Cape Leveque

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> TRAVEL LOGS AND BUSHTRACKERS IN ACTION PICTURE GALLERY
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gdickie

State:: NSW
Current Bushtracker owner:: Yes
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:47 pm    Post subject: Cape Leveque Reply with quote

We are planning a trip which includes heading up to Cape Leveque. Just wondering if anyone has taken their BT all the way.

Regards
Graham and Cath
BobNLyn

State:: QLD
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Graham and Cath
Back in 2006, the official word was 'NO!'
The reason given: caravans take up too much space, and they tend to stay too long! That's from Cooljamon (sp?) 'Resort' at Cape Leveque. When we arrived with our tents, we were allocated a campsite beside a wind-up wind-out Jayco that had a longer footprint than our BT. So how's that for 'bureaucracy'?
The road is no problem for a BT, much of the top end is sealed, fairly rough and concave and sandy for the first 60 or 70km towards Beagle Bay. Most BTers camp at Middle Lagoon, which iscaravan friendly.
Don't be disheartened, definitely go, before it's all stuffed up by the gas plant/pipeline at James Price Point.
Just the most magnificent scenery and light, at dawn and dusk especially.
Enjoy
Wish I was going again
Bob
gdickie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:19 pm    Post subject: Cape Leveque Reply with quote

Hi Bob
We are finally going on our trip on 25th June. We are travelling from Sydney via Broken Hill, Flinders Ranges, Ularu, and Tanami to Wolfe Creek, part of the Gibb River Road and then to Broome. We are travelling with seven vans. One Bushtraker (us) and six Jayco Outback Expanders. Should be a good trip. Thanks for your advice. I have booked seven tents in the campground at the Cape as we have decided for our 8 week trip it is crazy to take tents for a two night stay. This is our first big trip with the BT towed by our Rangie TD V8 Sport. Great test to see if its electrics hold out! So far it has been a great tow vehicle but our group are behaving like a bunch of excited kids about the trip. No one is under 50, mind you.

Regards
Graham and Cath
BobNLyn

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Graham and Cath
Sounds like a wonderful trip you have planned. Probably a wise choice re the tents at Cape Leveque... from memory they were fairly well set up.

We will be at Cable Beach CP from 4 June till 16 July, (Site 468 I think), and another BT couple from Sydney who go every year will be on site 96 (I think they're now considered regulars- it's really difficult to get a site during the tourist season despite the 500+ sites). And if you want to stay in Broome for a while, there's nothing much else besides the Caravan Parks- the 'overflow' sites used to have a 1 week maximum stay. So do make contact if you're in the vicinity. Leave a note if we're not home.

It will be good to see how the RR performs... there have been quite a few threads on this forum. I'll be interested to know, because my son just recently bought a Sport (Petrol), and I have told him that it's officially the back-up tow vehicle!

Have a great trip.
Bob
gdickie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:44 pm    Post subject: cape Leveque Reply with quote

Hi Bob

What a shame, we are at CL 20 to 22 July and at Cable Beach 25th to 27th July from memory so will miss you. We have booked Broome so all is well. We have been there before in our Aussie Awag camper which was great but having a shower and toilet etc makes a big difference. Will do a brief report on the Rangie when and if we get back but so far it is a great tow vehicle for the short trips we have done. Your son is very wise but I think he should have bought a diesel. All our friends have Prados for their Jaycos and are enquiring if Jayco may help with sponsorship of their trip. I have to put up with all the Toyota praise which is tough as I always had Patrols before the RR and you will appreciate the Toyota/Nissan rivalry. All I hear is "dont worry, we will pull you out when it gets bogged". Anyway thanks for your prompt reply and I hope we will catch some time in the future.

Best wishes
Graham and Cath
Ted & Narelle

State:: Qld
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Graham & cath we were at cape leveque last june for a week no probs towing BT great camp spots along the way when you get to the top the best camp spot is frank davies place if you need any more info call me 0414304916 Very Happy
surfy53

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were up at Cape Leveque in September last year and the road was a four hour bone shattering slog all the way.
Having said that, don't be put off, just take your time and you'll be fine.
Kooljaman Resort does not accept caravans, but campers, poptops and the like are OK, but not vans.
If you wish to drive your car down the track near the beach at Kooljaman, the charge is $10 a time, don't pay it, just drive on down.
On the way up we stayed at Middle Lagoon for a few days, some powered sites, and don't get fooled in to camping up on the cliff face overlooking the ocean, you'll get blown away.
Next camp was at Goombading on The One Arm Point Rd, 2 powered sites, bit of a rough and ready setup there.
There is really not a lot to do up there unless you have a boat, but some of the scenery is awesome.
C.

gdickie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:30 pm    Post subject: Cape Leveque Reply with quote

Hi All
Thanks for the info. We have been away down the NSW far south coast for a few days, great scenery, so sorry for the delay in responding. Had a couple of solar issues with the BT which need sorting. Ted I will give you a call as we have had a few conflicting stories about CL and would like to get it straight from someone who has been there.
Surfy, Thanks for your info as well. We cant take our tinny as it wont fit on the Rangie.
Thanks
Graham
Luvntravln

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps Steve will pick up on this question and modify the Current Bushtracker Owner to include length.

So, those of you that have done the slog to the Cape, how long are you?

We are going to be 24' + and F-truck.

Thanks,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> TRAVEL LOGS AND BUSHTRACKERS IN ACTION PICTURE GALLERY All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: