MAX SIZED VAN BEHIND LANDCRUISER OR NISSAN SIZED VEHICLES

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> What SIZE OR TYPE OF BUSHTRACKER?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bushtracker
Site Admin

State:: Queensland
Current Bushtracker owner:: Yes
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 3:44 pm    Post subject: MAX SIZED VAN BEHIND LANDCRUISER OR NISSAN SIZED VEHICLES Reply with quote

Hello Friends,

There are two issues I am going to deal with here, with regards to a practical cap on what size of van to put behind Landcruiser sized Tow Vehicles. Please consider both of them, with the safety of your Family in mind, and understand that unlike other Companies that do not care and will put a larger van on behind you, we are really trying to honestly and ethically look after your health and well being and that of your Family, OK? Please read this and understand the two main limitations for safety:

First is weight. Our Optional Equipment can weigh 300-400 kg, and with that equipment on board a 21' Bushtracker can weigh 2650 kg; maybe as high as 2700 kg with a complex layout. We just weighed one with EVERYTHING, and over the top on drawers with 10 drawers, and a very complex layout, and four batteries and four panels, flat screen TV, the largest fridge/ freezer at 220 litres and so on Rolling Eyes You get the picture, anyway they weighed 2800 kg. Shocked You are just starting to run out of extra capacity on the tow hitch of a Landcruiser sized vehicle at 3500 kg. Four tanks of water is 320 kg on its own. Most of our Customers are adding on around 600-700 kg in water, food, toys, tools, personal goods, and the rest. At 21' you are about at your limit. Trying to go to 22' puts you into an extreme of having to really watch your weight, and so we STRONGLY RECOMMEND people stop at 21', with their Best Interests in mind.. OK?

There is really another issue here that needs to be dealt with, on maximum size of Bushtracker to be put behind a Toyota for SAFETY... And it is not what you might think... It is not about power.. It is an issue of the length of wheelbase for leverage at high speed, when you have to make a radical maneuver to avoid an accident or a spilled load or a Bullock or something... The wheelbase of the Landcruiser runs out of safety margin somewhere around 21' or 22'... Even my own 100 Series Landcruiser with the OME ARB upgraded Suspension and Nitrocharger Shocks (the little Missus truck), is up on its maximum limit with my 22' van and does not feel safe. There is a limit, and from 14 years of Bushtracker we know that practical limit is 21'.. It is just not safe if something happens to cause a radical move at 100 kph.. There is really not enough leverage to do it safely with the wheelbase of a Landcruiser, and that is where the F-250 or F-350 Ford, or Chev or Dodge trucks really shine. So, with your best interests in mind, I have a moral and ethical obligation to say that you are safer with a limit closer to 21' at a maximum, than 22'. Now we make exception to holders of Commercial Truck License and have and will go to 22'; But they have Professional Training, testing, and experience. They watch their mirrors more and don't allow traffic to build up too much behind them, they allow more distances, they are better trained in towing in varied conditions, and they have the safety techniques drilled into them. Please read in the Category TIPS ON SAFETY WHEN TOWING, two Topics there: "TREAT IT LIKE A PROFESSIONAL TRUCK DRIVER"and "29 TIPS FOR SAFETY WHEN TOWING"..

Now in saying that there is one more consideration. We have layouts and equipment from the marine industry that you will not see anywhere else. These are "Land Yachts" for their self-sufficiency and independence in lifestyle and travel, and here you will possibly get some ideas that you had not thought of before with regards to size. You can get a 22' feel of road van of another company, in only a 20' or 21' van in a Bushtracker. In summary, on a visit here you might find you can get it done in 21' without having to go larger. In general, I try and talk people out of going to 22' with Toyota, unless they are Professional Truck Drivers or similar. I am trying to look after you for your own best interests, OK?

In summary we strongly recommend you do not go over 21' behind a Toyota sized vehicle for reasons of safety, legality, insurance, and your general health and well being Smile .. Unless you are a Professional Truck Driver with a Medium Rigid License or higher. In a moment of absent mindedness, you might be able to swerve to avoid that accident in front of you; but you might not be able to recover. Shocked My advice is to tone it down now, at 21', rather than potentially live with a Lifetime of regrets later Wink

Kind Regards from the lone Ranger, who does have a Professional Truck License...... Trying to look after you..

Last edited by Bushtracker on Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:19 pm; edited 4 times in total
Loki of Condor

State:: WA
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even at 20 feet, some circumstances can make you feel like things are getting out of whack.

We were driving down some steep tracks made of pebbly limestone a couple of weeks ago and I needed to apply the brakes. We were going very slowly but I felt the van start to push the Cruiser sideways.

Not a nice feeling.

Even on bitumen, descending from Mapleton last week on a wet road in that 10-12% decline stage I needed to get right down to 1st gear and when I applied the brakes I used the Prodigy brake controller and applied the van's brakes first.

I would not like the tail to start wagging the dog.

So it's all good advice above.
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Loki,
for giving it some weight. Please take his advice and mine to heart. I think I have towed more sizes of vans with more tow vehicles than anyone.. R&D on Tow Vehicles and Bushtracker has become something more than one would expect to receive anywhere, and the advice is free and uncorrupted by politics or finance. I think I am beyond both, and can give the benefit to all with a solid degree of impartiality.

For those of you that have not figured it out yet, looking after your well being has become one of my "Crusades" so to speak, and I will continue to dedicate myself to this. I believe that anyone doubting my motives will soon find the thousands of hours of research and dedication here that is benevolent. There is a magnitude of more in the Owners Section

I will continue to renew and upgrade the advice to adhere to current conditions. Just because you have read the Topic before, I encourage you to run through and give it a glance again, as I will endeavour to update all with current conditions and technology as my time allows. I wax philosophical on occasion, forgive me if I Post after a few drinks out lone Ranger with the horses, tired at some times, but still on duty. My aim is still the same, looking after "Your Best Interests" and I am not abashed about it. Please particularly take my advice on safety issues to heart for your own good... And review old Topics with another glance to see if more over the years has been updated... Wink

God Bless All, this late Sunday night, out with the horses, on the road, Ranger
Theywent Thataway

State:: New South Wales
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loki of Condor wrote:
Even at 20 feet, some circumstances can make you feel like things are getting out of whack.

We were driving down some steep tracks made of pebbly limestone a couple of weeks ago and I needed to apply the brakes.

Even on bitumen, descending from Mapleton last week on a wet road in that 10-12% decline stage I needed to get right down to 1st gear and when I applied the brakes I used the Prodigy brake controller and applied the van's brakes first.

We have a 2001 diesel 100 series, manual, with aftermarket turbo and air to water intercooler, and tow a 20' BT. We have to admit to being a bit anxiuos as to how it would go towing....but now we LOVE IT and couldn't be happier.

I have read Steve's 29 tips frequently, and try to remember them when we are "out there'. I also keep coming back to the point that rollovers happen more when the girls are behind the wheel Embarassed, so I do regular, but very short stints towing the BT.

Dave has a truck licence and I KNOW it has made a difference to how we would otherwise tow. (The first time I towed on bitumen was all good for half an hour, then the road got narrower, then a bridge presented itself...moments later, so did a truck....AND a dead pig ON THE BRIDGE at the same time as me and the truck. Because I had listened to Dave and read Steves tips LOTS of times, I was reasonably confident, and all went well)

One thing I don't like about the 100 series (compared to my current Troopy, previous 60 series and hilux with manual Hub locks) is that it would go into 4wd automatically (and wind up) when "Low Range" was selected using the lever. With the other vehicles, I could just use LOW RANGE on big hills (both ascending and descending) , backing trailers etc by simply not locking the hubs. Safer, more control and precision.

The 100's transmission would windup in 5 metres of low range work on tar Evil or Very Mad

Dave has fixed that by disconnecting the automatic centre diff lock switch (and replaced it with a "dummy" plug to keep water and dirt out)...making it possible to manouver and tow the Beast in Low Range on tar without Windup

So now,

1) We can - and usually do - take off in LOW RANGE 1st gear. MUCH safer at traffic lights and intersections. (Take off in low range 1st, then switch lever to high range - still in 1st) when at the right speed for it. EASY!!!!!

2) We have 5 more gears to climb UP hills (we've only used that on dirt...didnt even need to do it towing UP Hanging Rock Rd outside Tamworth...!!)

3) Descending bitumen hills is not half as scary coz we are then like a TRUCK (especially on those "trucks must use low gears" hills... we used it coming back DOWN Hanging Rock Rd. Was still a bit scary)

4) Reversing the BT into a tight spot is a BREEZE.

There is NO TRANSMISSION WINDUP even though we are in low range. When we DO want to lock the centre diff, we just hit the centre diff button, and "voila", its there.

Just another tip to make towing with a 100 series a safer and more enjoyable experience.

TT Maz.

Flavs

State:: Vic
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve we have to agree!

Been there and done that!

We started with a 22' BT and a 100 series Toyota Sarah. I had read the posts re tips on towing etc. and I do have a Heavy Rigid licience, so I thought all would be fine and we have had no mishaps, however.

We noticed the Trucks passing, the High Winds and the unknowns at higher speeds (100 and less). As previously stated a feeling of 'the tail wagging the dog".

Weight was also going to be an issue. The van was close to the limit of the Toyota and the Toyota was on its limits and still no tinny, motor and fuel tank. These would put it over weight!

So the decision was made to upgrade to a Chev Silverado (bought a 2006 - previous local owner).

The difference - Safer, Safer & Safer.
We don't travel at the limits, and are often passed by less safe rigs (not BT's). The fuel consumption is better than the Toyota, we have room for our gear and we feel SAFE.

So we support Stev's view here!

Cheers
Flavs
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to Thank you for your support. I have taken the stand that, we will not take someones money if it means risking their "Well Being". I cannot say that others would turn down the dollars, but it is our Policy..

Even a 23' the super high end full luxury van at the Brisbane Show right now, looks OK from this angle...

You might say, you do not need a Ford to do that, but what about this angle:

OR This?

My Staff WILL NOT sell a van, even at the high end dollars, if it means sacrificing our Morals and Ethics to chase money. There is a special place in Hell for that sort of People that would put others in peril for the almighty dollar... Wink

I have a Medium Rigid Commercial Truck Licence, and even with my 100 Series being possibly the most well equipped in Queensland, (Topic REBIRTH OF THE SUPER CRUISER), even with that Cruiser a 22' well equipped Bushtracker is a lot to put behind it... Sort of looks OK from this angle...

It might look OK at this angle, my own 22' Bushtracker, but here is what it felt like: This angle...

If something happened on the highway at 100 kph, anyone can SWERVE, but the recovery from avoiding the accident, can be the downfall... Wink

We will only do the right thing by People. It is our way of looking after your best interests... Trust us, we tow more vans than almost anyone, and we are talking from experience...

We will help to guide you to get the size of van to be suited and safely towed behind your tow vehicle...

A 20' or even 21', will do nicely behind a Toyota or Nissan sized vehicle...
Note however: Some other Manufacturers measure overall length externally, and a 21’ can be only 19’ in floor area! We give you an honest measure of the living area of a Bushtracker. For example, a 21’ is actually 21’ on the floor area PLUS the nosecone area for free. Make sure if you are running comparisons, you are not being “short changed” on the size issue…

We will give you more van for your money, without going over the top, and we give sound advice...

lone Ranger
Loki of Condor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, any chance of showing us some inside photos of that 23' Show van?
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loki,

I was meaning to, and to be fair I just did not get around to it.... However, I will do it next week. This is a really flash van. Actually, it is the Owner that bought my 22' Bushtracker that was the top cat before this one. I thought my own van would not be topped, with yacht grade interior, curved leather lounge, polished Tassie Oak tables and benchtops, dishwasher, two air conditioners, two diesel heaters, satellite dish, and another page of goodies...

But this Owner wanted even more, and a layout even more luxurious. You have reminded me, and I will get a full pictorial essay on it before it leaves us next week..

Bindi,
A 21' is near the upper limit, and you will encounter a bit of nervous feeling every time you hook up and start to tow. This usually lasts a few hours, and it is a matter of getting used to it. It makes you feel a bit uneasy, as you feel the van behind you, and this uncomfortable feeling goes away after a half a day towing.

Even when you are a Veteran towing your Bushtracker: It will be there for a half hour to an hour, each and every time you hook up, as you get used to how the vehicle performs and behaves on the road... Don't stress over it, your vehicle handles is well and has the manoeuvrability to get you out of trouble in a pinch, that is as long as you have the WDH Weight Distribution Hitch on the back to put more pressure on the steering at high speed on the Highway..

At 21' you certainly do not need a new Super Duty Import Effie... I would do the job better, but it is not necessary, not one bit. With my F-450, yes it has the luxury of a Sahara, and the ability of a Baby Kenworth, but with it there is another feeling to get used to as well: You will be going along and pass somebody and then realize OH SH*t I have a Bushtracker on the back...!!!! It is a different kind of danger and you catch yourself forgetting it is there... Laughing Laughing

Anyway, at 21' you probably have the best vehicle size as far as cost efficiency. Yes, if you wanted to load it up, boat on top, and so on; The new Super Duty Fords would do better, but they are expensive by comparison. If you want to stay with the 100 Series, a suspension upgrade is worth the money and for safety is mandatory, (There is a Topic on this) and the WDH is mandatory, but with care you are in a good position...

Cheers, and stay safe on the road everybody.......

lone Ranger, out on "Gateway" wireless here to help you... And me? I am getting beaten at the NRHA State Championships... Me and my horse are trying hard, but getting whipped by the younger talent from all over Australia... Rolling Eyes Oh well, "Gunner's Davinci Code" will be ready to enter the battle next year.. He has stellar style and maybe we can show them a thing or two... I keep saying "next year" but am probably too old and too "unco" (uncoordinated) to compete and win on the National Level. But we will keep on trying.

bindi

State:: Qld
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Steve, I have only towed the BT 4,000 Km so far, the 100 series 4.2 TD has done a great job so far, it has the suspension upgrade + polly air bags, only yesterday I started "putting the BT on a diet" Laughing remembering my military training [when it comes to clothing etc] pack what you think you need , then half it.
Would LOVE to have your F450.
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bindi,

I won't lie to you, this is the nicest vehicle I have ever had in 40 + years of having 4x4's... It is the highlight of my day, every day I get in it to drive.

I am running train wreck, unco and nerves, at this years NRHA State Championships on my horses.... But when I get in, hook up, and start the trip home the F-450 will sooth all my hurt feelings... Laughing Really, it is that nice. Luxury, and enough toys on board that it lightens up the trip. It is so fun to drive, I went for a 7 hour round trip to pick up my Daughters out of school to bring them here. One of them has a young Stallion "Ruffescent" running in tonights Futurity Reining Event...

But in all fairness Bindi, what a waste of money if you did not have a job for it. This new Super Duty full Import F-450 King Ranch, a luxury level of a Statesman and the capability of a little Prime Mover, would set you back $150,000. It is four times the cost of a really good second hand 100 Series Landcruiser. It is twice the price of a 200 Series, by the time you add on the toys I have... Unless you were going to load it up with a giant gull wing canopy with freezer and extra fuel and extra water inside with everything including the kitchen sink, a boat loader, boat on top, and outboard, and, and, and,...... Bindi it is too much truck. Yes it is luxury and top of the heap, but it now has a 7500 kg GVM and 14,963 kg GCM and there is NO WAY to justify this much expense for a Bushtracker.

I am the one that can justify it, with a 50% tax input credit last year, and my income tax saved writing it off, it makes sense. Plus, in all fairness Bindi, it is "home away from home" for me. I am sitting here at the NRHA State Show, toasting my feet with the new Eberspacher forced air diesel heater, talking with you on the Internet on Gateway Wireless. The 21' in the front is much like a 21' Bushtracker, and the back 10' horse accommodations have been water blasted out, dividers removed, and converted to a second bedroom for my Daughters with doors and privacy curtains in between for privacy like a 31' two bedroom Bushtracker now. Laughing

The rig with horses can run 7 tonnes and is on Air Brakes. My F-450 4x4 King Ranch, has the job for sure... Fuel economy running home to get my Daughters, hilly country, ran 6.5 kms per litre with the F-450 loaded up to about 5.5 ton with tools, tack, extra fuel, three batteries, charger, and more toys and tools than you want to know about... And in hilly country, it gets better on the flat or unloaded of course. Loaded with the Gooseneck on the back, I am running just under 5 kms per litre in the 20-22 litres per hundred km at about 12.5 tonnes.

Bindi, it makes sense for me, but would be hard to justify the expense just to tow a Bushtracker. Now a SRW Single Rear Wheel F-350, with a GVM over 5 ton, now that makes sense. That is if you wanted a big Gull Wing canopy, boat and loader and the works on board, then the new Super Duty F-350 SRW makes sense because it would be hard to overload in either a Crew Cab or the Club Cab with the suicide door and smaller bench seat in the rear... These have twice the power of a Toyota, and the luxury of a Sahara for about the same price. THESE would make sense if you wanted the works...

But not my DRW Long Bed F-450 in front of a Bushtracker, that is a stretch... It takes a load like this to justify having this little "Kenworth" F-450 King Ranch...

In all fairness, this is too much truck to put before a Bushtracker... It really is a little Big Rig, and this is what it looks like at night running Interstate... This IS a Baby Prime Mover.... I would not suggest it for you Bushtracker Owners...

But thank you for the kind words, and I must admit I do LOVE this truck... To give you and idea of how big this double deck GooseNeck is... Here is a treat Bindi, for your kind words and attitude, a peek inside the lone Rangers lair, Double Decker, storage bays below:

Here inside the horse bay, (cleaned up Daughters bedroom) walk in shower and walk in loo other side, then looking forward to my bedroom, Queen, storage under, that is 31' to the front in this picture plus cargo bays underneath: This is WHY the F-450...

Up front, my bedroom, and in the back the converted Girls bedroom that I think I will panel and add a second air conditioning unit to....

Above shown, the Gateway Wireless I am speaking to you on, antennae on the Winegaurd and plugged into the Aux 3G ant site... Right picture, 17 y.o. Girls room, normal wreck... Laughing

Bindi, in all fairness THIS is the WHY of the F-450 you see parked out in front of Bushtracker, it has a little Prime Mover job. It is over the top for most Bushtracker Owners, and a Fifth Wheel Rig like this cannot go far off road..... You don't need a Rig like this unless you want to take a couple ton of horses and tack along.. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Or unless you wanted to go a MASSIVE Bushtracker like this 27' one, and you just don't need to go this big and it cannot go far off-road anyway with such overhangs..

My advice, there is a too big, and a too small in all of this... The best and most common size of Bushtracker that people stay with long term is 19' to 21' and that is well within the reach of the most popular type of Tow Vehicle which is Landcruiser.

lone Ranger, out running "train wrecks" bad runs, at the NRHA State Championships. Sad Embarassed Confused

Last edited by Bushtracker on Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Theywent Thataway

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Trainwreck......

We are ALL impressed that you are competing out there!!! We're all also gobsmacked, thats why you're not hearing much in response. What we're all thinking is....... Just don't get hurt...we need you HERE! Embarassed

Off topic...do I care this time??? Cool

TT M.

Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the kind words TT, M,

It is before dawn, up early for the last day of the NRHA State Championships... Tired, waxing philosophical out west in the cold..

And in my "Case" (crazy) this is NOT off Topic. Bushtracker is deeply intertwined with Rigs as I am crazy about Truck Rigs as I am about horses. I share my Blessing in Life with Riding for the Disabled on 30 acres, and in fact we are expanding there as well. All the RDA in this area, have amalgamated into "Sunshine Coast Riding for the Disabled" and I get the reward of smiles. I think there are about 200 kids and Families, and 50 or so regular Volunteers... This is all together.. The Horse keep me going. The Rigs are my relaxation in travel. The RDA is part of the horses and sharing. And it all goes with Bushtracker woven into a 7 day a week Lifestyle. This is not "Off Topic". If I cannot share the horses, and RDA, and Rigs research, then I will shut down this Forum and get out of Bushtracker.. So I guess you have to put up with it all as a package.

Mind you, some of you ask how the horses are going.. And, here it is already, 2010 State Championships....

I am running Train Wrecks, my Horse is too Show Smart and acts up, Schooling him runs train wrecks, this year I am looking old and uncoordinated (usual)... I may have to wait until "Gunner" is ready late this year for the August Nationals in Tamworth, or next year... patience.. patience... Serves me right actuallly, competing against people 30 years younger. Laughing

Oh well, I am an unco old clod some times, but: One of my Daughters, Jewel Eve, just won State Champion Youth yesterday, and the gold and silver buckle... Championship Presentation pictures coming.... But here is the Buckle, about 110 mm long, covers your hand.

It is particularly amazing as Jewel has been out of major Competition for about 2 years, and the Mare "CL Schwizzle Stick" is only 5 weeks off her Foal "A Hollywood Whiz" and back in training... My reward is seeing the smiles...
Wink

If I can't win myself, this is the next best thing. Thought I would pass this on as I get asked about the horses..

And by the way, I have given a few gentle and friendly warnings here to my Friends here as well just to let them know: It is not just with Bushtrackers that some vehicles are overloaded and risking NO INSURANCE in a bad accident. I am a HVRAS Officer, Heavy Vehicle Registration Assessment Scheme, and I give some friendly advice here on rigs that may be over their GVM or GCM or needing Air Brakes. A couple of the NRHA Horseman here have Thanked me profusely, and changed Rigs or floats to fall within the Legals as they have Property and did not want to be at "Financial Peril". More inforcement is coming, as Insurance Companies are running tight with the GFC downturn...

I am Bushtracker, I live it, just also with Horses, Rigs, and the RDA. This is not off-topic, you get me for free, with the thousands of hours maintaining this Forum, as a package or not at all.... Ha! Laughing Laughing Laughing

lone Ranger
Theywent Thataway

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Train Wrecks is the HORSE!!???!!
I thought that was how you were describing yourself coz of how you must be feeling at the end of each day!!!
I wasnt talking to the horse............. ROFL

tweedledee and tweedledum

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:04 am    Post subject: use of low range 1st gear Reply with quote

1) We can - and usually do - take off in LOW RANGE 1st gear. MUCH safer at traffic lights and intersections. (Take off in low range 1st, then switch lever to high range - still in 1st) when at the right speed for it. EASY!!!!!

2) We have 5 more gears to climb UP hills (we've only used that on dirt...didnt even need to do it towing UP Hanging Rock Rd outside Tamworth...!!)

3) Descending bitumen hills is not half as scary coz we are then like a TRUCK (especially on those "trucks must use low gears" hills... we used it coming back DOWN Hanging Rock Rd. Was still a bit scary)

4) Reversing the BT into a tight spot is a BREEZE.

Hi, i was interested in your comment about using low range 1st gear to take off from traffic lights.

I use low range 1st gear for backing the van and have found this makes it easy to park the van.

We have a 21ft Bushtracker and tow with a 4l turbo diesel troopy. We bought our van in March 2010, and have'nt done a lot of hill work. Our previous van weighed less than 2 ton, so with a much heavier van of 3.5 ton, it can be a bit more difficult to get the rig moving.

However on steep inclines at traffic lights with a 3.5 ton van behind it is sometimes difficult to get the rig going, when you have stopped at a red light.

So I will try your suggestion of starting in low range 1st gear, then changing to high range. At what speed would you move the lever from low range to high range? There is no syncro in the box, so I am thinking of about 5 to 10kmh. I hold a medium rigid truck lisence and have used low and high range in trucks, so I think your suggestion is great.

I would appreciate any more advice you could give me
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a couple of Troopcarriers in the 90's, and yes, a 21' could be in 2700 to 2800 kg range with all of our Optional Equipment on board. Then, yes with full water tanks and the lot, you are up on your absolute maximum limits for your Landcruiser so a stop at a stop sign on an extreme hill is a challenge.

In my experience, I did use the low range for starting on a very steep grade, but changing out of low range is almost impossible under load. In my experience, I kept the front end unlocked (free wheeling hubs), and I stayed in low range to get out of the pickle, and stayed at slow speed, until I was on the level again and THEN I would come to a stop and change out of low range. I never had a problem doing it that way. I am not sure there is a way to mesh the gears without damage, and to tell you the truth I don't think you can get it out of low range under a heavy load anyway. If you did, I think you are going to find metal in the next oil change as you wear away at gear teeth edges... Sad

lone Ranger...
tweedledee and tweedledum

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:37 pm    Post subject: using low range with troopy Reply with quote

Hi Lone Ranger

Thanks for the advice

Our 21' Bushtracker has a weight of 2780kg, and loaded up it is around 3500kg

On the steep grades it is very difficult to get the rig moving with 4litre turbo diesel using hugh range 1st gear, you know I am really stressing the clutch

I will take on board your advice and use the low range box to move to even ground, then change into the high range box

The troopy pulls the van easily up to 90kmh

from TnT
The Hob

State:: QLD
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A trick I've heard of but not done personally.

If caught on a steep hill, takeoff can be aided by slightly letting the rig run back into a jack knife. This should result in the tow vehicle getting a chance to get going before the full weight of the van is applied.

Alan
Theywent Thataway

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi TnT,

We were away for the past few days - sorry for the delayed reply.

Re: taking off at traffic lights...

With the 100 series, we generally use low range first for every take-off, then, instead of going to second, we move to high range whilst still in first (too hard to co-ordinate ratio differences in other gears) while still moving very slowly.

Remember though, we have stopped the centre diff from automatically locking in when selecting Low Range.. With my (correction: its now our SON's) Troopy, that - to my mind- is equivalent to having the free wheeling hubs in the "unlocked" position on those vehicles with them, as Steve suggested.

TTM

Benny

State:: ACT
Current Bushtracker owner:: No
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theywent Thataway wrote:

One thing I don't like about the 100 series (compared to my current Troopy, previous 60 series and hilux with manual Hub locks) is that it would go into 4wd automatically (and wind up) when "Low Range" was selected using the lever.

Hi,

There is a "pin 7 mod" that is easy to do that stops the CDL being engaged when low range is selected.

See http://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series-cruisers/39995-lx470-cabin-air-filter-replacement-diy-3.html#post457327

I have done this to my UZJ100 and it is fantastic; I can engage low range without the CDL locking.

The manual CDL switch still operates the CDL as normal and you don't have to remove any external wiring.

If you need CDL in low range, you have to remember to operate the switch Shocked

Enjoy

Benny
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Friends,

For those of you that want the biggest and the best, that you can tow with your Landcruiser: You do not need some of the high end expense and weight of all the extreme luxury equipment that is currently available. It is getting a bit much, and you do not need IT ALL.... Updated advice May, 2011.

Cowboy here, mad inventer, half a horseman, Admin at Bushtracker, and one of the most well travelled with testing all sizes of tow vehicles and Bushtracker vans.... Listen up, what I am about to tell you is for YOUR own benefit, OK?

Some of you are getting carried away with all the toys and equipment available. You do not need it all, just because you can afford it. Some of you are leaving the high end city luxurious lifestyle, and want to take as much of it into the Outback as possible.. In all fairness, I thing the Bushtracker Lifestyle is one where you will discover some other interests, maybe fishing, maybe fossicking, gemstones or gold, antiques or history, exploring or touring, droving, shooting, stations, Outback arts, all sorts of interests develop in the Bush.. Some of you are trying to pack in too much extra and unnecessary luxury equipment as if you were living in the big city apartment out Bush. It is like a Guy I met lucky enough to live through his second large heart bypass surgery, who said when asked: "Don't live too richly just because you can afford it"...

You do not need dual TV and speaker points and entertainment, and extra kitchens when you already have one inside the van. Open the kitchen window to hear the music outside. Take a grill for the fire or cook inside. You do not need ALL of these extremes. This is particularly true with our most common tow vehicle now, Landcruiser. There is more and more available. It is like with the entertainment systems, some of you do not need $18,000 or more in entertainment, flat screens, satellite, boom boxes, indoor and outdoor speakers and so on. Leave some of the city luxury behind, get an I-pod, plug it into a modest stereo, you do not need EVERYTHING, just because it is available.

With Landcruisers, like the 200 Series that is most popular right now, you just cannot go or NEED an outdoor kitchen, plus slide out and drop down generator mounts, 3kva instead of 2kva Hondas, you do not need to go to these extremes. If you DO WANT these extremes, and do not want to get a larger tow vehicle because the 200 Series is so nice in the city? Then you have one of two choices of going to a smaller van say 20' instead of 21', or do without some of the extremes. Friends, and I say that because I want to look after you for your own best interests, I will not build 22' for the 200 Series any more. The added ball weight lifts off the steering bite in the front as well. Anyone can make a radical move to avoid an accident on the highway, but if you do not have the wheelbase length and steering bite then you may not be able to recover from the radical move on the highway at 100kph.

Now for example, we have a 21' at the Sydney Show. We built it to show off all the extremes possible like: Massive stainless slide out kitchen with sink and stove and stainless slide out contertop, slide out huge bin storage drawer above it, stainless cutlery drawer below it: The works. Yes it is nice, and the outdoor entertainment docking point, gear and toys, this van at 21' loaded with the kind of luxury equipment that is in vogue right now: Weighs 3 ton!!! That is OK for the shows to display all the luxury gear, leathe and the works, that is possible, but: That is just getting too big for a Landcruiser. Yes you can do it, but we are not going to sell it to you. This is for your own good, cut back on all the extremes of luxury (that you don't really need), or go down to 20'... 21' not loaded up with too much of these extremes is OK. 22' is out now with all the luxury equipment available, and 21' is going to be limited. That or get the tow vehicle to match, like Chevrolet or Ford or something else that will tow more and has a longer wheelbase length and brakes to suit the job.

One last note if you do want the larger vans with all the luxury, there is a real Ford, the American built one, that is only 80 cm longer than a 200 Series. It does cost more, but it has half again more luxury and power and brakes and safety, and it tows a long ton more at 4500 kg and 450 ball weight..

In your best interests, Cowboy
Sathler

Current Bushtracker owner:: No
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:13 pm    Post subject: Toyota Landcruiser 100 Series HZ Diesel 1998 Reply with quote

Hi Everyone!

This is our very first post here.

Could anyone tell us which size/model Bushtracker caravan would be suitable
to tow with our 4x4?

Our vehicle is: Toyota Landcruiser 1998 Diesel HZ (Manual) Note: NOT a turbo.

Any help would be very apreciated!

Thank you,

Sathler
Western Australia
Claws

State:: NSW
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a turbo diesel auto 100 series Cruiser and have just purchased a 2000 model 21ft Bushtracker after reading on here that a 21ft is fine to tow behind a Landcruiser.

I am picking it up in a weeks time and have to drive 2500klm's to get it so hope all goes well. The owner has told me the tare is 2280 which seems a bit light on to me for a 21ft van... would this be the correct tare. ATM is 3500.

Also, how do I become a full member with access to the owners forum as I have a ton of questions.

Kind regards, Sean
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My new Friend,
Steven Gibbs here, Director, Bushtracker

First of all understand that many years ago there were NO WAY as many optional equipment options as now... Now with all the new technology options available, it is eazy to load up 300 to 400 kg more than then 17 years ago.. Mind you that does seem light, take it to a weigh bridge and see what has been added all these years..

Secondly yes, this your single most important asset in owning a Bushtracker, for EVERY aspect of Ownership.. Register with the VIN number of the Bushtracker, and you will be admitted to the Owners Section, where there is a whole WORLD of help for you...

Kind regards, Admin
Claws

State:: NSW
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve, thanks for the reply. Well I have travelled to WA, picked up the van and had a bit of a holiday on my way back with my daughter.

As I suspected and actually hoped for, the previous owners mismeasured and the van is actually a 20" which towed beautifully behind the 100 series. I have updated my profile to include the vin number and am looking forward to being admitted to the owners section.

Cheers, Claws
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe send an email to Bushtracker at sales@bushtracker.com with your User Name and your VIN entry and they will do it.

I am on "Iron Horses" on Holiday, having riden across the Old South States from Texas to Daytona Beach Bike Week in Florida with two Friends on Harley Davidsons. I am now back in Texas visiting historical and Battlefield sites in Texas, and will not be back in Australia for two more weeks yet..

Kind Regards, Cowboy in Texas...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> What SIZE OR TYPE OF BUSHTRACKER? All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: