2009 SILVERADO, OPTIONS AVAILABILITY...UPDATE 9/09

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> Tips on TOW VEHICLES
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bushtracker
Site Admin

State:: Queensland
Current Bushtracker owner:: Yes
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:20 am    Post subject: 2009 SILVERADO, OPTIONS AVAILABILITY...UPDATE 9/09 Reply with quote

Hello Friends,
Well, mine is here, and will be available for inspection in a few weeks. The normal Silverado package of Duramax Isuzu based V-8 Turbo Diesel and Allison 6 speed automatic, and the slew of luxury options you can read about like in a Holden Stateman sort of luxury car, leather and the works all come in the LTZ package.

But now, you can get a few more goodies like a built in Brake Controller, Blue Tooth phone answering system through the stereo, Power Sunroof, reversing camera with screen built into the rear view mirror, dual zone climate control, and more. A power rear window was a key issue, and now Performax has kits in stock to put on. But the purpose of this Topic starting now is the available Government Incentive programs. Tax Input Credit, Novated Lease, and Government Investment Credits for the Banks makes this the deal of the decade. Read about it below...

You can get a shorter back seat suicide door option, that is only 700mm longer than a Landcruiser, and a short bed. See it in the Topic in this Category "ALTERNATIVE TO THE 200 SERIES, THE NEW LMM SILVERADO". This may actually prove to be the best fuel economy and most luxurious, and most of all safest tow vehicle in Australia for caravans over about 22'.

You do not have to go to the maximums that I have done on this big one, long bed, largest CrewCab, Dual Rear Wheels (DRW); but this is for a 5 ton Gooseneck Horse Float with R&D on luxury Fifth Wheel options and air brakes.

My will get a nudge bar in the front, chrome door handles, cargo rails inside the bed, a 2.5" lift in the front, and some more goodies. Pictures will come in due course of course... HOWEVER I am starting this Topic a bit early for another reason: Government Incentives to purchase: Wink
Those of you in business can get a 30-50% Tax Input Credit on any commercial vehicle like this ORDERED before June 30.. Now Firstly, if you take a Novated Lease like I have, you are paying for it with 50% dollars that you would have paid in taxes anyway. Secondly, a Tax Input Credit is another tax deduction that further lowers the price allowing a tax credit (income not taxed) on the balance. Thirdly Banks are getting a “Government Investment Allowance” and the interest rate can be as low as 6%. Combined this is a HUGE deduction on the cost of one of these. This truck will be paid for with about 75% tax dollars and investment allowances to boost business.

I am giving you this little Tip that you have until the end of the month to make such a move. This truck shown above will actually cost me very little over the four year Novated Lease (talk to your Accountant)... In fact, I am going to invest the money I would have spent on buying the vehicle, and cannot believe I will not actually turn a profit on owning it. You may want to consider it if you are still in Business that you can write it off to.

You do not need one as big as this one... Here is the Club Cab, don't know what they call it, but it is only 80cm longer than a Landcruiser and about twice the capability...

And this 2008-9 model, has the coolest feature in that for access the door folds all the way back against the bed... How cool is that !!
[/i][/b]

Maybe before you go spend $90,000 on a 200 Series GXL with serious GVM issues if you try and load it up, and in need of a suspension and with very minimal carrying capacity... You ought to go have a look at these.. Even living in the city I think it is a better and safer alternative..

80 cm longer, and you get 895 Newton Metres of torque and 365 Horsepower stock, 400 HP with exhaust job, and a longer wheelbase for safety and control, and more luxury that a Landcruiser?...

Regards, stg.

Last edited by Bushtracker on Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:25 am; edited 5 times in total
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it is Christmas tomorrow, or a Tour of Candy Land, to me being a Rig Junkie and my truck is due for Delivery tomorrow.... Pictures coming of its oddities and innovations...

Today: I will share some nteresting research on the Duramax Forum, for you fellow Silverado Owners.. Duramax Engine Life towing? They have not been out that long but some are used in commercial towing applications so I put out the feelers. I got a few responses from the Forums:

I got a customer that has 4 06 LBZ's. He delivers various trailers all different weights all over the U.S. He has even driven to Alaska from here in Atlanta!!! He had two of his trucks that had major engine failure. One at 550,000 miles and the other at 500,000 miles. Both engines the crank shafts broke. It also should be noted that he never replaced any injectors or even a water pump. He did have to replace alternators. He has a small program he puts in only when unloaded for fuel economy. When he tows he leaves the engines bone stock.

And another: I know there's a guy on here with an 07 LBZ that has over 300k miles, and it's running great for him. There's been quite a few LB7's that have passed the 300k mark and are still doing great as well.

And a final one: Uncle is a GM Tech and just put injectors in a 02LB7 with just over 500k!! That guy hauls campers for a living as well.

Now, that is the LBZ last body style, but same engine base. This means we should expect 500,000- 800,000 Kilometres out of these engines towing. That is certainly more than I will ever put on one. Wink

Regards, on the road with the Ranger
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Friends,
The new Silverado is here, and can be inspected, but for those of you far away I thought you should see some of the more rare options which I will list and you can decide if they are worth having or not if you order one.

The Silverado, 3500 HD, 4X4, LTZ and I will not bore you with the main features which you can easily research on your own, just these few rare ones:

Dual Rear Wheels (DRW) this is great for extreme payload capacity and stability for very large loads, boats, gull wing canopies, freezers and the lot..

Rear Vision Camera in the Tailgate, come up in a back lit hi definition screen built into the rear vision mirror: Normal fish eye view when reversing..

But then I accidently discovered that tailgate down it looks directly over the hitch. Mind you would have to be careful about your jockey wheel and clearance to the tailgate, but it is a really cute look for hooking up by yourself.

Built in Brake Controller, with a read out in the dash DIC computer of settings...

Power Sunroof

Opening and venting power

Power Sliding Rear Window

Nice if you have someone locked in the canopy, you can hand them in cold meat pie now and then... Laughing Laughing Laughing Or in my case, talk to the dogs... Wink

And with some colors, the chrome door handles are nice..

And last but most important, the shiney bit is Stainless Steel Tie Rod end reinforcements for the independent front end. I think this is mandatory for off road work... (Obviously one each side) and it strengthens the front independent suspensions biggest weakness for minimal cost.

On the standard features you can read about the Silverado in the Topic in this Category called ALTERNATIVE TO THE 200 SERIES, THE NEW LMM SILVERADO..

The rest is all the normal LTZ goodies you can read about... My initial impressions are that of a luxury car, whisper quiet, I mean you can whisper in the car and be heard, pleasure to drive, on a par with the likes of a Holden Statesman. More to come if you like...

Regards from the lone, road, Ranger
Michael Boemelburg

State:: queensland
Current Bushtracker owner:: Ordered
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:34 pm    Post subject: does that mean you have to use your arena as a garage??? Reply with quote

Laughing
I am a bit envious here. Does that mean you have to get rid of some of your other modes of transport? or do you have a very understanding partner.
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Michael,
All joking aside, the tow vehicle is an integral part of the Bushtracker Lifestyle. Because of this, I am always doing hands on R&D. An opinion is just a bulldust shot in the dark, if you do not OWN the gear you are commenting on with hands on with R&G (Research and Guidance... Laughing ) Hence my help and R&D with your "Best Interests in Mind".. Wink

Now, my King Ranch was sold on, and my 200 Series has been taken over by my Wife, and my Son has one of the R&D 100 Series.... The other 100 Series may be on offer soon, for sale.... That only really leaves me the Mack 4x4 Crewcab. If I can get the right gooseneck, or adapt this gooseneck to the Silverado, I may let the Mack go as well. You are right with your joke in a way, and I am trying this Silverado out with my air brakes R&D to condense down to one main vehicle...

But gee whiz, do I still love all the Rigs. Sort of the same problem for me selling horses. Wink I have seven I love, and I am a bit heavy on the side of a couple too many... Sad

But, money in the bank only draws 3-3.5 % right now, and in the next 12-24 months I think we are on the way to hyper-inflation possibly, and in all fairness there may be no such thing as too many Rigs or too many horses... Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

You are welcome to inspect the Rigs when you are here for a visit... Regards, stg
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well here is the latest report with 1800 kms on the truck.
Even as a Dually, it runs as quiet as my 08 2500 HD, and fuel economy is about the same. Here are some of my discovered changes over the 08:

Fuse box, all mini fuses, and relays externally mounted on the side, a nice organized look..

The Silverado now has an all new moulded dash instead of fiberglass, and a nice job of it..

The lights and 4x4 Selector is moved down to the lower right, a better place...

Trip computer, Diagnostics, Maintenance readouts are all up in the upper left now and it looks better...

Built in Brake Controller Readout is also in the Diagnostics readout, Gain setting and power to the brakes.

LED back up lights now installed..

As are new LED running lights on the cab (Dually)...

All in all, very nice improvements in the dash and interior. It is more user friendly now, and more refined on finish. Wink

There are moulded Chevrolet mud flaps available now for front and rear, and the Dually fenders are metal and moulded to the bed as a one piece side panel.

Over all, the fit and finish is more like a luxury car now, and it feels like that to drive to tell you the truth... Bose Stereo, the works.. The pictures and flash on a cloudy rainy day, do not do it justice, but you can see it here most days.

The main point is that this is a quality alternative to the 200 Series, luxury and price close to a Sahara, but even in the single rear wheel model it has a ton more payload, a ton more hauling power, a ton more transmission, a ton more horsepower, a ton more safety and control with the bigger brakes and longer wheelbase; and better fuel economy when towing as well. If someone wanted the luxury of a Sahara, the Silverado in the shorter single rear wheel model is certainly worth considering. There is no question, if you want a van that is at or near the upper limits of a Landcruiser from 21' or 22' and up, OR if you want to load it up with boat and rack and gear as the payload of the Sahara is very light. I assert the LMM Silverado is a far better value. AND the Duramax engine is an Isuzu Base, with reports of 500,000 MILE engine life towing (800,000 kms). Wink

Even for size, in the extra cab four door with the reverse opening door, the Silverado is only 80cm longer than a Landcruiser, and twice the tow vehicle. Certainly worth considering on a larger van.....

Cheers from the mad road Ranger... Laughing
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Friends, I ran a Post on whether or not you wanted to see R&D on Air Brakes addition to a vehicle like this. The POLL ran something like 84% in favour (YES)...

When you tow a very large Bushtracker, over 4500 GVM loaded, you need AIR BRAKES.. On a Dually like mine...

Now for me, it is not the large van, as much as combined 21' and 10' of Horse accomodations with bus cargo bays underneath:

Now it does not look so big from the front, but have a look at the real perspective:

This is 31', 5 ton empty, 7 Ton loaded with horses and tack. This is the "why" about Air Brakes and larger GCM and performance.

I am going to try and retire the Mack due to pain in the "tookas" Log Books and Interstate weigh bridge stops, and so on. This Silverado 3500HD will tow the 7 tons and the Air Brake conversion now looks like this:

Controls, Alarm, and lit air gauge...

Close up....

Air Control Unit in line with Master Cylinder

Reservoir Tank up underneath alongside the chassis rail...

Main 12v DC Air Pump Up alongside the chassis as well..

Now THIS is BIG TIME R&D... You need to have some nerve to go out like this, this big.. I will let you know results "On the Road" as this will test the upper limits of the Silverado GCM..

Regards from the "Road Ranger" Ha! Laughing NOBODY is CRAZIER Laughing

Last edited by Bushtracker on Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:18 am; edited 5 times in total
BobnDi

State:: QLD
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not know what the cost is but this should be top of the tree for those that can afford it and justify the cost. I have run the single line PBR air brakes on horse floats and boat trailers and found them to be very effective and low maintenance but not the breakaway version like this. Cost and performance will be very interesting.

Cheers
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, 3000 kms or so on the clock. EFI LIVE Programming, DPF Delete, and I am running this Dually at 100 kph on the flat from 10.8 to 11.1 litres per hundred. This goes up at 110 with the windage to 12.8 to 13.8 litres per hundred. Still not bad for such a large vehicle and with an engine arguably not even run in yet.. Wink

Now, I am Booked in for a suspension lift in the front. This is my second Silverado, and I think it is just necessary. They are so low in the front you can hardly access under for greasing steering linkage, certainly not on a creeper.

It is so low, just going through a washout and I bottomed out this side bumper and cracked the trim under this fog light. It is just too low, so I recommend that anyone plan on the 2.5" lift. I am scheduled for one next week. Luckily there are stacks of these side trims available as leftovers from people putting bullbars on the LMM.

Now here are a few little personal touches, running lights along the supports for the chrome side steps. Shown Red from behind, yellow from the front.. (Obviously better looking at night, but makes you HIGHLY visible from the side against T bone accident)

And storage is a problem, so I have invented this box design under the 2/3 side lifting back seat, shown seat down and seat up... 2" wide Velcro adhesive tape on the carpet and bottom of box to hold it in place....

These are just the kind of personal touches one can do, or not... But two things of note: The lights on the down supports of the side steps is not a big job and adds to safety as well as the "Big Rig" look. They are the ones we use in LED running lights. And secondly, I now think the lift in the front is somewhat of a necessity for offroad, just like the Tie-Rod end supports.. Wink

Regards, on the road with the Ranger doing R&D in REALTIME...
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Friends,
Here is the latest Option for Silverado that it worth considering.

The stock fuel filter is fair, for clean fuel, down to 5 microns.
This is an additional filter kit to pick up filtration down to 3 microns... It is 40% finer filtration as the stock original filter. In the case of bad diesel, it could mean the difference between long life on injectors and a shorter life. It is in addition to the stock filter, and bolts nicely onto the alternator housing. The Main filter takes the main gunk and water and sensor and this filter does the final refinement for injector erosion.
Here is the view from the front:

View from side:

I am not saying it is necessary, but I liked it, and some of the Bush People are going for it for all the right reasons... Note that I am not pushing this gear, and I get nothing out of it from Performax, I am just showing you what I have done on mine for your own benefit. Wink

Road Ranger R&D...
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again Friends, and Top Tow Vehicle (for larger vans) Enthusiasts Wink

Alright, a 2.5" lift is done. Look, in all fairness the Lift is really necessary for off-road, just like the Tie-Rod Ends Reinforcement.. I get nothing out of this, I am just doing the R&D for you. I have 168 Posts and comments on the Duramax Forum, asking dumb questions of the Chevrolet Techies to make sure I have the right answers... Laughing

The latest change is, you do not have to change shocks to a longer stroke to do the lift, they have raised up the lower shock mounts to a larger one you can see below...

And here is what the Dually "Reiner" looks like now with the lift... At least now I can get under the front on a creeper to lube things and inspect it.. Wink Before, you would bottom out on a modest washout... Confused

It sits a bit more level, certainly more ground clearance now...

I have to say, if any of you drove one of these, you would be in LOVE... Quiet Luxury Car, Awesome Power, and smooth-smooth-smooth. Wink

Cheers from the "Rig Junkie" Laughing
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one is probably dumb..... Rolling Eyes

It might not relate to many of you Silverado Owners, as drawers are definitely better. But it may actually work over drawers. These are GM tool boxes, there is a big lever handle on the inside to connect and disconnect them from the Cargo Rail system. The boxes are fixed until you want to disconnect them and move them to the site of the job. Fairly robust watertight box, door handle type locks VERY robust, and keyed to your ignition key (quite unique). It self keys itself to your ignition key, they said electronically, but no, it is a mechanical connection that "cuts the lock" to fit the ignition key on the first application. Wink Idea

It is handy for me, as I cannot have a drawer system or a canopy, due to the Horse Float Gooseneck set up... Wink I now have two of them, moved over the wheel boxes, one each side and it looks really cute and works even better... Exclamation Just a thought, regards from the lone Ranger.
BobnDi

State:: QLD
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve

Is that nudge bar just for town use or R&D in progress?

Cheers
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew someone would pick that Bob & Di.

I am not saying that it is all that practical, but I have not hit a roo in ten years... Wink The truth is that it is "Art in Life" so to speak, and I just like the Big Rig look. When you put the Alloy Bull Bar on the front, they sort of look very average Nissan or Landcruiser in the front end... If the Air Brake business works and it is happy towing 7 tons, then I will probably have to get the Bullbar and winch like I had on my last 2500 HD Silverado, and settle in for the long haul. But I felt bad when I did it as the looks suffered.

Here is my truck with the nudge bar:

Here is a Mate to it with the Bull Bar...

Right now, I still have "new truck itis" and I like the Big Rig look of the truck front end and cannot bear to make it look so average with the alloy Bull Bar.. I suppose I am being childish, but that is the fun of it, new Tonka Toy truck in the sandbox... Vroom! Vroom!
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, Performance Report:

With it sitting about 10 ton, 5.5 ton Gooseneck Horsefloat on the back, I can give you the first towing report as to power and fuel.

Not a very good picture, I know, but it gives you and idea of the size of the rig. The acceleration on the hill is about like a Landcruiser running empty. In fact, I think at 10 ton GCM, I could still beat my 100 Series in a race, that is how well it runs.

With the Allison on "Tow Haul" Mode, which preserves the transmission, it is running about 500 RPM faster, and downshifts a bit earlier, and of course downshifts on engine brake.... With that running I am getting about 25 litres/100 in hilly country. On the flat I am getting 22/23 per 100. Now that is not great, but this float has a flat slab entry with no aerodynamics, and at 6000 kms, the Silverado is not run in yet.

On the flat, clicked out of Tow/Haul, and it goes down to about 21 ltrs/100. I think with a nose cone wind break, and truck run in, it should be around that 20 ltr/100 km at 10 ton, and that is pretty good. We will see.

On the road, Ranger
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AIR BAGS ASSIST KIT....

This is the same kit for 2500 HD and 3500 HD. It is meant to be an assist to the standard suspension, for overloaded vehicles.

In this case, my 3500 HD 4x4, is up on it's maximum GVM, and being a Dually it is sitting on the overload springs.. This makes for a very hard ride, as it is well into the overloads, so on ruts and bumps it was hitting the bump stops and "bucking". That is a very hard ride, and these Air Bags will lift it off the bump stops and overload contacts.

Canopy, boat on top, and so on..... This is the answer for most. You can also have it with a paddle wheel air up air down control, with an air compressor on board. This will allow you to actually change the ride to suit the conditions..

Regards, stg
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I think I am won over. First of all the Duramax and Allison combination on tow haul mode, does the job without working at it. I mean it drives not that much different than when running empty. Even with this load on the back, a massive 31' Luxury Gooseneck with Bus cargo hold below at about 6 ton with two horses on board:

This is a MASSIVE gooseneck rig, modified by me for Off-Road R&D, and loaded with bus style cargo bays underneath, it is massive behind this Silverado...

It has everything you could want, awning, BBQ, Air, loaded... 6 tons, home away from home with horses...

And I must say, the Silverado does it effortlessly. How? I mean when I tow a Bushtracker up to the weighbridge, it would drag off a Toyota running empty.. Effortlessly. I took a couple of you Owners on a trip to the weighbridge, and they were so impressed they immediately went to Performax and ordered their own as they were in LOVE. It is that good.

I must admit, I am won over. There are a few standouts, Service so close in Gympie at Performax, and good Service too... 4 year, 120,000 km Warranty, and Road Side assist, yes that is a good feeling that you have some backup and a good Parts Department as wel. Yes, and yes, but there are few gear things that get me... Spoil me.... Wink

Some of the creature comfort features are really getting used to me.. Or the other way around... I did not like the LBZ look, but this new body style the LMM gets me. I am a Fan. And now after going on 10,000 kms there are a few standout features:
I like the Missus effect of Her own Climate Control... No more whinging.. Laughing
I like the variable seat heaters, for when I have a sore back or something.. 6 way, back or bum, great... Wink
I LOVE the remote starting, it works out to about 80 Metres maybe 100, and the truck starts up with the climate controls running at what temperature you had set on Auto..... Great on a hot day, you get into a cool car... Great on a cold morning, I start it up from inside the house before I am ready to go.. Wink
But here is a big one, and maybe I am getting old, but:
I must admit, I like the luxury car aspect... Now three months old, and still a joy, my favourite time of the day, driving to work, and then getting to drive home or where ever.. I catch myself thinking back to Luxury cars I have had in the past, like a Cadillac Eldorado, and a Lincoln Towncar. Sometimes I turn the stereo off, just to listen to the whisper quiet running down the road. It is soothing, POWER, but soothing quiet power. I find myself taking Missus out to dinner on a full moon night, to a restaurant on the other side of town, just for the drive... Opening the sunroof, driving a TRUCK like a luxury CAR...

I think I am won over for a number of reasons, these being just a few, but maybe my favorites.. This is TRUCK in capability, and Luxury car in use and comfort..... Top Marks from the lone Ranger.

Getting old and spoiled I guess. Freely admitted to you, I think I am won over...
Laughing

A good choice for you Bushtracker Owners, here is my last Silverado in R&D, a 2500HD Single Rear Wheel, that is featured in the Topic in this Section ALTERNATIVE TO THE 200 SERIES, THE NEW 2008 LMM SILVERADO. This was a great vehicle, and well equipped with the Gull Wing window canopy, drawer system, winch and bullbar and the rest, is certainly one of the top tow vehicles selections available for large vans...

I mean it, I see them all, owned most and: For a larger Bushtracker, this is probably the TOP tow vehicle available...

And it is the better color than my black DRW, the grey metalic hides the road grime...
My black big dually, is only clean for the first five minutes after washing..

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Rob and San

State:: Qld
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve,

Sandy and I were the couple you took to the weighbridge. We were very impressed and could tell the Silverado just didn’t really notice the van on the back. (And I believe it turned out to be the heaviest BT you have built to date, excluding your specialised vans) I have always been a Landcruiser man having owned 7 of them since 1981. They have always been safe and reliable vehicles and the 100 Series Sahara Turbo we owned was an excellent tow vehicle. Having said that, you did notice when heavier loads were attached. Sandy was absolutely blown away by the ability of the Silverado. She was the main instigator in wanting the Chev. We discussed it that night, and found a second hand one for sale on the internet. This turned out to be your old one and we arranged to take it for a brief test drive the next day. When we arrive I asked Sandy if she felt confident enough to have a drive. She almost shoved me out of the way in the rush to get into the drivers seat. They are a remarkably easy vehicle to drive for what looks to be such a huge “truck”. Turns out the gentleman did not really want to sell it and so we made the decision to purchase a new one. Sandy has never been excited by the vehicles I/we have owned over the years, (I’m always excited with a new car, like a kid in a candy store Very Happy ) but this has all changed with the Silverado. It is as well appointed as our Sahara was, maybe quieter and so easy to drive.

As you said to us, “bottom line, if you can afford one, the Silverado is the better tow vehicle”. (or something to that effect) We firmly believe this is the case after your demonstration. We aren’t due to pick up our BT until December but are really looking forward to hitching it up and heading out of town as soon as possible.

I guess, what I am trying to say (in a long winded way) is that if you are in a position to be able to buy a Silverado, do so as you will not be disappointed.

Thanks for all your time that day discussing vehicles it was much appreciated. (How many company Directors would take time out of their day to discuss the merits of owning something they don’t even sell!!!)

Best regards

Rob
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you get a Silverado, here are a couple of new Mods I have collected or invented myself that you should think about...

First of all the stock back up LED lights are no where near what I want on a dark or stormy night... These are just too weak to give confidence and vision.

This square one is the BIIIG LEDs, 6 of them, with lenses, and is almost a set of headlights on the back.. BONUS: It mounts with a minor mod, on the same brackets... Called the "Buzzard" don't ask me where they got the name but they are a terrific light..!!

Now for sure, off-road, you need these stainless tie-rod reinforcing ends:

NOW HERE IS ONE YOU WILL BLESS ME FOR... The only major engineering thing I hate on this truck is the access to the main fuel filter... It is HORRIBLE to access, because the right hand steering arm goes right under it Evil or Very Mad . You have to unplug the water sensor and somehow get to it from underneath (near impossible) or from above after removing the air cleaner and air delivery ductwork... Even then, it takes four hands from top and bottom and is near NIGHTMARE. Twisted Evil

Now it is OK for you to say "I will just let them (Performax or someone else) do it on regular Service"... Wrong attitude If you get a bad slug of diesel you could have to do it yourself, even a couple of times.. Rolling Eyes In fact, you should carry a couple of spare filters "Fur Shur"...

Here is a solution, I love it... An access to the bottom of it through the front wheel boot mudguard with a flap or access panel:

This is mine, not quite finished, but is a flap that folds forward. There is a 50mm strip behind it, riveted on the one side, with plastic push buttons on the other. Take a screw driver and pop out the buttons, fold the flap forward, and you expose the bottom of the fuel filter to get a wrench on it.

Now one more TIP: The O-ring on the top of the filter is a nightmare to hold in place. Maybe a few dots of contact on the outside edge will hold it in place. Or, a little bit of heavy grease on the outside edge of the O-ring groove, but the o-ring is a bit undersized and keeps wanting to pop out so you have to stretch it a bit... Rolling Eyes

I hope this is a help. If you ever have to do it in the field, you will BLESS me.. Laughing

Best Regards from the road Ranger... inventing, R&D, and HORSES
as a Lifestyle
Darky

State:: NSW
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:44 pm    Post subject: Fuel Filter Reply with quote

Good one!!!
Maximus

State:: Western Australia
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:22 pm    Post subject: Fuel filter Reply with quote

Steve

Had my fuel filter replaced by my visiting mechanic to the farm.
Told him about all the ideas. Take off the wheel liner he said, bugger that, so he took off the whole filter assembly back to the block. Took only a few minutes.

Barrie
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I had a major surprise... Many of you may know of this, but I sure did not.

In the Bluetooth phone answering system, that shuts down the stereo and lowers the fan speed to quiet so you can talk through the Bose Stereo system, there is a middle button on the right hand side of the steering column to answer the phone. Anyway, I accidently held it down for a longer second, maybe two, and the computer voice came on with its pleasant dialogue... There was a MENU of things it could do for me, but the most distinctive was "Call" or "Dial".. ?????

Turns out, there is a "Call" system that give you voice recognition tags you can put on your phones numbers, Call "Mom", Call "Leslie"... I was thunderstruck, but then, the "Dial" just sent me over the top. In the "Dial" you select by just saying it, not only does the voice recognition part work, but this is the first system that recognizes numbers... The first system I have lived with that actually works...

I tried to say the numbers slow and clear, thinking it would not work, and sure enough it missed a number recognition. Then I tried again, because the very sweet Female computer voice said something like "Sorry" or "Pardon?" so the second time I spoke at about a normal speed and voice and IT GOT IT!!

Honestly, I had no idea there was a system of voice recognition to this degree that worked, like 2001 Space Odessey, right in my car...! I am impressed.

Anyway LMM Silverado Owners: (About 45 towing Bushtrackers at a guess), it is right there for you in the Bluetooth system. I was calling with my phone, and instead it does it right there on the steering column, with surprising capabilities... It you have not tried it, have a play, it is fantastic and fun..! And a bit scary, that it even has voice recognition for the Menu and numbers..

Regards, on the road with the Ranger...
Maximus

State:: Western Australia
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:47 am    Post subject: Voice calling Reply with quote

Steve

Sorry to disappoint you but it is not new. Have had it in my MB for many years.

Barrie

Maximus Decimus, I have not owned a MB, but am surprised to see this quality in a ute... Laughing Anyway, funny, but someone else compared the "Remote Starting" at 100 M to a Mercedes. Top quality feel.

I just drove mine 200 kms today, broke in now with 10,000 on the clock. with three tool boxes, long range 240 ltr tank and pump, fridge freezer, air compressor, tools, and the rest it must be 4 tons and I got 12.1 ltr/100 all the way to Brisbane. That is over 8kms per litre, at 100km/hr. Went down to 7.5 km/ltr at 110 on the way home....Probably as quiet as a "Merc" to. I cannot recommend it any higher.

Personally I think long term I need the next bigger size truck like a Silverado 4500 HD or an F-450 if my Mack sells, as I am way up on my GVM and GCM with horses on board and my 31' Gooseneck horse float. But I will do with this Silverado "Mercedes" for now. Today with a luxury trip to Brisbane for instance? The Missus Toyota 200 Series stayed home.. We both chose to go in the Silverado. I own both, so what does that say..
Laughing
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> Tips on TOW VEHICLES All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: