adjustors, but in truth I still like the Hella the best. Now that is probably not fair, but I seem to notice the Hella on most Interstate Trucking. Further, the Service from Hella is really hard to beat.

For some unknown reason the Hellas, both Spot and Flood, developed some white fog on the inside of the lenses. I put up with it for a year, as my Daughter was driving it, and Josh drove it for a while when he was waiting for the Delivery of his Ford Ranger a few months.. Further, Philip drove it to the Melbourne Show and back, and it is finally back home with the lone Ranger.... Dats me... Wink Anyway I am restoring my old Baby, this 13 year old 100 Series to glory... heh he.. We tried a rinse with Isopropanol alcohol, no result; and then with silicone release, and still no result.

Anyway, short enough Story: There is another Company with Service as good as Bushtracker: Hella. It was parked in front of the Office, so I sent email to Hella as it looked bad. One day later, they sent over a brand new set of lenses and reflectors, one day later. I mean like even delivered by their Rep! They are going to send mine back to Germany, maybe a bad batch of sealant sealing the hard glass lens to the reflector.. Anyway, great service and I still like them.

Spot on one side, flood on the other, very hard German glass... And good airflow.

On the road Ranger, HVRAS Officer, Admin at Bushtracker....
.....and half a Horseman... Laughing Laughing
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone tried the LED Driving lights yet? Round, square, or how about the long Light Bar in big LEDs...

I was thinking of trying out a set, same test, for results in R&D here for Owners. My new Dodge Cummins Diesel does not have any driving lights and high beams are a bit poor for Bush work... If I pick a dark night, we can compare the results to all the others...

For those of you that are not aware, why LED? Simple answer is very low power draw. You probably do not need the complex wiring of a relay to go from the control voltage (switching) to the Power leg through a relay. You might be able to switch them direct.. Then again I guess you need a relay anyway, to use the control voltage of the High Beams to trip the relay to light up the Driving Lights..

GoSeeAus

State:: VIC
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:54 pm    Post subject: Anyone tried the LED Driving lights yet? Round, square, or h Reply with quote

I have tried both and they are very good, the round ones from ARB are about the best that you can get.
They are good for about 400 meters and give a good spread.
I use the spread beam rather than the spot because I want the light in close and lighting up the highway edges where the errant animals are.
I should have also said if you want distance then nothing beats so good set of Hella or Lightforce HID's in spot and spread configuration.

Regards
John. (GoSeeAus)

Last edited by GoSeeAus on Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Condinup

State:: WA
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve,
Go the XGT light force in hid for max distance then say a 20 inch quality bar from someone like rigid industries in single row combination flood and spot for your close spread.
The led lights are a good white light with good spread but can't quite match the distance yet of the good hid spots.
My opinion
Re
MG
Bushtrek

State:: NSW
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bushtracker wrote:
Anyone tried the LED Driving lights yet? Round, square, or how about the long Light Bar in big LEDs...

( edit remaining content)

Steve,
We tried the ARB Intensity round (18 LED) then the Great Whites (18 LED) round lights.
We have IPF 900 Super Sport Halogens on at the moment, which have 170 watt globes. (Know these are for off road use only). These have a high (170 W) and low (100 W) beam and are good for about 1000 metres distance and 50 metres side spread, plus the replacement globe is cheap. But they draw 25 Amps with both on.
The Great Whites are better than the ARB for spread and effective illumination out to about 400 metres. Beyond that distance there is nothing we have found that is really useful. Our conclusion is that the LED's are really good for low speed/ low range driving with the HID's for distance ( as Condinup has commented).
We think the 10 Watt LED is better value per Lumen than a multiple of 3 Watt "globes" in a light module.
Hope this helps.
Tassie Explorers

State:: Tasmania
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve,

We have been using these Hela LED lights for a couple of years. We live on the East Coast of Tasmania and often travel at night (plenty of Roo)and wanted a light that was both broad and long. I am no expert on lights but was able to speak to a bloke at Maree NSW who had all manner of driving lights and said to give them a try. I am happy with them and they only draw a few amps.

Tassie explorer
Louie100

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use Great Whiites, 18 Led round, and I like the compact size for the 70series Landcruiser, still allows plenty of air flow to the radiator. Given that I don't drive more than 100kph at night and a good deal less when towing I find them to be brilliant (pardon the pun), an extremely white light but do not throw as far as the old 130w IPF I used to have. 2 small issues are 1. If I use them on the winding and hilly country roads of north east NSW, they are so bright that I can't see other lights approaching until we are face to face and the other guy cops a face full for a second until I dip to low beam and 2. because the LEDs are so white I find that when dipping to low beam the ligts appear red until my eyes become accustomed. At $690 per light they are not the cheapest way to go but they are extremely well built, come in either black or chrome housings, I would not go back to a globe again, maybe HID if I needed to see a 1000 meters ahead but for my type of work LED is all good.

Cheers
Andrew[

Last edited by Louie100 on Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Brambo

State:: Victoria
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my rig for highway use, I have a set of the Ultra Vision Quattro Elite 70w HID's in spread and spot, pretty awesome light for distance (better than 1km I reckon) and spread (easy 100m):
http://www.ultra-vision.com.au/Driving-Lights/HID-Xenon/70W/power-vision-quattro-elite-2100-maxx-70w

For off-road, I have 2 Great White LED bars mounted on my roof rack: an 18 LED on the front - great at night on tracks, good distance and spread, no need for headlights. On the rear is a 9 LED, angled down to provide plenty of light for recoveries or camping:
http://www.greatwhites.com.au/index.php/bar-light

Non of these setups is cheap, but you get what you pay for. I hope this assists in some way.
D&T

State:: Euphoric
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you jump on Pilbara ARB facebook page they are doing some light comparisons with the brands most are speaking about here. Might shed some light on the subject........sorry!!
G&J

State:: Cautious Optimism
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:54 am    Post subject: Light Comparison and Evaluation Reply with quote

There is some good data from a 4WD Action Comparo test at http://www.lightforce.net.au/images/pages/4WD%20161%20LR2.pdf

They have reached the same conclusions as here. HID if you can afford it for higher speed driving, LED to lower speed work and good spread, and Halogen if on a budget or not chasing the ultimate for distance.

For me a pair of HID spots backed up by a good LED light bar looks to be the optimum.

Regards Geoff
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I do not like about the HIDs is the warm up time. You cannot just flash your lights at someone with their hi-beams on..

Anyway: Based on my research, and the Owners that have them. the ARB High Intensity big LED Driving Lights are the best. Robust, heavy cast alloy cooling fins, polycarbonate covers, laser cut stainless mounts, all of it is the best and most robust I have seen.

So, I bought them, Business to Business Discount, with mount locks, and ARB wiring loom kit, one spot and one flood, the best ARB offer. The only problem is I am not pleased so far with how they are going to fit my Bull Bar, so if any of you want these at a discount, they are yours.
Full kit, covers, also locks set, ARB wiring loom, one spot one flood, $1350 total. That is something over a 15% discount. I will pass them on to you at my cost or return them to ARB, but after two days I am not quite happy with what I have to do mounting them on this bar...

From my research from People that have them, and seeing the quality of the build, I am impressed and think they are the best. I am just not altogether happy with the modifications on my Bull Bar to fit them. You can have them at a solid discount, but move fast.. They are heavy built, massive cooling fins and design, reek of quality...

These come with beautiful lasar cut mounts in stainless steel, and they only draw 10 amps. With the ARB wiring kit they are a cake walk to install. My problem is the heavy laser cut mesh on my bullbar is quite thick, and the vertical distance between the horizontal bars does not quite fit the lights in practice; nothing to do with lights themselves. Being heavy built and low power draw makes the lights quite appealing.

Reports are about "Brights" out to a half a km like broad daylight. They still offer light out to almost a km. These are the top of the range for sure, here in Australia. Any more would get ridiculous... I am not sure anything better than this would be warranted..

Let me know right away if you want them, or I may mount them yet. I am convinced they are the practical best..

Low Power Draw but:
10 Lux at 150 Metres, 1 Lux at 474 Metres, .25 Lux at 948 Metres

Regards, Steven Gibbs
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Friends,

Well, I mounted them, and have gone to, and sitting parked just off the road, on the famous "Test Track" to test them from years ago. Here are the results for you..[/i]

They ARB LED are a tiny bit inhibited, as I mounted them behind the lazer cut monster mesh of my bullbar...

In past years, the very best performers were the HID Xenon Gas Discharge LightForce 240mm ...

Here is what they looked like on the same track the other testing was done on: You can see the reflectors on the narrow bridge up ahead at about 700 Metres.

Now on the same track, maybe a little bit further back, but here are two of the ARB LED High Intensity Spots on the same test track..

Despite what it looks like, differing time of the year: There is not a lot of practical difference between these and the Monster HID lights from Lightforce, except that the ARB LED have NO WARM UP TIME.. And maybe are a little brighter intensity, maybe 10% less distance, hard to tell.. But there is another serious advantage: You can use them for other purposes like flashing other motorist brights, or having a quick look at the approaching curve even in civilization, as they are INSTANT ON...

Considering that they are inhibited by the heavy mesh on my truck, my vote is the ARB LED are the best.... Low power, instant on, cool...

Looking at my pictures, I think if I elevated them a bit more they would win on the range end as well as brightness. I may not have them adjusted well enough yet..

Wink
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Friends,

TESTING ON LIGHT BAR

Everyone has an opinion on things... This can be based on internet research and reports, but the research may be an "Advertorial" to sell the Product. It may be commercially biased. To give you the accurate reviews, I do not pay attention to the advertorials on the Internet, or the opinions expressed by others.

What I try to do in all cases is hands on real time testing, "Empirical Testing" which is why I actually BUY the tow vehicles and equipment I review. I do real time experiential testing I can measure..

This Light Bar is from the Supplier we get our LED running lights from. The one shown here is large LED double row, heavy duty, cooling fins, air scoops on the sides for cooling, a real quality unit.. 60 LEDs on this one, 20 Spot, 20 each side flood, 60x3 watt each. This one is 921mm long, 91.5mm tall, 80 mm deep. 10 Amp draw, 14,400 Lumens.

Now the results, and the pictures are not really very good or representative, the camera did not capture the results as well so I am giving the results: The Light Bar is for short range, it has twice the flood, and little depth of range. I would suggest it is good for Roos bounding in from the sides, but only at about 40 to 60 kph. It only had an effective range of about 200 Metres, but wide flood..

Now it was actually less light than that, the camera is inaccurate on what it was really like as it took more of a long shutter speed on the flood for some reason.. Then here are the ARB High Intensity lights. There is actually MORE light than shown, and higher intensity, these pictures are really on relevant to show you the spread and range. On the Light Bar above, in reality it was only good to about 200 meters.. With the ARB big High Intensity lights, you got out about three times as far: The dot in the center where the road disappears is 700 Metres, a narrow bridge sign.

This is really what you want at 80-100 Kph for a narrow bridge or cattle on the road.. In reality, the pictures are not accurate due to the camera auto adjusting. When there: The Light Bar is for short range flood at slow speed, and raising it up made it worse.. The test is quite conclusive in person: The concentrated round pencil beam of the ARB High Intensity Spot lights is for long range, higher speeds, up ahead the narrow bridge or cattle on the road.

The ARB light combined with the truck high beams, still have enough side light to do the job for Roos Bounding in, but also reach out for the hazards further ahead. ARB Wins!

My ARB High Intensity Spots are still for sale. The Light Bar is outside that heavy mesh, the ARB High Intensity LEDs are inside, and still really won hands down... They do not fit the Bull Bar and behind the heavy laser cut mesh are also impaired a little, but they still win. They are for sale, as the cattle Bull Bar has heavy mesh that cuts down air flow and lights mount is behind them. Where it would work better on a standard ARB sort of bull bar, they do not work well on this rig, so I will still sell them as the mesh cuts my airflow and cooling too much.

For heavy towing in the heat, to keep them, I would have to cut off the heavy thick mesh, and I would rather keep the mesh. Unfortunately the ARB lights cannot mount anywhere else on this bar, or I would keep them..

Kind regards, Empirical Testing from the Road Ranger... Wink
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maza

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:28 am Post subject: Driving Lights Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
Hi all,

Am slowly building up my Navara to go outback. Got the bulbar and snorkel and sundry other thingies. But what lights can anyone recommend?
Am leaning towards H.I.D......the price difference from ARB and my local auto shop is ridiculous. There's also IPF $295 each $858 fitted; LED; Narva (I think).
Am I going ong the right path with HID, and is $280 an ok price for fitting?
Not doing serious 4x4 at this stage. Just want to get from VIC to NT safely.

Cheers,
Maza

surfy53

State:: QLD
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:11 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
I love spotlights and the new LED bars, just love 'em.
Now, how much night driving do you intend to do? I've got two ordinary round spotties on the front to help make the bulbar look mean and tough. Really, I hardly do any night driving if I can help it. When towing, we are mostly in the back blocks somewhere and with the amount of roo's and other stray stock on the road we tend to be off the road by 2 to 3 pm now. That is early but we don't do too many kms a day.
So, back to the question, how much night driving.
Wherever you buy them, tell them exactly what you want them for and I'm sure they'll sort you out.
I'd love a big LED bar, but it would get little use.
Cheers,
Chris.

Nordave

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:19 pm Post subject: Lights Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
I have just set up my F250 with light fource LED 250s
Was a bit sceptical at first but the dealer said he guaranteed that I would like them or he would give me my money back.
He was right they are great.
I had HIDs on the last car and they were great and would light up km ahead.
The LEDs don't have the same range but honestly I don't miss that. Who needs to see 2 km ahead anyway.
I have a spot and a flood and the coverage is great.

Maza

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:44 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
Hi,
Would prefer not to drive at all after dusk. The lights would be a precaution.
Just cannot understand the price difference between ARB and my local auto shop.
Because I'm female, a lot of guys in shops dismiss me or talk too technically. And the guys I know personally differ in advice.
So I'll go to my auto shop tomorrow, find out exactly the difference between these lights (leaning towards H.I.D) and tell them what lights are for.
Another option is to go to ARB, where they have all the lights on bars on, and pick a pair that I'll buy elsewhere.
Thanks!
Maza

Nordave

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:26 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
Hi Maza
I have been driving in the out back for more years than I care to admit.
Have had just about every sort of driving light around.

HID or High Intensity Discharge lights are properly the pick if. You want long range coverage. They literally light up for huge distance. Can't remember the exact figure but they have a high lux (light strength) for over a kilometre. This gives a great feeling of safety but remember most animals will come from the side of the road. It's not the ones you see in the distance you hit. It's the ones that come out of the dark on your sides.
the down side is they need a ballast to drive them which is another thing to go wrong. They take a few seconds to heat up and come to their best intensity. They also run very hot. Obviously they are expensive as well.
LEDs are relatively new but I think becoming proven for reliability.
They run cool and don't consume much power. Being quite new technology they are expensive as well.
In this respect the coverage they give can be very good as that can be individually aimed to cover more area.
Make sure you get a spot light for long distance coverage as well as a flood light for closer coverage. Most animal strikes occur from close range so it is important to have a wide light pattern to see them.
If you get light bars which come in LEDs as well as round ones make sure you are aware of your local States rules. Some state will not allow one single one and they have to be in pairs.
To wind up, if you are not going to use them often and don't travel long distance at night you may well just need a couple of cheap driving lights. The price difference is the local auto shop is properly quoting you a set of cheap no names where as ARB etc will be quoting the named brands.

Rosiebear

State:: Qld
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:39 pm Post subject: hID'S Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
I've tried most lights over the years and the best I have ever had were Hella Rally 4000's which after 6 years of service with 100 watt globes I retrofitted with HID kits I purchased off Ebay and this transformed the already brilliant performance of the lights. I later added a 24" LED light bar to the mix which was also cheap from Ebay and gives a great close wide, white beam infill light to compliment the range of the HID's. I tried HIDs in the headlights but they were good, but hopeless with glare for oncoming traffic on low beam so I took them out. These were on a Gu patrol. I sold the vehicle and kept the lights.

I put the LED bar on the iveco truck which came with the smaller version of the 4000's and fitted the HID kits from the big lights to them, and they are brilliant.

Hid conversion kits are just over $100 so affordable. The Hella 4000's are by far the best light, and have the most rugged mount, and are all metal.

No doubt others will have different views. The other light I had the pleasure to own and use for many years were Cibie oscas, and would be my second choice for performance.

If your rolling in "it" then the factory Rally 4000 HID would be the go. Just don't get sucked into these lights with the fancy plastic mounting stalk legs that break when someone gives them a bit of a bump. Light might be good but they are fragile, stick with a metal light and solid mount.

Condinup

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:21 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
Hi All,
At risk of playing my toy is bigger than your toy, I have found the new Great Whites Gen 2 range of LED lights far better than HID.
I have for some time been using the Light Force XGT 240 lights in HID which have been the leaders for range.
The new 220 Gen 2 spot is about 15-20% better with no time lag and all the other benefits of LED.
The mounting is rock solid and very robust, with a 5 year replacement warranty.
My opinion

Regards
mg

Bill

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:06 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
As Nordave says above the roo that slams into you will come from the side. I had the rear bumper knocked off a Landcruiser a couple of years ago. I have found the new type LED's to be good but on my new RAM I only put on a light bar. You can get these designed for long distance or just proximity. Living in an area where it takes 3 months to make an appointment to see a panel beater I try to avoid driving at dusk and dawn. I also use the sonic devices which are now very cheap. I have 5 stuck to the lightbar.
Roachie

State:: SA
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My take on this subject is based on many years of long distance night driving in outback areas.

Over the past 43 years I've tried all manner of lighting set-ups including the replacement of the standard H4 globes in the original headlights with new Hella 130 watt etc....but that was many years ago.

In recent years I've tried the various Lightforce offerings, culminating in the HID variants. For Lightforce, probably the best set-up I had was on my Nissan Patrol/Chev 6.5 diesel powered dual cab conversion; I had 4x Lightforce 170 HID lights. These were mounted together between the uprights of the bullbar and the 2 outer ones were angled outwards slightly to illuminate the sides of the road. That was a good set-up, but the annoying part was (and still is) the fact that HIDs take a certain amount of time to warm up.... Yes, it may only be 10 to 15 seconds; but that is a long long time when you're travelling at highway speeds. Also, not sure if it was just mine, but all the various HIDs I'd tried (all of which were Lightforce), seemed to have a "dead" spot about 100 meters in front of me.

When I sold that truck and bought a Toyota 100 series in 2009, I bought a pair of Fyrlyt 150s. I was going back to older technology with the halogen globes, but the housings are MUCH better quality and the light output MUCH better than any of the various Lightforce options I'd been trying.

However, something was still not quite right.....I no longer had the benefit of the light out to each side of the road. That's when I discovered LED light bars!! I bought a 32" double row light bar and mounted it in an aluminium holder on the front of the roof rack. This is technically illegal, so I included a hinged flap that could be swung over to cover the bar up when not in use. See pic below.

That then became the BEST set-up I'd ever had....no dead spots at 100 meters and no warm-up time either.

I sold the Landcruiser and bought my current truck; a 2012 Silverado. I took the Fyrlyts off the Landcruiser and fitted them to the Chev in place of a pair of HID lamps (not sure what the brand was). Now, because of the additional bullbar width, I was able to fit a new, shorter, 4-row LED bar in the middle section of the bullbar. This set-up is now equal to what I had on the 100 series.

Fyrlyt (made in South Australia) have now released an even better light; the Nemisis 250 watt. These lights will simply blow away all other brands and types and for a reasonable price around $1,000-. I have not personally fitted or tried them, but I have seen the comparison pics of the 150 (like I have) and the new 250. They are simply BRILLIANT.

Disclaimer: I have no interest in Fyrlyt (or Lightforce for that matter).....these are just my opinions and findings from having driven around 3 to 4 million kilometers; an estimated 300,000 of which have been done at night.

The current arrangement; the 180 watt LED quad row lightbar, the Fyrlyt 150s and a 20" LED lightbar tucked-up underneath, and 14" behind the bullbar (connected to the factory FOG light relay so it can only be used when I am on low beam or parking lights and.... goes off when I switch to high beam of course).

Bill
Lizard322

State:: Vic
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject: FYRLYT's Reply with quote

It's 2 years on since your post Bill and I've been using a set of FYRLYT Nemesis 900s for a year. I don't have previous experience over a range of spotlights however I did an amount of research before settling on the FYRLYT's and I have found them to be good. Very good. Both in range and light type. They are well made and a huge help to my ageing eyes at night.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> Tips on SAFETY WHEN TOWING All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: