INTRODUCING THE NEW FULL IMPORT 09-10 FORD SUPER DUTY RANGE
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> Tips on TOW VEHICLES
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bushtracker
Site Admin

State:: Queensland
Current Bushtracker owner:: Yes
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:06 am    Post subject: INTRODUCING THE NEW FULL IMPORT 09-10 FORD SUPER DUTY RANGE Reply with quote

Hello Friends: (This is only for larger vans, or larger loads, gull wing canopies, boats on loaders, biigg loads with all the toys, freezers, gen sets, quad bikes, that sort. Toyota is still Number one for smaller vans without all the extra gear like boats and such...)

The new style Fords, full imports, are the opposite end of the spectrum from the Brazilian assembled Fords. Ford Australia has actually done the wrong thing in my opinion, giving Fords a bad name in Australia, by only importing the bare bones Ford truck with an obsolete transmission from Brazil. Their biggest weakness is the 4R100 Transmission, that has about an 8% failure rate in our experience, hence our advice on running those with synthetic oil and a larger cooler for added service life. The new Full Import Super Duty Ford, is the top end of the range, another type of vehicle altogether, tight turning radius, coil front end, luxury, dual climate control, leather seat heaters and so on... It comes with a 6.4 Twin Turbo, and the 5R110 Transmission that has been out in America since 2003 and is touted to be the best mid sized truck automatic in the world. On Research a couple of years ago, I found Transmission Shops that had never worked on one. I found Performance Shops that had not sent out rebuild kits on them, even though there are twice as many on the road as Chevrolet, GMC, and Dodge. The GM Allison transmission is very good, but the Ford 5R110 is widely accepted as better even when working everyday hauling big commercial loads. This is the REAL Ford, and it is too bad Ford Australia has not moved to import it themselves. I would encourage you to re-evaluate Fords potential, they are still the Number One truck in the world for all serious work. Here is mine, being converted now:

Mine is a King Ranch with the saddle leather interior, bright now but it fades to saddle colour in time..

This is little Big Rig stuff, but there are other styles... Here is mine, Cruise Control, Climate control, stereo controls on the steering wheel...
And a row of gauges, everything, and a Tow Haul Mode...

Many of you are upgrading your older Fords to the new Silverado, and why I am showing you these, is that there are a couple of distinct advantages with these new Fords. One is the monobeam front suspension, that IMO is more robust off-road.

The other attraction is the Ford Super Duty F-Series have a higher GVM. In an F-250, the GVM is 4536 kg vrs the Silverado 2500 HD at 4177 kg. This is an advantage with many of you Bushtracker Owners that are adding gull wing canopies, boat loaders and the lot, that can do it with the higher GVM in a SRW Single Rear Wheel in an F-250. Mind you, the stability of a Dually is a pretty impressive feel, in an loose or wet surface, and there is a safety element to having the duals. But for those of you that cannot live with or park a wider DRW, the high rated GVM SRW (Single Rear Wheel) is just another option for you to consider on the larger vans from about 21'-22' and up, that want to travel with all the toys. The Silverado is a very good car, luxurious ride, but if you slide underneath it says CAR. If you slide underneath the Fords, it says TRUCK. It is horses for courses, and the Silverado reigns supreme for the Town and Country Gentlemen with an emphasis on civilization. The Fords are Super Duty, and if you want to really load one up, gull wing canopy, boat loader, motor in the back, and so on; you have substantially more GVM in the Fords. Also, the monobeam front diff and larger tail shafts and running gear is better if you were going to HOG one up a rocky fossilized creek bed in the Pilbarra in search of the "Motherlode" of gold. They are both great trucks, just the Fords are Super Duty and that is why they are the World's number one for all serious hard work..

Here you can have an SRW in the Ford, in an F-250 with a GVM of 4536, 359 kg more than a 2500 HD Silverado. White Lariat, Alloy wheels, full luxury.. Actually this one is an F-350, still in SRW and has a GVM of 5177, a long ton more than a Silverado 2500 HD but still in SRW

It is a Big Rig look on the front grill, with the whole grill rising up with the bonnet to expose the coolers for cleaning and access...
And this Pueblo Gold F-450 below, has a wider stance in the front, to complement the dually, and a very tight turning radius coil front end.

The new interior and equipment is quite impressive..
Dual Climate controls, large screen navigation and back up camera, quite stylish. The engine dash instruments are a Big Rig style with the dials across the top, and full controls, cruise, climate, stereo, on the steering wheel. These pictures are of mine, a King Ranch, western style. The Lariat and Harley Davidson are similar with a bit of different styling.
Sliding rear windows, sunroofs, indicators in mirrors, climate control, all the bells and whistles are here. Mine happens to be the saddle leather interior or the King Ranch shown here, but there are normal colours and spicy interior styles to choose from. This just happens to be my own choice, being converted right now at VDC in Melbourne.

Mine has 19.5 Big Rig 10 stud Alcoa alloy truck wheels, to get over the large brakes, and a Dually (DRW)... This one is a bit extreme, more truck than most of you would ever need, with a GVM of 6577 kg, and a GCM of 14,968 kg, and massive big brakes with 19.5 wheels, and something really cute I have never seen in this size vehicle: A Dana 110 Diff..I am so much of an Enthusiast about these little Big Rigs, that I am looking into providing Tech support here at Bushtracker with Ford Diagnostics of VCM/IDS (Vehicle Communications Module/ Integrated Diagnostic Scanner) VCM/IDS . I have 760 Posts on the Ford Forum of Research over the last 3 years, have owned two previous King Ranch F-350's, so yes, I am an Enthusiast of these trucks. From Technician reports, there has been little go wrong with the 09-10 6.4 TT, other than maybe stocking a few little sensors which I am investigating now. One Techie says pretty much nothing to stock other than the normal Filters and Belts, another has replaced a couple of EGT (exhaust gas temperature) sensors, and little else. I am considering getting into Tech Support up here for obvious reasons on my own truck, and maybe others, and a bit of a stock list. "Will keep you Posted" Very Happy ...

19.5 Big Rig wheels in the best Alcoa Truck mags.. Over big brakes

Grill lifts up with bonnet, to clean all the air cooled equipment:

This will be my Little Big Rig, for my 7 ton Gooseneck Horsefloat. Biiiig towing jobs. I still have the old trustworth Landcruiser for the smaller van deliveries and so on.. As featured in the Topic in this Category REBIRTH OF THE SUPER CRUISER...

Anyway, the purpose of this Thread is: Before you over capitalize fixing up one of the Brazilian Fords, the new Full Import Super Duty, made in America, is worth considering... OR if you want a Single Rear Wheel because it is easier to park, but want a gull wing canopy, boat and loader, motor in the back and so on... The SRW in a Ford F-250 (the same size vehicle as the Silverado 2500 HD) the F-250 has a GVM 359 kg bigger at 4536... More as we have it...

Footnote: My Mack Dual Cab 4x4 Horse Truck is sold, and the Silverado is sold, and this is an F-450 that is about half way in between with a GVM of 6577 kg and a GCM of 14,963 kg. A bit overkill for most of you Bushtracker Owners, but I have a job for it. A "Little Big Rig" that I can still drive around tow in a luxury format, and to work everyday. It will be here for your inspection in the new year..

On the road with the Ranger...
Wink

Last edited by Bushtracker on Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:37 am; edited 2 times in total
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Friends, this is important... And you need to take this seriously...

Here is another one. This is happening all too frequently. In all fairness, I like all the toys to, and here is a classic on a new Silverado 2500 HD at Bushtracker today... Gull wing canopy, loaded with toys, and boat loader on top.

No bones about it, I would bet 10 to 1 money this rig is illegal and over his GVM (Gross Vehicle Mass or total loaded weight). Now it is not being widely enforced right now, but it is coming as the world financial crisis is forcing Insurance Companies to tighten up. I love the toys, I think this Rig is fantastic, but it could spell financial disaster in an accident. If you are over your GVM, you are an ILLEGAL MOTOR VEHICLE and your Insurance is null and void. In a serious accident, this could be a major financial problem.

It is horses for courses, and if you want to really load one up, you need to consider the tow vehicle limitations. A Silverado 2500 HD has only a 4177 kg GVM. By contrast, a new Full Import F-250 has a GVM of 4536 kg, 359 kg more. A Dually Silverado 3500 HD is 5171 kg GVM. If you need more yet, and do not want a Dually, a Single Rear Wheel F-350 has a GVM of 5171 kg. If you still need more, an F-350 DRW Dually has a GVM of 5905 kg, a whopping 728 kg more than a Silverado Dually. Now why am I emphasising this? Well, no names, but a Silverado 2500 HD in here just a few months with a similar beautiful canopy and boat loader and motor and on and on, was closer to 5 ½ ton. He could not even been Legal with Silverado 3500 HD. He needed this advice before he went through the exercise.

The reasons I am telling you this, is it is PRECISELY why I have gone to the Ford F-450, is the higher GVM and GCM I require to be legal on the road with my big Horse Rig.. My F-450 is still a luxury cab, but it is sitting on a commercial truck chassis with huge running gear. It has a GVM of 6577 kg and a GCM of almost 15 tons. You need to consider the legal aspects of your insurance. The Full Import Fords are a Super Duty, almost the same level of luxury as the Silverado, but much larger tailshafts and running gear and chassis and GVM.

Now I loved driving my Silverados, both of them. But they were more of a luxury car with a ute body by comparison to the Super Duty Fords. Park them next to each other and slide underneath and the difference is obvious, one says car and the other says truck. There is nothing wrong with that, but if you want to really load one up, you either need a Dually in a Silverado, the 3500 HD; or in the case of the extremes of the one pictured above you may need to consider a Full Import Ford as they have a higher GVM in each category. It is all about horses for courses you know...

Here is a SRW Ford Super Duty, with a GVM of 5171 kg, a ton more...

Consider your total package of what you want to load on these. A rig like the Gull Wing canopy and boat loader, loaded up, with motor and boat and toys on board can run well over 5 ton... Heavily loaded and I know of one that went to almost 6 ton. You probably HAVE to at least have a DRW with this rig, and you might need the heavier DRW GVM of the Ford Super Duty as the Silverados end at 5171 kg even with the Dual Rear Wheel 3500 HD. I am here trying to share with you, trying to look after you, with your "Best Interests"in mind, OK?

Kind Regards from the lone Ranger...

Last edited by Bushtracker on Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:39 am; edited 4 times in total
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Per Mick's question on the turning radius of the new Super Duty Ford trucks, here are Independent Reviews from magazines on the new F-450 copied in blue:

To quote one Truck Review: "..... makes for the tightest turning radius in its class, improving maneuverability especially when towing." They quote 51.6 feet which would be around 15.6 meters turning radius.
And another Review: " ....employ a radius-arm suspension setup to locate what Ford calls a "wide-frame monobeam," a very wide solid axle with coil springs. This design not only affords massive load-carrying capacity but also 45 degrees of steering lock."And talking about performance it is now on a par with the Silverado in power: "As a result, the 6.4-liter V8 delivers 350 horsepower at 3,000 rpm and a massive 650 pound-feet of torque at 2,000 rpm. While this is an impressive improvement over the 6.0-liter V8's 325 hp and 570 lb-ft, it merely levels the playing field. Chevy's 6.6-liter Duramax diesel V8 makes 360 ponies and 650 lb-ft of torque."

It has a massisve GCM of 33,000 lbs, 14,963 kg, yet is supposed to be an acceptable ride still, I will report on this, but they changed the design to give massive tow capacity and still a decent ride per: "progressive, multistage rear-leaf springs are 8 inches longer and have been carefully tuned to combine a reasonably comfortable ride with good load-carrying capacity.

It all adds up. The F-450 pickup, sold only with dual rear wheels, can pull up to 24,500 pounds with a gooseneck or fifth-wheel hitch, or 16,000 pounds with a conventional setup. An equivalent F-350 (a leader in towing capacity in its own class) manages 18,800 pounds and 15,000 pounds, respectively. Meanwhile, the F-450 shares the F-350's 6,000-pound payload."

I have talked to people that own them, both here in Australia and in America, and the reports are very impressive. The same Horsepower and torque as a Silverado, but with a more powerfule gear ratio at 430 instead of the Silverado 373, and a massive increase in towing capacity and GVM. You can even go to 488 gears (unnecessary)..

For big towing, it appears the F-450 is in a class of its own, with no peers. I have talked to several that own them and done my research before taking the plunge. Wink

Here is a Review by a Performance Mob, to run the new F-450 150,000 miles towing a heavy 40 foot Fifth Wheel trailer. They went all over America and up to Alaska and back with no mechanical failures. Only one blown wheel/tyre on the Alaska trans Canada road... That is 240,000 kms, through 49 States, 7 Provinces of Canada, Alaska and back, tough run.. Interesting stuff, have a look for free:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vk1ysgy_kL0

F-350 8 stud and brakes .......................... Compared to the F-450 brakes/ running gear/ and 10 stud hub..

This is going to be a pleasure to tow with, running at maybe 70% of capacity with ease.. Regards, stg

If this works out I will be a lucky dog, and have the top most well equipped Bushtracker tow vehicle for smaller vans, my 100 Series, and the top most capable tow vehicle for larger vans and big towing jobs.. Wink Here are both ends of the spectrum colour coordinated.. WHAT A ROAD TEST!! Laughing

............ Awwwww......... Can't I get it before Christmas?............... Puleeeessse?

Last edited by Bushtracker on Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:57 pm; edited 4 times in total
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unbelievable, they tell me I may in fact get it next week!!!

And, the big news is, I am going to be able to offer Tech Support. I am getting a VCM/IDS (Vehicle Communications Module/ Integrated Diagnostic Scanner) VCM/IDS to plug into a standard laptop...

Ford Australia has done the wrong thing by first of all not importing the REAL FORDS that are the worlds Number One in my opinion... And Second of all by being dumb enough not to offer Tech Support. Well...... I am going to do my part to rectify this. Further, I can get parts from American Fleet Service PowerStrokeShop.com in three days by airmail. And American Imports in Melbourne are going to help me stock some common backup parts, (not that there is much to bother carrying according to Owners in America and here in Oz).. I am going to get a crash course on the Diagnostics and back up, but I already have about 800 posts of learning on the Ford Forum and the complete 73 Meg Download of the 6.4 Twin Turbo "Bible" of over 100 pages of diagrams and colour drawings and everything I need. (This is available for free Courtesy of the lone Ranger...)

Here was my truck, finished with Engineering and now being put back together as of about a week ago:

The "Ugly Duckling" is about to become a Swan, a very powerful Swan.. And I love the look of the new dash, big rig stuff...

And now here is something I will really enjoy, a step that comes out of the tailgate, with a handle to step up into the bed.. I will really love that!

Like a little Kid before Christmas!!! So help me, I love that feeling!!! Laughing
Retread

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Steve

I note from your post that the 09-10 Ford Super Duty F250 has a GVM of 4536 kg.

Not sure if this still applies, but in Qld you need a truck licence to drive anything with a RGVM (Registered Gross Vehicle Mass) exceeding 4500 kg.

That is why you see so many small rental trucks with an RGVM of 4495kg.

I was wondering if Qld Dept of Transport would allow you to register one of these new Fords at 4495kg. I expect that this is possible but if not it may be an issue for anyone who is interested in buying one.

Who does the conversions on the F250s

Regards
Retread
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all Retread,
Don't elect me for Transport Minister, Laughing because I think a Medium Rigid License should be mandatory for most People towing, especially over some level like 6 ton GCM (both tow vehicle and trailer). It is good practice, and a good License upgrade, costs nothing to renew, and what it does is instils good habits....

Anyone that can acheive a normal License can get a Medium Rigid, and if they can't they should not be towing on the Highway anyway. Studying, and upgrading skills and habits, like watching your mirrors more, not obstructing traffic, good safety practices and so on, will be imprinted in anyone taking a few lessons and studying the text. My Tips on SAFETY WHEN TOWING points in that Safety Category come from having a Medium Rigid License. Per the Topic: 29 "ON ROAD" TIPS FOR SAFETY WHEN TOWING Anyone that SHOULD be towing, can and should be able to pass the Medium Rigid License. Just my opinion, but it would reduce the roadtoll as most don't understand the basics, safety, loading, GVM, and so on...

NOTE: I am not talking in general about Bushtracker Owners, more some of the road trash and idiots out there on the highway with illegal vehicles and poor driving practices. You know the type. If they had to get a Medium Rigid License and upgrade their vehicles, it would be a plus for us all as they cleaned up their act or got OFF the road... But, as a "Rule of Thumb" it would not do any of you Bushtracker Owners any harm in doing the safety and instruction and getting a MR License. Like I said, don't elect me Transport Minister.. Laughing

Now, further comments on this issue of License upgrade, should be addressed in the Section Tips on SAFETY WHEN TOWING in that Topic 29 "ON ROAD" TIPS FOR SAFETY WHEN TOWING to preserve the context of this Thread and that one..

As to the minor GVM modification to get under our 4500 kg with the F-250, almost ANY truck Mod Engineer will downgrade GVM, it is upgrading GVM that is more difficult. Downgrades are easy.

Contacts for the new Ford Super Duty Full Imports: (You can click on links below)

Stewart Angove
American Performance
378a Barry Road, Coolaroo
Victoria 3048
‘Your Australian F Series Specialists’

www.americanperformance.com.au
Dir: 03 93570226
Fax: 03 93570230
Mob: 0439 357005
email: stewart.a@americanperformance.com.au

Last edited by Bushtracker on Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOOOO HHHOOOOOOOO, yea! It is here, I was up till 10 last night, got a quick 5 hours sleep and then could not stand it any more and got up at 3 am... Rolling Eyes Yea, confirmed Rig Junkie !! Thought some of you might like a little report and pictures...

This is the quietest, nicest, best looking truck I have driven. It feels firm and not "car" like the Silverado, it feels stronger and firmer more like a sport vehicle in a truck...

In person, the interior is stunning, and is more like a Big Rig than a car.. You are welcome to come have a look, in front of Bushtracker...

The back up camera, has a 3D feel with ranges in the colour rails green yellow and red. It also is a touch screen phone book and other functions, touch screen for stereo controls, a juke box for downloading your CDs into, and besides touch screen it is also Voice Activated Commands.. Like "CD... Play" and the on board multifunctional screen becomes stereo controls... Amazing technology, touch screen and voice activated at the same time.. Below it is the Dual Climate controls.

Power and Power Telescoping mirrors, for towing...

And what I have wanted for years, Power Folding for the scrub or tight parking... Wink

And here is another one I will really use, a fold out step from the tailgate, and a locking up or down hand rail for getting in and out of the bed.. This is really strong gear, the tailgate has twice the lift mechanism of Silverados, and it has three horizontal rails plus structure inside where the lightly built Silverado had one rail and was all hollow. It is solid work grade gear, and luxury combined...

Keyless Entry, and lock, and programmer to change things if you like...

And the nicest Factory side step I have seen, very large, tubular, strong, and good looking...

19.5" Big Rig Alcoa Classic Alloy Wheels, and Rig size in 10 stud ! And just for fun, Continental tyres that have 4 layers of steel in the sidewalls as well as under the tread. A load rating out of this world, and so much steel and so thick I doubt I will ever get a flat! Laughing

These are really big wheels, but put them inperspective to what is behind them: They have to be that big of wheel to get over these MASSIVE brakes!

Then, the brakes and wheels look tiny when you look at the absolutely huge Dana 110 Diff. Shocked Surprised

And THIS is an off-road 4x4 front end, MASSIVE by comparison.....

And these are massive front axle control arms, nothing compares with this gear... And a solid crash pan under the high center point on the transfer case. And interestingly, the chassis is powder coated "electro-coat" almost like thick black anodised.. Anywhere you look at it: This is Bush Gear, not a city vehicle..!! Laughing

And Ford must have liked my invention of checker plate on the mud flaps, eh? Laughing And, a cool looking exhaust, very cool... Cool

This is the top of the line, Mid Size Truck in strength under, Luxury on top....

I would urge anyone in the market, to have a look at this new Super Duty range of full import Effies. The difference is night and day. The Silverado had them beat with a few comfort toys, and Ford has thrown them in too. On this new range they have added the nice luxury items like dual climate controls, and then added even more, power telescoping and folding mirrors, touch screen and voice activated, and CD downloading songs into a "Jukebox"... Things like that on top of absolutely massively strong running gear and practical use items. This is an impressive BEAST to look at, any inspection will be impressed. Tight turning radius, wonderful dash and appointments, massive front end, looks and power.

I also now have the VCM/IDS (Vehicle Communications Module/ Integrated Diagnostic Scanner) VCM/IDS loaded in my Bushtracker laptop... I ask for backup parts and got a large box: Filters, belts, and the only part they thought I might stock is one little exhaust sensor that they have replaced two of, on 80 of these new 6.4 Twin Turbo Super Duty full import trucks... Cool, very cool...

The lone Ranger has a new Mistress... Laughing

But all jokes aside, if you are one of those that wants to really load up your "Vacation Home" on wheels, freezer, boat, loader, gull wing canopy, tools, toys, motor, generator, you know "the lot"... It is the Super Duty range of Fords that have the capacity. Now the same power, same luxury as a Silverado, but bigger gear and GVM and certainly a tougher truck...!

Bushtracker Owners are welcome to come have a look... Wink

Last edited by Bushtracker on Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, surprise -surprise,
up at 3:00 AM Friday....
Slept in Saturday, and didn't get up til 3:30 am... Laughing Laughing Yea, yea, Rig Junkie...

There are some really convenient utility features I really appreciate, and this may seem silly and I have not even loaded them yet (but will).. The over and under rows of pockets in the front side doors to the utility pocket on the rear doors are really appealing from a user friendly stand...

To the bonnet lifting with the grill to make it easier to clean cooling system bugs out of the radiators and intercoolers...

To the simple little utility things like tool trays that fold out under the back seats, and room along the chassis for more gear, in this case a third battery to run Anderson Plug gear, fridge, and the rest...

These things are very "User Friendly", but there is one standout I had not anticipated in any way....

Took the first long haul on the highway (Saturday 13/12/09), now 2200 kms on the clock, will do a first oil change to clean out build gunk... Here is the feel: Yes it has the Silverado luxury, even a few more toys, touch screen, jukebox, voice recognition, blah.... blah... blah... Laughing Here is the good bit: This Baby feels Safer to drive at high speeds even in the rain on a slick road!! How? Shocked

The Dually resists any lateral movement or breaking loose or sway, but I have never driven one with this 100mm wider front end on each side.. The Dually resists side movement on the back to rolling over or sway, it has the big 00---00 shape. Well these big front 20" 10 stud wheels and big tyres out 100mm each side of the front makes a BIIIIIG difference I really had not anticipated. You feel wider, you ARE WIDER in the steering, and I had no way really to guess it would make that big of a difference. You feel it would almost be impossible to roll, the only way I can describe it is you feel more control on the front end... Like the Dually increase in control to the back end.

Here in this picture you can see the wider stance in the front, it almost fills the center of the dually in the back...

This is an impressive discovery I had not anticipated. That 100 mm wider "front end" greatly increased stability and control.. Now that is important for safety but also the tight turning radius got me through a tight MacDonalds Drive through car sized right angle turns to get a 6:00 coffee and bacon egg roll... The wide stance give an extremely tight turn and feel of security on the highway. In the rain changing lanes, it felt "Dually Back, Dually Front" in feel, is the best way I can describe it.

At Bushtracker on Saturday we are fitted the 33,000 lb chassis cross members for the 3" ball that rolls over to go flat (pull out 5 kg of steel and turn it over and lock the pin...) I will put pictures on if you like..

No moss grows under the lone Rangers feet.. Laughing

By the bye, in 09 Chevrolet and GMC have quit making the mid sized trucks in this class, no Kodiak, nothing. I doubt they will return, as they are just out classed everywhere you look. I am probably back to Ford for good...

And for good reasons... Wink

Last edited by Bushtracker on Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:36 pm; edited 4 times in total
Rob and San

State:: Qld
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:03 am    Post subject: Silverado as Tow Vehicle Reply with quote

Hi Steve,

Have we purchased the wrong vehicle?

A couple of months ago we purchased a Silverado. It is a wonderful vehicle to drive. (And that is saying a lot from someone who has owned 7 Landcruisers from 1980 on!)

Reading your posts here makes me feel that you no longer consider the Silverado a good choice, or am reading too much into your comments?

Best regards

Rob

PS.
Wishing everyone at Bushtracker a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Rob and San,

Absolutely not, be happy with what is probably the best choice for you. The Silverado is a lovely luxury car and alternative to the 200 Series luxury car, only it has far safer and better capability for those that can live with the extra size and expense. As you know, it is a lovely thing to drive. You have done the right thing, but look at how you are using it:

Yours vrs a potentially overloaded one

Yours is a modest fibreglass canopy, and you are within your GVM. If you wanted a larger metal canopy, and the rest like this above then I would have to say yes you had the wrong vehicle, over your GVM.... You do not need the larger GVM capability. If the Dealer carried both vehicles, you could have sat in either and bought the one that you liked the look and feel of the best. In the new F-250 Super Duty, and the Silverado 2500 HD, they both have about the same level of luxury now, so in this size it is only a personal taste issue of which might be better from that standpoint...

My Post and Thread emphasis: Is for the people that want to really load one up, gull wing canopy, boat, motor, tools, toys, loader, and the rest, as if they do this to a 2500 HD or a Brazilian built F-250 for that matter, and are over their GVM, they risk their financial well being in an accident. This is about the Illegal Motor Vehicle that VOIDS your Insurance when you need it the most. I am emphasizing the Fords because they have the higher GVM rating in each Class of truck, for those that NEED it...

Just like me! This is precisely why I have moved to the new Ford Super Duty after a couple of years of research on the new 6.4 Twin Turbo PSD engine: It is horses for courses..

Chevrolet/GMC does not even make one, with the mid size truck capability like mine anymore. And why I am showing it to you Owners for the very same reason, the F-350 SRW (Single Rear Wheel) has a massive GVM, and a Dually with the "Tow Boss" option that goes all the way to 5900 kg; if you want to load one up. Same luxury, same quiet, but instead of a luxury cab on a car chassis, it is a luxury cab on a more of a truck chassis. In my case a luxury cab on a BIG Mid Sized Truck Chassis... I can say these things not from opinion, but study, as I OWN a 200 Series, and have owned and done serious R&D on two Silverados, a 2500 HD and 3500 HD Dually.

I have only re-discovered the luxury upgrade to the larger GVM Ford Super Duty range of trucks out of necessity, and that is why I share with you. You do not need more, so enjoy your luxury car as you are. If you were hogging up a fossilized creek bed in search of the "Motherload" of gold or something extreme rock climbing, I would have directed you more toward the monobeam solid axle front much heavier duty front drive end, of the Fords. But this is not what you are doing with it, so enjoy the ride in luxury...

It is beautiful, and white is right IMO for easy maintenance and heat and AC, all around easy to maintain.... Enjoy it! It is a lovely luxury car. It is just that some People need more capability. OK with that now?

I wish the Ford Dealer were close, for ease, for maintenance, for diagnotics or what ever. But they are not, and that is why I have opted to go for a complete Diagnostics System myself here at Bushtracker in the VCM/IDS (Vehicle Communications Module/ Integrated Diagnostic Scanner) VCM/IDS to plug into a standard laptop. With that, everything is just Air Mail away. As a matter of fact, I did my last Silverado Service across the Street at Suncoast Diesel, rather than drive the 45 minutes to Gympie, so I don't really see a difference that way.

Either one are fine vehicles, just get the one that suits your needs, or you like the best if you have modest payload requirements.. A heavier GVM will give a firmer ride if you are not using the capability. You have made the right choice for your needs. Wink

Last edited by Bushtracker on Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:38 pm; edited 8 times in total
Rob and San

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:11 pm    Post subject: Silverado as Tow Vehicle Reply with quote

Thanks Steve,

That puts our minds more at ease.

Just my misinterpritation of your always sound advice.

Best regards

Rob
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Friends,
I think I get the biggest Christmas Present.
This is the first F-450 Registered in Qld.. !!!
Unless you count the last couple of Bushtrackers Delivered the week before Christmas.. Laughing

My Thanks to the good People at VDC and American Performance for the huge effort to get it to me before Christmas so we could install the hitch and air brakes over the Break as the NRHA season starts soon.. Thank you ! Your Service, quality, and Delivery, are all outstanding.

Now after about 3500 kms of discovery, to tell you the truth I continue to be impressed with this level of quality and performance in this truck. I share with you for your best interests, so if any of you are in the market for such a vehicle you will be motivated to do your own research and see for yourself why these are the Worlds number one truck, in the Super Duty F-Series. There is a simple strength, that you can feel when driving this vehicle... Starting with the front end, there is no reinforcing needed here.

This is heavy duty gear.. And I think it rides better than my two F-350s, and my Wife with the bone spur in her neck says on a 200 km jaunt that She thought it road better than the 3500 HD Silverado, even though it can carry 1.5 ton more and tow almost 4 ton more... Might be the longer leaf springs in the rear.. Anyway, this is big gear, even in the front end.

It is comfortable, but soon you discover the refinements in all the Lariat Series like "Traction Control" to help you keep traction in snow, ice, and mud. It was discovered... he he... Upper right hand button by the "Shift on the Fly 4x4 button, it says TCS... TCS? I broke down and found it in the Manual "Traction Control System", and it slows the speed of the take up in 4x4 so your tyres don't slip/spin and break traction in slick conditions..

Then, as well as Power out, power mirrors, power folding against the cab, I was lamenting loss of the heated mirrors for the fog up in bad weather. And there they are Heated as well, at the push of another button so they do not fog up. The button was lost in the Climate Controls.. There in the lower right, below the defrost.. (Defrost is very valuable in Queensland.. .Laughing But the heated mirrors are a big plus. "Power folding" is very handy in tight parking and brush work as well. Anyway I missed both the Traction Control and Heated Mirrors Topics in the Manual.

Another Great option is the "Upfitter Switches" , lit when on, big toggle switches with their own power relays already in place and built in for any added accessories. They are ignition switched, on or accessory, light up in use, and come with 2 - 15 amp and 2 - 30 amp circuits. Great gear, the four large toggles at the bottom of mid dash controls:

And the clearance Dually lights on top of the cab, they are in 5 watt globes with the "Old School streamlined lens cover like the Big Rigs. Now you can say that is not modern, but it is more functional than the Silverado LEDs. Why? The LED only face forward, where these cab running lights are much bigger AND visible from behind to those overtaking you. Also, these plug in spade lights are about 50 cents. I like running them most of the time for safety, and the fancy LEDs on my Silverado burned out, at $132 each, sealed units in their surrounding housing. They were non-repairable sealed units, that only faced forward. I like this style better. Yes this style is "Old School" Big Rig stuff, and I think it is more User Friendly, but in this case also safer as seen from the rear as well. Wink This has all been a process of "Discovery", but it is significant to me.

I did not appreciate some things until I used them and lived with them, like the step up into the bed.. Now I don't know how I lived without it Laughing

I am just about moved into this truck, having successfully mated the larger Mack with the smaller Silverado, into one midsized capability with all the luxury and comfort things to make it ultimately functional.. Double door pockets in the front, and large pockets in the back. I know it seems silly, but it is function everywhere you use it.

Luxury and power, now getting air brakes and controls in this well in the bed, that will have a lid later. This is luxury AND function, a league of its own.. Sort of like Bushtracker Wink

Now, while I am rambling on Christmas Eve, here is a Safety Tip if any of you get a Dually.... Re torque the Dual wheels at somewhere early when new or after a wheel change, sort of 500 kms. In this case, I did it at about 2600 kms which is a bit late. They DO settle in and need to be re torqued in the Dually. In this case, all ten studs.. Averaged about 1/2 to 3/4 turn by hand Shocked And these are not plastic wheel covers like you get on the Silverado Dually, these are proper Big Rig alloy truck wheels, 19.5" not for show but to get over the huge brakes. Wink

All of these features and more are in the new Lariat Super Duty. Like there are three remotes built into the sunvisor to copy the signal of your garage or gate remote, and much more. Mine is a King Ranch, which is only a $3000 upgrade for super soft saddle leather seats and the horseman style trim in two tone. In the Lariat, there are are a full range of all the other styles and colours:

Only Dodge and Ford make this range of truck, and not only is Dodge very rare but a crawl under and around and you soon find the Ford is bigger in all the truck gear, and more solid in the body and interior and transmission. I am probably back to Ford for good. I do most of the R&D for Bushtracker, and have owned two Silverado cars, and this is just tougher gear if you want to load one up. Legals are important and can ruin you in a bad accident if you are over your GVM as you are an illegal motor vehicle and NO INSURANCE. I cannot stress this enough with what I see rolling into Bushtracker. But beyond that GVM issue, this is just better built gear everywhere you look at it, better running gear, body, chassis, front end, interior, all over. That is why the Super Duty is the worlds Number One truck, and sells more than Chevrolet and Dodge combined.

Looking ahead, new 6.7 Ford motor is the all the talk, and it will be infront of a 6R140 six speed transmission. It will be out in 2010, but I will let the bugs get worked out of it on the road for 12 months first... I will only consider changing trucks then in 2011, if the new one proves to be better, is affordable with the A$, and I like the look of it. I might not, because this one runs so nice like a fine watch. I could stop right here. My R&D to combine the small luxury with larger capability has come to fruition..
Anyway, Merry Christmas One and All... !

I am thrilled, like a little kid in the sandbox with my new Big Rig.. VROOOM, VROOOM ! I Thank the Lord, we can still be like little Children, and get such fun out of our toys... !!! Wink
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those of you following my truck R&D with some of the luxury trucks I have owned in the past years, have seen me go through quite a few. In all fairness, some of that was R&D for you, but I was also trying to find a happy medium for myself...

I even tried a little luxury truck, the Silverado 2500 HD, colour matched to the Mack. When the Girls quit traveling so much with me due to higher education, I could not use the horse truck concept as it was dangerous to load them lone Ranger so I had to go to a Gooseneck with a large rear ramp. The little 2500 HD was a perfect little Town and Country luxury car, but having two expensive trucks, insurance and on road fees started to wear on me. It was just not cost effective.

The next part of the story is I moved back to the Dually concept to tow a big GooseNeck. I have had a couple of Dual Rear Wheel vehicles, and to cut the story short and to the chase? Of all the vehicles I have had in the past 20 years, this F-450 is by for the nicest and most luxurious vehicle I have owned. This is without a doubt...

It is not so much the toys, the touch screen stereo combo, juke box that stores songs, all the integrated stereo voice activated stuff with the phone systems built in with directory and the lot... It is not the toys of power extending heated and folding mirrors and toys like that.... It is actually the running gear, firm feel ride, and the wider stance and tight turning radius.

And by the way "Niknoff" Mick: That is not actually a 15M radius in the sense of that. That is an outside to outside turn, more of a diameter. I can actually turn in one gate of Bushtracker, U turn, and go out the other. Starting with one turning lane, I can U turn over the fast lane in the other direction, directly to the slow lane. I mean it is cool, big truck, big capability, and you only skip over one lane in a U turn. It is like driving a Landcruiser around only I could carry one in the back with my GVM, and tow 4 more... Laughing Laughing

Every one likes the looks of 20" wheels, they don't know it is not for style but MASSIVE brakes. The rear diff (Dana 110) runs on synthetic, and is probably a million mile diff, oil changes are long, like over 100,000 from memory. This whole truck breaks new ground, not just in looks, and in toys, but in suspension, wider front end, tighter turning radius, and a great feeling of control on the highway.

And the clearance lights are "Old School", you can see them overtaking as well as approaching. It is all surprises in quality, from an extremely functional standpoint. A luxury cab, on mid sized truck capability and chassis.

Hard to miss at night... Laughing You get more respect on the road than with any other truck this size Laughing Cool

I towed a couple of Bushtrackers up to the weigh bridge, they weren't even there in the Tow-Haul mode. Laughing

Anyway, it is nice having a truck with more luxury than any others, and trememdous capability like this. I have ordered a Spartan Tuner, and DashDAQ (digital EGT Exhaust Gas Temp, and anything else you want to display in a gauge format) and the best tune for towing is Spartan 210 Tow according to the Forum and Spartan. They say the transmission is so solid the 200 Horse Power more does not bother it. So I will be running around at about 560 Horsepower.... Shocked They claim if you keep your foot out of it and don't use the extra HP, that it delivers about 30-40% better fuel economy. We will see... I will post results and pictures.

Now one more discovery for now: All the 6.4 Twin Turbo Fords now have all the sensors already in place to monitor what ever you want. EGT, Trans Temp, anything. This new DashDAQ just plugs into the OBDII port, utilizes the sensors already on the engine, and can display what ever extra info you want in almost any format...

You can select any kind of readout, in any format, for the critical things like driving to a maximum EGT level on a long uphill grade..

It is designed to fit, here in my truck, above the right hand AC outlet on top of the dash, a digital screen that fills that area, programmed to your own custom read out... And what is most cool Cool is all the sensors are already IN the 6.4 TT PSD engine!

Alright, I will quit, I am probably boring you if you are not a Rig Junkie like me. But this new technology is incredible, and so is an engine and transmission that can take a 210 Horsepower Boost with no mods and still tow with it!! Wink

Regards, Steven Gibbs, aka on the road with the Ranger.. Laughing
Loki of Condor

State:: WA
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, it is really interesting how many companies are latching on to the OBD2 port and its data.

A lot of us have a Scangauge which provides the info but in a very basic rudimentary form, not like your display at all.

I see now that an accessory for the latest Garmin GPS street navigators can plug in to the OBD2 port and, I assume via Bluetooth, transmit the data to the GPS display.

See more info in this link:

http://garmin.blogs.com/my_weblog/2010/01/ecoroute-hd-transforms-your-nuvi-into-a-realtime-diagnostics-computer.html

cheers

The really interesting thing is that NONE of this technology would be available to us if that UFO hadn't crashed in Roswell New Mexico in 1947. It all stems from that you know. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loki, and other Bushtracker Owners,
Progress marches on, and here is something new on the electronic engines: I am softening my stand on the electronic engine management systems. There are two things that now make it more managable if you utilize the following:

1) The advent of easy to use OBDII scanners and code readers, that will tell you what is wrong.. You can have a part flown in or check the electrical connections on that part which is a most common fix... Anyway, the scanner and Code Reader makes the system more manageable in remote conditions... IF

2) You do your research and carry a few common little parts. In my new Ford 6.4 Twin Turbo, a common thing to play up is the EGT sensor (there are several) at the end of the DPF.. On some vehicles is just burns out or melts the wiring to ground. Sooooooo, I have done my research, just like on the 7.3 Brazilian Ford where you carry a CPS.. On this 6.4 out of the last 85 trucks, 2 have been replaced so I carry a spare post exhaust EGT probe... Duh... And I have an extra for any of you people that talk nice to me... Laughing

Now Loki, you are a Techo Whiz, but for your benefit and that of the other Owners, you may be over looking a major value of something like the Spartan display: It is not a toy. Yes it can read and clear codes and that is the most important, but there is something else. When you hop up a twin turbo diesel with a program, you can run it too hot of exhaust gas on a long hill and damage your Turbo... It is called monitoring the EGT with a probe, and you run to the Exhaust Gas Temperature maximum that you can run without damage. On my 6.4 TT PSD International Diesel, that is about 1250-1300 degrees F. You get there EASY with a big load on a long grade. Especially when I add 210 HP like I am going to do for fuel economy because this engine and transmission are so strong. You either run to a MAXIMUM or you run a Tuner like Spartan, that will DEFUEL at around 1200 degree Fahrenheit. If not, you need to watch the gauge and let up on the go pedal on a long grade, OR, you will be buying a new turbo... Or worse...

I do not know if your Scangauge will monitor EGTs. The beauty on the Ford is all the Probes are in place already for the EGT monitor. If not on the 200 Series, if you are going to tune it, you have to put in a probe to protect it.

Note: The probe has to go in the UP PIPE to the Turbo, not after it... Idea Shocked To properly protect it... There is an art to putting in the probe, do not do it without research, magnet, and so on, tricks.. Loki, there are three things in a display you want, EGTs, EGTs and EGTs... Laughing Just kidding, transmission temperature and engine coolant are good to..

Anyway this engine is strong, there is a 710 HP one, a truck, turning a 10.66 and 127 mile per hour in the 1/4 mile... That is dead stop to over 200 kph in about 450 metres. Shocked Shocked It is on U-Tube, something like "fastest 6.4 on earth" where he show four runs and the dragstrip time clock.. That is mooooooving..[/i][/b]
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, "On the Road Again", and it feels good. Where the Silverado 3500 HD was running a bit overloaded and marginally illegal as they have a lighter GVM, it used to "Buck" a bit. This F-450 is running at about 60%-70% of capacity and capability. I guess I am home. The past few years of vehicle R&D has combined the MACK and Silverado, into a full luxury vehicle that can also haul...

Remember, when you add a custom hitch, or a canopy, or Air Brakes like this, you need the Engineering Certification and the Modification Plate affixed to the Cab. This goes for a dual wheel conversion or any serious modifications for that matter.

In to Bushtracker today, for a new Power Downleg. The power mirrors are very much appreciated, here shown is the extended position.

This is all done, by the Grace of the Lord, just in time for the NRHA Season...
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This Rig is now Tuned and loaded and ready to go. The first longer range road trip will be this weekend.

Now back to GVM, here is the difficulty, I loaded everything I could think of that I might want to Service equipment on my property or go away long haul: Tool set out the end of the stainless box in slide out trays, another tool set in the other box to lift out to a project, a battery drill, a big metal selection box of all kinds of screws and nuts and bolts, air tools, power tools, jumper leads, bolt cutters, fridge/freezer, 240 litre auto shut off fuel bowser, on and on and you get the idea... Rolling Eyes

I put Her across the weigh bridge this morning, and I am way up on my GVM with the Gooseneck hooked up. With the down load of the Gooseneck of 1.5 tons when there are no horses in the back it came out at 6800 kg!!! Shocked Now horses in the back will lighten that to make me legal as most of the weight will be back of the axle, however: I am still technically illegal and I have unloaded some tools to get back to my limits of 6557 when the gooseneck is empty. My GVM will be lighter with the horses on board as the down load on the truck is lifted. And I am well below my GCM of 14,963 kg, but it pays to run over a weighbridge now and then Wink

The DashDAQ is now loaded, and I am running 560 Horsepower, the "Tow Performance" Tune. You are supposed to keep your foot out of it for good mileage and not burning tyres up... Laughing So I will. Wink This Super Duty Ford transmission is so strong, the 5R110, takes the 210 HP extra without any problems and without any transmission modifications. Be careful playing with the Allison in the Chevrolets by comparison, as they do not like more than 50 HP some say 90 empty but, no more than 50 in heavy towing without Tranmission Shift kits. In the Super Duty Fords there are reports of the 210 Tow Performance tunes with Professionals towing equipment that have 80,000-135,000 miles on them with no problems.

The DashDAQ and SPARTAN tuner are quite flexible. Mine has been altered by the Order so it will ONLY go to the Transmission Safe tune levels of 210 Tow Performance. Here is what it looks like, I is on a big suction cup as I have not decided where to mount it yet. I will make a 150km run tonight to a horse arena in the dark and decide if it is distracting in this location and has to go to the floor.

Here is how mine is set: DashDAQ on top, Screen to monitor horses on the floor, Air Brake Panic Joy stick to the right near my left knee. Mind you would only use the panic stick if the Gooseneck was drifting on gravel or ice on a curve to snap it back behind you... It puts on just the Air Brakes on the GooseNeck alone to keep you from a jack knife situation.

It is a bit full of the suns glare, anyway down at the bottom of it you can see scroll buttons, and you have a variety of data you can display, three gauges at once or blocks of data from about 20 choices... EGT is the most important. I will be running over 12 ton this weekend with four horses on board, so I can pull a long grade with half throttle with 560 HP, but I have to run to a maximum EGT. You can run to a gauge or alarms, but the SPARTAN will de-fuel the program if you run to hot anyway.

I will get better pictures up... But here is why you can run such big gear, the smaller brakes are in the front and they STILL look to near fill the 20" truck wheel. Also this Super Duty has a very tight turning radius even more than shown here behind the front wheel, and here is the gauge read out I have selected to use so far:

Interestingly, I put it across a weigh bridge and it came up to 10.68 tons without horses aboard. That is what the Silverado 3500 HD was running with two horses aboard as I am carrying more gear and generator and so on... The F-450 first test on fuel economy just beat the Silverado 3500 HD Dually, at 21 litres per 100 and the F-450 is not hardly run in yet... That was even with some city driving back and forth to work. Further test coming, but so far it has more power, better ride, more control in steering, tighter turn radius, more GVM, over 4 ton more GCM, and it gets better fuel economy..
Now that is a win-win-win... !

Cheers, "On the Road Again"...............
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super Duty, has now become SUPER DUTY... Laughing

The latest? Since I already have a large air compressor built into the system, with a larger tank, air tools, and hydraulic over Air Brakes, I have also added an Air Suspension over...

Why? With an F-450? Well, I am putting a long ton of equipment on board, and adding a ton and a half of Gooseneck, and it is nice to be able to adjust the ride and height of suspension. Further, in the front, I am adding an extended bumper, Roo Bar nudge bar style, and a winch.. Here is what the front air bags look like, and note the massive front 4x4 strength truck grade not the car front end like in my Silverado:

This is to compensate for the Bull bar, extended bumper, and winch I am adding in the front...

In the rear end, this is big gear, but keep in mind it can tow 10 ton LEGALLY... :

Now to put this in perspective, with the largest Diff in its class, and this big air bag over system, it looks a bit like a Peterbuilt in the back... Laughing Laughing Wink

Here are the air controls, air lines and wiring exposed for your viewing, and lit at night. It is individual air controls for rear Air Bags (red needle and one paddle wheel) and front Air Bags, black needle and the other control paddle switch for air.. That way you can adjust on the fly to suit road conditions. I had this many years ago with my blue Brazilian Built F-250 ... Air Brakes on left, Air Suspension forward on right:

Controls lit at night of course:

This gives you massive towing capacity, top of its class, a towing capacity of 10 tons and Air Brakes... And an adjustable air ride suspension.... And you can boost the ground clearance if a few inches more is needed..

Now I am not having a skite, I don't need to. This is about showing you what the top of the line really is and why. The Silverado is a luxury car, like the 200 Series Landcruiser, both have their place. But if you want more, the Super Duty Fords ARE the real top of the line, and will do what ever you want in the same level of luxury only with more User Friendly Towing gear and capacity.

Those of you wanting large gull wing canopies loaded with everything imaginable (some even have fold out kitchens on board), if you want a boat on top, if you want slide out drawers and tools and extra fuel and water and the rest...? Get the horses for the courses, and where my Silverado lets off, the Super Duty Fords just really get going. I believe the F-350 Single Rear Wheel has almost the same capacity as the Silverado Dual rear wheel of mine had.

It is horses for courses you know... Why so big? I am up on the top end, slide out BBQ, 6 kva Diesel genset, 21' Bushtracker Accommodations and two tonnes of horses and ton of water and tack on board. Rolling Eyes I am pulling this Air Braked Rig, my Mack used to do, but still with a full luxury compact truck I can drive to work, out to dinner, every day.... Here shown behind the Mack, and then behind my "witto big twuck" (before the air bag suspension was added).

I am just showing you what is possible with a luxury vehicle... Cheers
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Bushtracker Owners and those soon to be....
American Performance has just written me:
Just another quick one for you.

We have just come to an agreement with the NRMA to provide a full 'Premium' 24/7 roadside assistance package on our trucks.They are the only ones in the country to offer this service on vehicles that have the GVM & Size etc that our trucks have.It is Australia & Tasmania wide.

We will be including this from this week on all our trucks and it runs for 3 years with the option for the customer to extend it once the 3 year period has expired.The name of the package we are including is BusinessWise Light Commercial Absolute, I have attached some info for you to
read thru.

Regards...

Stewart Angove
American Performance
378a Barry Road, Coolaroo
Victoria 3048
‘Your Australian F Series Specialists’

www.americanperformance.com.au
Dir: 03 93570226
Fax: 03 93570230
Mob: 0439 357005

Monday I will try and put up a Link to the NRMA Pamphlet, but this really good, roadside assistance for the Fords. As it is they back up their Product and are willing to fly out a Specialist or work with a Local Shop it there is a problem, but this goes that one step futher...

Right now I am getting ready to be on the road with horses to an event, loading at about 4:30 AM... Yea, you know I am crazy, but I would not trust my horses with anything less than the capabilities of my F-450 Super Duty. Per the information in the previous Posts, this vehicle fills the gap with my Mack (now gone) and is the most capable 4x4 tow vehicle I have ever driven. Really, I don't sell them, I don't get a commission, this is just how it is...

Cheers, and on the road with the Ranger
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Friends,

Two subjects: Air bag suspension GVM increase, and Offset Bars for the Super Duty.

I hear a half dozen have ordered the new Full Import Super Duty Fords, and possibly another half dozen have indicated your intentions. While there is nothing wrong with the Silverado luxury car but: If you are going for big canopy, loaded up, boat on top or camping set up in a gull wing canopy, the Fords are just the same luxury but in a truck with larger capabilities. If you still like the Silverado, you need to think of it more as a luxury car, and so make sure you stay within the lighter GVM of them. As many as half of the Bushtracker Owners with Silverados are illegal and over their GVM and need to rectify this for their own benefit. The Super Duty Fords, even admitted on the Silverado Duramax Forum, have more capability.

Chevrolet do not even make a vehicle like the Super Duty.. With the Air Bag addition, my GVM has been upgraded to 7500 kg from 6577. That is almost 2.5 tons more than my Silverado 3500 HD could do. My GCM is 15 tons, over 4 tons more. Mind you it has the same luxury appointments as my both my 2008 and 2009 Silverados did, and my Wife even claims the ride is better... This is not about your personal choice, more about the capabilities of the vehicles: Get the horses for courses.

Now one more thing, if you do upgrade your GVM (probably not needed with the new F-350 Single Rear Wheel Super Duty) but if you do try and fix up a Silverado to be legal or need to upgrade the GVM: MAKE SURE you do the Legals and get the Modification Plate affixed.. Get the tentative approvals before you do the upgrades. I have it for the extremes of 1 Ton in the bed all the time in tools and slide out drawers in the back of the boxes, and air compressor, and all the toys plus 1 1/2 Ton more of Gooseneck down loaded on it.... Make sure you get an Engineering Approval. Here is the first one in Australia, upgraded to 7.5 Ton GVM, Mod Plate ready to go on, so I can carry extra fuel, fridge, tools, the lot..

Look, I hold the record, no one is going to travel with so much so you certainly do not need the F-450. But I on the other hand travel the heaviest with up to 4 horses on board as well... This is 7-8 tons of 31' Gooseneck (with horses on board) with bus cargo bays underneath, and it does is without stress and with 30% more capacity yet...

Here is a more appropriate perspective, this IS a little Big Rig...

I have also added a massively built nudge bar soon to become full cage bullbar:

Those of you with the new Super Duty Fords, will have to have the Nudge Bar or Bull Bar offset to the front. I want to preserve the cooling system to a big roo hit, I don't mind losing the headlight module or minor body damage, but the major cooling systems in the front I do want to protect. This unfinished Bull Bar, has 50mm x 12mm solid bar stock across the front, and is reinforced internally with 20 mm heavy bar stock slipped up inside and plug welded in place. This will survive a major roo hit. Wink

Off set, so grill can open with the bonnet to clean of insects and such like a Big Rig.

Search "Locust" to find my further invention of a snap on screen behind the Bar, to keep the concrete Locust glue out of the cooling system. It is in the General Discussion area..

Here is one of my other Babies, same colours as the F-450, white and chestnut, in training is a full blown sliding stop..

Enjoy your Horses...
Under the bonnet, or in the paddock... Wink
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Friends, a six month check up...

Niknoff, Mick, jokingly said he was going to wait around for six months for me to put this F-450 up for sale... Mick, no chance.. I hate to tell you, but the truth is I love this truck so much if I was a little richer or the re-did the tax benefit or gave another tax credit; I would buy another one and mothball it in storage... Wink

This is without a doubt the greatest 4x4 truck I have ever owned. It will tow 10 ton, and go all the way to 7500kg GVM with the mods and air bags I have done, and has all the luxury toys of all other brands and then some really User Friendly big towing gear as well. Power heated, power extending, power folding, power mirrors, to climate control and voice actuated plus touch screen plus steering wheel controls... This is the MAX !

Now mind you, this is a bit big and unnecessary for Bushtracker Owners. On the other hand if this is to be home, with all the toys, and you wanted to put a boat on top, a gull wing canopy, and tow a big 22' van like this:

If you want to have the whole home and toys with you, the single rear wheel Silverado 2500 HD is NOT LEGAL and could leave you without insurance.. The F-350 Single Rear Wheel in the same size body as the Silverado above, carries a long ton more with a GVM of 5180kg vrs the 4177 kg of the Silverado as shown above.. If you want to go this big, then you really need a Dually in the Chevrolet, or at least the F-350 Single Rear Wheel with a larger GVM of over 5 tons.. If you were going to a Ford Dually: The F-450 is so fantastic, for a little more money I would skip the F-350 Dually (Dual rear wheel) and go all the way to F-450 with larger gear and brakes and capacity yet... As I swear the ride is as good or better... Like my Wife says, better. Here is what it looks like towing a 23' Bushtracker top of the line for the Brisbane Show 2010.

The R&D on the Silverado and Ford Super Duty sized vehicles is done. We will stop here. Mind you this F-450 is way over the top for Bushtracker Owners, but after owning two King Ranch F-350s, I do not think it rides any harder and my Wife says the ride is better. Ford says the ride in the F-450 is better because of the longer springs in the back and the wider stance in the front. I say YES!

Like I say, the F-450 is way over the top for most of your needs, but in this Category there is a Topic SWB F-350, Super Duty GVM and Only 80 cm longer than Toyota I want to make sure any of you in the market realize that the new F-350 Super Duty carries almost a ton more than a Silverado 2500 HD, comes not only in Single Rear Wheels, and Short Wheel Base, but also in a cut down CrewCab called a SuperCab with a rear bench seat that is not much bigger than a Toyota 200 Series...

Figure out what you are going to carry, and if you are a Chevy man OK, just know your limitations are that the 2500 HD Crew Cab like I had, can only have light fiberglass canopy and drawers. It is not up to the likes of a large gull wing canopy and boat on top like some want. Some of you Owners want to really load one up with toys, and make a Lifestyle out of this kind of travel, and for that you need to be aware of your maximum GVM. That is why I am directing the interest to the vehicles that can do the job.

Cheers, stg
JWIK

State:: QLD
Current Bushtracker owner:: No
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve are you getting any realtime feedback from the US about the new super duty range? Its looks great on paper but if you know anyone who has purchased one to give a genuine opinion I'd like to hear about it.
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this may be of interest to others, so I will expand on this and give the conclusions of how I have gotten to where I am with the (5) I have owned in Research at Bushtracker for the big jobs I requires. To a great degree, I have gained my Research on the Powerstroke Forum at http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/ where there is a Category on each model of Ford diesel for the past 20 years. I am the lone Ranger there as well, and have over 4 years of Research, and over 1060 Posts, and have read maybe 5000 entries and a 100 private Techie emails. I even patterned this Forum after the style, with 20 some odd Categores and Topics in each, so you could look up what you wanted to know about, even the Search Engine idea...

Here are the Conclusions in brief.....

The 7.3 both IDI and the PSD were great engines, dirty, crude, noisy, but great solid engines and were only stopped because of EPA Emission Controls... Both my IDI and PSD went strong, never had a real problem, and carried on for the next Owners.. The transmission in the Brazilian built Ford needs upgrades for heavy towing, and there are Topics on this in here.. The rest of the truck is very basic, no frills, and lousy turning radius. Australians for the most part do not know what the REAL Fords are, having only that basic vehicle as experience, that was built in Brazil with obsolete parts and runouts... Still a good truck, but NO comparison with the proper American Built Super Duty that is and has been the Worlds Number One truck.

The next motor since 2003 in America, the 6.0 was also a good engine, but it was built on the upper tolerances and all the problems were for the most part because Navistar did not count on people hopping it up with Tuners (chipping it up to higher performance in Australian terms). It was basicall good baring a couple of points: The Emission Controls were up on their maximums with the EGR coolers in particular; and the head bolts and gaskets were not up to taking high performance tunes with massive horsepower added. You could rectify both, and when you did, the 6.0 was a solid performer. I owned 2 of them, 06 and 07 King Ranch F-350 Duallies and since I did not hot rod tune it, never had a problem. The EGR coolers were an adequate design, but when you hot rodded it (not mine) it was subject to over heat and over pressure with a Tuner and some had problems. My impression is that 95% of all problems with the 6.0 was caused by running higher horsepower tunes by the Owners, stretch head bolts, blowing head gaskets, and overheated EGR coolers. This however, because people would not admit to it, this gave Navista (the old International Harvester) a black eye for what was basically a pretty good engine. People that upgraded the head bolts, better head gaskets, and did EGR delete programs, are successfully running 600 HP and more at tractor pulls still in action.. The Transmission still in use today is the 5R110, and there are actually Transmission Shops that have never worked on one. The are the strongest transmission and longest lasting in that truck class. The lower grade Allison in the Chevrolets can only take 50 hp more, maybe as much as 90 HP, without upgrades; where the Ford 5R110 is running routine tunes up to 250 HP more with no modifications. Problems and kits sent out on that transmission are near zero. The Super Duty also now has more creature comfort luxury than the rest, and more User Friendly big towing gear.

Now I have studied the new 6.4 Twin Turbo PSD that I have now for about a year and a half before I bought mine. My hands on study is only 7 months and 18,000 kms on my 09 F-450, but I also have gotten Technical School from inside Ford. My Contatcts: I have an inside man from the Australian Import and Service Company that I just spoke with yesterday, and one in Texas at a Dealer. My conclusion from the studies of the Engineering and the records on 190 trucks in Australia and a few hundred in heavy work in Texas is that Navistar (International Harvester) went OVERBOARD on building the 6.4 PSD to save its reputation. It is definitely NOT an interim engine as some call it, and there are wider uses of the engine than just in Fords. From the redesign of the EGR Coolers double in size and two of them, to larger head bolts, to bedding plate to support the lower end and the main crank shaft bearings, to improved head gasket designs, we have a GREAT engine from the old "International Harvester" Company... Almost all failures in it have been water in the fuel, but you have to be careful about that with any of the newer common rail high pressure diesel engine designs. I personally prefilter mine with a dewatering filter, and check the dewater filter on the truck monthly with a little drain out the petcock.

Since then there is a brand new engine Ford has made, the 6.7... Now I have been watching with interest the progress of the 6.7 new Ford Diesel with Owners on the Forum, and have private conversations by email. In summary, it is too early to say. With the 6.4, I am convinced we have a GREAT engine. It is possible that Fords 6.7 is going to be good, but International Harvester "Navistar" now, in my opinion built us possibly the best in the field. It will be years before we know if the Ford built 6.7 that is assembled in Mexico, is going to hold up with consistency and quality control.. Probably all good, but I wait to see...

There are also some design features as to WHY I did not opt for the first of the new 6.7 out just now, and instead bought the last of the 09 6.4 Twin Turbo model in 12/09... The new 6.7 gets fantastic fuel economy, and I have started a Topic on it here in this Category, but my 6.4 tuned and modified gets about the same anyway. I may stick with my 09 F-450 also because for fuel economy the new ones have gone to smaller diff, down from the Dana 110 in mine to a Dana 80, smaller wheels down from the 20" back to 17", smaller brakes down from the commercial grade gear in mine, and down back to 8 stud wheels away from the Big Rig 10 stud in mine. It appears they just upgraded an F-350, the Super Duty F-450 is no longer made, and the new 6.7 is just UGLY... Ford made an ugly Dual rear wheel look, with the ugliest fenders on dually since the 1950s... My King Ranch 4x4 is the last of the little Big Rigs, and I may dig in right here and make a stand.

You can go read on the new 6.7 and how it is going in the Powerstroke Forum, but they are only just now on the road in America, and not yet complianced in Australia, and we will not know for at least 12 months how they are running in heavy service.

All in a nutshell for you, recent 10 years of owning them, and four years on that Ford Forum, my conclusions on all models... They are still the top dog. Here is one in here yesterday to pick up a new Bushtracker, a full import SUPER DUTY, tricked out, SRW (Single Rear Whee)l F-350 still legal well over 5 ton, that would take a dually to do in a Silverado. It carries TWO 4x4 quad bikes, boat, loader, outboard, tool boxes, two spares, and the rest:

My own F-450 Super Duty is still the top dog... Mine tows over 4 ton more and carries over 2 ton more at 7500 kg GVM than any Silverado made, and my wife with a bone spur in her neck claims it rides better as well..

It is horses for courses you know... Wink
JWIK

State:: QLD
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appreciate your feedback on the subject.
Jamie
petpat47

State:: qld
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:59 pm    Post subject: BullBar for MY10 Ford F250 Reply with quote

Hi all
I have been in contact with three Qld bullbar manufactureing companies re the purchase of a bullbar for a MY10 Ford F250. They make the bars for the earlier models but not Super Duty.
To make one from scratch they would need the truck for up to two weeks.
I could probably negotiate a deal as the company would then have the pattern to make others.
However I would prefer to buy off the shelf if possible.
So if anyone knows a company that makes a bullbar for the MY10 F250 I would appreciate information re company name etc.

thanks
Peter
BTRACK22

State:: Western Australia
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Peter

I have just been through all this for my F350 which I picked up in April. I was looking primarily for a bar that would take a winch and be a roobar as a secondary function.

I found that there were only three choices although I did not follow up on the first one as I did not like the big "chunky" look. For this reason I did not investigate further to find out for a fact that it fitted the newer models that of course differ from the older ones by virtue of the grille being attached to the bonnet.

This first choice offered to me by a reseller was from ECM which I would guess would be one of the companies you have already contacted.

The other two choices are from ARB. The one I chose has been available for a while and is more of a heavy "nudge" bar. I do not have any photos as yet as the installation as all of my after market gear [long range fuel tanks, drawers, water tanks, lights etc, etc] only commenced today. The bumper part of the bar work that houses the winch is made from steel and the "U" shape nudge bar part is polished aluminium. This part pivots forward to allow the bonnet and grille to clear when opening.

The second choice of bar from ARB has been designed and they are currently in production with a delivery date around late August [apparently]. I have seen photos of the prototype and it is a full on type of bull bar for the real macho types. Good luck in dealing with ARB as every employee you speak to with them has a different story regarding timing, costs and availability.

The bar being fitted to my F350 was not available in stock according to three different branches and their head office. I found it by tracking it down whilst I was in Melbourne and proving its existence to ARB before being "allowed" to buy it. The part number is ARB3913060 and the description is "Sahara bar suit F250/350.

Now, when I saw it last today it had just had the winch fitted to it and the mounts bolted to the vehicle. I assume that it all went together okay this afternoon and that it really does fit. I have seen the same unit fitted on ARB's own late model super duty truck in Melbourne.

Regards

Lance
petpat47

State:: qld
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lance
thanks for the info. I will chase it up with ARB today.
I did talk to ARB on the Sunshine Coast last week and while the sales rep was helpful, after a couple of phone calls he was told the full bullbar was not in production and didn't know when it would be.
I will let you know how I go. Would love to see a pic or three of the 350 when you have them available.

regards
Peter
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update Big Rig Fans:

The (Job 2) 6.7 Diesel will be released in October, and in addition to the top fuel economy, they will have the top performance figures...

From Ford and American Performance:
Just to up date you. Ford show to have. 390 HP & 735 Torque on the new 2011 Superduty.

Chevy 6.6L Duramax 397 HP & 765 Torque.
GM is going to launch there 6.6l Duramax in Sept. talking about the horsepower and torque more than Ford Superduty.

Ford in Oct. which is Job 2
Launch 6.7L will have 400 Horsepower & 805 lb ft torque.
Bronco

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:37 pm    Post subject: 2011 F350 Lariat dualy Reply with quote

Hello Steve
This is my first posting here, but I have just about read every single posting there is to read about your vans and the big rigs. My wife and I are actually going up to your factory for a tour on Monday 30th of this month and we can't waiting to see your incredible vans I read about so much. I gather after reading here you are the guru on all things ford BIG man after my own heart. I'm looking at buying the new 2011 F350 Lariat dualy have read as much as I could fine on this great thing called the internet, and from all reports and reviews this new diesel 6.7 seems to be bullet proof, but like all new things that haven't been tried and proven with time, is concerning in the way that I don't want to be their lab rat. Would you recommend buying the 2010 equivalent. I know this truck may seem like an over kill to some but if I'm towing a Bushtracker I like to know if I need to I can more thing to my vehicle and still keep with the law and most importantly safe for my wife and I and others on the road. Sorry Steve for being a bit long winded. BTW this is one heck of a good forum.
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Cowboy,
Great Logon name! And WELCOME TO THE FORUM, POST NUMBER ONE!

First of all, unless you intend to really load it up, a Dually is probably overkill. The SRW (Single Rear Wheel) F-350 has a GVM over 5 ton... But you can look into that with VDC American Imports and discuss the options.

Now to the real answers to your question, and a bit of a dilemma: I like to give a scientific answer to things, so I do the real R&D. I have owned and put through the trials the most common tow vehicles, doing maintenance and upgrades and testing. I have owned (3) Troopcarriers, still own (2) 100 Series (1) 200 Series, owned Silverados (2, 2500 HD and 3500 HD) and Fords (5, 350 7.3 IDI, 250 Brazilian 7.3, 2- F-350 Super Duty 6.0, and the F-450 King Ranch Super Duty I now own. I have not owned the 6.7 just released...

Now that I have qualified my answer, I will tell you where you can go to a Ford Forum that I have been on for many years and the Forum I patterned this Forum off of so you can look something up by Category and Topic. It is the
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/ and they have a Category on the 6.7 that I have been following for well over a year:
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/ford-powerstroke-scorpion-6-7-2011-forums/

There are several Categories within that sub Forum,
General 6.7 Discussion
6.7 Performance Parts Discussion
6.7 Problems Forum
6.7 Motor Problems
6.7 Tranny Problems
6.7 Drivetrain Problems

Now when I know an answer, I will give it. But in this case, when I do not have a solid answer I also will tell you: You should spend some time there to decide as we have no real track record for it here in Oz.. I can only offer these three aspects of guidance here:

1) My person feeling are that I hate the new fender look of the 6.7 Dually. My last model, of the 6.4, has Dually fenders that are sweeping back and beautiful to look at, while the new 6.7 look like stuck on half doughnuts.. YUK!

2) The other gripe I have, is the new F-450 not only looks YUK, with the half slice bagel mudguards, but they also stopped making the oversized running gear. The new 6.7 does not have the Big Rig 10 Stud wheels, bigger brakes, bigger Dana 110 Diff, and so on. The new F-450 is just a glorified F-350, so if you were going F-450 then you have your answer: My last model is the last of the Big Rig running gear. It is the "Last of the Mohicans"...

3) The other dilemma for you, is that IF you need a Dually, there is no reason to go the F-350 when you get MASSIVE capability with not much more expense in going up to the F-450... An F-350 SRW (Single) makes perfect sense, but if you want a DRW (Dual Rear Wheel) for some reason, the F-450 has a HUGE jump in capability that Dodge and Chevrolet do not even have a category for, and it rides about the same. My F-450 has been upgraded and now has GVM of 7.5 tonnes, and a GCM of 14,963 kg almost 15 tonnes. Chevrolet and Dodge do not even make a truck in that capability.. The F-450 will always have great resale for big horse hauler goosenecks in my opinion, as it is in the Big Rig class in that if you load it to nearly 5 ton, you can still tow almost a 10 ton gooseneck which is HUGE about as big as they can get. Mine is only about 5 ton, 7 tonne loaded..

Anyway, on your question, spend some time on that other Forum to decide. If Godzilla stepped on my truck today, I myself would go buy the last Model F-450 for the reasons above. But if you want an F-350 SRW or DRW, myself I would probably suggest you go to the 6.7 because it is the latest and greatest and is getting somefantastic fuel economy reports. There is a Topic on it in this Category TIPS ON TOW VEHICLES here on this Forum, go read my report on the 6.7 here in SHOCKING NEW 2011 FORD RESULTS, WILL BE WORLDS NUMBER ONE

And thank you for the kind words. I do put my heart into trying to benefit others. Welcome to the Forum...

lone Ranger, here and also on the Ford Forum with over 1000 postings of Research there....
Bronco

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Steve for the info. I do agree that this latest model dauly has an uglier bum then the model you have but she still has a nice face and beauty is only skin deep hopefully Laughing

I will keep on reading forums as I'm not in any rush and like to me sure before I buy. Once again thanks for replying so quickly.
Bronco

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Steve
I've been doing alot of research of late on the F450 King Ranch and love this truck but I have found out after ring nearly all insurance companies that I know they won't insure this truck Sad Who do you use to insure your truck? Also I have found out getting new tyres (because of the rating) are not easy to get either. Maybe you could enlighten me with your wisdom to how and where. Because if this wasn't such an issue I'd go and buy this great truck I found in Brisbane 2008 model only 11,200kms on the clock.
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy Peasy,

They just will not insure it, because it is not in their list and they don't know what it is... Also it is OVER the GVM that most of them will insure for.. You have to call someone that knows like: Rhino Insurance, or Prestige Auto Insurance, will cost about 1% of value of the vehicle for insurance. The Ford or Chev Dealers can point you to them, or a current better one they use...

I may know the truck and Owners in Brisbane that have that one for sale. I bought the "Burnt copper" F-350 on this Forum from them years ago. They import them, use them to tow race cars around, and if I am correct the one you are looking at is in the same burnt copper. VDC American Imports will know them and does their conversions... Should be a nice truck. If you get it, send me email for a few more tips on this, at sales@bushtracker.com

See ya on the road Cowboy...!!! Dat's wat dey call me, is Cowboy.. Ha!
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, 12 months on, and I am really happy with my F-450. Nothing compares with the luxury and capability... Almost 25,000 kms in nearly 12 months, as I travel a bit with horses fully loaded up. Runs like a top.

Here is someone else, that needed more capacity than their Silverado had to offer, and switched over to the new Super Duty Ford. There are probably over 20 Bushtracker Owners so far this year, that have bought the new Super Duty Fords. This F-350 of theirs, has over a ton more capacity, for the same size of body....

This is a much more capable vehicle for the job asked of it...

Regards from the road, Ranger
Readytotravel

State:: NSW
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

First post, great forum. I have been reading for sometime now. I hope to order myself a Bushtracker next year sometime. Very Happy

Steve, do you know who made that canopy for the F Series, it looks like a nice setup. I have a 2011 F350 on order and I have still not decided on how I will setup the rear end yet.

Thanks
Craig
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Craig,

When you Order, you get into the Owners Section, and there you get the real meat of the Forum in about three months of Coaching in those sections to help you refine and develop your Bushtracker layout and gear.

On the Canopy, sorry but they picked up and are on the frog and toad. Now maybe they will see this Post and answer, but the canopies are built all over the place by many, many, fabricators from next door to us all the way down to Melbourne and further. When you see someone with a canopy you like, ask.... Also, you might put a Post on the General Discussion area to get answers on..

One more thing: WELCOME TO THE FORUM, POST NUMBER 1 !!!
griffos

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Craig
The canopy for the F350 was made by Trade Bodies to our specification.
In our opinion they are the best on the market and a great company to deal with nothing is to much trouble for them, everything is manufactured in house including metal folding and 2pack paint, electrics, central locking doors, and sensor alarms if doors are left open.
They are located at Caboulture Qld if you what to contact them you will not be disappointed just like BT they are the best in their field.

Peter & Trish
Readytotravel

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Peter & Trish,

Thank you for the feedback, I will give them a call.

Cheers
Craig
Luvntravln

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig, to give you an alternative in another direction, I am having my second canopy made by Metal Form Industries in Warrigal, Vic.

http://www.mfindustries.com.au/

The base quote for my 2700 long canopy is $11,465. It will cost more because of the additions we are including. If you would like to see a copy of the full written quote send an email to luvntravln@gmail.com.

Dallas is a pleasure to work with and an expert in his field.
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the second Registration Sticker is on.....
And it is Official, I have raised the F-450 GVM to 7,500 kg, sitting on the 10 stud wheels, and massive Dana 110 rear diff.. I was just offered a new F-450, but this one only has 26,000 kms, and is without a doubt the best truck I have ever owned, I think I will keep it and cannot see a reason to change as it is just that good... I like fixing things up, but this is a new peak that is hard to beat.

Massive power, with the 14,963 GCM and Air Brakes over so I can tow anything............ And the interior is the King Ranch all luxury soft leather..

Heavy front end, very strong................... Dana 110, and ten stud 19.5 heavy truck wheels, they don't even make them this heavy duty anymore...

A man has to know his limitations (Clint Eastwood, Dirty Harry, 1970's)... And it just does not get any better than this, at least for now. I am keeping it, and the colour is the best, at ten meters it looks bright and clean even when dirty..

These are an AWESOME truck, overkill for Bushtracker unless you wanted to carry two quad bikes or a massive canopy and boat or something.. But AWESOME and I think it rides about like my F-350. It is so much better, I am not sure they are going to import the Dual Rear Wheel F-350 anymore, just skip up to the F-450. Top truck in Australia for sure..

On the road with the Ranger
Luvntravln

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, every time you post new pics of your F450 I get goose bumps. It is not yet in Oz, sometime this month, and as soon as it arrives Stewart at AP promised to send photos. Without even taking delivery, with all the reading I have done, there is no doubt that you have steered me in the right direction to the F450 and not either the F350 or 3500.

You are building us a fantastic 24' caravan and towing with F450 will be fantastic.

Thanks Mate.
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:55 pm    Post subject: COWBOYS F-450 IS FOR SALE.... Reply with quote

Cowboys F-450,
is now for sale...... Lovely vehicle, but I am going back to having a smaller vehicle that is more main stream for Bushtracker, and a full sized truck that can do larger commercial jobs....

This truck is ridiculous for a normal Bushtracker. It has Air Brakes and can tow 10 Ton on a Gooseneck hitch... But if you want a very large van, carry quad bikes, or a big boat, then this could be the truck for you. Read all about it, and its complete history in photos, all right here for you..

Because of Bushtracker, I am splitting the Luxury Truck into two again, one will be a Landcruiser 200 Series VX or Sahara, all done up for the Shows and parked in front of Bushtracker for my everyday use. This will be a display of our number one tow vehicle, for Shows and weighing and transport of vans.. The other will be a proper Commercial Truck like the Mack was, I need that larger commercial capability, possible lowboy beavertail trailer for carting 2-3 Bushtrackers to Shows Melbourne to Perth, and carting commercial cargo...

This F-450 is for sale, probably the most well equipped F-450 in Australia.
Warn Winch, Industrial heavy duty model,
Reinforced bumper and bar,
Three batteries, wired for fridge,
Air Brakes, (Proper $10,000 job of it) Original Hydaulics over air when required.
Chassis bolted mount for 3" Gooseneck ball, 10 ton towing capability,
Plus 4500 kg rear hitch.
Back up camera,
Range finder in reverse,
King Ranch interior, with 5000 song jukebox storage, Bluetooth, all the fruit.
Hella Driving Lights,
Three spares (new),
Wired for Anderson Plugs in bed and bumper and Gooseneck well..
Spares, sensors, filters, belts,
VCM Vehicle Communications Module for Ford Diagnostic, OB1 Port,
Dell Laptop with IDS (Integrated Diagnostic System) Ford Diagnostics
SPARTAN Tuner, Three tunes, plus Code Clearing and Diagnostics
Custom exhaust plus original.
Air Bags over rear, ajustable from inside
Air Bags inside front,
On board suspension adjustment of air bags with gauge and controls adjust on the fly,
The whole history of the truck is here in this thread..

This IS a little big Rig, if you want to carry a quad, big boat, larger van, the replacement is about $165,000-$175,000
And weeks and weeks of work, months of modifications to get all of this done.

FOR SALE, 39,000 kms, $135,000

Contact Cowboy at Bushtracker
NOW SOLD...
Condinup

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

Have just done the trip accross the paddock to take delivery of the new 20 foot van in the new 2012 6.7 Ford F 350.
For the 4300 km run over, at a reasonable pace, averaged 16.4 lts per 100 km.
Return trip of 5700 with van in tow, on cruise at 100, 21.4 lts per 100 km.
Used about 25 lts of add blue in total.

Had all the usual extras of water, fuel, tools, genset etc. etc.

Thanks to Peter, Phil and all involved in producing such a good product.
Van towed perfectly and performed as it should and am sure it will provide us with many years of service.
Regards
MG
gregbroome

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gidday MG.
Interested to hear your impressions of living with the F350 over time.
I have my eye on a similar setup, as I also have my eye on a larger size BT.
Going to the Perth Caravan show, so hope to actually see some of these products for real.
Cheers, Greg.
Condinup

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Greg,
Have done about 15,000 km so far and it is definitely effortless driving. You hardly notice the van behind and you feel a lot more at ease knowing that you have plenty up your sleeve. Pulls in sixth at 1450 rpm for 100 kph.
Have had two 200 series and loved them but ran into gvm issues.
The ride is a little firmer in comparison but with the dual cab super duty you can load just about as much as you like and be fine.
Bushtracker are coming to the show so thats your chance to have a look I guess.
Let me know if you want any more info.
Re
MG
gregbroome

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information.
Towing in 6th gear? Wow, those 350's must be like a locomotive.
Actually, one of my biggest worries is how the Fords go as 4wd's not towing. I would be leaving the van behind sometimes to go camping in more inaccessible places (for photography mainly) and think they would struggle compared with Landcruisers because of weight and width. Always a compromise. But heck, if you need the tow capacity, there seems to be no better choice. As you say, must be a joy to tow with that much spare capacity and safety.
Have seen many BT's through the Kimberley, but keen to actually see inside one. Photos can only tell so much.
Greg.
Condinup

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Greg,
Yes I agree,
Have ordered some Goodrich ATs to change out the Michelin road type tyres and will need to see how it goes. Yet to have it on the beach sand and the more serious off road. Is only a little wider than the cruiser but length will be interesting. Don't think power will be a problem.
Time will tell.
Re
MG
craigh

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Great units.

I have an 2011 F350 with 35,000km and has been great. My business has ordered another two due soon we have been that happy.

Mine has a steel tray with removable alloy canopy.

Also have a LC200, great vehicle but IMO if you want to be legal you can't fit bullbars & winches, roof racks etc and expect to tow 3,000+. They are only just as a stock unit with no extra weight.
craigh

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In reference to offroad they are fine. I have had mine on Fraser Island in the sand etc, as long as you air down and don't expect it to go places in really tight situations it will do as much as a 200 Series.

Also had it out around the red centre roads (not the Simpson crossing, but up Big Red)

I run BF Goodrich All Terrains 285/65 R20's. Stock tyres are only good for fish in a dam.
R&R Leisure Time

State:: Tasmania
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same as Craig with a bit less km on it one problem I found was when climbing a steep hill at Arkaroolah in SA I could not see where the road went over the crest (it is a big bonnet) but since then I have fitted a front camera just for that issue in future
As to towing the 22ft fully loaded van (6 tanks also full) it dose not know it is there you place it in towhall and let it go
One thing with the 350 here in Tas it is about 250kg over the standard licence
which means Rosa has to get a light ridged licence to legally drive it

Ron
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> Tips on TOW VEHICLES All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: