Manoeuvring Bushtrackers in tight spots with larger Vehicles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> Tips on TOW VEHICLES
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bushtracker
Site Admin

State:: Queensland
Current Bushtracker owner:: Yes
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:53 pm    Post subject: Manoeuvring Bushtrackers in tight spots with larger Vehicles Reply with quote

Hello Bushtracker Friends,

A major problem with the larger vehicles, is tight manoeuvring vans into parking spots. In storage, at home, and particularly in Caravan Parks close to major destinations.. Wink

It can be tight, in the last Caravan Park near Sydney, or the one close to Perth, where land prices are so expensive sometimes they make it a bit too dense.. With a larger tow vehicle sometimes the lanes are just a bit too tight to manoeuvre in when trying to back up, especially in older parks and those near major cities or Tourist destinations. When this happens, you stop and disconnect, and if you build this in a custom Bull Bar, it is easy peasy.. Look just to the left of my License Plate, a receiver for a hitch...

You cannot reverse it in? Too tight? You stop and unhook. You needed to unhook anyway. You take off the hitch and slide it in the receiver in the front (custom built into a Bull Bar, not too hard, for light duty work manoeuvring in narrow lanes or tight spots..) Then, it is easy, just push it where you want it.

Then you have steering in the front and can push it ANYWHERE, just like a forklift... If you are custom building a Bull Bar like most do for larger tow vehicles, this is no big deal to build in place. It will make ALL the difference.

Now: If you have a smaller tow vehicle like a Landcruiser? You can back it in normally. I suggest you just practice in an empty parking lot until you get it... This more for trucks like, Isuzu, Ford, Chevrolet, and the best for engine access the Dodge Cummins Diesel...

This is not original or my invention, if you notice on bigger Ring Feeder type trucks, many have a drop pin in the front, and that is where I got the idea many years ago.. For pushing trailers around into tight spots.

Another dumb tip from your faithful compatriot... Bushtracker Owner 1, heh he Wink
onthemove

State:: vic
Current Bushtracker owner:: Ordered
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve

I have been thinking about doing this for ages but wasn't sure if it really 'worked'? Rolling Eyes

I have met a couple of people that had American trucks that got their vans in ok but when it came to leave they were boxed in and couldn't hook up Embarassed

BTW does it work better if the hitch is offset (say on the pass side) so you can see past the van?

Cheers
JP
Devils On The Prowl

State:: Tas
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I've tried to do this on two vehicles in the past. Had it on another vehicle that had no air bags and it was just fantastic in tight remote camps and tracks.

But all the big Bullbar Companies refused to alter it stating about Air Bag compliance and insurance problems.

They stated if you wanted it done you'll have to go to a backyard mob and take the consensus if there is an accident and the air bags don't go off for your passengers.

But, beware, not everything is as it seems when using this hitch on tight tracks. I had the van on the front hitch for nearly 1 km along this track before getting it in-between two offset trees one on either side of the track, it was tight but eventually got it through. But on the way back out, it was a whole different story. The angle of the approach on the way out is quite different to that on the way in and we spent nearly four hours hooking and un-hooking to get back between those two trees.
In case you are thinking, they were far too big to cut down even with my 64 chainsaw.
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now you might be getting carried away here.....
This only for parking it up in tight spots like caravan parks or in a tight spot at home... Nothing more. They can custom build to suit winches, this just a simple socket receiver for a hitch...

It just gives you that extra mobility to manoeuvre in a much tighter turn with positive control...
onthemove

State:: vic
Current Bushtracker owner:: Ordered
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

onthemove wrote:
Hi Steve

BTW does it work better if the hitch is offset (say on the pass side) so you can see past the van?

Cheers
JP

Any thoughts?? Very Happy
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly I do not know... This trick of having the hitch receiver on the front is common in the U.S. for more than my Lifetime, and the extra Pin for the Dog Trailers on the front of trucks is at least 40 years old, but I have only ever seen it in the middle.

I would put it in the middle, down on one side could possibly be an advantage in one arc, but probably a disadvantage in the other. Also, keep in mind as you steer it over into a tight parking spot, you are going to steer it from 45 degrees to 90 degrees, I do not think you will have trouble seeing down the side of the van. You should always have someone out on your blind side guiding anyway.

Kind regards, Steven Gibbs, Old School Rig Junkie... Admin...
thesmiths

State:: NSW
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:17 pm    Post subject: Bullbar Reply with quote

Hi Steve on my 2014 Ram I had this mod done after the event as east coast bullbars would not have a bar of it excuse the pun. I am about to order a new Ram who do you get to build your bar?
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello "Smiths",

I had SCD bring it in with the truck.
It is very heavy duty, made to prevent hitting cattle from killing truck and driver. It is quite common on west Texas highways at night as they panic at oncoming traffic and try to rejoin the herd... It is called "Ranch Hand" and is very strong and steel.. They say "steel is real"...

Anyway, this is my second one, and they (SCD) just brought it in with the trucks.. Talk with them, as shipping would wipe the idea except they can bring it with their Ram imports...

It is about the strongest I have ever seen.. I also got the rear bumper, similiarly as strong, to protect the truck from tailgating "wild P Platers".. Heh he..

Kind regards, Steven Gibbs
thesmiths

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for that Steve I will get in touch with SCD and see whether they will bring me one in. Have you changed the front springs to compensate for the weight or are the original springs able to carry the extra weight?
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thesmiths wrote:
Thank you very much for that Steve I will get in touch with SCD and see whether they will bring me one in. Have you changed the front springs to compensate for the weight or are the original springs able to carry the extra weight?

I have the snowplow option on my current Ram you see pictures of here with that Ranch Hand bullbar.. I am assuming they came with heavier springs.. But I put the 2" lift in the front anyway. Yours will probably carry it, with or without heavier springs, if you put the lift in. I just wanted a 2" lift so have that on my new Ram with the system shown below, but these shown did not fit my new Ram. My experience is that the coils do not go down that much, it is just that the wheel travel on the front axle to the chassis stops, means it would bottom out more easily and be a rougher ride on the ruts..

The easy fix is I have two 1 1/2" front lifts for your truck, it is a bolt on affair that creates a new spring hanger socket at the top of the coils, see below. I have two, you can have for $150, but I am not sure they fit the 2014, ask SCD. Also, BTW, that is not spread mesh on the front to keep the animal from coming through to damage the cooling system, that is laser cut plate steel.. It is the strongest BB I have seen. Anyway: That is how I handled the first Ranch Hand BB on this truck, a 2012 Ram, with my first Ranch Hand Bullbar... It is simple and just increased the distance to the bump stop with the simple lift kit, looks like this:

thesmiths

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve

Thanks again for the help, I bought the ARB lights from you a couple of years ago I am assuming that if I went for the ranch hand bar then I will need to change the lights to a different style that will sit in front of the mesh? I am looking at changing my 2014 Ram for a '17 model so will look into the spacers thanks again
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> Tips on TOW VEHICLES All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: