MOST IMPORTANT: Carry/ New Electronic Engine CODE READER

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> Tips on TOW VEHICLES
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bushtracker
Site Admin

State:: Queensland
Current Bushtracker owner:: Yes
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:33 am    Post subject: MOST IMPORTANT: Carry/ New Electronic Engine CODE READER Reply with quote

Hello Friends,

As you know, I am troubled with these new EECU type engines ( Engine Electronic Control Unit ) as when they stop, you cannot tell how to fix it... I have been doing research on it on your behalf... If you could just tell what was wrong with maybe a dozen sensors and black box control units, 9 times out of 10 it is just a clean of a Sensor, or a tightening of an electrical connection, or the cleaning of the sensor plug... And away you go!!!

But there are any number of them and WHERE do you even START to look... Shocked Question Well, this is possibly the most important piece of gear you should carry along, for when you are stuck with an engine problem...

Here is the anwer: Diagnostic Trouble Code Readers.... As it turns out the EECU or ECUs run on two different systems, one for the American vehicles, and one for Japanese and European Vehicles like Land Rover and VW... OK? I have split this into the two categories in this Topic....

For American built vehicles: Look at this idea, for security and peace of mind: I am buying a Tuner for my full import F-350 King Ranch. It not only will tune the engine for fuel economy, but also read codes..... Diagnostic Trouble Codes or DTCs... Then when you fix the sensor or problem, it will clear the Codes for you and everything is back to normal without going to a Dealer in the Tanami or out back of Augathella.. Laughing

At worst, you need a little part, that is mailed to you Air Mail, and you install it and Clear the Code, and away you go... A tuner that does this (there are any number of them) can give you about a 15% better fuel economy and have this Code reading ability. You can down load the list of Codes and what they mean. After two years of research and having owned a PowerChips, and an Edge Juice with Attitude, I have decided from all reports THIS is the best unit: SCT LIVEWIRE tuner It looks like this:
http://hiperformancediesel.com/index.php?cPath=3_7_775

Now there are also Diagnostic Tools, that only read and clear codes, so you can attempt a fix yourself or at least call for help or call for a part..... They look like this:
http://www.iequus.com/products.php?category_id=1_10_7
or like this:
http://www.actron.com/product_category.php?id=249

But note: These are only for the American Vehicles...

For Japanese (and European) Vehicles:
This is courtesy of Greg of Bow & Nan, a picture of the ScanGauge II on their 200 Series Landcruiser

Greg writes: "ScanGauge 11 will read and clear codes and can be used to monitor battery voltage, RPM, Speed, water temp, throttle setting, air intake temp, timing, etc ScanGuage 11 can be used as a trip computer"

Very good Greg!

I have just searched the Internet for you Bushtracker Owners and narrowed it down to the source... Here it is a direct link:
http://www.scangauge.com.au/

I will assert this is probably one of the MOST important things to add to your 200 Series, OK?. The why of it all is that you can tell what is wrong, and maybe fix it or at least get on the phone to find out HOW to fix it or get a new electronic part or sensor sent out by Express Post...

The GREAT NEWS is that it works for Land Rover, and other Euro vehicles like VW, as well as the Japanese vehicles.. I will assert that for an inexpensive price ($235) from the source, WOW This is Cheap Insurance..... VW? Land Rover? or any number of Japanese 4x4 vehicles? This is your ticket out of trouble and back on the road when the nearest Dealer might be 1000 kilometres away... Wink

Then all you have to do is get the list of Engine Codes and what they mean for your specific vehicle... OK with this? Look, even if you are not a handy sort of person, you can have someone work on it with your "Technical Input". In my research I have found that most of the time it is a simple fix, a clean or tighten or clean of a plug in the system. With the Code Reader, a lot of the time, you could could get back on the road with the minimum of fuss. If not and you need a part, you will at least have a good idea with advice from your Dealer on what part to get mailed to you by Express Post... Look, they cannot help you over the phone, if you cannot tell them what is wrong.. This is better than the drama to recover your vehicle and Bushtracker from a remote setting, believe me, been there and done that...

The last thing to fully organize this, is not only to download the Codes and what they mean from the Internet or your Dealer, but also to get a set of pictures of your engine showing the locations of the sensors, and find out the locations of the Control Units. Most of the time, armed with this, if you are handy or even if you are not: You will be able to affect a fix.

Best Regards from the Ranger, trying very hard to look after you... Cool
And that is what this Forum is all about.
Semper Fidelis

Last edited by Bushtracker on Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supplemental Next Level, to this if you are handy...

On the Forums for your Vehicle type, whether Land Rover, Chev, Dodge, Ford, Landcruiser, there is a Forum you can join... And the various Companies have Technicians on those Forums to help sort out problems and give advice as well.. Now you can find out, which sensors or control modules have potential problems by the failure rate, and purchase them as spare parts in your travels..

Why? Case in point: A Dodge Cummins engine, hit the water a bit too hard on a creek crossing, and cut a wire to the electronic fan cooling supplement. This caused the Transmission to overheat, and threw a Code, and locked him up in a "Limp Home" mode in first gear... Now they design these systems with the idea of safeguards, so you cannot actually hurt the transmission... Around town it is a good idea, and most of them would have a low oil pressure sensor and a temperature sensor on the transmission for instance. In this case the mishap wrecked a sensor, and so for a plastic sensor, the vehicle had to be put on a flatbed truck and brought back from Mt Isa... Shocked

Now, had he a sensor for low oil pressure, and temperature, and a TCM Transmission control module, these could have cost him $1000 for instance.. The towing of his van back by another vehicle, and the trucking of his own vehicle, cost him three weeks of greif and many times that in cost...

My point? If you are handy, you could buy and carry the major sensors that your Forum will point out as potential problems, and even maybe the EECU Engine Control Module or TCM Transmission Control Module... These are "plug and play" units, first you try cleaning plugs and such.. Then replacing sensors, then maybe the control modules if that has not already fixed it... Just a thought and the direction I am headed. If you want to go down this road of self sufficiency and Reliance: You need to carry a list of the Codes, and a picture of your engine showing the location of the Sensors and Control Modules... And then at least you will have a hope of affecting a repair.

For instance, on the Brazilian built Fords, the 7.3 litre is notorius for blowing the CPS... Cam Position Sensor. Now as it turns out, this is a platic and DISPOSABLE item, like belts and radiator hoses, and you should carry one.. In Augathella you could be in trouble. But if you order one from the PowerStrokeShop.com it is only about $29 U.S. and you should have one in your glove box...

In the full import Fords, the same sort of thing, a VGT solenoid. This regulates the VGT Variable Geometry Turbo... It adjusts the angle of the turbo blades to suit the best performance...

On my Mack? I have full spare EECU (Engine Electronic Control Unit), and VECU (Vehicle Electronic Control Unit) for dash instruments and controls... Expensive? Yes, $4500... Shocked Rolling Eyes BUT that is not money thrown away, they are always worth that, and think about the recovery of Mack full time 4x4 Dual Cab Horse Truck... Shocked Sad

These are just examples, and it might be worth looking into for your particular vehicle. You do not have to understand what you are doing, you can do a hunt and peck sort of replacement, and the most common sensors and boxes might not be that expensive compared to the alternatives.. OK?

Regards, stg, "On the road again" back from Tamworth..
Searenity

State:: NSW
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Folks,
I have been looking at the value of such scanning tools - Steve certainly seem to support the idea. For those with laptops has anyone used the following scan tool ? -- http://www.mrcarscan.com/

regards

Des
The Hob

State:: QLD
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite a few of those on the LCOOL200 forum use Scangauge II.

It gives a reading without any laptop. Probably not as detailed as MyCarscan.

Most, including me got our Scangauage from Wooders Garage for $190 delivered to my door. Just plug it in and away it goes. The latest model is $230

http://www.wooders.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=213_43_145&products_id=29&zenid=efkdro49a76gec97p8nnitajt5

Alan
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here it is, installed in my new 07 King Ranch F-350 Crew Cab Dually. The latest research for me, with now 678 Posts on the Ford Forum doing Research....

In my Brazilian built F-250 I had the PowerChips, plug and play module.

In my 06 King Ranch F-350 CC DRW LWB, I had the Platinum Edge Juice w/ Attitude Module.

In the Silverado I ran R&D on for you, I ended up with the Quadzilla...

And now I have gone back to Ford, with my new 07 King Ranch F-350; I have the Ultimate, SCT LIVEWIRE... Why Livewire? Because you can get Custom tunes written for it, Emailed to you, designed to accept those tunes for your specific needs. My Livewire came with a Street Tune, Tow Safe 50, Tow 65 (getting too much), and Performance that is probably the best fuel economy at about 120 HP more and 220 more in Torque... You cannot tow with such a tune for fuel economy...
So what to do? I am going to get a Performance Tune that is Tow Safe to protect the Transmission, will hopefully be the best tune for Towing Fuel Economy and beat the 200 Series (or at least I am trying) with twice the truck in power and comfort and safety for a larger van like mine...

The other goodie just added today, for BIG TIME towing is an EGT Exhaust Gas Monitor, big van pulling a long grade? Run to maximum EGT and then back off and your Turbo will LOVE you... This SCT also has all the DTC Code Readers as well as a Monitor to dial in six of 20 engine and transmission functions for you on a Monitor screen. Tuner, DTC reader and code clearing, and Monitor in one. Here is what it looks like:

Forget the little Samsonite Luggage, that is overnight stuff in one side and minor tool kit in the other, just filling a dead spot on the floor... The SCT Tuner/reader/monitor is the "Livewire" and all there is to it is self contained in this screen module:

It is reading Exhaust Gas Temperatures right now at a cold idle, in the big box... And battery charge and Engine Coolant Temp... But there are 20 I can select from.. I have become a bit of an expert in researching the pluses and minuses of all the Tuners, and this is the top of the heap...

Oh and the SCT, what does it mean? Steves Custom Truck... Exclamation What Else Laughing Laughing Laughing

Regards from the Rig Junkie...
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been getting fantastic Service from Larry Musgrave of Discount Power Parts in America...

He deals in all Aftermarket Performance enhancing equipment, Tuners, and just about everything to do with the American Trucks. He recently even shipped my a stainless 3.5" Turbo Back downpipe from MBRP.. Credit Card, Air Mail, and it is here. I bought my SCT Tuner from him as well, and he has made a call to get me an Economy Tune for fuel economy boost... Sent to me for the SCT by EMAIL !! Cool, very cool... Wink

Great Bloke to deal with, and I recommend them.. And I will Post the results and follow up...

You can contact him Direct at

Larry M Musgrave [Larry@DiscountPowerParts.com]

Regards from the road Ranger... Laughing
Trenty

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve

I am advised by distributors that unfortunately the Scangauge II is not compatible with a 100 Series TD Landcruiser (2002). So if anybody is aware of a like product (i.e. one that scans, monitors and reads EEC codes and does not require a laptop to function) I would appreciate a heads up on it.

This is a great forum when used for its intended purpose.

Regards

Greg Trent
Brad & denise

State:: WA
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:48 am    Post subject: Scangauge Reply with quote

Hi Greg

Unfortunatly I read this topic a week before your posting and didn't re-read the topic. I purchased the scangauge last week and sent myself crazy trying to get the b??xz!! Mad thing to work. On phoneing them I was told it doesn't work on th 100 series, I hope to get a refund.

Brad
Loki of Condor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the page that shows all the compatible vehicles:

http://www.scangauge.com.au/support/CompatibleVehicles.shtml

It works on the petrol 100 series but not the diesel.

Now, if ever there was a reason to upgrade to a 200 series....

By the way, I've got mine showing:

Litres/100k fuel consumption,
Inlet air temp,
water temp,
and recently added power in kW.

Here's the link for KiloWatts: http://www.scangauge.com.au/support/pdfs/Ample%20Outdoors%20-%20X-Gauge%20-%20Kilowatts.pdf

I'm hoping someone smarter than me will find out how to code in transmission temp.
Brambo

State:: Victoria
Current Bushtracker owner:: No
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:31 am    Post subject: After market diesel engine tuneup kit Reply with quote

It appears from my research that the Scanguage II, and the SCT Livewire Flash Tuner are not compatable with the Toyota LC100 (mine is a SEPT 2005) series turbo diesel. Is the only option for incresaed power and economy to spend big bucks on exhaust, intercooler, turbo mods etc?

I have also read and heard a little about the DP Power Chip giving good results.

Has anyone got an update to this?
Loki of Condor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bram,

forgive me if I have mis-read your post but the Scangauge doesn't do anything to increase power, it just gives a readout of existing parameters frome your vehicle's computer. You are right, however, it will not work with 100 series diesels.

cheers
Brambo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:33 am    Post subject: Scanguage Reply with quote

Stephen J,

Regarding the Scanguage not improving performance, thanks for the reminder, I did know that. Just forgot to mention it.
Brambo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:47 pm    Post subject: Scanguage Reply with quote

So, is there an alternative to Scanguage for the 100 series TD?
Loki of Condor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that anyone has found so far....
UncleDodgy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings Brambo

You can gain a very hansome increase in power from a turboed diesel by utilising LPG as an additive to the intake air. The engine never runs on LPG alone, but will continue to run on diesel when the LPG tank gets empty. Wink Very Happy

We have this set up in our Nissan Patrol 4.2 L Turboed Diesel. By the dynamometer we have gained an extra 20 horsepower to the rear drive axle. Idea

There is (or there was) a Government subsidy for the inclusion of LPG into the fuel system. We paid $1000 for a $3000 job. Check it out soon as the subsidy may be dropped soon.

It has made a very noticeable increase in the overtaking capability of the Nissan in 4th gear, while towing about 3500kg. Very Happy I strongly recommend the fitting of an exhaust gas temperature gauge if you go with LPG, to monitor just how hard you are working the engine, as with the gas added they get very serious about pulling when going up hill, and if your turbo is not correctly set by the installer it is possible to overheat the pistons. (What is one more gauge to monitor while you drive after all) Wink Wink

Come back to me if you want more details.

Cheers
John
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Progress marches on, now in 2010 I am revising my advice a little.. I am softening my stand on the electronic engine management systems for vehicles in remote areas (Outback). There are a few things that now make it more managable if you utilize the following:

1) The advent of easy to use OBDII scanners and code readers, that will tell you what is wrong.. You can have a part flown in or check the electrical connections on that part which is a most common fix... Anyway, the scanner and Code Reader makes the systems more manageable in remote conditions... Download a list of the Codes and what they refer to, and this is manageable.. IF

2) You do your research and carry a few common little parts. In my new Ford 6.4 Twin Turbo, a common thing to play up is the EGT sensor (there are several) at the end of the DPF.. On some vehicles is just burns out or melts the wiring to ground. Sooooooo, I have done my research, just like on the 7.3 Brazilian Ford where you carry a CPS.. On this 6.4 out of the last 85 trucks, 2 have been replaced so I carry a spare post exhaust EGT probe... Duh... And I have an extra for any of you people that talk nice to me... Laughing

3) Most importantly: Get a Diagram mapping the sensor and black box locations. Most of the time it is just the electrical connection, packed with dust, corroded, come loose, and a simple clean would do it if just knew where it was. A code reader will tell you what is wrong, a map of the engine will tell you where the component is. Sometimes it just needs a clean of probe or valve itself to get a fix..

Now some of you Owners may be chipping up your engines, (meaning to tune it higher than the depressed state for inner city emissions controls;) and that is actually beneficial to the planet as you burn less fuel.. You may be over looking a major value of something that some of the Tuner Displays have like SCT and SPARTAN. It is not a toy. Yes it can read and clear codes and that is the most important, but there is something else. When you hop up a twin turbo diesel with a program, you can run too hot of exhaust gas on a long hill and damage your Turbo... It is called monitoring the EGT (Exhaust Gas Temperatures) with a probe in the exhaust stream, and you run to the EGT maximum that your engine can take without damage. On my 6.4 TT PSD International Diesel, that is about 1250-1300 degrees F. You get there EASY with a big load on a long grade. Especially when I add 210 HP like I am going to do for fuel economy because this engine and transmission are so strong.

You either run to a MAXIMUM or you run a Tuner like Spartan, that will DEFUEL at around 1200 degree Fahrenheit for the Ford Twin Turbo 6.4 for example. If not, you need to watch the gauge and let up on the go pedal on a long grade, OR, you will be buying a new turbo... Or worse... Someone I know, burned up a turbo on the long grade up to Blackbutt on a Dodge Cummins. This was most likely due to too high of EGTs.

I do not know if your Scangauge on the 200 Series Toyotas will monitor EGTs. If you are not tuning the motor it is not so necessary. On other vehicles if you tune, it is very important. The beauty on the New Ford is all the Probes are in place already for the EGT monitor. If not on the 200 Series, if you are going to tune it, you have to put in a probe to protect it.

Note: The probe has to go in the UP PIPE to the Turbo, not after it... Idea Shocked To properly protect it... There is an art to putting in the probe, do not do it without research, magnet, and so on, tricks.. There are three things in a display you want, EGTs, EGTs and EGTs... Laughing Just kidding, transmission temperature and engine coolant are good to..

Most of the Tuners have a selection type readout for these... On the new full Import Fords, the probes are already in place, and you simply plug in the screen. The most popular for the new 6.4 Twin Turbo engine is the DashDAQ and it has a variety of selections:

After many months of Research: Mine will be Ordered tomorrow from SPARTAN Technologies, and I like the look of the center style of these selection choices:

Why EGTs? For one I am adding a 210 Horsepower Tow Safe tune. These engines and 5R110 transmissions are so strong you can do this without upgrades or modifications, and this is what is recommended for the best fuel economy.. That will be 560 Horsepower in my F-450. On a long grade, you either run to the gauge or have a Tuner that will defuel the engine (drop the tune) if you hit maximum EGTs... On my truck I will have both, the Spartan does it automatically below the safe limit, AND I will have an EGT gauge...

More for your plans, to check out, if you are going to buy an electronic engine managed system. Do your Research, and if there is a weak component, buy the spare and put it in the glovebox. If not, at least with a Code Reader (Engine Diagnostic Codes) and a list of Codes and what they mean, and a map of the Engine Components, you will have more than a half a chance of effecting a field fix in the Bush..

"Stay on the road" with the Ranger
Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> Tips on TOW VEHICLES All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: