Tanami Track 2012

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> TRAVEL LOGS AND BUSHTRACKERS IN ACTION PICTURE GALLERY
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmacca

State:: Qld
Current Bushtracker owner:: Yes
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:57 pm    Post subject: Tanami Track 2012 Reply with quote

Hi All,

We're planning to head across the Tanami Track early August this year, just checking to see if anyone has done the track lately and can comment on condition?

Regards
Justin
Loki of Condor

State:: WA
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We went down half of it 2 years ago. I can't see it being any better now.

Be prepared for some maintenance.
Bushtracker
Site Admin

State:: Queensland
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From all reports, mining trucks comtinuously tear it up and you will "shake and break" because you run out of patience and just go for it on road conditions so bad three days should be done in five.. Western end is the worst with mine trailers having to be rebuilt every year and you will wish you had gone around before it is all over.

It should be named the "never never" from all reports, as you will be thinking "well I'm never never going to do that again"...

Road Ranger
Wherrol

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were talking to someone up at Bell Gorge the other day. They had come to the Gibb River Road via the Tanami.

They reckoned the road was brilliant to the NT/WA border. then it was just a great dirt road. Indeed the lady commented that her only problem was that she had to keep reminding her husband it was a dirt road and not a highway.

No whines no whinges nothing.

Note: they were pulling a box trailer, and they did have the bumper bar of their 4wd held on with zippy ties.

Not sure if this helps or not. There are plenty of dirty four wheel drives up here so maybe just ask around when you get here.
rjf85

State:: QLD
PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you end up traveling this track?

How was it?
Ajay and Fletch

State:: Vic
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Folks,

My wife and I recently set off to cross the Tanamai. We were to cross with two other couples who werectowing camper trailers. We set off half a day before the others and got about 15, yes 15 kms, when I stopped. We discussed the possibility that the road (?) could be the way we experienced for the next 700 kms or so and we bravely decided to pull out. The corrugations were 18 inches apart and 6 inches deep, no doubt caused by road trains roaring along at 80 or so kms per hour. We could not get up to 30 kmh, more like 15 kmh. Even allowing for our reduced tyer pressures (25 psi) on all wheels and slow rates of travel, we still had breakages.

If you have no time constraints and the patience of Job, and you wish to have difficulty getting off the road to camp, due to the depth to which the graders had gouged the road, I would not do it. Our friends did the crossing and the consensus was that it was not worth the effort.

Good luck wiith whatever your decision may be.

Regards ...
jmacca

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey rjf85,

Yes we did the Tanami in August last year, about 100km's before the WA border was rough as hell (heading nth west). We kept wondering what all the fuss was about until we hit this 100k's of corrugation.

In all it took us 5 days to cross, took it steady and enjoyed the scenery.

Landcruiser was the only thing to have a problem blew out a brand new front shock on the really bad stuff going no more than 10km's an hour. Supplier tried to tell me I must have been going too Slow!! Thats a new one. I think it was just a dud shock.

If you're planning on doing the Tanami for a short cut I recommend going the bitumen, if you're in no rush and enjoy the desert country then give it a go and just make sure you're well equipped.

I even did some business along the way was Next G signal in quite a few places along the road. Smile

Rgds
Justin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> TRAVEL LOGS AND BUSHTRACKERS IN ACTION PICTURE GALLERY All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: