Garmin InReach

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> GENERAL DISCUSSION
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Knightriders

State:: WA
Current Bushtracker owner:: Yes
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject: Garmin InReach Reply with quote

I'm looking at purchasing the Garmin InReach instead of a satellite phone. If anybody is running these devices, could you please let me know if your happy with it, or are satellite phones a better option?
I like the option with the InReach, that you can sign up for only a month instead of 12 months subscription.
datama

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knightriders,

It depends on what sort of comms you actually want/need or how urgent you want to be able to make contact ……and the degree of how much you value your life.
Our sat phone we have had for many years and only activate it on a month or whatever I need arrangement and the costs are very reasonable, via Rob Martin (in Perth) who handles connections via PIVOTEL. We can get the SIM Card the day before we go away and have it activated within an hour.

But then you have to have a sat phone first and that is where the initial expense is, but once you have it, that’s basically it. You have it for years.

Bob Martin:
http://www.clientsat.com.au/testimonials/

Have a squiz at this section of fellow BT blogs from the beginning and read them all……carefully.

http://www.bushtrackerforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=4858

All the best with your decision.

Regards,
Dave
Knightriders

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob,

After some more research, I've decided to go down the path of a satellite phone instead of the Garmin InReach. I did look at the Iridium because it has the most coverage but are not that flexible for opting in and out of plans. I have narrowed it down to the Inmarsat Isatphone 2 at this stage.

What make of sat phone do you have and how do find the coverage?

Regards,
Campbell
datama

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Campbell,

We have a Motorola 9505 but there is an updated model since then.
We originally bought the Sat phone from TELSTRA and paid for it up front and opted for the (mandatory) 24month TELSTRA Plan of $30/month but after the 24months, it was not worth continuing on that. It was connected via the IRIDIUM satellite system. But then, that is how you had to do it. Now there are more players in the field with more options.
After the 24months, we didn’t use it for a few years, as we were always in mobile coverage area and CDMA mobile was still around, with its incredible coverage pattern. But that was pre BT ownership days where we used to take the van but now we go quite remote.

Suggest you have a chat to Bob first for some advice. Then decide what Sat phone you want to purchase and for occasional use, see per my previous comments. Bob was originally in Como but as of last year, moved to Maylands. I have found him very helpful…. as against the big players.
You can just ring him a couple of days before you wish to activate and arrange to go and pick up the SIM card and then as we do, cancel it when we are back. He can post the SIM to you and you do all the business over the phone if you choose. Minimum period is 1 month.
As far as coverage, we have never had an issue, just so long as you generally have clear LoS (line of sight--ie: no heavy green coverage) to the heavens.
Hope that assists you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> GENERAL DISCUSSION All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: