Plenty Highway Update.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> TRAVEL LOGS AND BUSHTRACKERS IN ACTION PICTURE GALLERY
View previous topic :: View next topic  
surfy53

State:: QLD
Current Bushtracker owner:: Yes
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:28 pm    Post subject: Plenty Highway Update. Reply with quote

This is a report from a novice who has only had the BT for six weeks, so in fact I know nothing.
Left Boulia on the 25th June and arrived in Alice S just now, 27th. Boulia to the NT border was OK. Probably traveled at 6o kph at most times. Not many corrugations on the Qld side.
Totally different story on the NT side. At stages the road becomes a two wheeled goat track, so much so that I thought I must have made a wrong turn.......not that there are too many turnoffs.
This is nearly an unusable corrugated mess. The second day we never got over 25 kph, sometimes even as low as 15 kph for a few hours. Go slow, very slow, but some others go like a bat outa' hell.........trying to get it over and done with asap. In some places it was better to drive alongside the road, not on it.
I thought I may have been too cautious but we came across another BT heading east and they had been doing the same speed as us, so that reassured me that we were doing the right thing.
Be aware of the grids, on the approach to them the corrugations usually get worse and there is a jumpup of about 4-5 inches, so take it slow.
A few cattle on the road, but don't worry, they usually pass you OK.
Pulled into Gem Trees and the woman asked me what the road to the border was like, and I told her. She said that three weeks ago it had been graded and was as smooth as a babys b... How things change. Apparently the road conditions can deteriorate in only a few days.
Anyone who does this trip in only two days with a van is mad or doesn't give two hoots.
Tobermorey Station is closed for fuel and camping due to the high cost of insurance, pity, it was a nice place. The two nights we were on the Plenty, we camped rough, at the back of cattle yards and outa' sight.

Well I'll let you know how we cope from Alice to Laverton.
Chris.
Grumblebum and the Dragon

State:: Qld/NSW
Current Bushtracker owner:: Yes
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris, Once you cross into WA the road will be good to very good - unlike the NT side!
John

Grumpy? Whose's grumpy - not the Dragon!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> TRAVEL LOGS AND BUSHTRACKERS IN ACTION PICTURE GALLERY All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: