200 SERIES, TOP MOST COMMON BUSHTRACKER TOW VEHICLE 2009-14

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> Tips on TOW VEHICLES
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bushtracker
Site Admin

State:: Queensland
Current Bushtracker owner:: Yes
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:44 am    Post subject: 200 SERIES, TOP MOST COMMON BUSHTRACKER TOW VEHICLE 2009-14 Reply with quote

The 200 Series Turbo Diesel Landcruiser has it, hands down, no contest....

I mean like maybe 80% of all Bushtrackers are going out behind the 200 Series. There are a others, like the big American Utes for over 21' or for a very heavily loaded 21'.. And there are the odd custom vehicles, Isuzu, Rover, hand full of Discos, and Nissans... But the 200 Series has the top position for the full sized vans in the most common range of 19'-21'.

The second place, is probably still Landcruiser, with the V-8 Turbo diesel in the Ute, and the Workmate small troop carrier style 4 door, and the Troopcarrier itself. Second place would be between the Ute and the Workmate. And then there are a few smaller tow vehicles for the smaller Bushtrackers, but again not very common as most people upgrade. It is not just for the larger power and capacity, the larger diesels also get better fuel economy when towing. Like the 200 Series large Twin Turbo, when towing gets better fuel economy that the smaller Prado, and so on.

I have to admit, despite my reservations on the complexity of the 200 Series Twin Turbo Diesel Automatic, it has proven to be an OUTSTANDING success. I mean failures down in the very smallest of ratio, and the newer models even better. I have now had two of them myself, and upgraded to the VX for the leather, back up camera, sunroof, electric seats, and the rest, for testing and the Missus to drive, and I continue to be impressed since my first 200 Series, this GXL, here shown in this picture in 2008..

It does have its limitations, and if you want a loaded up 21' Bushtracker with a larger Lifestyle with everything, and a fishing boat, motor, and the rest, then the 200 Series is past its design engineering.. And in going far into the Outback, I would still get some kind of vehicle diagnostics system to troubleshoot it myself, per other Topics in this category, but I am impressed with the reliability above all initial concerns. Further, the complexity has been very robust, and if you are buying a new one, after you have locked in the price get them to throw in the Toyota 5 year Factory Warranty for 150,000 kms.

This is the most common tow vehicle in our most commons sized range, hands down, no competition. Even Matthew has traded in his Disco for a VX here in the office, as he does most of the Shows. He has a 21' family Bushtracker, and has to watch his loading, but that is the mainstream choice by far. Never before has one brand of tow vehicle been so dominant...

Kind regards from the Mad Scientist here, Cowboy....

Last edited by Bushtracker on Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:39 am; edited 7 times in total
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well here it is, 2012, and the "Proof is in the Pudding"....

The Director of Bushtracker (duh, ya me) is going with another new 200 Series V-8 Diesel for Bushtracker display and R&D. In three years of study, the Toyota V-8 Twin Turbo has completely closed the gap and is without a doubt THE top most common and most popular tow vehicle.

It used to be the American trucks held the edge for those wanting more power and fuel economy, but now in vans up to 21', the Toyota V-8 Twin Turbo Diesel has completely taken over the mainstream with very few exceptions. We hardly see a Silverado or Ford in here except on very large vans or very heavily loaded payloads for hobbies like boats or quads and such...

Despite all the electronics and my concerns, they have proven to be AMAZINGLY robust. In testing them, three almost four years ago I bought a new GXL. After doing the paces with it, last year I bought a VX for the Lifestyle quality in leather, back up camera built into the dash, The KDSS Suspension that is standard in the VX, and a few other handy luxury bits like electric seats and so on. Besides the other goodies, I think I can justify the upgrade from the GXL to the VX, for the KDSS Suspension that auto disconnects the sway bars so their is far longer wheel travel and traction. Besides that, I am very partial to the leather interior, and the full electric seats actually go lower for more headroom for a tall person.. It has proven to be the tops and certainly worth considering for the convenience of its features. My Wife is so fond of it and She will not give it up. Besides good value: Trully, they have held their value more than just about any other vehicle I have owned.

Now, I have been so impressed with both of the 200 Series I have done the R&D testing on, that I have ordered the new 2012 Sahara since I have lost the VX to my Wife. This may be just too much, as while I can justify the VX for about $15,000 more than the GXL just for the luxury and leather and the rest, the Sahara is about another $15,000 up again. I just thought that some of the rumoured features might be worthwhile for me in long hauls to the Shows. Panavision 4 way cameras, on each mirror plus front and back, would help position vans at the Shows, and the fridge in the front would be handy for food and drinks on the long hauls.. I will have a review, but this is going to be THE Bushtracker vehicle parked in front of my Office, going to Shows, weighbridge, and Interstate. Some of the other rumoured features are power opening of the rear from the front, handy in the rain and open by the time you get there, steering wheel auto folding out of the way, power folding mirrors for tight spots, 4 way zone climate control, and a lot more, but we will have to wait and see.

I will give an honest appraisal if it is worth the extra money in practical terms, but bigger screen, sat nav, and all will be fun. I am quite sure I can justify the move up from GXL to VX, but I am in doubt once you have a VX if I can justify the Sahara expense.. In fact I doubt it.. However, we were treated right on price to get one sitting in front of Bushtracker, and I will give an honest appraisal, due in a few weeks as the first cab off the rank so to speak...

Without a doubt, the 200 Series has proven to be more capable, and more reliable, that I would have first guessed.. Now it has taken over. Other than a few early engines that had the wrong bevel on the top ring and required rebuilds, after that early teething problem the 200 Series is surpassing all expectations.

At your Service,
Semper Fidelis,
Cowboy
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, great Service at Ken Mills Toyota, about 10 mins from Bushtracker, and they got me what they say is the first 2012 200 Series TT Diesel Sahara on the road in Australia at 4pm on Friday..... This will be the Bushtracker Company Tow Vehicle (mine, hint hint) Laughing

I must say, I have been driving trucks too long... I had NO IDEA things could be so luxurious now. The new 2012 is a bit different looking, inside an out, and I am not quite used to it yet nor have any clue what the Bull Bars are going to look like... Look, I do not want this to sound like a skite, this is a fair assessment of the 200 Series that is our most common tow vehicle now... But each new level, certainly is attractive, from GXL to VX to Sahara..

I am not concerned with all the chrome down the side, and the flash new interior, but I have to say I am extremely impressed with some of the features. There will be more on this as I have time, but here are some pictures with my I-Phone, on 4-way camera access, front, rear and under mirrors all four sides, rear backing up, with range finders that actually move the way your steering..

There are a lot of Tizzy Bits, and I don't care about most of the luxury toys, but there are few things like the cameras that will make tight spots a bit more accessible... Particularly in tight spots moving vans around in the Shows and off road in tight places. You have four camera shots, front and rear, side forward and side back...

A few other thing that really impressed me: There is power access, power opening of the back both open and closed off the interior dash or on the remote pad, and Wow is that going to be cool in the rain... Wink There is a cold box between the front seats, full Nav in the dash, air conditioned and heated seats, yea air conditioned seats... I am not sure I can justify the added cost over the VX, but if you are not on a Budget it sure is nice. Also, there is three memory positions for three Drivers, of both seats and power steering wheel position, and mirrors... And when you switch it off the Steering wheel powers up and into the dash for easy exit and access. Shocked I really value this, as when I switch out with my Wife I get jammed in trying to get into the 200 Series. This way, I push the botton on the door and it is all set up for my. That is a valuable asset for my personal tow vehicle...!

There is a lot more, 5 way adjustable off-road settings, a lot of refinements that are nice, but maybe not necessary. Look, the 200 Series Twin Turbo Diesel has proven to be the tops, and I can justify the VX over the GXL for the options talked about. While not necessary, the VX is great value for money. Here in the Sahara it is a bit over the top but I for one feel it is worth while. There are about a dozen very nice features that will impress. I think the VX ran a little quieter than the GXL, and the Sahara a little quieter yet.

I must not like it much, I cannot get out of it.. Over 920 kms in the first 24 hours?? Yea, Rig Junkie (Motor sport Enthusiast)... This would be the nicest Luxury Car that I have ever owned, and a great diesel 4x4 as well. On Monday it goes back in the Shop at Ken Mills Toyota for the complete Tow Package. All for now..

Kind regards, Steven Gibbs, Director

Last edited by Bushtracker on Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:38 pm; edited 3 times in total
Readytotravel

State:: NSW
Current Bushtracker owner:: No
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve do you find the cameras a little hard to use, the front camera just seems "wrong". I don't like it for using it as a front guide when parking etc with the weird angle view it creates. Maybe something after some time I may get use to it?
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello "ReadytoTravel,"

I am trying to give an unbiased review on all the Tow Vehicles I do R&D on, with fact and not opinion if you know what I mean.. It is not a Skite, I have owned and done R&D on four Toyotas, two Chev Silverados, two Super Duty Ford proper full Imports, and two trucks, in the past 15 years... In the Office we have also done the Disco II and III and a Bushtracker Company Rodeo and I bought a Navara now given over to one of my Daughters.. I try to give this a fair representation for the benefit of you Owners..

I personally thought the four way cameras would be good for tight positioning vans at the Shows, and just last night I had the opportunity to use them. The Cruiser was getting into a tight spot, and the warning beeper was on for close distance on the drivers side front corner and I was able to see that I still had that 6" of clearance to make the tight corner into a vehicle to park... Instead of the Wife getting out in the rain and waving me in.. Wink

Yes, it does take some getting used to, but I can see the Parking lines, reverse turning radius of the turn, and all side clearances. Matthew, my Office Manager, bought a 2011 VX about 6 months ago. He is down at the Melbourne Show and right now sorely misses not having that next grade up. He was pulling into a tight parking spot and there was low hanging concrete planter just out of his vision down low, that scraped down the side of his VX. I can see how that could be handy in a tight spot out west.

Mind you, I want to emphasize that all of these niceties are not necessities by any means. The best value for money for a Bushtracker Tow Vehicle in the Toyota 200 Series TD, probably remains the GXL with the cloth seats and the basics of power windows, door locks, and such. If you are not on a budget, the rest is just pure luxury that some will want to do without.. You don't need leather seats, and the built in back up camera, and necessarily the KDSS suspension, sunroof and the rest, but it you can afford it then it my study it is a good upgrade in the VX. The same goes with the extremes of this Sahara. Auto wipers that adjust to the rain level, head lamp washers, and whole lot of other things I find fun but unnecessary. However, there are some really handy things in this top package.

I wanted only a few things with this last upgrade to the Sahara, and have discovered that I really like some others. The remote control opening of the back end is a real plus for me, loading and unloading in the rain. The air conditioned seats will be appreciated by me in the hot weather, and the heated seats in winter. The Lens in the LED High Beam lights, make add on driving lights almost redundant. The four way cameras, will be very usefull in tight spots moving vans around. I will also appreciate the folding power mirrors at times. As I walk up to Sahara in the dark, the interior lights turn on before I get there so there is no Boogey Man hiding in the back seat, then it auto unlocks as soon as I touch the vehicle. Things like that might appeal to others, particularly a Lady on a dark night. If you are not on a budget, the range finders front and rear for parking alarms, are good out Bush too, and the point is that while not necessary they are very nice to have. So yes, you will get used to and use the cameras and not for normal driving as much as the unseen tight spots..

I already have the 1000 kms on since Friday, so it can go back to Ken Mills Toyota in Nambour (they are worth the plug) so they can put on the Tow Package and do the Break in Service.. And one more big thing: I think you can negotiate the Warranty, in my case a full Toyota 5 year Warranty, 150,000 kms, Good Value... Oh what a feeling...!

Kind regards, Steven Gibbs, Director
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, here is a big one I have discovered for the 2012...!

In the normal 200 Series, people are putting on Driving Lights, and sometimes the Warn Winch control box is left proud sitting on top of the Bullbar instead of tucked away down on the inside with access to the remote from the top.. Here shown is the 2011, set up just like Matthew's VX, and this blocks the air flow enough in the hot weather to have the cooling fan come on more when towing...

Our VX that Matthew is driving, has exactly this set up. The blockage to air flow seems to cause the cooling fan to come on more and that causes a lot of noise and a noticeable fuel economy drop.

On the new 2012, they have put a HID light of for brights, and with a "Lensor" style magnifying lens over the headlight, it almost seems like you have Driving Lights on. It is so bright at 500 metres of big rig light, that I do not feel the Driving lights are so important. Looks like this:

The LEDs under, are a common Euro Luxury car thing, and it does catch your eye in the daytime so it is a good safety feature. But the Lensor style thick lens and HID headlight is a vast improvement and not to be overlooked..

R&D on the 200 Series from 2011 back: For the rest of you 200 Series Owners, if the fan coming on bothers you and the resultant drop in fuel economy bothers you, here is the solution: You can relocate that remote winch box down on the side end of the winch, works a treat. And while no one has done it yet, I would put smaller driving lights in place of the fog lights in the Bullbar.. That clears up the air flow to your cooling system, that is if it bothers you... We may do just that to Matt's VX.

Here is one more great idea: Ken Mills Toyota here, puts in a complete Tow Package with the seven pin plug and Toyota's wiring loom for a very reasonable price with the Redarc brake controller at the 1000km Service. Not only does it look good, but works a treat. You push the red button to pull the brakes on manually, the LED lights up when the brakes are applied, and you dial up the braking power with that same red button. Everything else is tucked away out of sight. I did it with the first 1000 km Service.. Also: The Services on the Warranty with the 200 Series are really cheap, something like $250 dollars from memory, that is parts, oil, the lot. Negotiate with them, but the whole package was attractively priced and well done.. Here are pictures, all but the hitch mount which is supplied by Bushtracker...

At your Service.... Cowboy

Last edited by Bushtracker on Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
Loki of Condor

State:: WA
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Redarc looks good Steve. I have a Prodigy in my GXL but putting one in a VX or Sahara is not easy because of the knee airbags in front of the driver's left knee (the GXL doesn't have them).

Also, a suggestion: I have turned the tow plug bracket upside down in that spot and put the Anderson plug on the flat surface of the upturned bracket.

I'm on my best behaviour trying to curry favour with Senior Management so I can get approval for an upgrade later in the year.

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Loki and others, I have not seen a 2012 VX yet, you have to do your own study on the difference and how it suits you. I know most of the goodies that are practical are on the VX. The Sahara has a few things that I personally wanted, like the cold box in the front, the four way cameras on sides and front and back, air conditioned seats, and the remote control opening of the back for access in the rain when loading or unloading. I don't know which of the little niceties I am enjoying that are on the 2012 VX for instance, that are not in their Brochure. For example: 240v 100watt inverter built in, Interior lights illumination as you approach with the key entry with you, and mirrors tilting down about 10 degrees in reverse, mirrors folding option, and range finders and distance alarm on all four sides and parking alarm on reversing camera, things like that. You will have to see if enough of the goodies are useful to you personally, for the upgrades at hand. Some things are not important to me, nice but not important, like for instance, I am not portly enough to need the steering wheel to power fold up and out of the way each time you turn the motor off, fun, cool, but not necessary for me; that kind of thing... Look at the options between the two for the evaluation to suit your own Lifestyle.. Hope this is a help...

Cheers, Steven Gibbs

Kaznjez

Current Bushtracker owner:: Ordered
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve, is the Redarc brake controler proportional or does it apply just to the preset value? Wink

Hello KaznJez, Steven Gibbs here, Admin, Bushtracker... First of all:
WELCOME TO THE FORUM, POST NUMBER 1!!!

Now to answer your question, no... However, I set the brakes up for even a moderate speed to maximum braking on the dial without skidding the tyres. I am not sure the proportional braking is going to effectively give you any more. We tow Professionally, and Matthew and I have both chosen the Redarc.... It is so easy to change to conditions with the far easier access to the dial on the button, that it is a different style but I am not sure if any less in function.. If you run with maximum braking without skidding, all the proportional braking would do is skid the tyres and not necessarily give you any more braking power.. It could even be detrimental on a curve... I will actually play with it more in rain or gravel as the access to the braking power is so easy to play with, down by my right hand, it might even have more advantages than the proportional disadvantage in real use. That is just an opinion, but I think it is accurate. The other styles are harder to change to conditions and I did not bother.. This is so easy of access, I play with it for each hookup to get it to maximum braking at the moderate speed, and you cannot do much better than that:

Maximus

State:: Western Australia
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve

I am awaiting my new Toyota 200 ( got rid of the Silverado) and would like you to give me details of the HW hitch you have on your new truck...
I do not think my old ring and pintle will suit the new set up.

Cheers

Maximus, that is the new HR Forged unit for the 200 Series. And depending your van, you can utilize the D.O. Hitches shown in the Owners Section. Please refer all other discussion on those hitches to there.

On a separate note, the capabilities of this new 200 Series, seem to be so good that it has dramatically slowed the appearance of the F-Series Super Duty, and Silverados showing up here as Bushtracker Tow Vehicles. Now those larger tow vehicles seem to be reserved for those carrying big toys, like quad bikes, big boats, campers on the back and the like. That and of course for for the larger vans heavily loaded from 21' and up.

Best Regards, Admin, half a Horseman...heh he

Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, what to do about extended mirrors, when you have cameras in the new Sahara? Per the Topic on Mirrors in TIPS ON SAFETY WHEN TOWING, The Clearview mirrors are the most functional and attractive, extending, and now come with the option of indicators built into them.. Wink

They are the best looking and working, but I like the cameras for tight manoeuvring, so the Clearviews are out for the new Sahara Bushtracker tow vehicle... The aim is to preserve the cameras, and indicators, and remote adjustment of the stock 2012 Landcruiser Sahara mirrors. So, I took the ORA, and I mounted them upside down, and since the original mirrors can fold in or get blown in, I have added this brace that mounts on a magnetic square base...

The upside down, is to get the arm and the base lower, out of the field of vision in the stock mirrors, while keep the function of the camera for tight manoeuvring situations....

There is little to no wind noise, and this works well. The whole assembly will slide out of the bottom mount, and there is a knob on the magnetic base to pull it off. Just make sure you clean the paint under before attaching it again, free of dust or dirt, wipe it down..

The only peculiarity is adjustment. There is a slight flex downward at 110 kph, so you have to adjust them on the fly, but they work and are fairly inexpensive...

The only modification besides the re-assembly of the existing parts, it the rubber pads I made for the adjustor so it does dig into the paint as shown below.. The adjustment parts hit the paint as the curvature of the top is more extreme... Works well, just two little rubber bits...

It is less than half the price of the Clearview Mirrors, and preserves the cameras. Mind you, the Clearview are far more functional and attractive, these are a bit ugly, but it works with the cameras for tight manoeuvring... Wink I just LOVE the cameras, so this is the best I can do for now..

Regards from the lone Ranger
Maximus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve

What are your thoughts on chips in the Landcruiser ??
I have always felt that they may cause more problems than advantages.

Cheers
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Maximus,
Look, in R&D I have had three of these to give fair reviews, a GXL, VX, and now the Sahara and I keep coming up to the same conclusion: It is just not necessary for one.

Further, the Sahara is so much fun to drive, just for motorsport I would like to do the Chip up and a Scorpion three inch stainless exhaust, but there is a huge obstacle. With this purchase I got them to throw in a five year Toyota Factory Warranty.... Now besides not being necessary, if anything went wrong with the engine you would be on your own.... I would like to play, but like my Warranty feeling better...

Kind regards from the road... Ranger
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May 12 already, where does the time go...

Reviewing the new 200 Series, I keep being impressed by the Sahara. Little things keep popping up, that I had not anticipated, and all of them are a real treat. I can certainly say now, the differences over the VX are a good value at least to me. Certainly not necessary, but if you are not on a budget then a very good value...

Standouts to me? The power opening and power closing rear door is a treat every day. Second standout would be the 6 way camera action, everytime you are in a tight spot you appreciate that with the alarms changing as you get from close to tooo close! The air conditioned and heated seats and fold away steering wheel are a treat, but the biggest is the cameras and range finding alarms on the big screen that tell you how close you are getting in the tight spots...

Incidently, this new engine is quieter than the early models.. Further, on a trip to Brisbane Friday, I was getting 10.3 lts per 100 km. That is really something for a diesel hardly run in with only 5,400 kms on it... Exclamation

Waiting on ARB for the release of Bullbar, winch, and rear drawer system going in. As well, I am going to mount the slide out drop down mount for the fridge on sideways. Pictures to follow. It will roll out and then drop down to the tailgate, a treat!!

On the road Ranger...
Loki of Condor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,

Your last comment on the Redarc brake controller was back in March. Have you been able to further assess any difference between it and the proportional types (Prodigy) since then?

I have seen comments about it pulsing or grabbing, have you experienced anything like that?

Cheers
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Loki,

No, no problems, but why I do not recommend it is it is better in the hands of a Professional to run it.. You have to set it to suit road conditions. It is smaller and easy to fit, and suits us, but I do not recommend it for the average Owners..

There is no proportional braking, so you have to have it set to the maximums of the road conditions without breaking loose or "locking up"... Then there is not much practical difference. Light braking light on the pedal gives you the van maximum braking on its own. Maximum like ABS without breaking loose, but you have to fiddle with it to suit the conditions.

Regards, stg
Maximus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephen

The Prodigy is a perfect fit in the ashtray space..

Cowboy here, mad Inventer, half a Horseman..... Right on Maximus, that is certainly what I would recommend, and in the right spot as well...
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again T&S,
And the rest of you Bushtracker Owners and Visitors.. Here is the outcome of my best analysis of gear available: Why I selected this gear, and what I am doing for this latest R&D.

The ARB Bullbar came in beautifully, colour matched to the Sahara... I think it suits the body.

This a far stronger unit, if you actually need it when hitting a fair sized roo, than the stock Toyota bars. The ARB bar is reinforced and holds out the impact area from the body. IMO it is the best on the market... Also, the Warn winch control head can be mounted under the bar, you do not need it up on top blocking the air flow. You can mount it under with access through the hand area to plug and unplug the wireless remote or manual control. This is better than blocking the airflow with the control head up on top.

Now for best utilization of the rear for storage, this will be my third vehicle outfitted with the drawer system, and this is the best one yet. The drawers lock open with 16 lbs force required to close them, so they stay open even if you are on an incline. The side pockets have a large thumb turn knob to open them up, and it is a very well made unit.

I am waiting for a D.S. 60, a drop down slide out for the fridge unit. Because of the fully loaded drawers for expeditions, and the fridge freezer, and the heavy slide out that drops down 300mm onto the tailgate, there is a bit of weight in here. I have opted for the 400 kg rear springs system, as the 200 kg springs would be woefully overloaded when I had a Bushtracker on the back. You can read about this R&D here in this Category in the Topic on 200 Series suspension upgrades, with all the progress and possibilities in our R&D...

On the road with the Ranger, doing the Scientific Analysis on Tow Vehicles for your benefit. Anyone can give you an opinion, but I put my money on the line, equip and tow with them long term, and give the reports to you "With Your Best Interests in Mind"... Wink
Tands

State:: QLD
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bushtracker wrote:
Hello T&S,

We forget all to quick, it is not about Toyota, it is about the massive earthquake and Tsunami that resulted in massive disruption to the support parts and manufacture... There is a huge backlog, and just now getting back up to speed to catch up...

The pictures of this new R&D trip, should be interesting, and may result in DVD Number Four... Wink I will have the first pictures of the new colour matched Bullbar, Drawer system, winch, and suspension later this week.

Best regards from the Mad Scientist, testing testing testing... Exclamation

Thanks again Steve this is a wonderful resource and a mine of information.

By the way, Toyota called and said October was out, perhaps November but when it came down to it they couldn't even guarantee we'll have it this year.
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, here is the latest, and it works a treat.

This is the latest Drop Down Slide Out... It will carry 60 kg, and it operates smoothly:

This is the 80? litre fridge with a freezer side, that I have had in three vehicles living out in the rain and it is still going strong... Push the lever on the left and pull it out with the handle.

You rotate the handle up and it drops down to a user friendly level to access either compartment, fridge or freezer... Wink

This completes the major mods to the Sahara. ARB colour coordinated BullBar, hidden controls for fan cooled 12,000 Warn, Xenon HID lights, Drawer systems for storage, and now this Drop Down Slide Out for the freezer and fridge unit.. All sitting on 400 kg springs rear and 100 kg over in front. Its first Outback romp is scheduled for the end of next week, a ten day trip to test a new air suspension. I will have reports on our return the end of Sept...

As to the Sahara, after having the GXL for a couple of years, now the VX for over a year, and now the Sahara, I had someone mention that they thought I did not like the Sahara in previous year... That was then, this is now. What I said in past years, is the Sahara had luxury bits, but even last year they did not have the dual tanks and so on. This is the first year, that the Sahara makes sense with a few options that I clearly think are worth while..

Besides the VX options of leather and back up camera, this Sahara has full Nav. Also a back up camera with range finders and alarms, six way camera action with proximity alarms, three memory positions for different Drivers for steering wheel, mirrors, and seat.. Dual tanks now this year, Remote control opening of the back end, on the dash, door, and key ring (handy in the rain). Further a few more things I valued like a refrigerator between the front seats, power folding steering wheel, and air conditioned seats and four way climate control... These are the basic things that appealed to me but there is more.

The GXL is all you need. But the VX with leather and back up camera and nav and sunroof seems worth the upgrade at least to me... Then above for the Sahara if you like over the top luxury and toys. I have now done 5 years of R&D on the 200 Series, and it has emerged as our Number One tow vehicle without a doubt. It is my own personal standard now, luxury and Business, it has far outperformed my expectation in every way.. I can recommend the excellent Sales and after Service at Ken Mills Toyota in Nambour.. Wink

Kind regards, on the road, Ranger
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Answers to questions,

Hello, I am happy to answer any questions, and you have an advantage with me: I am pretty Fair Dinkum. I am the Hub of the Wheel for about 2000 out there, and I test it myself instead of giving opinions... I try and be scientific and do the analysis by empirical testing first hand, or observation of many in the field, in all things. That is my real value here as the Mad Scientist.. Laughing Laughing

T&S: The idea of the fridge is born of the last twentyfive years of travel in the Bush, and it is not what you are thinking. The fridge/freezer is for when you are away from the Bushtracker... There are probably about three main reasons:
1) It is for bringing milk and groceries and such home from somewhere "out there" when you are exploring and returning to the Bushtracker..
2) It is also commonly used for taking cold drinks and maybe a cut lunch or picnic in the same conditions of disconnecting from the Bushtracker off exploring/fossicking/fishing or whatever for the day.
3) It is for unexpected windfalls. I have been given prawns, fish, beef, all kinds of goodies out there. Even Barramundi, where someone wants to keep fishing but can only haul out so much legally, they have a dead hooked fish or something and want to share with you if you had the fridge freezer capability in the truck... Gifts, windfalls, surpluses to your freezer in the Bushtracker...
There are some of the most common tough fridges in the Category on Camping Tips...
As to cost, "Platinum" the Drop Down Slide Out are expensive, we do not install them in vehicles and you will have to go to ARB to get your best price but suggest over $650 installed.

Hello Lawlor: Again, good questions, and the answers are important. This is something you CANNOT install too well.... If it uproots you are in a very dangerous situation in an accident or roll-over and it could be deadly! What I suggest is that first of all I did not stop with screwing it down, I also through bolted it into the steel framework of the drawer system. If you want your cargo area on top of the drawer system back when not on a trip, plan on taking the fridge itself out. Further, if you want remove the slide parts, leaving the mounting frame in place, as removing that frame is just in the "too hard" basket.. That or put a false floor on the slide out, and put your cargo on the Platinum slide out for easy access. It is just a simple lever unlock to slide it out and all your cargo is much more accessible.. Wink

On the third battery, no I do not have it. I think it is a good idea, but I have a few reasons for not bothering myself. First my fridge is the most energy conservative one I have owned. I can run it for a 2-3 days before it shuts off on low voltage and the Sahara will still start. If I was travelling full time I might look into it, but would also put a solar panel on a roof rack like I have done before. Right not if I stop for long, I would run an extension cord to the van in 12 volt, or plug in a small charger, or run the my unit on straight 240v which it has built into it. (An important feature)...

In truth, I have had a great deal of success using the Anderson Plug with a 20' extension to another (Anderson Plug).. That was the original purpose of the AP, to plug the tow vehicle in at night to charge the batteries and run the fridge off of surpluses in the Bushtracker, or daytime using excess solar in the day or generator at night, that sort of thing. I invented that AP 20' lead raising my Babies with Bushtracker 15 years ago, for when I could not stay hooked up and had to park alongside in tight spots like Lawn Hill NP type places. Since I am NOT travelling full time, I just shut it off when I do not need it or am not driving that vehicle as I also travel with a 12 speed auto MAN 4x4. With excess solar and power and generator in van and horsefloat, for me I am not sure the extra battery is a necessity. This is a grey area..

Here is the set up, fully loaded, for stocking up my Horse Property as I bled it down before I went away on Holiday...

Kind regards, on the road with the Ranger
Loki of Condor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a comment on batteries in the LC200.

The battery cradles can easily take a full size N70ZZ type battery. The original ones are smaller, when they give up, just upgrade to 2 bigger ones with more capacity.
jim&maggie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lawlor wrote:
have you installed a third battery on the side of the drawer unit to run the fridge?

There is a wealth of information available for installing either a 3rd battery in a LC200 or splitting the two batteries you already have.

For a discussion on dual battery systems in a LC200 already on this site:
http://www.bushtrackerforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=734&sid=edc3071beaea69ec64e9dc66b724df2b

The LCOOL forum is also a great resource for LandCruiser owners (you may have to register first - but like the BT site, it is free). From that forum:

For a brief discussion on an ARB under the bonnet 3rd battery kit:
http://www.lcool.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15239

For a discussion on an auxillary battery in the LC200:
http://www.lcool.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1673&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

If you are running a dual battery system (either split or 3rd battery) in your LC200, you might want to read the discussion on the LC200s alternator output on
http://www.lcool.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10080&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
It suggests an easy (cheap) method around having to install a DC to DC converter.

For the record, like many before me, I have split my batteries and run the diode modification in my LC200 for the last 18 mths and 30,000 kms.

Jim
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Friends, This is an Emergency fix...

These modern diesels, called the "common rail" refering to the injection pump, have electronically fired and timed injectors, and all of these modern diesels require three things to operate: Clean fuel x 3.... Most engine breakdowns will be from water in the fuel that BLOWS the injection system, or algae and fungus build up plugging the filters, and you are stranded along the road. It is true with all the main vehicles these days, and since the 200 Series is without a doubt our most common tow vehicle (80% at least), I have decided to Coach you on the single most important maintenance that you can do for this great engine.

Those of you that want to fob this off as unnecessary, think twice, as fuel filters change out, are NOT always included in the normal Toyota Factory Warranty Service, as a matter of Toyota Policy. After almost 9000 kms, like only 300 kms after a Servide, mine threw a Code on the dash and I had to attend to it myself and then clear the Code. I firmly suggest all of you carry 3-4 spare fuel filters, as you can get a bad load of diesel in the Bush and have to change them every few hundred kms in the worst case scenario.

Here is the Proceedure: Your filter housing is located on the passenger side up near the bonnet hinge point:

Now filters are cheap, and this is the standup easiest maintenance to do, and failure with water or such as I have said can damage the engine or stop you in a bad place on the road... You only need this allen key, for the three top screws that hold on filter housing. I am using a cute little ratchet operated allen key for the machine screw and the top come right off. The filter is a simple drop in cartrige, with a simple o-ring to place on top:

Then you simply screw the top back on and it clamps down over the o-ring that comes with the filter. For priming filter or bleeding out air, or pushing out water. There is a black round knob on top of the filter, and you push down on it, pump is built into the filter housing for priming. It takes some power, grab the filter housing and use your thumb to pump it. To bleed it of air, there is a marked hose on top that shows the exit point and you simply squeeze the clamp and mostly slide off the hose so you can prime out the air with the pump on top. (Per the picture below showing me doing it.) After priming, clean fuel coming out: Push the hose and clamp back on and you are done.

If it was water in the fuel, to bleed out the water, there is a little petcock on the bottom of the filter, white, and it projects out the side at the bottom back side.. With the petcock open, it will push out any water as the water is heavier than fuel and goes to the bottom. Close the petcock and you are done...

Now, if it threw a Code warning on the dash, there is a trick to clearing the code. Undo the top warning switch, lifting the little locking tab with a fine screwdriver and pull it out... Then swiftly (they say 30 seconds) turn on the ignition, (I just started the engine). After starting the engine, in about 60 seconds walk back and plug in the plug. Then stop and start the engine once to make sure the Code cleared. Mine worked a treat..

Hope this has been a help. It is definitely one of the maintenance things you NEED TO BE ABLE TO DO YOURSELF.. It should not be a drama, easy, not hard.. Look, clean fuel is dead important, changing your filter is important. Also water in the fuel can absolutely KILL these new diesels, over ten thousand in damages and it will not be covered by Warranty if you drive it through into destruction. If the alarms work well, the water in the fuel with not only be a Code, but the warning will start flashing. IF YOU GET THE FLASHING WARNING DO NOT DRIVE IT TO GET HELP, STOP AND FIX IT. IF WATER IS THERE, YOU COULD MUNCH THE ENGINE.

For water you do not need to open up the filter housing as above... Just open the bottom petcock, and pump the pump on top to flush out the water. It will be clear, or murky, where the fuel is clear to light amber or greenish depending on brand ... You can tell by looking at that petcock as you pump it.... Water or fuel.. Fuel is also oily and smells like diesel, you can feel the difference.

Hope this is a help and gets you out of trouble in the Outback... On the road with the Ranger Wink
Loki of Condor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you only have the regular Allen key and are worried about getting a decent grip, or slashing your hand with it, use the ever present Toyota screwdriver; you know the one with the removeable double ended blade.

Just take the handle off and put that on the end of the Allen key.

Works a treat.
Intrepid Travellers

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve

Thanks for the excellent reviews and great information. For a novice it is great having you mentor us new to the delights of off road recreation.

I would however appreciate yor views on cargo barriers. I notice from the photos that you posted that it does not appear your new vehicle is fitted with one.

For me safety is a key consideration and the fitting of a barrier is high on the budget priority list along with a suspension upgrade and radio.

Keep up the flow of information.
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lawlor wrote:
Steve

Thanks for the excellent reviews and great information. For a novice it is great having you mentor us new to the delights of off road recreation.

I would however appreciate yor views on cargo barriers. I notice from the photos that you posted that it does not appear your new vehicle is fitted with one.

For me safety is a key consideration and the fitting of a barrier is high on the budget priority list along with a suspension upgrade and radio.

Keep up the flow of information.

Thank you Lawlor, for the kind words. Doing this is my job, Bushtracker is my hobby gone mad. I have decided not to retire as long as I can share some of this Lifestyle and my experience with good People like You that appreciate it.

Now in answer to your very good question, cargo barrier? Absolutely. Exclamation No I do not have one, because I live in two worlds a bit, and this Sahara is my luxury car at work and in town. It has a dual purpose as my luxury car, and the R&D demo for you Owners.. I like being able to tuck things over the rear seat or fold up the rear seat and access the back. However: If I were travelling full time, or seasonally part time, I would put the cargo barrier in there. In an accident everything back there is a deadly missile.. I may put one in anyway for all the good reasons. On a big trip, I would usually be taking my MAN 4x4 12 speed auto truck and horses in a Big Rig setup:

Myself, for right now, I actually regret not having the cargo barrier, as I am going on an R&D filming trip testing new equipment for a couple of weeks out Busht. However, I have put in the drawer system for most cargo. The slide out is thru bolted to the steel frame of the drawer systems, and the fridge freezer is four way strapped down. I will put most travel cargo on the floor of the rear seat. But Lawlor, you are quite correct, a cargo barrier could save lives. Thank you for the question, and it is my oversight in not mentioning it. My Sons 100 Series has one..

Even if I travel with luggage going to civilization, I will put it in the back but tie it down to pad eyes on the front of the drawers or something like that. In fact I think I will do exactly that, and drill in four pad eyes to the front of the drawers in stainless marine style. It will look good, and I can tie luggage to them, not as good as the cargo barrier but... I may still get one yet and would advise all Owners that it is a top idea.. Wink

Kind regards, on the road with the Ranger..
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Field tests of our R&D in upgrades for the 200 Series:

We have just completed filming of our latest DVD. We ran a 4400 km test of the new Air Suspension on Bushtracker vans, and ran the two combinations of suspension upgrades for the 200 Series. We travelled from the lakes of Menindie, Broken Hill side tracks, and Silverton Ghost Town north to Milperinka gold ghost town through Edenvale gorge, and on to Cameron Corner out on the Border. With a loaded 200 series, this is the right suspension. 100 or so on the front with a 50mm lift and 400 kg rear with 50 mm lift, rides with firm control and does not bottom out and buck. The jarring ride is if you do not have enough springs, and it bottoms out with the bump stop on the chassis. This rode very nicely.

After 4400 kms, a lot at high speed trying to break the new Bushtracker Air Suspension (didn't, not a fault), I can confidently give this 200 Series suspension upgrades my thumbs up.. This was the right combination, with the heavy drawer system fully loaded it rode very nice. On Matthews, it was the right choice in the 200 kg rear without a drawer system, but mine with a 42 kg drop down slide out and large 80 litre fridge freezer on top of the drawers, made the 400 kg rear springs the right ones. Wink

It still is my luxury car around town.. The ride is not so firm as to ruin it for around town, it just feels a bit sporty and firm in control and ride. Matthew runs his every day with the 200 kg upgrade in the back of his VX, and it is the right choice down to comfort for his Family.. This is our best results for the 200 Series, in two stages according to how much you load it up..

Now a last note, on the GXL to VX to SAHARA upgrades... Beyone Luxury, beyond toys, there is one more consideration and that is Driver Fatigue... Personally, it makes no difference if you are going to be sensible and take shorter hauls. But on a long haul like I just did, the luxury is ALL THE DIFFERENCE.. I mean really, the better systems, air conditioned seats, power rear access, better sound system, fridge between the seats, all the luxury goodies pay off. When I pulled the pin on the trip at Cunnamulla in Queensland when we hit the bitumen, we long hauled it all the way home in about 11 hours. When you are over 60, as far as I am concerned, the more luxury the better.. Wink That or be sensible and run shorter hauls, and then it does not matter as much and a GXL or VX does the job a treat. Wink

Kind regards, on the road with the Ranger
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, here is the first set of D-697s for the new 18" wheels on the VX or Sahara..

A definite improvement off-road to the Grandtreks... Sort of a medium All-Terrain..

Noise? You could hear a faint tyre noise with the Grantreks, but the all weather window covers had a slight wind buffet noise as well.. You could still whisper in the front and be heard. I think these 18" D-697s are much the same. It is a slightly deeper hum, about as loud, and you can still whisper and be heard in the front seat.. For most of you my guess is it would be a nil increase in noise factor.. And a great increase in traction and tyre strength...

On the frog and toad with the Ranger Wink
Loki of Condor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BEING KIND TO YOUR LC200 GEARBOX (and your wallet).

I just had my Scangauge upgraded so it could display the Transmission Fluid Temperature (TFT). If you recently purchased a Scangauge it will display TFT after you enter the appropriate parameters, but older ones, like mine, need to be upgraded.

If you havent got one, you can buy them here:
http://www.ample-outdoors.com.au/store/product_info.php?products_id=59

The parameters to enter are:
TXD: 07E121D9
RXF: 032100000000
RXD: 2808
MTH: 00010001FFD8
NAM: TFT

We just spent a few days out in WAs north east wheatbelt exploring the granite rock outcrops with two other BT owners and I took the opportunity to experiment by driving to keep the temperature of my transmission fluid low.
It is a real education and flies in the face of my long held belief that low revs/tall gear were best for touring, economy and kindness to the vehicle.

Toyota recommends towing in S5. Driving in Sports mode allows the Torque Converter to lock up, given the right circumstances. It wont lock up in Drive (D).

Now I prefer to drive at about 90kph. If I drive at 90 in S5, the TC will not lock up and the Scangauge shows these approximate figures:
RPM: 2300
L/100kms: 24
TFT: 85 to 90C

However, if I drive at 90 in S4, the Scangauge shows these approximate figures:
RPM: 2200
L/100kms: 18
TFT: 60 to 65C

That is a real fuel saving and is being very, very kind to your transmission.

The only way I can get similar good figures in S5 is to speed up to about 100kph where the TC will lock. But I find that uncomfortable touring and it is very hard to keep the TC locked at that speed. Any slight incline or headwind will unlock the TC in S5.

The really interesting thing is that changing down (from S5, TC unlocked, TFT at about 85C) to S4, you can see/feel the TC lock by the RPM dropping about 200 revs, the TFT readout drops very quickly to about 60C, within a minute actually. And the fuel consumption improves by about 5 or so L/100kms.

So I think most of my towing will be in S4 from now on, and my Cruiser will thank me for it.

And here's a taste of the Granite Loop Trail:
http://www.australiasgoldenoutback.com/docs/2012-holiday-planner/wildflower-guide-2012_trails-granite-loop.pdf?sfvrsn=2

Ann & Harry

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve, I am about to need new tyres for my 200 Sahara and wondered if you have any further comment about the Bridgestone D697's on your Sahara? Thanks for a very handy and informative forum.
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Ann and Harry...
I am happy very with them...

Now that they are wearing in, there is a slight hum, just a tiny bit more than the stock GrandTreks, but a substantially better All Terrain sort of grip. I am so happy with them, and my GrandTreks are for sale. The steel under the tread is comforting, some of the biggest in the Industry. If it is any track record like we have had out of the Outback made Bridgestone (the only one I like from Bridgestone, the D693, then 694, now 697) it is a very strong tyre.

I have had them on curves in heavy rain.. Matthew the Office Manager here wants a set for his VX.... So far they are the best we have seen.

One more thing WELCOME TO THE FORUM, POST NUMBER 1 !

Here is a picture of the steel under the tread as compared to BFG.. Both have 3000 denier sidewalls (very strong) but this steel under the tread is impressive and why we chose them for Bushtracker. In truth, in all the years of running them, now on three Landcruisers, a 6x6 trailer, and three of my own Bushtrackers.... I have never even had a flat...

Top one is BFG, the bottom steel is about twice the size...

Last edited by Bushtracker on Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
SMICK

State:: vic
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read about these weigh checks on caravans but have not seen or heard of any substantial proof that they are being carried out. I have made several enquiries in Victoria and NSW. The replies, from police contacts and RTA, police - not their job, RTA - too busy with trucks.
Nichael
Andrew & Jen

State:: SA
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hullo Smick

FYI, I went through one on the Murray Valley Hwy on the Friday before the Nov LWE in Vic - near the Gunbower area, if I recall correctly.

Big VicPol Operations van set up, chase car, plenty of guys in uniform, weigh bridge/slab and a queue of tow vehicles/vans lined up for weighing.

A fellow camper told me back in August that he had been through one at Pt Wakefield (SA) at the beginning of the June/July school holidays.

Cheers
Andrew
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did an interesting fuel economy test today, on the 200 Series that started this Thread.... My third 200 Series in five years of R&D reporting to you..

17,000 kms on the clock already, Rolling Eyes and I would say the engine is just now broke in, run in as they say here in Oz.. With 500 kg on board, larger Platinum drop down roll out (60 kg), 80 litre stainless fridge freezer, drawer systems loaded with tools and recovery gear, ARB Bull Bar and Warn Winch, and all the other little pieces, easy 500 kg. I did a 100 km fuel economy test on the highway into Brisbane, and here are the results:

If you lock up the TC at about 105, then back off the throttle, the 200 series will do 100 kph at 1500 revs. Now you cannot put on the Cruise Control, as that costs a litre or two per 100 as you do not slow down a little on hills, instead it drops a half to full gear and powers up to keep the set speed. Anyway, lock up the TC (Torque Converter) and concentrate on keeping it at 1500 rpm at 100, by feathering the accelerator. Slow down a little on hills, that is ok, make up the speed back to 100 on the downside of the hills. I got all the way down to 10 litres per 100, the best it has ever done, with a half a ton on board and more wind resisitance with window rain shields on the top of front windows, bullbar and winch, and snorkel, still got down to 10 litre per hundred. Actually, by the time I got to Brisbane, 9.9 per 100. I does not get better than that for a stock vehicle with no chip and standard exhaust (keeping the Warranty intact)

By the way, a TC Torque Converter is up in the bell housing in front of the automatic transmission. It is a complex heavy 300-400 mm doughnut shape, vanes inside that work like hydraulic clutches, a sealed unit that takes on transmission fluid and it converts the engine mechanical torque to hydraulic torque. Best I can explain it without drawing pictures.

Anyway, the 200 Series continues to impress me. Now sitting at about 85-90% of all Bushtracker tow vehicles, it is that good...

It continues to get my thumbs up... On the road with the Ranger

Last edited by Bushtracker on Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind, this bigger exhaust is a dead giveaway and you will get NO WARRANTY if you have a major engine or transmission problem.. A chip up, (done it with a variety of common rail diesels) is near useless without a larger exhaust... These days they can tell if a vehicle tune is modified anyway, the changes are imbedded and can be read...

As a Professional, I would strongly advise against fooling around with these kinds of things. You would have to do several hundred thousand kms, before you paid for the mods with better fuel economy, and most never see it as they just use the extra power. I have a 5 year Warranty, negotiated, and would not throw that out.

The 200 Series has enough power already, slow down, be happy with the marvelous machine it already is...

On the road with the Ranger...
Loki of Condor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the first one is the one we have, but the second one is what is currently available.

I have ARB 200kg coils on my 200 and the rear was raised 75mm.

I am on the bottom hole on my hitch. When I picked up my BT and the 200s were relatively new I got the 100mm but had to go around the corner and get the 150mm.

Sometimes it's possible to scrape the hitch in a washout but that would probably happen with the 100mm on say, a 100 series Cruiser.

This picture is from a friends BT after he upgraded to a DO35 and the new Reese setup. It may help you see what the end result is.

The new Reese lets you put the DO35 on the top of the drawbar. Easier to keep clean.
Maximus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve

Thank you for your most detailed report on fuel filter change. I kept the file on my desk top and used it to show a mechanic what to do ?? Next time I will do it myself. Have only travelled 17000k's and have never experienced a fuel filter issue in any other vehicle. The L/C must be very sensitive.
Off today to buy 2-3 spare filters. Thanks to you I at least had one on board.

Cheers
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Maximus,
and other 200 Series Owners,

It turns out the system is very sensitive. As soon as there is back pressure indicating the filter being modestly dirty, it throws the warning code on the dash. It is not just water sensitive, but general dirty filter sensitive... This has just happened to the 2012 Sahara I have done the R&D with and the Air Bag Suspension DVD. It threw a code a bit early after I had changed it, in something like 5000 kms, so I must have gotten some dirty diesel somewhere.

You can however turn the code off (and should right away in case you need it again), it is very easy to reset. From memory, and I think I tell it in the Filter Topic, you unplug it with the engine off, start the engine and plug it back in with the engine running. Now it is about that simple, but verify this with the Dealer, as I cannot remember if that is the exact routine, anyway it is very easy to do...

Kind regards, stg
Searenity

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:39 pm    Post subject: 200 SERIES, TOP MOST COMMON BUSHTRACKER TOW VEHICLE 2009-13 Reply with quote

Hi Guys,
there are many of us BT owners in the same position - pushing the weight limits. There is something I do not understand - the laws of demand should convince one of the major players to bring in to Australia a tow vehicle appropriate to our needs. What is the Australian obsession with small vehicles??

cheers

Searenity
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, here is the latest, for those of you wanting to overload a 200 Series and are worried about the GVM:

Our Bushtracker Toyota Dealer in Nambour, Ken Mills Toyota, will now install the Lovells Suspension upgrade to 3800 kg, and still keep the Toyota Warranty in place. They will also provide all the paperwork, and Queensland Transport is right next door, I mean shared property line next store, right next door, to upgrade the GVM on your Registration..

Here is what they provide: 3800kg GVM upgrade.

Cost includes - Supply & fitting of suspension upgrade
-Modification plate & all paperwork needed for department of transport.
- KDSS adjustment.
- Wheel alignment

The price is $3,200. Matthew our Office Manager has done it on his VX and is very happy with the results. You can call him if you like, but he even travels with his Wife and small Child, and likes the ride...

Kind regards, on the Road, Ranger
JKohn

State:: SA
Current Bushtracker owner:: No
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have been many that have posted about this on the Land Cruiser Forum saying that after a lift the wheel alignment can't be put back to factory spec as there is not enough adjustment left.
The solution is to purchase aftermarket Upper Control Arms (Google: Total Chaos Fabrication 200 series), which is not a cheap exercise in itself, however, those that have done it have reported excellent results in that they are able to get back to factory spec and thus eliminated the tyre scrubbing issue.
Hope this helps.
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ARB have done every one of mine in the past five years, all just fine... A GXL, a VX, and my Sahara..

I have never had the problem, nor heard of it before now with 300 of them running, so I do not believe this can be a very wide spread problem...

Ranger
Dave Burt

State:: QLD
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the ARB GVM upgrade (extra 280 kgs, a bit less than the Lovells upgrade) on my 200 series Landcruiser with KDSS suspension, since the upgrade I have travelled approx 10,000 klms with no signs of srubbing or other abnormal wear on the tyres.

Dave
Loki of Condor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto about the ARB GVM upgrade. I had it done prior to rego in January. We've been WA-QLD-WA without any problems.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> Tips on TOW VEHICLES All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: