WHY MANY WITH FULL SIZED TOW VEHICLES CHOSE 19' OVER 18'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> What SIZE OR TYPE OF BUSHTRACKER?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bushtracker
Site Admin

State:: Queensland
Current Bushtracker owner:: Yes
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:06 pm    Post subject: WHY MANY WITH FULL SIZED TOW VEHICLES CHOSE 19' OVER 18' Reply with quote

These days, our most popular size has shifted, due to some discovered and invented advantages. We no longer think that 18' is the most popular size for full time travel, or long term travel. And if we were building a Show van for the Caravan Displays, for the reasons below we would opt for a 19'... And you may want to think about these advantages...

The largest consideration you will have when you come for a visit, will be the size of the Bushtracker you end up with. Despite what you think before your visit, you always have the possibility of seeing something you like better, and dramatically enough to cause you to change your plans. Of course it can depend on your pocketbook which is none of my business, or the capabilities of your tow vehicle, but there are some instances that could make your plans change when you see in person on a Tour here. Many people change their tow vehicles after seeing the real thing here, and I would like to save you that trouble.

One such dramatic difference, is if you wanted an 18' Island Bed for example. When you are here, you might see the advantages of a 19' layout. I say this, because it sometimes pays to make the visit here before getting set on one certain tow vehicle or one certain size or one certain layout, when you might see something here you like better. Make the Factory Tour first, then decide on tow vehicle and type of layout...OK?

For example (and a significant advantage): We offer a suspension upgrade with the 18' if you are really going to load it up.. And that suspension comes automatically with the 19'.... The 19' will also give you four things in the Island Bed Layout style, that most people seem to really like when they see it:

1) You don't have to dog off the corners of the bed to get around the ends of the bed in the Island Bed layout, you can have a standard square ended bed which most like better...
2) You get a foot more counter space in the galley area, it is not so cramped looking... And gives you a bit of more space between the stove and sink..
3) And you can do the "Cafe Dining" type of dining area better....With face to face seating and a reasonably larger sized table... Where in 18', it would be a bit small and cramped in comparison.

4) And last but not least: You get the 1 tonne larger suspension axles and suspension arms, with a reduced spring pack. It is 50% larger independent arms, and 1 tonne larger axle stubs and bearing.. What this amounts to is a huge reserve if you are run off the road by a Bullock or something into a ditch... With the 18' heavily loaded with the smaller suspension you would be far more likely to damage something, than with the 4 tonne strength suspension arms in the same circumstances, which would be very hard to damage... It is actually 4.4 tonne rated arms and bearings which would give you 1.4 tonne reserves in strength run into a ditch.. OK? Never mind the equipment loaded 19' van might only weigh 2400 or 2450 kg, we have designed a special spring pack for the reduced load... What we are talking about is the reserve strength of the suspension components in severe conditions...

Now look, you can do most of this in 18', I am not trying to talk you into spending your money or getting a larger van than you wanted... What I am doing is showing you an alternative that is in fact in our mind, is a better way of doing it... OK? The truth is, because we include the larger suspension on the 19' and it is only a $650 option on the 18', we make less money on the 19' than the 18'. Really ! I am telling you all of this for your benefit and not ours. But looking after our Customers best interests, is the way we do business and why we are as famous as we are. Not only the best Product, but also taking care of the Customer the right way! I would rather make less money on a 19', than sell you an 18' in that particular Island bed layout. Not just because the layout looks better, but because it is stronger, and works better, and has a better resale. And that is our Reputation..

On the other hand, if you are really going to load up an 18', you can stay in the smaller size and still pay for this suspension upgrade. We do offer it for free at 19', but it is available optionally on an 18'...

Why 18' minimum for most Travelers? It is the first size that there is enough room to get the ensuite out of the front of the van, and into the back between the wheelbox and the Departure Angle... Why does that matter? This allows the bed up into the nosecone, with lockers each side, and a much better aerodynamic rake on the front of the van as you do not walk up there.... We can give this raked back roofline, as there is no need for full headroom in the front in this style of layout, even with a Yacht Berth Queen or Double, or Single Beds, and this aerodynamic rake does affect the fuel economy...

Without this better rake back on the roofline, there would be an ensuing condition of 25% less fuel economy for most tow vehicles, and even worse when bucking a strong headwind. This is the principle design feature that makes most people get a Bushtracker 18' and larger...

But now, you can make the informed choice for yourself. This choice should be made after your visit to the Factory, and before you buy a Tow Vehicle if you are considering the smaller vehicles. This information is based on the best results for you, and success in your travels. Decide on size of van first here, then go get the tow vehicle organized.. Horses for courses you know....

Regards from the Ranger, who knows more about horses and horsepower than most...

Last edited by Bushtracker on Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:27 am; edited 1 time in total
beatit

State:: QLD
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject: Size does matter then? Reply with quote

Thank you Lone Ranger, I am convinced I won't get my goodies into an 18' van anyway but can you tell me if there are any other changes as we move to 20 or 21'.

I am also interested in ballpark weights, yes I know that will depend on what goes in/on the van but as a guide only. I am trying to work out the max van length using a max 3.5 tonnes towing limit.

Kind regards

Theo
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject: SIZE, LUXURY, AND LIFESTYLE Reply with quote

Hello Theo,

We used to say that 18' was adequate... But the advances in layouts and the above advantages now have shifted that up to 19' for the reasons stated.

20' starts a range I would say trends in Luxury. Your tow vehicle will do 3500 kg and you would not have any trouble at even 21'. Unless you went absolutely ridiculous on stuffing gear and toys in, you will not be able to approach your 3500 kg limit. Most 20' vans run out at about 2500 kg. If you go big on Optional Equipment, flat screen TV, four 100 AH Batteries, 4 solar Panels, automatic deploying motorized Satellite Dish and more...? You could be as high a 2650 or 2700. That still leaves you 800-850 kg of payload capacity.. I doubt you would pack in that much in any case..

Now what is the practical difference between 19' and 20'-21' ???
Well, the obvious is Luxury and more in your layout. HOWEVER there is one significant milestone: At 19' we can do a Queen sized width on the bed, but we cannot actually do a Queen sized length do to having to get around the wheelboxes.. That Island Bed length is the only handicapp. With a Yacht Berth or Single beds, not an issue. In 19' we can only do a Double Bed length of 1900mm without moving the suspension back and increasing ball weight or other extreme measures that are not worth the trouble. Full Queen Length requires 20'... If you are over 6', then this is important. If not, then not...

Other than that, it is only Luxury
...... If you are the sort that is living in the van, who cares if you get to Cairns an hour later than a smaller van, if you are living in Luxury for the two weeks you are there. If you are an Opal Miner, running out to get stones then in a hurry to get home, then smaller is better and faster.

Most Clients do not care how long it takes to get there if they are living in Luxury when they arrive. The most common size now is in the 20-21' range, for Luxury and Queen size bed length...

Please feel free to offer more questions, anything you need, as it helps others coming along behind..

Regards from the Ranger
beatit

State:: QLD
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again, you have hit the nail on the head – it is about luxury and who cares how long it takes to get anywhere. We are talking long term travel and don’t feel the need to go without while on the road, but having said that, we still have to be practical. Certainly we are used to a queen size bed width but do not require the length so no problems there. Speaking of luxury we have been agonising on how to fit a lounge and recliner for the same reason. We were thinking that a dinette may be useful to eat in but hardly a comfy lounge to veg away the hours. Have you installed any lounge/recliner combos instead of the dinette? I’ve seen the pickies of the triaxle jobbie but wanted to see if it can be squeezed into something smaller.

Kind regards

Theo
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, from about that 19' and up, but better done in 20'.... Wait until you are in process to purchase ones you like, so you know how much room you have to play with... These kinds of details are best left to the coaching process with the guys that do the Layouts.

Suggest you wait and do it in due course........

Kind Regards, Ranger... Wink
David McDonald

State:: Victoria
Current Bushtracker owner:: No
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:59 am    Post subject: Which van would suit 2Adults & 3 Under 10 Reply with quote

I am looking for advice from people in the know. My wife and l with our 3 girls 8,7 & 5 (presently) plan on purchasing a Bushtracker for a 16 week trip in 2009. I would like some advice on what would be the best option ???
Thankyou
Maca ( Vivtoria)
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maca,
When you are in the Production Schedule, we will give you about three months of Coaching....

One Director raised four kids in a Bushtracker,
And the other (myself) raised three kids...

Judging from what I see in the Business, I do not believe anyone in the Industry in Off-Road vans has done more family plans or family vans than us. Wink

We do more volume in Off-Road, have more equipment, and a higher quality than anyone in Off-Road. To top it all off, both Directors raised families on the road over 11 years of Bushtracker and before Bushtracker.
Look, you get three months of Coaching when you are in the Production sequence, so I would not get too carried away with any plans until then... The truth is, you would change your ideas a bit when you see something in that process you liked better... As the Directors: We raised seven kids traveling like this over the past 15 years, and I do not think anyone else in the Industry would have the level of experience with families on the road that we do. Cool

Now why should I be telling you this? Two reasons, spinning your wheels now will not get the results you can end up with... And secondly and more important we are Booking Deliveries for August 2008 right now. 2009 is not as far away as you might think....

Now what size? If you are going to keep it, or sell it, I would say the minimum size to make a success of it is 19' both for use and resale. I would probably go to the 20-21' with three intersecting bunks like for my family, and separate lockers and drawers for each, and a 7'6 dining area, and one bunk coverting to a lounge with a day use table that drops down for kids work and projects.... My own three Child layout in 21' is nearly ideal and I have built at least a dozen variations on the same plan. It is probably a good place to start..

Regards, from the one that knows, and has done more miles and more vans with a family than just about anyone.... Shocked Wink Ranger
mike

State:: Qld
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,
Liddy and I are looking to upgrade/ update into a 19 footer and are looking for internal lay outs. If anyone has any pictures of the inside of your bushtracker and would like to share your ideas with us it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Mike
Wherrol

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Steve,

Firstly and most importantly hope you are feeling better.

When you feel up to it could you answer this question.

Is it possible to put a door in the front of the van in a 19 ft van?

And...

In a 20 ft van, for the odd caravan park we will be visiting is it hard to find room. Heard rumours that is difficult.

Sharón
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could do it. When cutting and pasting give it a try. Myself I would say no it does not work as you are walking in with the corner of the bed in the middle of the doorway.... Save these kinds of questions for the layout people in progress, that is my advice on the matter.. Wink

As to the 20' in a park? I have never heard that one. Once in a while they would put my larger vans out front in a Big Rig pull through. Everywhere I have gone in Australia 20' or even 21' have not been a problem..

Prime time Holiday season spots in School Holidays? Forget it.... That can be tough if you have not booked ahead in prime holiday spots Laughing Anyway don't think 19-20' an issue.
.. Cool

Last edited by Bushtracker on Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:59 pm; edited 3 times in total
Hkee

State:: WA
Current Bushtracker owner:: Ordered
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

We have just recently placed an order for an18ft family van. We have 2 kids aged 4 and 6 and would like to hear from other families that have the same size van and how they have found traveling in a unit this size.

Regards,
Keesey
Munners

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We bought a 21 foot and REALLY appreciated the extra room - wardrobe, space in particular. But you need a vehicle that can safely tow it - that might preclude you - as at 21 feet fully laden you will be around 3.5t.
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we are freshening an old topic here...
Some 8 years on, and still relative...

I raised 3 children with Bushtracker over 20 years. Being an Owner of the Company, I am a bit priveleged, and my new Bushtracker will be 21'. With no limitations on tow vehicle, for just the Outback I might go larger as the Dodge Cummins Diesel would not know the difference, but my Wife has some structural problems in her neck and most of our traveling now will be coastal. For the coastal caravan parks, about 21' is the limit...

In the immediate future, possibly another DVD trip out west, and again 20-21' starts to be the upper limit for dragging off riverbanks and getting more serious off the beaten tracks in remote areas. If I were raising my 3 Children again, it would still be 20-21'. Our success was them each having their own bunks and lockers. It can be done in 18' especially when they are young, but as they get older you might want more space... Once you get a bit larger, things like fold down craft area tables are really nice...

Me, I am just spoiled I guess, but without tow vehicle or weight restrictions the more the merrier for me. 21' with a very large dining and fridge/freezer, separate loo and shower across the back with a vanity and dressing area, large kitchen area, and yes I could "live a board" quite comfortably. Here in 2015, 20' is still about the most common size. 21' starts to limit you with just how many water tanks and how much you can load up with a Landcruiser, if you really want everything. Most who really want to load it up, are going 20' with those going 21' having to limit some of the extremes...

We will coach you through the process, to get the most out of your layout. There still are some serious advantages breaking into 19', over 18', the most importantant of which is still the larger size of suspension that starts at 19'. Because of that, we probably still make more on an 18' as the suspension costs go up with the larger suspension at no extra charge when you order 19'. For that reason alone, 19' is better value IMO. Wink

Kind regards, Steven Gibbs, Director
Hkee

State:: WA
Current Bushtracker owner:: Ordered
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your comments.

I have been contemplating the upgrade to the 19ft'er for some time now based on the fact that we intend to keep the van for the next 10 years, plus it couldnt hurt to have the additional room although it only be an extra foot it still makes a big difference. We have just come from a 20'6 van so with an east /west bed set up the 19ft would feel of simalar size.

looks like I might have to front the cook for the approval of additional funds maybe even give up the beer.

Regards,
HK
kjgsledge

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing to remember with a BT is that a 19ftr ext is infact 20 ft interior if the bed is elevated into the nose cone
Just a thought
Regards
Kurt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> What SIZE OR TYPE OF BUSHTRACKER? All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: