DODGE 6.7 CUMMINS RAM, TOP RIG FOR LARGER VANS 22' & UP

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> Tips on TOW VEHICLES
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bushtracker
Site Admin

State:: Queensland
Current Bushtracker owner:: Yes
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: DODGE 6.7 CUMMINS RAM, TOP RIG FOR LARGER VANS 22' & UP Reply with quote

Hello Friends,

For those of you that do not know, I also do the R&D on all of the common Tow Vehicles… Now an opinion is just that, but unlike others I do the hard R&D by actually buying them and putting them through their paces in equipping them and towing with them. I have done at least ten of our most common 4x4s in the past ten-twelve years: 100 Series, 3 200 Series, the GXL and VX and SAHARA 200 Series Twin Turbo Diesel, four Fords of different diesel engines in F-350 and F-450, two Chevrolet Silverados 2500 HD and 3500 HD, as well as other trucks. They are all Topics in this Category. I have tried to give accurate and unbiased results on all of them.

There is a new Player, the new 6.7 Dodge Cummins Ram, I sat in first in Cheyenne Wyoming at Frontier Days last July, and it is superior for 21’ vans and larger, for four reasons:

1) It is powered by the 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel. I am a Cummins Fan, but rather than argue it is superior, I will put the case forward it is better due to access. You can hardly get a hand in to work on the Chev Duramax, it is almost a two man job to change a fuel filter. The Fords are just as tight, in fact in America the hoists are equipped to lift the cab off for turbo or head work.. The Cummins is different in that it is a straight six like many Big Rigs. On one side you pull out the radiator overflow tank and battery and there is total side access. On the other side you pull out air filter housing and you have total turbo and the other side of the engine access. It is just a lot more User Friendly. Whether you are a Cummins Fan or not one yet, there is just one more huge advantage: Serviced anywhere by Cummins Australia, it just has a leg up on the rest.

2) It is backed by Shogun Conversions (the best, the others are bit sloppy while Shogun do the best Dodge Conversion, have a look) www.shogunconversions.com.au It is also backed by Chrysler (already here in Australia) and best yet it is backed by Cummins Australia. Further, Cummins and Fleetguard are under the same banner now, the largest truck filters, and filters and oil from Cummins direct are cheap. I bought 20 ltrs of Cummins Blue Synthetic oil for $120, fuel filters for $25 and oil filters for $15.. That is cheaper than Toyota for sure, let alone Ford and Chevrolet.

3) Third, and not the least they are about $25-30,000 cheaper than the Fords or Chevs: Shogun is finishing up here and has a new 4000 meter Factory in the Philippines and a new Factory underway. They even have Philippine Crew working here now. They say, due to the cheaper real estate and Business costs, they are going to bring in the new 2013 Dodge Ram with the highest tow ratings of the “Big Three” to Australia at Landcruiser prices. Now that is big news!!! In all fairness, if this happens, it will sweep the market. The 6.7 Cummins is a “Sweetie”.

4) I have had mine since December, now three months, driving it everywhere… I still have the Sahara, in the Missus hands for future DVDs or Shows, but this Dodge Ram is the tops. It has the air conditioned seats, heated seats and steering wheel, rear vision and perimeter alarms, remote starting, all the fruit… But there is one more standout: This one is the Mega Cab. It has the normal Crew Cab option with about 400mm more behind the back seats. Not only do the seats drop down into the floor, and not only does it become a wide bed base, but there is also luggage room behind. It is the largest cab in the whole truck class of the Big Three. Further next year it is supposed to have the highest towing ratings..

You are welcome to come see mine. Mine is in the western leather style, scrolling on the gauges, and western patterns on the leather seats, the Longhorn edition. That is nice but unnecessary. The whole truck impresses me, but engine access, larger cab, and backup by Cummins Australia is the icing on the cake… If you want a larger van from 21’ and up, you should have a look. It has the live axle solid monobeam front end like the Ford, robust in everyway, and for larger vans it just cannot be beat. Room to work on the van, better backup in Australia, it is now my Number One pick...

On the road Ranger

You are welcome to come see mine... I like it as much as the Super Duty Fords in strength and finish, only far better engine access, and of course the Mega Cab..

Last edited by Bushtracker on Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:14 pm; edited 6 times in total
Devils On The Prowl

State:: Tas
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Steve, I just love the look of that Single Rear Wheel model.

Can't wait to climb all over & under to check it out. Dribble.... Dribble...

Does yours have a much smaller turning circle than the Effie?
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I know for sure, I say, and right now I do not know for sure so I am going by feel. I would say yes, much smaller than the converted Silverados, Tracy hates his. I would say yes, about a third smaller than the Ford Australia Fords, and I think as small or smaller than the full import Fords.

You cannot Google it, as it should be there somewhere in the vehicle stats but that is totally worthless after conversion. The Silverados cannot be that bad in America or they would not sell. My feeling from owning all three is this is far better, on line with the best, and not far off from my Sahara...

I have just put in a 400 litre fuel tank in the bed. This is a floor tank, to raise floor so I can reach it over the edge of the bed, and the added weight helps to smooth out the ride of the DRW... I really like the ability not to have to worry about my next fuel depot, and run on the cheaper coastal fuel.. Wink

I have not been listening to the stereo of late, the music of the Cummins "Hummins" is just music to my ears... Laughing Cool The Single Rear Wheel version is the way to go for most unless you are really loading up a big canopy, boat, freezer, motor, and so on.. Me? I just like the look, and the respect it gets when I put on an indicator to change lanes...

Devils On The Prowl

State:: Tas
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you put indicator on to change lanes, I dont think its respect Steve.
I reckon they just want to drop back, so your in front of them, that way they get a better view of that flash truck. Very Happy
bigun

State:: NSW
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve is there a contact for these vehicles ?
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bigun, there is a link, in blue, in the first Post on this Thread... Double Click on it and you are there...

Hello Friends, I have been trying to figure out the reasons I like driving this truck so much... Here is one that inspires the Rig Junkie inside of me that loves big trucks:

If you click on the TOW/HAUL mode, and right beside it is the ENGINE BRAKE, you end up with a Big Rig Jake Brake.. Now no, it is not loud, in fact it is reasonably quiet, but if you leave the stereo off it is pure music to the ears. Tow/Haul mode downshifts for you, and the Engine Brake sounds like a quiet Jake brake. I mean near perfect Big Rig sound.

I have ordered the delete kit and custom exhaust, this should improve the fuel economy and the music level of the Jake Brake. I look forward to more towing with this, it is the best system of engine brake I have driven of the 5 Fords and Chevs. This morning with a 20' trailer on the back, I got off the freeway on the Nambour round-a-bout with the Tow/Haul and Engine Brake on and by the time I got to the top of the exit I almost did not have to use the brakes at all. Wonderful feeling that is, with the truck downshifting and that quiet little BaaWaaaaaaaaaaa of the Jake Brake.. Cool!

Since I am not trying to tow my big Gooseneck Horsefloat any more with the little trucks, I can see no reason to shift away from Dodge Rams. The only truck with the cool Mega Cab, the best western style interior, the absolute top best engine and engine access, and the very cool Jake Brake.... Laughing Laughing Unless I get a new one in a 3500 Single Rear Wheel the end of this year, more in line to show perspective new Bushtracker Owners that want a very large van, I will stick with this truck for the long haul. Yes, the SRW would be more in line with a Demonstrator for BT Owners, but if the 2013 does not grab me, I am happy with this fat rear DRW.

Regards from the road, Ranger
G&J

State:: Cautious Optimism
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:52 pm    Post subject: The gearbox in the RAM Reply with quote

Steve,

Thanks for your posts on the converted RAM.

What gearbox is in the RAM, and if it is a Chrysler box, do you know whether they have an option for an Allison gearbox?

Regards Geoff
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Geoff,

If you call larger American Transmission Shops, you will find that all three of the Big Three auto transmissions are very good. Don't get carried away with the Allison name, GM (Chevrolet) bought Allison so they could use the name, but the Chev version is not the all famous Allison in reality. As a matter of fact, the 68RFE Dodge auto transmission was the only one to take 1000 HP on the Tractor Pull contests, Fords and Chevs had to be rebuilt from the ground up and just would not take the same power.. The Dodge auto, has been the consistent winner in the over 500 HP Classes of the monster tractor pull contests, it is that strong.

As for repair kits sent out for general use: The Transmission Shops are generally reporting is the Ford Super Duty is still the top mid size truck transmission, the 5R110 is the strongest, with the Chev Allison and the Dodge Ram Aisin AS68RC in the latest 4th Generation Cummins Diesels, about even.. The current 3500 Dodge Ram Aisin AS68RC is a very good transmission, one commercial truck towing full time has reported 240,000 miles without a repair or rebuild.. That is what, 384,000 kms towing commercially without touching the AS68RC. In truth, if you are not hauling 40 pantech fifthwheels loaded with 10 tons, to Alaska every week, for our purposes all three of the new auto transmission are all about the same for strength and reliability. The only weak one was from the Ford Australia Ford that was built in Brazil from leftovers.

The full imports, running on synthetics, are all very very good and for practical uses about even.. But you are crediting the Allison name that is put on a rather ordinary transmission as being something special? Sorry, not...All three of the Big Three are very good these days.

According to reviews, the 2013 Dodge Ram now is "Best in Class" for all categories. There are none in Australia yet, and won't be until the end of this year around September or so. You can read about them at (click on this link)

http://www.egmcartech.com/2012/09/29/2013-dodge-ram-chassis-cab-and-heavy-duty-revealed-at-state-fair-of-texas-apparently-best-in-class-in-everything/

I like the Cummins Engine the best, for sound, for strength, for easy access, and for Cummins Australia backup...

On the road, Cowboy...

Last edited by Bushtracker on Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
robertniko

State:: Victoria
Current Bushtracker owner:: Ordered
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Dodge Reply with quote

Hi,

Ordered my 20' Bushtracker last November, due for delivery about Oct2013. Hoorayyyy!!! Up until reading this post recently I was always going to get a Toyota Landcruiser. Now I am seriously cosidering the Dodge.

I'm visiting Bushtracker after Easter to go through final options, colours, etc. While I'm up there, I'm also going to visit Shogun Conversions to check out the Dodge options.

At this early stage, I'm looking at a 2013 2500, 6.7L Cummins with the single back wheel in either the Longhorn or Laramie model, but am not sure which. I sorted out all the options for the Landcruiser, but will now have to work out what else is needed on the Dodge.

Steve, hope to catch up with you on my visit (I have an appointment with Phil on 8/4/13), but is there anything I need to definitely consider as added extras to the Dodge?

Getting closer now. Yippee!!!!!!!!!!
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talk with me when you are here, about Programmers, added 50 HP for towing performance fuel economy and so on...

At this point the 2013 is not here yet, so we are guessing. You can get onto the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, and there you will learn about the best programmers, DEF and DPF deletes for fuel economy, and other custom feature like Code Reader and Clearers as part of the Programmer. These allow you to troubleshoot a simple sensor that might have become unplugged or needs a de-carbon cleaning with a little wire brush or something.. Do the remedy, then clear the code yourself. In ten years with 7 of the full import trucks, I have never had to do this myself, but it is nice to have the ability. I have had reports of a Dodge transmission heat sensor going out, that put the truck into limp mode. I have heard of EGR or exhaust sensors in Fords and Chevs doing the same. The point is, most of the time it is a minor repair if you have the Code Clearing ability with a programmer. Get a complete education on the trucks on the Dodge Cummins Forum at http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/

Look, the EPA equipment for the U.S. is even a battle, because the requirements vary from State to State. Eliminating the slight puff of black smoke on accelerating, seems a great idea for the Greenies in power in major city type States, but at a cost of 10-30% worse fuel economy when towing, it does not make sense for heavy trucking and transport. It is a constant battle there that varies from State to State in requirements. Here it is simple, the potential of a slight puff of carbon on acceleration from a stop, is not worth polluting the environment with burning 10-30% more fuel when towing in Australia.

IMO there can be no enforcement here, as there is no standard in the U.S. as it varies State to State. For the best Environmental results, you can modify the DEF/DPF to acheive the better fuel economy. We are not driving these big rigs around the city... Wink

We will have to wait until the 2013s are out... Love my 2011 build, 2012 Year Model, I might just stick with it... Smile We will see what the new ones have I am missing out on.. Larger screen for nav and rear vision (don't need) larger chassis and heavier towing ratings (don't need)... Might just stick with mine... heh he Cool

On the road, Cowboy up

Last edited by Bushtracker on Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Friends,

Of the past ten or so tow vehicles I have done R&D on, most of them I have tried to equip as Bushtracker Owners would like for the most part. One of the most successful mods has been a drawer system in the back, which raises the floor enough to reach the bottom through gull wing canopy sides or windows.

The Importer, Shogun, is bringing me in a canopy, a new fibreglass gull wing sides canopy painted to suit the truck. The catch is that it will be a few months, because to do it inexpensively you have to import it on the back of a truck coming anyway... Wink

Since it will be months, I have built a temporary canopy for my dogs and cargo, and am using the same drop down slide out system shown in the Sahara R&D vehicle, for easy fridge loading slide out drop down. Only this time, same fridge, but it will come out and drop down on the tailgate of the Dodge.

Insted of drawers, I am trying something new, the same height but a 400 litre diesel tank, short by 350 or so mm, to allow hidden tool storage when I drop the tailgate. It looks like this:

The platform it mounts on is about the same size most of you would use for drawers, but instead I have a false floor so I can reach in on the bed through the gull wing doors of the canopy coming.. Instead of drawers like I did on the Silverado 2500 HD, under the floor is a 400 ltr diesel tank, and the end is tool storage, hidden by the locking tailgate...

Look, I test the trucks for towing, maintenance, ease of access, parts and backup and service, and I also try different equipment that might be of interest to you... Even through the little Colt I bred is going so good he is entered into the National NRHA Futurity at the same time, I plan on taking this Rig and a new 23' Show Van, to the BOG Rally in Alice in September. We can have a few drinks and talk trucks and Bushtracker then... Wink Cool

More crazy ideas from the lone Ranger, Cowboy on the road Wink

Cowboy on the Road, yea right... YEA, RIGHT... What would I know... Laughing
Warwick on the 4th-5th with horses and dogs, Gatton for the NRHA on the 6th and 7th... Cowboy on the road, "Dancing with Wolves"...

Last edited by Bushtracker on Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:54 am; edited 1 time in total
onthemove

State:: vic
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I notice there will be a Diesel 1500 Ram released soon aimed at those that don't want a full size truck
This will be a LC killer!! Pretty much the same power & torque figures as a 200 series but with 8 speed auto and 4.7t tow capacity!!
Hopefully Shogun will be quick to bring them in Very Happy
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sent from my IPhone: In all fairness the 1500 and the F-100 or 150 sorts have always been a round town vehicle, less robust than their larger counterparts. Now I know nothing of the 1500, but honestly for a few dollars more the 2500 would be a better investment, larger running gear and GVM.

Now, another comment I would like to make on my own: I have owned both the 2500 HD and 3500 HD Chev Silverados in dual cab 4x4, as well as F-250, F-350 (2 of) and an F-450 in our Research and Development programs, so I am qualified to make this following comment...

With the Dodge Cummins Ram, there is a Tow/Haul Mode and an Engine Brake Mode, and with them both on, when towing it drops a gear and gives an excellent brake job, saving the vehicle brakes. It drops a gear and shifts down and it sounds like a little quiet version of the Big Rig "jake. Brake". Quite frankly, I can tell you that there is no better out there. I was unimpressed with the ones in the Fords and Silveradoes, and this now is by far the pick of the litter in the Dodge... I mean loaded up with a larger van, you would soon learn to appreciate this great Engineering, far better than the Chev or Ford. This Dodge is suited to the towing job better than the rest... It gets the number one position now for sure from me.

Kind regards to all, road Ranger
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nine months in,

I have done all the R&D for you for the past twelve years on just about all vehicles possible. This one is probably a keeper for me. I have battled since April, and finally found my custom Dodge goods lost in shipping from America. Hopefully I will have a custom 5" exhaust, gull wing fiberglass canopy, programmer, winch, black powder coated bullbar being built, and some other bits enroute by the end of the month.. There just is no better in towing, and worth repeating my analysis on the exceptional Tow/Haul mode on the Cummins: In Engine Brake Mode, and with them both on, when towing it drops a gear and gives an excellent brake job, saving the vehicle brakes. It drops a gear and shifts down and it sounds like a little quiet version of the Big Rig "jake. Brake". Quite frankly, I can tell you that there is no better out there. I was unimpressed with the ones in the Fords and Silveradoes, and this now is by far the pick of the litter in the Dodge... I mean loaded up with a larger van, you would soon learn to appreciate this great Engineering, far better than the Chev or Ford IMO (In My Opinion). This Dodge is suited to the towing job better than the rest... It gets the number one position now for sure from me. I am going to start to customize it to suit my needs, but one thing stands out that is by far the top dog IMO:

Something about the Cummins Jake Brake combo, nothing compares..
Road Ranger.....

Last edited by Bushtracker on Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:55 am; edited 1 time in total
UEV490

State:: WA
Current Bushtracker owner:: No
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steven

I am liking the Rams more and more.
They seem to be ahead of the others.

What would be your thoughts on a 1500 with a 3.0 V6?

http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/ecodiesel/

I think this is the same motor as in the Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Said to still have a 3.5 ton tow capacity.

I know you support the Shogun conversions.

Here is another convertor I found:

http://www.usautos.com.au/

They seem to tell it like it is rather than all the bling and promises of other websites that only show you the pictures from the USA websites.

Keep up the good work.

Chris
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1500 is sort of like the Ford F-100, the Girls truck for grocery shopping around town and to the hair dressers... heh he Laughing Laughing Wink

Why settle for a half measure, go the whole enchilada, go the CUMMINS.. !!
There is a High Mileage Club with over a million miles on a Cummins, one just broke two million miles..... Exclamation Some routinely put over 700 HP on the original lower end without modifications for the tractor pulls... I would go the Cummins without a doubt..

Now I looked at that Site and here is my advice: Without seeing it you need to know about the dash (Shogun hand stitches a whole new dash) and the wiring loom (Shogun builds a whole new one not adding on or modifying the old one) and Shogun puts in a whole new steering box... These are things that would indicate a quality conversion. Now Shogun did say the trained up a Mob down south to do conversions, THIS COULD BE THEM... I would email Shogun for advice on the matter, they would no doubt know of them, and at least be able to tell you of any weaknesses you could look for..

Sorry = Can't tell you more, but if I was in the market I would email Shogun to see what they say, good or bad, and immedieately fly down for a look for myself... I personally like the Mega Cab, and the Longhorn western interior, but still a very nice truck for the money...

Kind regards... Ranger

Last edited by Bushtracker on Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:57 am; edited 2 times in total
onthemove

State:: vic
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris
I think Steve is right in saying that it would be better to go for the 2500 or 3500

I thought that the 1500 would be the one as it was previously reported to be coming out with more power and torque than the Grand Cherokee. It looks now to be the same Sad(

Also the dimensions ie length and width are the same as the HD trucks so nothing really gained in size. I always thought that the 1500 would be more managable. Also towing was rumoured to be 4000+kg but that might not be the case now.

Like the cowboy says, no point really not to get a 2500 or 3500

I just got off the phone with Shogun and they can do a 2013 brand new truck for the same price as a used 2011 because of the new factory in the Philipines. Only prob is 5 month wait....
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Chris,
A final comment in this thread, regarding your two concerns...

First, I have made a detailed examination of the Shogun conversion, and it appears to be the best I have seen, having owned four Fords and two Chevrolets doing R&D for you Owners. The steering conversion is massive and supreme. If they have to shift the motor 5mm, I would not be worried about it in the least, their Engineering is superb and I would not hesitate to get another truck from them, all the way down to the fully redone Navigation System for Australia, everything is the best...

Now, the biggest concern, is finance, and I share your insecurity but there is an answer: Keep in mind that any Company could (and many have) go under with your incompleted project or deposit. There is not much more security that way here... Except for Bushtracker, we are one of the few Companies this size with no debt, never had any debt... Wink However, talk to Shogun about an Insurance Plan they mentioned to me when I said some Customers would be insecure about putting that kind of money out based on just pictures of a truck in America before shipping... They indicated they had a Company that would insure the truck, based on the VIN (original Vehicle Identification Number) and in fact were looking to offer that Policy just for this concern...

I have told them they either need to have stock (which they say they are trying to float by the end of the year) or have this Insurance Policy to offer people peace of mind that are forking out $60,000 or more to pay for the trucks and freight. Conversion is another $40,000 or so, and I have mentioned some of the highest quality I have seen on conversions in a previous post.

I might do it myself, to get the new features advertised starting with the 2013's like the Big Rig 20,000 km oil change intervals and the front end 4x4 disconnect.
But I might just keep my 2yr old scratched up Longhorn addition, as I am just that fond of it.. Heck, with all the scrapes and scratches, and dirty from being out on the horse property, it just looks authentically like a Cowboy Truck... Which it is.. I have to run it about 2,900,000 kms before I beat the high mileage club top dog...heh he Laughing Laughing Laughing

Kind regards, on the road, Ranger
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Nick,

Cowboy here (not really, but yes half a Horseman)...

Look, I know these trucks better than anyone in Australia just about, my first Dodge was a 1961 I rode around in from new as a kid and was later given it.. For these larger vans, for Bushtracker in the past 12 years I have done the R&D on what 5 Fords now? in the F-250, F-350, and even one F-450.. Two Silverados, 2500 HD and the 3500 HD and this current Dodge Cummins Ram. My advice should have some weight, so here are three points for you:

1) Sometimes the 350 or 3500 range, has some heavier duty options in diffs and running gear in general. It is usually not just springs and suspensions, it is often even tie rod ends, tie rods, tail shafts (drivelines in U.S. lingo) and even things like transmission coolers and gearing.. The 250 or 2500 range is more the non-pro vehicle, where the 350 /3500 range starts the Professional and Commercial range of truck in running gear...

2) The F-350 or Silverado or Dodge 3500 range, does not have to be a Duallie, so do not let that discourage you. All of the "Big Three" have the 350/3500 range usually available in SRW (Single Rear Wheel)...

3) Not only is the truck heavier duty, but it will have a better resale value. I mean particularly the Dually (which I like for all six wheels driving), for hauling fifth wheels and goosenecks and horsefloats.. Even if not a Duallie, the 350-3500 range will have more resale value added, than the extra cost to buy it. Further you not have a chance of overloading it unless you really try hard.. Price it up, I think you will find the price between the 250/350 SRW, or 2500/3500 SRW is not very significant and will be worth more on resale even in the SRW form. It is just more of a truck in every respect.. Worth a look...

One more thing: WELCOME TO THE FORUM, POST NUMBER 1and a good one at that....

Regards, Cowboy, da lone road Ranger
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Friends,

The Phillipines Factory is finally up and running. There is limited stock in Australia in Sydney's Shogun outlet, but more is on the way. For those of you Cummins Fans, here are some pictures of the Factory sent to me..

Having had both top of the line in the past 12 months, a Sahara and my Dodge Cummin Ram MegaCab, I can tell you there is just no comparison. Power, security, control, luxury, it has it all.. Further: The Engine Brake works better than the Fords and Chevs I have owned as well.. Nothing like it. For smaller vans, coming back to the city, fine- Landcruiser is King. Mind you even then the Dodge Ram does it better. But for vans over say 21'? Hands down, no comparison, safety, ride, luxury, brakes, power, control, the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesel RULES! Wink

Further, for those that may not know me, let me just state this for the record: This R&D is all for your benefit. I get nothing out of this, no commission, no new truck, nothing. What I report is unbiased and has no commercial link or motivation, it is truly in the "Bushtracker Owners Best Interests".

Kind regards from the lone Ranger on the road with Cummins....

Last edited by Bushtracker on Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:06 am; edited 2 times in total
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Friends,

I am going on a year now, and really am a total Cummins Fan! Engine access, proven engine long term life expectancy, major engine brake in Tow/Haul mode, this is by far the best. However, what I have wanted to do, is clean up the exhaust and run a Tow Tune Tuner like Smarty Jr. and be able to report on the real fuel economy that is just heresay on the Forums.. I want to offer you empirical evidence with my own tested R&D with Bushtracker. It really has been a comedy of errors, goods like winch and tuner and custom exhaust I had ordered early in the year, have been lost and found a couple of times.. Rolling Eyes

What I do have is one report of 16.5 litres per hundred kms towing 20'. And now this report: Here is a Dodge Ram, a 2500 Lariet, with the Smarty Jr Tuner and custom exhaust with a few engine mods:

Now this is a few years old, but it has the first of the current 6.7 Cummins engine, and why I am showing this to you is he HAS the Smarty Jr Tuner, and custom exhaust and did 11.5 ltrs per 100 on the way here from Melbourne... That is a ton heavier than a Landcruiser, canopy, large steel bullbar and winch, extra fuel, larger everything, and loaded up with gear for his Bushtracker, and with all of that 11.5/100........... Wow.. Shocked My 200 Series loaded up did not get that.

I will have mine when my Tuner finally get here (supposedly on the way but not holding my breath... Rolling Eyes ) These reports of 11.5 lts/hundred running loaded up long haul from Melbourne, and 16.5 ltr/100 towing a 20' Bushtracker.... These reports put the Dodge Cummins Ram at the very "Top of the Heap" for fuel economy. Never mind the most luxurious, toughest, nicest looking, best performing in Tow/Haul mode (and I have owned multiple units of the all the Big Three Ford, Chev, Dodge), never mind all the other niceties, that is all just personal taste and will vary Person to Person.. The winner here is: This has the best fuel economy, engine access, of them all... Cummins rules as far as I can test..

That is pretty sweet...

On the road Ranger
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Friends,

On there people doing conversions: Shogun is the only one that have seen that puts in a whole new steering box and system, a whole new injection moulded dash, hand stitched dash finish, and a whole new wiring loom. These are the main issues that define the "conversion" and they don't so called convert, they replace with new gear for RHD...

Most others modify, add on, and so on. I have not seen another conversion this good. I have looked at others for about five years now, and bought the first Shogun one offered, as once I had seen how they did the conversion it gave me confidence in their Product.

Kind regards, on the road, Ranger

Last edited by Bushtracker on Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Thommo

State:: Victoria
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Morning Steve, First let me say Thanks to all at Bushtracker on Monday with our pick up, Fantastic service as usual Very Happy .
On to the subject of fuel economy on our trip back to Melbourne, As you have written above we got 11.5 litres per 100 up from Melbourne, The report on figures traveling with the 24FT BT on the way back to Melbourne was 17 litres per 100 K's which is not bad considering 3300kg empty weight of the van.
The Dodge has bucket loads of horsepower and torque to tow the large BT van. Extremely happy with the performance of the Dodge.
Regards Thommo
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Friends,
On the issue of parts and Service:

Dodge is backed by not only the Conversion People Shogun in Brisbane and Sydney and Philippines, but also Chrysler Australia that backs the Jeep, and bigger yet Cummins Australia. You know how many Cummins Engines there are in Oz in trucks, in boats, in generator sets, in refrigeration units and I don't know what else? Parts are a phone call away. Troubleshooting can be on board with many varieties of Tuners or Computers.

By the way Owners: The first trucks converted in the Philippines are here. A proud Owner came by Bushtracker to show off his Dodge Cummins 2500 Laramie last week.. Conversion was fantastic, it all looked original or better, and he was RAPT !

The President of the Dodge High Mileage Club in America, has just broken 2 million miles on his Cummins. The next top ten have broken a million miles...

On the road with the Ranger

Last edited by Bushtracker on Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Friends,

This is the best value for money I have seen, in Bullbars, and they are in Narangba (north of Brisbane). I have seen about a half dozen, heard no complaints, and it was very well priced. This is the normal style.. They will probably do mine, as Gull Wing Canopy, 5" stainless exhaust, Sinister EGR delete, Smarty jr tuner, and Warn winch were finally found, shipped, in Port and will be delivered to Bushtracker when we are open on the 6-7th.

Stan Freeman l Sales Department l email: sales@customalloy.com.au
Phone: 07 3204 1266 l Fax: 07 3204 2660 l web: www.customalloy.com.au
Custom Alloy Pty Ltd, 25 Business Drive, Narangba,Queensland.4504

On the road with the Ranger
njthommo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Muddy,
I too have ordered a 3500 from Shogun, was to be March delivery, selected and paid for on Nov 7th but still not confirmed to have arrived in LA from Wyoming. I thought logistics were something the good citizens of the USA were expert at but 6 weeks to shift my truck is very frustrating.
I've ordered a trailready bulbar that will be fitted in LA before shipping. I'ts similar to the Buckstop bulbar on the grey Ram in the photo Steve posted on Nov 19th. Trailready also make very neat nudgebars.
Regards Nick
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:17 am    Post subject: THIS TRUCK IS FOR SALE Reply with quote

Hello Friends,

THIS TRUCK FEATURED IN THIS THREAD IS FOR SALE

My Dodge Ram, Dual Rear Wheel, Crew Cab, Mega Cab, Longhorn Edition, Cummins Diesel, 3500 4x4, is for sale. I have decided on my renewal, that having two dual rear wheel Big Rig sort of trucks is ridiculous. I have to keep the MAN 12 speed as it is my gooseneck hauler, so the Dodge Cummins Ram show in this Thread is for sale..

It has the Engine Brake, Tow/Haul Mode, all the bells and whistles you can read about here. The Cummins has been perfect, now at 30,640 kms, almost broken in and running good. AC and heated seats, zone climate control, sunroof/moon roof, hard disc drive stereo recording and jukebox, Base Cannon, Bluetooth, loaded with the works..
Longhorn Western Style leather interior, heated steering wheel option, remote starting with climate control and much more. The DRW (duallie) is a tremendous level of safety and traction... Wink

Built 9/2011, 2012 year model. Dodge Cummins Ram Longhorn model. First Registered 2012

It will come with the following upgrades and countless of hours of work:

Upgraded Tie Rod end system,
Upgraded hitch,
370 litre long range tank mounted under false floor in bed,
with 130 litre Dodge tank, carries 500 litres.
Wired for fridge in back,
Upgraded to Full Nav system built into large screen stereo and back up camera system,
Australian mapping,
4763 kg GVM,

I have countless other goodies on board that I should also mention. They are things that take time and money, but I consider very important like:

A hidden ECU Engine disconnect immobilizer, so even if the bad guys were to come up with a key from the VIN, it still cannot be stolen and still will not start.
And armoured mud flaps.
And high intensity 200 mm large LED back up flood lights on each side:

There is also a manual reset safety for the trailer lights, that protects the circuit feed to the trailer, that has been installed and resets in the upper (of 2) glove box..
There is an added back up safety alarm, not necessary but nice, and able to be switched off, switch on the dash.
There is an armoured safe behind the back seat.
There are Bartlett Chain pin hook up points on heavy plate under the hitch receiver. These were added to make towing over 3500 4500 kg Legal with Bartlett Chains.
There are Anderson plugs for power in the back seat area, as well as back of the bed, rear tank plumbed in to gravity feed the main tank in the bed, and I am sure I will remember more...

For Sale with upgrades $109,000

For Sale, available late January. I have decided it is ridiculous for me keeping two Duallies, keeping up two dual rear wheel trucks just seems silly. I have decided to tow big with my MAN 12 speed auto Dual Cab truck. One of them had to go, so I will stick with the MAN..

Hard to choose, but keeping up two commercial grade dual rear wheel 4x4 trucks is just silly, so this horse hauler rig wins out... MAN 12 speed auto 4x4...

This is the top of the line for Dodge Cummins Ram, Gen 3 Cummins, and the last model you can put a Tuner on if you want. The new DEF models also have a protected ECU and SCR, and cannot be cleaned up and retuned. This is the best they made, with all the bells and whistles, like power rear window to bed, and built in brake controller that reads on the dash instruments, and all readouts and diagnostics in the instrument cluster.

Available late January after going in the paint shop to get a few scrapes and dings pulled out, like the little crease on the rear bumper in the picture above. I jack knifed a 20 trailer too far with a box on the back, didn't I.... Rolling Eyes Laughing

If I do the $3000 in paint and detailing due late January the price will be put up to $115,000. It would still be the cheapest 2012 in CarPoint.com.....

Please contact me at sales@bushtracker.com

Regards, on the road Ranger
Graham and Barbara

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have been following this thread and are seriously looking at changing our L/C to a Ram. What is your opinion of the turning circle of the Ram with a mega cab verses the crew cab? We are debating between the mega cab and crew cab as we carry an Engle and even tho we want a Goldwing canopy, we think that the ride in the back might be a bit rough for the fridge, so could put it inside with a mega cab. What ideas do you suggest. Your Ram sounds like a good buy, however, we do not need the dual wheels. Are you going to get another Ram, from Shogun? regards Graham and Barbara
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry,
Best answer I can give, the shortest in history, is I don't know to either....
I like the safety and traction of a Duallie, but I want a representative vehicle here for Owners to drive, from whomever has the SRW...

Here is another Bushtracker Owners new Dodge coming out of the container... For Bushtracker Owners that want a large van, out of the safety range of a Landcruiser, this is probably the ideal tow vehicle. I want a representative one here, that Owners can experience, on a normal car license...

Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This truck is now sold,
To a Bushtracker Owner..... He got the deal of the decade will all the extra goodies not even in the adv, gull wing canopy, stainless exhaust, Smarty Jr Tuner, Sinister EGR kit...

Anyway, sold. I am going to get one of the new "Add Blue" trucks, in a single rear wheel, white, like the one in the picture above only with silver trim and a short bed. It will be here, more of a Demonstrator here at Bushtracker for you Owners to have a feel of. It will be white, conservative, still the fabulous 6.7 Cummins, a Laramie, and I will start a whole new Thread on the Gen 4 Add Blue trucks....

Look for the new Thread in about a month...
The idea is that a lot of Owners want a larger van than a Landcruiser is safe or legal to tow. And other Owners want to carry more than a Landcruiser can carry. Also, these new Ad Blue trucks are reporting better fuel economy than the Landcruisers can deliver. All in all, I will have a smaller truck here that Owners can experience, normal car License but safer, more capable, a real treat to drive with the luxury and comfort of a Sahara, only a lot safer and more capable. I thought of a new Sahara again, but if you drove this for about the same money, a lot of you would take the Dodge Cummins Diesel...

Kind regards, on the road with the Ranger....
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I will start the new Dodge Cummins Gen 4 Thread this week... They cannot start the conversion on mine until next week, so I will be able to drive it for a few days LHD.

It is already here, so with the RamBoxes, I can have a custom canopy built. This will be here for you to consider, for upgrading to for larger vans out of the safety range of Landcruiser for instance... Look, the truth is that it IS better than a Landcruiser for instance. Not necessary for a smaller van, but for a big one? It will do the job safer, easier, more comfortably, and have FAR more control over the larger vans and have a ton more towing capability. It is far safer, with more power, more brakes, and a lot more control with the leverage of a longer wheelbase. The price is comparable to a Sahara, depending on model and size.

This is a much smaller vehicle than my Duallie. It will not scare you, and you an drive it on a regular car License. It is not that much larger than a Lancruiser, only massive more power with the 6.7 Cummins engine, and massive safety with the Engine Brake and longer wheelbase and more control... Wink
Loki of Condor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a pity they aren't available in an Extra Cab size.
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why??
In the standard Crew Cab they are not much bigger than a standard Cruiser...
Mine is the extended Mega Cab, and it is still only about a meter bigger.. This is about the third time you have mentioned this. Is finding something not offered your way of sour grapesing this great tow vehicle? Laughing Laughing is this your way out? Laughing Laughing Laughing
Loki of Condor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bushtracker wrote:
Why??
In the standard Crew Cab they are not much bigger than a standard Cruiser...
Mine is the extended Mega Cab, and it is still only about a meter bigger.. This is about the third time you have mentioned this. Is finding something not offered your way of sour grapesing this great tow vehicle? Laughing Laughing is this your way out? Laughing Laughing Laughing

No sour grapes Steve.

Just participating in the discussion, if that's still allowed?
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, they certainly do make an "extra cab"....
Fold the seats down into the floor to make up the bed base and you will say: "Wow, do they make an extra cab!!" He heh Laughing Laughing
UEV490

Current Bushtracker owner:: No
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Loki

Just for fun, why not just do a cut and chop job!

http://www.modified.com.au/con-nissan.asp

or Google creative conversions.

Thinking laterally, they pretty much strip the cars down anyway, you might be able to get Shogun to offer that as an option?

Come on Stephen, you know you want one!

Regards
Chris
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this Thread has come to an end, and so has my truck. The new Bushtracker Owner is flying in today..

Sadly, I am selling it, as the big DRW is just too much truck for new Bushtracker Owners to contemplate. I am downsizing to an SRW (Single Rear Wheel) as a more representative vehicle for Bushtracker Owners that want larger vans than what a normal Landcruiser can do safely.

Mind you, the Cummins 6.7 is such a great engine and engine brake, I could justify it on smaller vans as well for the extra power and safety and storage benefits..

Anyway, here She is with her new canopy on board:

There is a final tip to learn on this Thread: You can order the kind of canopy you want, to be fitted and shipped with the truck. I bought the truck already running here, and it was a six month hassle to get this canopy in. Being a Duallie, I wanted the storage on the side, but the boxes unbolt and you can have the normal canopy if you want. You can also have glass gull wing windows for access..

Cheers, on the road with the Ranger
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> Tips on TOW VEHICLES All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: