MIRRORS, MIRRORS, and MIRRORS.... Update 2013
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> Tips on SAFETY WHEN TOWING
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bushtracker
Site Admin

State:: Queensland
Current Bushtracker owner:: Yes
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:25 pm    Post subject: MIRRORS, MIRRORS, and MIRRORS.... Update 2013 Reply with quote

Hello Friends,

There are a lot of mirrors out there, a lot of which we have sold over the years. Now nothing, is perfect, and they have all been getting a bit better over time... This is an important safety issue, in watching the traffic behind you. If you let it jam up, this is a leading cause of accidents as someone gets frustrated and tries to pass you when they should not.. So, watch your mirrors, and here is a good one:

Years ago, one we sold that did well was the ORA. It was good in its day...

Of late we have been carrying the "Clearview" which was a pretty good Product on it own. They are a very good option and are attractive, but not available for all models and not available for the 200 Series until later this year. Anyway, here are the pictures, and no bad reports save one about a little vibration, however they were the pick of the litter for the 100 Series:

Anyway, to the point, here is the latest one that has proven to have the least vibration and the most visibility, and also it is cheaper than the Clearview. It is the "Aussie Truck Mirror" only this Camec version "Heavy Duty Door Mirror" has a larger mirror. The idea came from an early model that required a large magnetic pad on the door and people were worried about the paintwork. This unit buckles to the bottom and seems better yet for less money.

lone Ranger, here trying to look after you "With Your Best Interests in Mind" Wink

Last edited by Bushtracker on Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:55 pm; edited 7 times in total
SMICK

State:: vic
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:54 pm    Post subject: mirrors Reply with quote

I have had the Aussie truck mirrors for five years. Had to replace both mirrors because the original ones are housed in plastic and split on the ball joint on the bottom. 2 metal housed mirrors, from a wreckers fixed that better than new. Less vibration than the plastic mirrors.
You have to be careful where the top fingers slot into the top of the door that they have enough clearance to allow the window to go up and down otherwise you get slide marks in the glass. I know I got them. Dust and grit can also build up between the fingers and glass.
I think they are great mirrors but you just have to take a little care setting them up.
Ski Ali

State:: N.S.W.
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with Smicks. We have the Aussie Truck Mirrors. On a trip to the Lambert Centre (No BT) the rectangular aluminium arm that the mirror is bolted to vibrated out of the housing and i lost the mirror. Had to buy a new one. I fitted a 6mm bolt vertically through the housing and mirror bracket. It can't vibrate out now.
Col
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one we carry now in the Camec Version:
Camec "Heavy Duty Door Mirror"

So far I have not heard any reports like you mention about the Aussie Truck mirrors.

The point is, mirrors are an important part of your Safety Program. Look, some trucks come with great mirrors. The ones on my Mack were incredible, heated, power, and the one on my F-450 King Ranch are even better. The King Ranch Mirrors, are heated, power extend, power adjust, indicators on them, and besides power in and power out they are also power folding against the cab... Wink

I wish ALL OF YOU could have it that good, for sure. All mirrors seem to have some shortcomings, except for the ones on my F-450, but they cost $150,000. Thank God you get a brand new F-450 Super Duty King Ranch with each pair Laughing Laughing

I wish you could all have such good mirrors, as soon as I get a magic wand I will do that.. Since not likely, I am keeping current this Thread, and the best we have so far as of now is the
Camec "Heavy Duty Door Mirror"

When we find better "universal mount" mirrors, I will let you know.... Wink
Loki of Condor

State:: WA
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't give up on the ORA products. I had an Aussie Truck Mirror pair and found that the glass was concave and had a narrow field of view. I changed to the ORA "Big Red".

Look at this photo I lifted off the ORA website:

In this configuration the mirror tends to get blown against the window quite easily by passing trucks. I mounted it with the horizontal arm under the vehicle's mirror and that allowed the support arm to be close to 90 degrees to it providing a much stronger resistance against the wind. It has never had a bad reaction to passing trucks mounted in this way. A little bit of loctite on the bolt, seen in this photo, at the bottom of the vehicle mirror helps too (mounted the way I suggest, the bolt will be on top of the vehicle mirror).

Hope this helps.
Castles

State:: Tasmania
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: MIRRORS, MIRRORS, and one more thing: MIRRORS Reply with quote

Hi all from Tassie.
My first post so hope approaching the task correctly.

Before buying our s/h 18 footer, I saw a highly kitted up rig at the Cotton Tree Caravan Park, Maroochydor, where the owner had a set of mirrors fitted to the bull bar. They where able to be pivoted in when not in use and employed a small gas strut to keep in the extended position.

Can anybody help me contact the owner as I wish to know whether they are a custom or off the shelf product.

I have made inquiries with Clearview but not yet producing one of the telescopic models to fit a Colorado ute till at least first half of 2011.

Regards Alan
niknoff

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what i did,

Experiment with the distance required and have some alluminium flat bar bent the same as the factory arms, easily moved in for tight tracks

Yet to have them powdercoated black - but the ally silver look is growing on me

patent #123456789 Very Happy
07' 19' BushTracker
2015 VX 200, 3800kg GVM Upgrade
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Clearview Mirrors are now available for the 200 Series. They are large, fold, and extend out, and the most cost effective set we have found. Here is how they look on the 100 Series:

Now the same are available for the 200 Series.
These are the best mirror we have found on the market, cost is $600 plus GST and we will stock a few sets for your convenience.

Regards from the lone Ranger

Last edited by Bushtracker on Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Castles

State:: Tasmania
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:53 pm    Post subject: Mirrors Reply with quote

Thanks Nicknoff;
I am attempting to find a solution where I don't have to make irreversible fittings to the bodywork if at all possible.

Regards Alan
Loki of Condor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan & Debbie,

I don't know if this would suit your puposes but this what I did when I had my trayback.

I had 2 pieces of alloy strap bent up like this:

It was bolted to the original mirror arm. This is the left hand side where I experimented with a second mirror (I had a convex and flat mirror)
but it wasn't successful and I stuck with just one mirror on the extended arm on both sides.

It folded back easily enough when we went into shopping centre carparks.

By the way, Mick's fitting is not irreversible, it bolts on and off the two small brackets very easily. You would be able to swap the original and extended arms over easy as pie.
Theywent Thataway

State:: New South Wales
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We bought a cheap set from Supercheap to cover us for pick-up (a strap on unit with 3 separate mirrors incorporated). Dead easy to strap on and take off the standard wing mirrors. No fixing screws or awkward big sticky out things to bump in to or lose on the tracks.

They are also great in that we can easily see the sides of the van, the van wheels at the both sides of the road, and well behind in the lane.

The cost??...$25/pr

How long did they last??...STILL GOING after nearly 13,000km! Love them!

Maz.

dieseltojo

State:: Victoria
Current Bushtracker owner:: No
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi folks,
I stick with the older Ora's, but I modified the bits that go into the window edge with strong stainless steel, replacing the original plastic clips. I actually cut the rubber with 2 small slits in the moulding to allow it to enter between the window and leave a small strip of rubber between the window and the steel.

It is bent in strongly and also provides a good grip.It doesn't vibrate at all.
Searenity

State:: NSW
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:28 am    Post subject: Mirrors Reply with quote

For what it is worth, we have just completed a 25k six months trip around the block - we installed the Clearview mirrors on our 100TD and before departure and believe they are the best aftermarket product we have installed. Absolutely no regrets - anyone want a cheap set of used Aussie Truck mirrors?

cheers

Searenity
niknoff

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Mirrors Reply with quote

A&D Castley wrote:
Thanks Nicknoff;
I am attempting to find a solution where I don't have to make irreversible fittings to the bodywork if at all possible.

Regards Alan

Nothing is changed on the bodywork Alan, just a simple 5 minute job to undo 2 bolts either side & changeover arms if required. I havne't bothered swapping back & forth, i like the extra vision i get even when not towing, so easy to just pull the arms in for narrow tracks or parking in towns.
07' 19' BushTracker
2015 VX 200, 3800kg GVM Upgrade
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, here is a current change, and just like everything else on this Forum:
It is in "Your Best Interests"...

You need to have mirrors organized for Delivery. The cheapest are the Camec large truck style mirror door mount like the ones in Posts above, the best IMO is the Clearview full replacement mirrors. However, we cannot install those on the day of Delivery. If you want them, have them shipped to you from us, or buy them locally and get them installed. One of the better alternatives is the "Camec Heavy-Duty Door Mirrors", and they are cheap at $170, and another one is the "Ora" magnetic base ones as shown in the Post above. Both have some concerns with either the potential of scratching the window or paint behind the magnetic base. You may want to take precautions with either, making sure the clip clears the window glass, and putting clear stick on material where the magnetic base goes on, but both styles work well.

In any case I do not want you rolling out of here with a new Bushtracker on the back, and not have the legal towing mirrors installed. In the case of the Clearview, which IMO is the nicest albeit most expensive, we cannot install them for you so if you choose something like those you need to acquire them in your area or have us ship them to you. I WILL NO LONGER HAVE YOU LEAVE HERE WITHOUT FUNCTIONAL MIRRORS IN PLACE. That is final, my "Duty of Care" so to speak.

It is not good enough to buy them from us, but drive away with them in the box, so make some arrangements or get them installed before you get here or purchase another type here on the day. You may call Peter here to have others made available like the "Camec Heavy-Duty Door Mirrors" or the "Ora" magnetic ones called "Big Red" at about $120 each side.

In Your Best Interests, in this case with safety in mind.... Lone Ranger.
Semper Fidelis
Loki of Condor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any comments from owners of Clearview mirrors regarding blow in from passing trucks or vibrating glass?

cheers
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update on Clearview Mirrors testing in real time travel...

We have a solid bakers dozen in the field now that we have sold, and I have not had any bad reports or complaints. At least another dozen to twenty, have come in here for Service or to pick up there vans, and have only good things to say. Peter and Peter say the comments are to the effect: "Best thing we have ever had" in mirrors.

Further, Peter Thomson has had them in testing in travel to Tasmania and back for about a year, and he swears by them on his 100 Series. The only problem I can see with them, is they are currently available only for 100 Series, 200 Series, and Nissan Patrols...

None have reported any of the problems you ask about Loki....

Regards, Cowboy
Searenity

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:28 am    Post subject: Clearview Mirrors Reply with quote

Hi Stephen,
re "blow in from passing trucks or vibrating glass?" - nothing major recalled after 25k, however like all extended mirrors some vibration can and does occur but I consider the Clearview mirror vibration to be minimal - in comparison to the other "add-on" extended mirrors. The trick is to extend the mirrors only as far as required for a clear view of the van and road behind.

The Clearview mirrors are actually two mirrors, the larger one operates electrically as per your normal side mirrors, the other smaller mirror is manually located and generally remains fixed [the smaller mirror has no vibration]. The smaller mirror is convex and provides excellent side vision.

cheers

Searenity
surfy53

State:: QLD
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased a set of Clearview mirrors last week for my 200 series. They are huge, but easy to self install as they come with an instruction DVD. No more magnetic screw on mirrors from now on. Well worth the money.
Chris.
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for that report Surfy,

My personal thoughts on them are that they are patterned after the power mirros on my F-450. They are adjustable extending out as needed and back in when not, and they fold if brushed up against something. The only difference is mine are power extending, and heater defogging.

This is a good start on the Landcruiser. Now if we could only upgrade the rest of the little Japanese fourby... Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Just kidding, I own three, two 100 Series and a 200 Series. My Effie is waaay overkill for the likes of a Bushtracker, at 15 ton GCM here loaded up to about 13 ton GCM.... Raised up Gooseneck with Bus style cargo bays underneath, a little Big Rig...

The style of the mirrors is about as good as it gets. I do think they are expensive, but the style of them is most functional for towing... They are the best style for a little Big Rig, split big on top and fish eye below just like these on the Ford shown extended and back in.

These Clearview are the same sort of style that works so well on the bigger rigs. It is reduced down to suit the Landcruiser size here shown fully extended out for towing:

You can get cheaper, but I am not sure you can get better. I also don't care for the clip on or magnetic mount, for the wear potential on the paintwork. This has my vote. I am not even sure about how expensive they are when I think the power extending, heated, power folding, indicator, power adjusting mirrors on the F-450 are about a thousand $ more. Rolling Eyes

Anyway, this is not science. I have said that I will tell you if this is an opinion and that is what this is. It is only tempered if you know I do Interstate Travel, Medium Rigid License, ex-Mack horsetruck and Bushtracker, wth valuable horses I have years invested in and Family on board as well...

Cowboy
Podargus

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not impressed with the towing mirrors on the market. I think I can do a better job using standard truck mirrors with aluminium mounts I can fabricate.

I have a 78 series Landcruiser Troopie with a heavy duty bull bar and side bars.From a practical standpoint I can attach a fold back mirror mount on the side bars over the front wheels.These would have to be forward of the windscreen pillars to avoid that blind spot.

Of course the mirrors then create a blindspot of their own.I don't see that as a major problem however I'm not sure whether the powers that be would have the same opinion. I have checked the Queensland Transport website for the regulations on mirror placement,if there is any such animal,without success.The search facility on this website is absolutely pathetic.

Is there anybody who has knowledge of this issue or can point me in the direction of somebody who does?

Cheers - Podargus
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have a look at the Clearview extending ones. My Office Admin Man Matthew has seen them all and has the Clearview extending on his new VX Cruiser towing a 21' Bushtracker for his Wife and Baby. He has just done about a 6000-7000 km trip over Christmas and loves them. ( family and mirrors ) heh he...

Cowboy
kenmarg

State:: new south wales
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:22 pm    Post subject: clearview mirrors Reply with quote

hi. at our last service,at the bushtracker factory. i asked to have a set of clearview mirrors fitted on my landcruiser 200 series. at the full extended position,you can see for miles behind the van. the ability to adjust the position of the mirrors,from inside the cruiser is a great feature. i found that the lower spot mirror takes away any blind spots. in real tight spots on a narrow and brush overhung tracks, the ability to pull the mirror in against the car body is a very positive feature. i think they are the best thing since sliced bread. and thanks to steve and tha boys they fitted them without any scratchs. regards ken brown
Podargus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes,I'm sure the Clearview mirrors are the bee's knees but currently they are made only for specific models. My 78 series Landcruiser is not one of them.Apparently they intend to bring out a universal model but when is not stated.

But that still doesn't answer my question about the legality of mirrors mounted forward of the windsceen pillars.
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Legalities of remote mounting of the mirrors changes with each State of Registration. You will have to go to a Transport Office that has the in house Transport Engineer to get the correct answer to that in your State...

Or, another thought: Maybe you can modify the base mount of the Clearview to suit your 78 Series... Then at least they will retract back in when not needed for towing...

Regards, Admin
kenmarg

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:17 pm    Post subject: clearview mirrors Reply with quote

hi podgrass. i think steve might be on the right track, it shouldnt be to hard to make up a bracket to mount the clearview mirror on. believe me over the years, all the semi sort of truck mirrors,and the ones with straps down to the rock slidders, they all vibrate. ( some a lot and some just a bit ) and the big factor to think on about, "they make your vechile overwidth" regards ken brown (ps) a phone call to clearview, might be a big help. there are a lot of troupies running around.
notes1952

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes we also have a troopy and when I spoke to Clearview about 4mths ago there were no plans for mirrors to suit.
Jeff&Narelle@Alice

State:: NT
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All
On my troopy I fitted a set of mirrors off a Landcruiser Ute. I move the arm forward and have the mirror close to the door when not towing. I replaced the Phillips head screws under the mirror with hex head S/S screws to make adjusting easier and I keep the necessary spanners in the glove box.
Regards
Jeff
kenmarg

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:16 am    Post subject: mirrors in front of windscreens Reply with quote

hi. when i owned and drove my trucks. all kenworth bonneted trucks have the door mirrors mounted so they are in front of the windscreen. i have registered 5 new kenworth bonneted trucks,with the qld dept of transport. the only drama was if they measured the width of the vechile. regards ken brown
Grumblebum and the Dragon

State:: Qld/NSW
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought some Clearview mirrors - manual ones as there is nothing fancy electrical wise on my 2000 100 series Std (but tricked up) cruiser. They were supplied by BT over a year ago and I fitted them.

I have tried a variety or mirrors including the Aussie Truck Mirror models and was frustrated by all of them. The Clearviews are a tad expensive but hey - what price safety? and they are dead easy to fit. They can also be adjusted to see your tyres. I love em!

John

Grumpy? Whose's grumpy - not the Dragon!!
Philip Wilson

State:: Qld
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. It's always good to see whats behind you

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
grumpyolephartz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notes1952 wrote:
Yes we also have a troopy and when I spoke to Clearview about 4mths ago there were no plans for mirrors to suit.

I went to Clearview today and had a warranty claim and had both mirrors upgraded from a manufacturing fault that Mike acknowledged from the earlier casting manufacturer.

I had previously been told by a friend with a Troopy, that he had Clearview mirrors so he is supplying them now. Laughing He has them on a Troopy and also a 200 Series

I think Mike is driving his customer recommendations by the service he provides and congratulations to him for that. It is uncommon in today's world Cool

Cheers, John
Podargus

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everbody for your replies to my original enquiry.

I've solved the problem by building my own aluminium mounts and using the smallest West Coast mirrors I could find (Britax).They fold back by loosening an 8 mm wing nut and can be removed by the withdrawal of the one 8mm stainless bolt.I've road tested them for vibration over a stretch of our bitumen on blacksoil "roads".Passed that test so I reckon they might do.The existing Toyata mirrors which have survived 10+ years of scrubby tracks remain in place.

Not the most elegant setup but the Troopie is not an elegant vehicle.
And they don't cost a small fortune just to get smashed up in the bush.
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the Clearview Mirrors.... But my 2012 Sahara has parking assist and cameras in the mirrors for side view with range finders and alarms.. They also power fold. Clearview is coming out with indicator versions, but the cameras I am not going to do without in tight manoeuvering cameras for positioning vans and trailers into tight spots...

So, this is the next best thing, to keep the integrity of the orginal mirrors, folding, indicators, power adjust with Driver memory positions... and cameras: This is UGLY, but it works and it will do, the original ORA mirrors.

No, it is not pretty. However, the mirror has two thumbscrews and slides out of place to leave only the bracket when parked in the wrong side of town or at a Mall or something.. Wink

If the passing truck or Road Train, or a stormy gust of wind, collapses them too easy, I will hook an elastic rope like we use on the stone guards on a hook to the (coming) Bullbar.. The door opens, the elastic will give, door closes, forward pressure on the mirror to hold it in place. The same cord we use for stone guards will do just fine. Not a solution for everyone, but with the Sahara it keeps the toys intact.. Inexpensive, and there is a spare set in my Office...

You can read about the 2012 GXL, VX, and Sahara, options and reviews in TIPS ON TOW VEHICLES. I have now owned all three doing R&D on your behalf...

Cheers, Admin...
Neill & Jude

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve

What make are these and where are they retailed? We have been looking at Clearview but these could be an option to trial first.

Neill & Jude
Delivery on 19 April getting closer!
dieseltojo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Neill & Jude,
AS mentioned above they are Ora, link provided.

http://www.oraproducts.com.au/mirrors.html
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hold your horses a little bit here...

I have ordered an option that clamps on the outside of the mirror tube and goes down to a magnetic square on the door. It will come off when you slide out the mirror for when not in use. This should subdue the vibration, and for me, stop the collapsing under strorm wind load in the rain...

This is incidentally the same when a road train passes... Your mirrors can collapse against the body if you have that sort and most are these days. Mine even more as on the new Sahara they are power folding. Wink Rolling Eyes Shocked

Will include pictures and results when they arrive, and will stock a set here for convenience for you Owners. It is not a money making thing, but a Service.. Feel free to go direct, but you will have shipping and we will be the same price as going direct.. With indicators, power folding, and side view cameras, I need to add on instead of replacing my mirrors, hence why the "no" to the Clearview...

Cheers, stg
Theywent Thataway

State:: New South Wales
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our $25 set from Supercheap are still going strong........ Embarassed

Maz.

Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, here is my latest "Mad Scientist" inventiveness with the Ora Mirrors...

The aim is to preserve the cameras, and indicators, and remote adjustment of the stock 2012 Landcruiser Sahara mirrors. I mounted them upside down, and since the original mirrors can fold in or get blown in, I have added this brace that mounts on a magnetic square base...

The upside down, is to get the arm and the base lower, out of the field of vision in the stock mirrors, while keep the function of the camera for tight manoeuvring situations....

There is little to no wind noise, and this works well. The whole assembly will slide out of the bottom mount, and there is a knob on the magnetic base to pull it off. Just make sure you clean the paint under before attaching it again, free of dust or dirt, wipe it down..

The only peculiarity is adjustment. There is a slight flex downward at 110 kph, so you have to adjust them on the fly, but they work and are fairly inexpensive...

The only modification besides the re-assembly of the existing parts, it the rubber pads I made for the adjustor so it does dig into the paint as shown below.. The adjustment parts hit the paint as the curvature of the top is more extreme... Works well, just two little rubber bits...

It is less than half the price of the Clearview Mirrors, and preserves the cameras. Mind you, the Clearview are far more functional and attractive, these are a bit ugly, but it works with the cameras for tight manoeuvring... Wink

Regards from the lone Ranger
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, two bits of news... One on my underslung Ora per the above topic, and one on the latest Clearview.

First of all, on the Ora mounting I have invented, here is the recent addition. The knurled knob comes loose in time and the whole mirror went loose with only the bottom magnetic support holding it on.. So what I have done is add the little rubber bits to protect the paint, plus the stainless nuts to lock the knurled knob in place... As in the second picture on the right:

Further, this stop gap is coming to a close... Clearview have ordered the 20 pin plug for the cameras and with OEM cameras we are on the verge of having the Clearview, indictors, and cameras on my Guinea Pig R&D Sahara.... Wink

On da road wit da Ranger...
Tands

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bushtracker wrote:
Further, this stop gap is coming to a close... Clearview have ordered the 20 pin plug for the cameras and with OEM cameras we are on the verge of having the Clearview, indictors, and cameras on my Guinea Pig R&D Sahara.... [/color][/b][/i]Wink

On da road wit da Ranger...

Hi Steve, this was some time ago now, is there any news on this development from Clearview? If they have set up the cameras etc, do they still fold-in electronically?
Peter Thomson

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi T&S,

Steve has asked me to answer this on his behalf.
We work closely with Clearview and in fact we have located a camera for them to try a fitment into the mirrors. I will be sending these to them next week hopefully.

They have now located a plug with enough spare terminations for the camera wiring but it will still be some time as there is work to do in the camera/computer interface.

I am confident that we will have some answers before the end of the year.

Regards,

Peter Thomson
Tands

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Peter.
I'm interested too because I need my 200 series to have electronically folding rear view mirrors. I spoke to Clearview some time ago about the likelihood they will include this function and they returned a resounding "NO."
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, there is a new Player on the Market for mirrors.

These do not vibrate as much as the Ora type, being wind tunnel stabilized and fixing to the metal of the original mirrors; and you still get to keep your original mirrors with their advantages..

They clip on the existing like the Ora, only they are aerodynamic stbilized and larger..

Not only that, but they are cheap as chips at $150... And supposedly do not vibrate as much. Matthew will have an R&D report on them after the 2000+ kms going to the Sydney Show with his VX Landcruiser.

He, like myself, likes the stock mirrors, so this is an add on that works.

On the road with the Aussie Ranger... Wink
onthemove

State:: vic
Current Bushtracker owner:: Ordered
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will be interested to hear Mathew's review.

I was thinking about a smaller version of the Milenco mirrors - until i was talking to a guy while his car was idling and I couldnt believe the shake they had going!!

Admittedly they were on a Falcon Embarassed but I thought these would be really bad on the move..... Very Happy
nelsonthomas

State:: gujarat
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ad to buy a new one. I fitted a 6mm bolt vertically through the housing and mirror bracket. It can't vibrate out now.
D&T

State:: Euphoric
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how did these mirrors go on the Sydney trip?

Cheers
Richard
mattkurvink
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and sorry for the late reply... It has been a busy week since returning home from the Sydney caravan show and am only now starting to catch up.

So how did the mirrors go? Well, in short they went well (for a clip-on mirror) Very Happy

Compared to other types of clip on type mirrors I would have to say that the vibration is quite similar to others I have used such as the Ora so no benefit there.

However where they showed a significant benefit to me on this last trip was that they did not blow in once. With previous mirrors used, I have experienced the mirrors blowing in and also on one occasion, the mirror nearly blowing off all together when passing oncoming larger vehicles such as trucks.

The streamlined shape of the mirror seems to provide better windage and the mounting system showed no movement at all.

I wouldn't say they are as good as the Clearview when towing, but If you are looking for a clip-on type mirror that is removable when not towing, these certainly get my thumbs up.
Grumblebum and the Dragon

State:: Qld/NSW
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My vote goes to the Clearview, great bit of gear. Expensive yes, but for better performance and safety they cannot be beaten. Mine are manual - everything on my Landcruise is manual - less to breakdown in the desert. We have had them fitted for over two years and love em. And, they do not need adjusting whether it is the Dragon driving or just me.

John

Grumpy? Whose's grumpy - not the Dragon!!
Qlden

State:: Qld
Current Bushtracker owner:: Ordered
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
New to the forum and looking for more up to date info on towing mirrors.

There appears to be another player in the market, Brunsgaards.

Do any owners have them or had experience of them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> Tips on SAFETY WHEN TOWING All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: