BT to the rescue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> TRAVEL LOGS AND BUSHTRACKERS IN ACTION PICTURE GALLERY
View previous topic :: View next topic  
naustin

State:: South Australia / QLD
Current Bushtracker owner:: Yes
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:15 am    Post subject: BT to the rescue Reply with quote

Two days ago we were taverlling from Wirrulla to Kingoonya in 43deg heat. It's about 250ks of desert track. About 80ks out of Kingoonya we came across a young couple whose small Landy had given up. They had been sitting in their car for about 1.5 hours with no shade in 43 degs. Unable to get the car started we decided to tow them to Kingoonya. We had the Van and car (200 series LC) fully loaded wth all 6 tanks full and I was a little concerned about how we would go. We had no coms between vehicles and the poor buggers in the Landy had no aircon and were unable to see beyond the back of the van. At times the dust was so bad that he even had trouble seeing the tow rope. We traveled at 40ks/h and the camera on the back of the van was a Godsend. Anyway to cut a long story short, 2.5 hours later we arrived at the Pub in Kingoonya safe and sound. We only saw one other car travelling south that day. The cruiser was fantastic the temp gauge didn't rise in the slightest.
Neil and Linda

BT road train

The happy Couple

UncleDodgy

State:: Queensland
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good on you Neil and Linda

In that location and that heat, you have very likely saved their lives.
Without shelter in that sort of heat the body requires a fair amount of water, and travelling supplies can be depleted quickly.
I am certain they would not have minded suffering the dust to be rescued from a situation like that.
I doubt that anyone would not take steps to attempt to rescue someone in that sort of situation, however that does not detract from the service you undertook. You were the ones there when needed and deserve the congratulations on a job well done.
We congratulate you both.
Cheers
outbackjack

State:: South Australia
Current Bushtracker owner:: No
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:54 am    Post subject: Road to Kingoonya Reply with quote

What a nice caravan, wish I had one like that. I was wondering if you were interested in posting some pics of your trip on the Kingoonya Gallery or the Kingoonya blog? http://www.kingoonya.org.au
Hope the road was in good condition if not I will have to chat to my hubby as he grades it lol
naustin

State:: South Australia / QLD
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G'day Outback Jack, It was good to to see the web site on Kingoonya and I hope the pub can stay afloat. I had never been on this track before and found it to be a really interesting trip. The scenery in places was quite spectacular. The road was in good nick with only a few spots near the cattle grids with bad corrugations. I would thoroughly endorse this track to all BT owners wanting to cut a corner and avoid Port Augusta before heading north. (Coming from Ceduna) I haven't got many good photos but I will go through them to see if any are worthy of your web site.

Cheers Neil
Devils On The Prowl

State:: Tas
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We did this track last year, heading north to south, just really enjoyed it. We took our time exploring & spent 3 days along there.
I can help with some photos, but, as we are heading out of phone range today for a while, it'll take me a little while to post them here.

Regards
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> TRAVEL LOGS AND BUSHTRACKERS IN ACTION PICTURE GALLERY All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: