R&D ON THE NEW DODGE RAM ADBLUE CUMMINS DIESEL
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> Tips on TOW VEHICLES
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bushtracker
Site Admin

State:: Queensland
Current Bushtracker owner:: Yes
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Friends,
Matthew is doing R&D on SCD's new 2015 year model, this "Granite Crystal Metalic" coloured Dodge Cummins Diesel Ram..

There are two distinct new features that he has elected to try out.. The first is a full air suspension in the rear, self levelling, to what ever level you set it at...

The other is an auto deploy side step when you open the door, that automatically tucks up out of the way with the door closing... Hmmmm

Now if you are asking the lone Ranger what he thinks about these... Look, I sort of think they are both totally unnecessary and add more complication and fragile equipment in off-road conditions.

I would not opt for either. I mean: I would not necessarily recommend either. Why? The auto adjust air suspension in the rear might make sense if you had a Dual Rear Wheel 3500 and a Gooseneck, as a big gooseneck would set the back down and this saves a step of levelling it back up every time you unhook and hook back up.. Without that necessity, it seems to me this is an unnecessary complication, more to go wrong, even fragile in the gravel shower out west. I think for our application the straight large coil rear end as in my 2014 is adequate and in fact preferred for strength and reliability..

The same goes for the auto deploy sidestep: Now it suits Matthew as he has a specific application in that he travels with three small Children. The step is wider and goes a bit closer to the ground, so if you had a disability or special needs, then maybe. Personally I would not like the fragility to high center or jamb up, again more to go wrong. Further IMO the Chrome heavy duty bar will stop some body damage in high centering on dirt, and further will act as a guard to shopping cart and door swing damage in parking lots... Wink

I cannot say, for most of you, that I would recommend either.. New and trendy but IMO neither of these is really an improvement nor as robust. The metal side step is plenty large and adequate, and protects the body to some degree in a high centre situation and in parking lots against shopping carts..

What he does have is the new keyless ignition, hmmm, I would not mind having that but I will stick with mine for the longer haul I think...

Kind regards, on the Road Ranger
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Friends

I wrote: "The other thing I am testing, is the bounding affect, sort of a hobby horse of the tow vehicle with a big van on the back, on the right road conditions. With the truck loaded, the front end can get a bit of a bound on certain road humps and ruts as the front shocks get over ridden. This has happened with all major tow vehicles from Toyota through Ford, Chevs, and the Dodges. Stock shocks are just not made for that kind of work, and it happens now and then, a bit of bounding on the front end. I have replaced the shocks with Bilstein longer heavy duty Shocks, and I will test it as soon as.. And give you a report asap.. "

Well, my report is that it is a vast improvement. We have a bounding sort of a road undulation here near Bushtracker, and even with a large well equipped heavy 21' that tared nearly 2.8 tons, the bound in the front end is like a normal unloaded truck. The big Bilstein Shocks arrested it right away. Having tested it a number of times now I can say: They ARE the way to go...

Thumbs up from the Road Ranger... Exclamation Wink
SLIDER

State:: NSW
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:12 pm    Post subject: Dodges and CB's? Reply with quote

Hi Steve,

we are currently waiting for our Dodge 3500 and would like to know where is the best place to put a CB in the Dodge, as we will be getting Sound in motion to do this.
If you could give some advice on this it would be greatly appreciated

thanks

Suzanne
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry,
As the people that do the conversion... When I know I can tell you, and when I do not know, I will also tell it to you straight up.

I have a mobile UHF, hand held, in my last couple of trucks. I would only be guessing, better to talk with SCD as they are the best...

Kind regards, stg

Last edited by Bushtracker on Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BIG NEWS: Well this definitely puts the Dodge Ram out front... more safety, more power, more comfort, longer wheelbase, better fuel economy, and now Nationwide Service:

I mean for engineering reasons it is out front anyway, with total engine and turbo access under the bonnet as it is an in line 6 cylinder 6.7 Cummins diesel... But now it also has Nationwide Dealerships even more because Chrysler is going to import them for Nationwide distribution... This is BIG:

NEWS RELEASE!
RAM confirmed for Oz

The Walkinshaw group – best known for its relationship with Holden – will design, engineer and manufacture right-hand drive versions of heavy-duty RAM trucks in Melbourne from September as part of a deal developed by former Fiat Chrysler Automobiles Australia boss Clyde Campbell and his business partner, New Zealander Neville Crichton.

The 2500 and 3500 versions of the RAM will be purchased in left-hand drive ex-factory from North America and will come with full-volume Australian Design Rule compliance, meaning they can be sold in unlimited numbers Down Under.

The deal has been officially signed off by Fiat Chrysler Automobiles as an official factory-backed import and conversion program for the RAM truck range in Australia and New Zealand.

And: For pictures and such here is the URL

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/technology/dodge-ram-pick-ups-are-coming-with-help-from-holden-special-vehicles/story-fnjwq1p2-1227298550579

TECHNOLOGY

Dodge Ram pick-ups are coming — with help from Holden Special Vehicles
JOSHUA DOWLING NATIONAL MOTORING EDITOR NEWS CORP AUSTRALIA NETWORK APRIL 11, 2015 6:43AM SHARE

Bigfoot ... the biggest baddest pick-ups from the US are coming. Photo: SuppliedBigfoot ... the biggest baddest pick-ups from the US are coming. Photo: Supplied

Super Bowl 2015: Dodge Ad
Super Bowl 2015: Dodge Ad
Bigfoot ... the biggest baddest pick-ups...Super Bowl 2015: Dodge Ad
THE ute market in Australia is now so huge that some of the biggest pick-ups in the world are about to hit our roads.

Super-sized Dodge Ram pick-ups are coming to Australia in a top-secret deal that will see experts from Holden Special Vehicles complete the conversion from left to right-hand-drive.

It’s the first time a full-size US pick-up will be sold in Australia with manufacturer backing since the iconic Ford F-Series pick-up was dropped locally in 2007.

Better get a bigger boat ... Dodge Ram pick-ups are due later this year. Photo: Supplied
Better get a bigger boat ... Dodge Ram pick-ups are due later this year. Photo: Supplied
Fiat Chrysler Automobiles’ global head office has awarded exclusive rights to a local distributor who will convert Dodge Ram pick-ups for Australia.

Industry sources say the parent company of Holden Special Vehicles, the Walkinshaw Group, which can undertake contract work outside of General Motors, has been closely involved in the engineering process.

“We will not confirm or deny any other partners other than Fiat Chrysler Group globally,” said Clyde Campbell, the former boss of Fiat Chrysler Australia who is now the distributor for Fiat and Chysler vehicles in New Zealand and is heading up the Dodge Ram deal.

Ram raid ... the first factory-grade full-size pick-ups in Australia since 2007. Photo: S
Ram raid ... the first factory-grade full-size pick-ups in Australia since 2007. Photo: Supplied
Mr Campbell said his company had chosen “a conversion and engineering partner who provides unrivalled engineering excellence to world-class standards” and who have “an impeccable reputation on a global level in both the motor racing and automotive industries.”

Mr Campbell confirmed Ram pick-ups will go on sale in Australia and New Zealand by the end of this year.

Price and details are yet to be announced but the vehicles are expected to start from $120,000, before more affordable models follow.

Heavy lifting ... Dodge Ram can tow more than 7 tonnes. Photo: Supplied
Heavy lifting ... Dodge Ram can tow more than 7 tonnes. Photo: Supplied
The biggest of the Dodge Ram pick-ups coming to Australia can carry more than 3 tonnes in the ute tub (versus the current category maximum of 1 tonne) and tow more than 7 tonnes (versus the current category maximum of 3.5 tonnes).

Mr Campbell said the vehicles will meet “all government requirements for full volume certification”.

Translated, that means the vehicles will meet the same standards as mass production vehicles; most vehicles converted by smaller operators locally do not meet these mass production standards.

Utes are now the third biggest category in Australia and four of the Top 10 vehicles are workhorses.

Who’s the boss ... Dodge Ram can tow three and a bit HiLuxes. Photo: Supplied
Who’s the boss ... Dodge Ram can tow three and a bit HiLuxes. Photo: Supplied
The Toyota HiLux has been our top-selling vehicle outright more than a dozen months since April 2008.

“Clearly there is demand for this type of vehicle, both in private and fleet sales,” said Mr Campbell.

Dodge Ram is expected to target the mining industry, which needs heavy duty utes, and grey nomads, who want to tow large caravans.

“Until now, the only way to own one of these vehicles in Australia was through a low volume aftermarket conversion,” said Mr Campbell.

“Our vehicles are being developed with the full blessing of Ram and the Fiat Chrysler Automobiles global group.”

Mr Campbell said his company had been working closely with engineers in the US build a vehicle that is “as close to a factory right-hand-drive vehicle as it possibly can be without having run down the production line”.
RobandFlip

State:: Victoria
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To Scolers from the General forum. Steve is spot on with his information about the Ram. We have one and love it. It is running in beautifully, now at 13000ks on the clock, we are getting about 11.5 - 12.5litres on the highway and 18-20 towing our 21ft Bushtracker with "a few extras". We also installed a Titan 240 litre spare fuel tank which is designed to fit into the Ram bed and actually sits perfectly to the front of the wheel arches. This was an import.

For Loki, Adblue is $1 per litre. As Steve said, depends on the situation towing or cruising. We have carried spare but it has an expiry date in a container, so it will be on a needs basis. Most big BP servos sell it on the pump. A magnet is needed to access the pump and the servos will supply one. We also noticed the Adblue reduces the exhaust "diesel" smell.

Overall, towing the Bushtracker is too easy and you can forget it is even there. So we check mirrors and camera more often. We have had no problems with the Ram and we believe parts will be readily available with the new Holden Special Vehicle arrangement and Cummins dealers are everywhere for servicing.
Cheers,
Robyn and Phillip
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To those questioning oil, please do not speculate or guess on this one, it is too important.. I have deleted those posts and misleading as they could be dangerous and expensive... There are two things here, oil weight and designator for the DPF... The DPF will actually clog up, shorten its life without the right oil.

With my research 5w - 40 you have been talking about is for the cold country and snow... Cold starts... We want 15-40 for the hot weather...

Now very important, like MOST important: For the DPF systems there is a designator that is higher. It will shorten the life of your DPF not to use the extra additives for the DPF system.

In Mobile Delo-400 it is the Delo-400 LE, the LE is for the DPF emission control systems, but that is just for Delo/Mobil, and in the hot weather 15-40 in weight. CJ-something. In Valvoline, recommended by Cummins: It is PREMIUM BLUE EXTREME, CJ-4/SM Again in 15-40 weight.. The 15/40 is important, but if you have an intact DPF system, to clog up and ruin your DPF can be a $5000 mistake.

Trust the Road Ranger... He only looks stupid.. heh he...

Kind regards, stg Laughing
Condinup

State:: WA
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think it is Caltex Delo 400 LE.
Low Ash.
re
mg
Scolers

State:: Qld
Current Bushtracker owner:: No
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RobandFlip wrote:
To Scolers from the General forum. Steve is spot on with his information about the Ram. We have one and love it. It is running in beautifully, now at 13000ks on the clock, we are getting about 11.5 - 12.5litres on the highway and 18-20 towing our 21ft Bushtracker with "a few extras". We also installed a Titan 240 litre spare fuel tank which is designed to fit into the Ram bed and actually sits perfectly to the front of the wheel arches. This was an import.

Robyn and Phillip

Thanks to Robyn and Phillip for the information. Very Happy

Scol.
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something of note has just happened with regards to the top two tow vehicles.. Now understand, my analysis is from empirical testing like real time ownership and use.. I have both of the top of the top in tow vehicles right now in my R&D program, a 2014 Sahara and a 2015 Dodge Cummins Diesel. Interestingly, after a trip just last month a couple thousand kms up north, my Wife has decided She likes Dodge Cummins Ram better... Hmmm Shocked

Now that is a surprise, as I would have thought She would be happier with the Sahara. For those of you who do not know, Outback trips are now too hard for her with some structural bone problems in her neck that may need to be fused, so this was a real surprise. She likes it for the size, and room, and power, and the presence on the road and the feeling of the larger vehicle on a trip...

Also the fridge and slide out and canopy and storage, as well as respect and security on the road, She just likes it better... Heh he... She claims the ride is close enough, that the security and extra room and storage make it her choice from now on..

I am not going to argue, you are in a bigger more powerful secure feeling tow vehicle in the Dodge.. A 22' heavily loaded van, last long haul from Melbourne, is like a Landcruiser towing a 16', you hardly know it is on the back.. Laughing Laughing Laughing It is still at that margin of size of Bushtracker that makes all the difference. Heavily loaded 21' and larger and the Dodge is superior in every way... 20' and smaller? The Dodge is still superior in every way but not necessary. I mean safety, control, fuel economy, tow haul mode, engine brake, wheelbase leverage on the van, every measure: But at 20' and less it is not necessary.. Around town? I take my Dodge everywhere, market, dentist, mall, everywhere. I mean if you back it in, it lines up like the rest, but is TWICE the tow vehicle..

And cool Navigation on the big screen of the new models....

grumpyolephartz

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting to note the thought process changes Steve. I know you are well acquainted with the heavy duty 3500 in 2012.

I recently had fitted a Carli (US made) suspension pack to the 2012 and it rides much better than to feel you needed a permanent 1000 kilos in the rear. I took it for a ride over roads that suffer slips and are a test for many a vehicle and found it handled the road with nearly the aplomb of a German car we drive. I need to do a longer drive with the BT on the tow bar now though

Love to have radar cruise control though now Twisted Evil Rolling Eyes
jmacca

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Steve,

Some advice on what you think.

Dodge RAM 2500 2014 with stock suspension. 5000Km's on the clock. SCD Conversion.

ECB alloy bulbar, no winch.

Driving out west over the usual bad road between Dalby and Roma where you get alot of bouncing with the stock soft suspension.

Got back from trip and realised the passenger side front spring had almost come completely out, went to suspension place to get it pushed back in and they showed me the issue. There is way too much travel when the shocks are at full extension the spring is quite loose.

Some more research and turns out is a known problem.

Looking at getting some heavy duty Bilsteins but doesn't fix the problem of the extended travel in the shocks since they'll be the same length.

Thoughts?

Regards
Justin
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW!
You must have hit it pretty hard to get that much rebound to do that! Shocked
I have not heard of the problem before, you must have gone near airborne on the front end, it has not happened to any of the ones I have had, nor have I heard of it.

A fix? Now this is a guess only: Have a look at the truck and how it sits, because it is easy to put a 2" lift in the front. It is a new 2" polyurethane coil spring mount base, and that would take any play out of the coil in the front. Now that is just a guess, talk it over with Steve at SCD in Brisbane. I actually have a 2" lift, for sale in the pre-loved Bushtracker Category, but I think that is for pre-2014, it came out of a 2013 from memory and is a different diameter. It would certainly take out any play of going airborne as the shocks would limit the drop, but see if they have heard of this at SCD because there may be a better fix... I am only guessing..

Kind regards, stg
Ted & Narelle

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe travelling to fast for the conditions slow down and smell the roses Very Happy Very Happy
legendts

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wondering how Matthew is finding the air suspension and auto deploy steps? Do the auto deploy steps get more dirt on them than the fixed type? Is the ride better with the air on the rear?
R&R Leisure Time

State:: Tasmania
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about the air suspension but I had the steps installed on my ford 4 years a go and my wife loves them and I have had no problems with them at all
legendts

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks R&R Leisure Time. Do they get any dirtier than the fixed ones?
R&R Leisure Time

State:: Tasmania
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They collect dirt on top of them which means you have to have the door open a bit to clean them but this is not a problem also you get a bit of extra dirt/mud on the bottom of your door
legendts

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for the feedback.
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Friends,

After a year, I have finally finished off this vehicle. One of the last things I wanted was a good quality snorkel and here it finally is after a year. It is just hard to find the time sometimes, to get everything done, but finally:

I have just installed this new snorkel, from supplied by SCD. You can hardly see it from the Drivers seat due to the door frame and windscreen post. I have had this Dodge for what, a year now, and could NOT be happier with the vehicle!

For any of you interested, it will be on display.

Kind regards, Steven Gibbs, Director
grumpyolephartz

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmacca wrote:
Hey Steve,

Some advice on what you think.

Dodge RAM 2500 2014 with stock suspension. 5000Km's on the clock. SCD conversion

Driving out west over the usual bad road between Dalby and Roma where you get alot of bouncing with the stock soft suspension.

Got back from trip and realised the passenger side front spring had almost come completely out, went to suspension place to get it pushed back in and they showed me the issue. There is way too much travel when the shocks are at full extension the spring is quite loose.
Justin

Just reading your post again Justin, I was speaking with some folks with one in Derby that had a bulging experience with their springs. I think they were able to get Kimgs make special twist of wire replacing the standard ones. They asserted that the positioning of the coils in the receivers at the top wasn't correct. I guess that may have happened in part of the conversion.

I have a Carli Pintop kit in my 2012 which makes a fantastic ride quality against the standard.
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Friends,

With at least 50 Dodge Cummins Diesels running now: This is a very rare occurrence, and we have not seen it... No telling what the cause, maybe they were bounding too hard.. However, we do load up the front ends with bull bars and winches and there are heavier coils for this.

Now, if you were ordering a truck: Because of our tendency to put on big bull bars and possibly winches, there are snow plough option coils to carry larger front end loads... That or you can just have a good Company like SCD (the best conversions I have seen;) you can have them order you the heavier coils and put them in here for you during the conversion process. That is what I suggest if you plan on winch and bull bar.

In the case of this truck, I have THE heaviest all steel Ranch Hand bull bar and Warn winch, but my truck came with the heavier snow plough coils from the Factory.. Just lucky as I did not order the truck, so I did not have to change them out. To stop bounding I added Bilstein Shocks, all sweet now...

I would say this is not a Dodge problem, it is probably us bounding and overloading the front end with bull bars and winches, on stock coils not designed for that. Brought in by SCD in the bed of a truck being shipped, a set of heavier coils is not an expensive option... My truck sits up a little higher than stock in the front, even with the heavy steel cattle punching bull bar, as I also have a 2" lift for the heavy loading, which is a new coil seat for the top of the coils. Again, works like a Champ and is not expensive..

Kind regards, from the one that experiments with all the horses:

Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright,
Here is some news.......

With the modifications I have done, including the Ram Air to the Air Box on the Cummins, and blocking off the front air intake between the filter and that front air intake, it is a RAGING success.... There are a few secrets to it, an one cool invention that I came up with that works, and I have told SCD about it. Don't do the snorkel job without talking to me or SCD, as there is an important trick. I will have more on it with pictures when I get caught up..

Right now the news: I may now have the near record fuel economy coaxed out of Dodge Cummins Diesel. I have just been and the Bushtracker Owners Group Rally, and I reset the trip mileage as soon as I was out of the boondocks and back on the M1. By the way the Rally was really great, and I will Post some pictures, around 80 Bushtracker vans. What a wonderful group of People, it was good fun and a fabulous spit roast of lamb and pork and GREAT Company!!

Anyway, towing about 3 tonnes, with a loaded 20' Bushtracker on the back, 252 kms on the highway at a slightly reduced speed I came home at 100 km/hr. There were a few slower spots at 80 and 90 zones with a little traffic but I tried to keep it on a 100. To see the difference with my modifications, and the trip gauge reset once I was on the highway, by the time I got back to Kunda Park it registered 16.3 litres per hundred..

I doooo love this truck! Wink
On the road with the Ranger......

Edit: Matthew has just gotten back from the same site, same reset on the highway, and has reported 18.2 lt/100k for the same trip... Hmmm Well, so my modifications are probably not worth it, the AdBlue Dodges are getting just that good of fuel economy it is not worth the trouble to do the mods... But, I like all of it, and the snorkel as well, and we don't know if we don't go, so I am not sorry I have tried... Regards, stg
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright Friends,

I love my truck. I mean it is so good, the American Truck R&D program is now pretty much halted until some new model comes out.. There are rumours about 2018, but until something dramatic happens I want to take premium care of and protect this truck..

You know I am not selling anything, you know this R&D on vehicles is all for your own benefit. I am going to show you the latest addition that will come to my Dodge Cummins Diesel, a heavy duty box section rear bumper and step..

Now before you discount the value of this, let me tell you why: The biggest risk to the front clip and all the coolers for the engine, and safety for the passengers is greatly enhanced by a good strong Bull Bar... Mine is chassis mounted, done big time, Ranch Hand made to save the drivers from cattle running across the highway at night in Texas. All steel, powder coated, supplied by SCD and reasonably inexpensive compared to weaker custom bars made here.. Alloy bars just fold up into the body work.. This is 4 and 6mm steel:

Now, the biggest risk to the rear of the truck, is by poor drivers in town traffic rear ending you. I just had to replace my tailgate, and rear bumper. It takes too long to get body parts to get these fixed up, so I am adding a box section heavy duty rear bumper. This one is my choice of about six choices, by Ranch King. And again, SCD will bring it in in the bed of a truck.
Here is the link to their site, as supplied to me from SCD:

http://www.peacemakerbumpers.com/Dodge_Rear_Replacements.html

They show you about ten style choices all the way to wrap around bumpers for Dualies, and here is my choice, as shown on this black Dodge picture. Again chassis mounted and where the chrome bumper just dents in, this box section will probably take ten times the rear "bump" in traffic and save the tailgate and quarter panels.. It is coming:

Kind regards, on the road with the Ranger, yea, mad about trucks... heh he
Cowboy Cadillac, my version of a luxury car, and drive it every day..! And with a little prang I had to replace the whole tailgate and my chrome bumper has a dent in.. IMO this one will take ten times the hit, and only have to be touched up with a spray can... heh he Wink

Last edited by Bushtracker on Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:47 am; edited 2 times in total
legendts

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good Steve. Where is the hitch fitted?
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You cannot really see it well in the photos,

But the "receiver" as it is call on American trucks, is just below the lip of the center platform of the bumper... If you look at some of the other pictures you can see the factory receiver in a little bit and just below... The write up on this one I ordered says:

"Traditional design... new look. If you want have been looking for the strength of a rear pipe bumper but needed something just a little different than what everyone else has, the Ranch King Rear is it. This bumper will retain the factory receiver hitch, comes standard with white reverse lights and sensor holes. Best of all it has beveled corners that follow the contour of the side of the truck. It is finished with black gloss powdercoat. No accessories or modifications available on this bumper. (Approx. 135 lbs)"
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it, thanks Steve. Enlarging it for the old eyes makes a huge difference. Very Happy

Edit, for Everyone's benefit, on going support from the lone Ranger: Delo 400 LE is OK, but uniformly SCD and Cummins and others are saying this is now considered to be the best oil...

Forgive the picture on it's side, I have rotated it and loaded it twice and it keeps retaining some old formatting some how... You will have to put up with it..
Wink
Bill

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:36 am    Post subject: WiTECH Reply with quote

For anyone with a RAM going through Sydney US Auto's at Seven Hills have a factory linked WiTECH. When hooked up to the truck it can diagnose codes, do updates to software etc. I recently had an update to my MY 15 RAM which of course I was unaware existed before the truck was hooked up. I also had quite a few DTC's cleared and was able to diagnose and fix a fault showing up as the ESC light was constantly on. When the truck is hooked up to the WiTECH it is connected straight through to RAM somewhere in the US. It reads the VIN and anything relevant to the particular truck is accessible.
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, here is a big one, and no good for the city but:

I am considering the same truck in a MegaCab.. Now, the why? Just suits me. I have two different lives, in town and out on the horse property. Further, I have brought up three great horses, all Prospects for Non-Pro Champions, and I am going back to competing horses. All the extra junk I carry, boots and spurs, clothes and jackets, by R.M. Williams briefcase and computer gear, and a lot more is clogging up the back seat area. I really need the MegaCab.. Rolling Eyes

Further, my dog Cody is even being shut out, the bed is just too full. The MegaCab can have the optional long-range tank, and that will clear up the bed so Cody and go in and turn around.. What you see in this picture is the National Luna fridge/freezer, and a lock up tool box forward, and on the left my Mechanic set, and six jerry cans in racks that I pump out of.

Now, two important things:

1) Yes, if I go this way, my truck will be available around March of next year in near stock condition, about 25,000 kms.

Please do not ask about it here on the Forum, send email to Bushtracker at sales@bushtracker.com Anything put on here in this Thread will be cheerfully deleted as off track...

2) Despite what unscrupulous Salesmen might say, I find the Big Rig mitre boxes and sold shaft cross over in the heavy duty new firewall, to be a huge advantage. First of all the steering feels better. Besides that, there are thousands of hours of Engineering in the Factory Steering system under the front, and the under the bonnet Engine Bay layout, and nothing is as good as the Factory Engineering layout.. This preserves both of those where any other conversion messes both of those up with added steering, cross over arms, and wrecks the engine bay access making for bad engine and filter access and service and potential conversion problems down the road.

The SCD mitre box solid u-joint shaft drive, I show you pictures in this Topic further up, preserves the original steering and engine bay Engineering, and is superior to all other conversions. Because of this, I am going to try and get a white MegaCab from them if possible... Why white, my Ranch Hand Bull Bar, Leer canopy, bed slide out, my Ranch King rear bumper coming, Warn Winch, everything down to the custom exhaust can change over to the new truck...

These trucks still RULE... Cummins 6.7 six cylinder, with: Under bonnet engine access, is still the undisputed best. I have had four Fords, two Silverados, and this is my choice.

On the road, Ranger
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright "Rig Junkies" this is a fun one for you....

I love my trucks, and I extensively modify them to become custom rigs... Now my front end is heavily protected by the toughest steel bullbar I have ever seen, made to save the driver hitting cattle. That Ranch Hand is really tough stuff, heavy plate, heavy tubular, main chassis connection points, very strong.
It is all about not being put off the road for many months by an accident or big Red Roo or goat or something heh? Shocked

Now, my latest concern is with the bad drivers these days tailgating: Like agro P Platers, and general aggressive driving by people as if rushing and pressing and aggressive driving was going to make up for a lack of success in the rest of their lives in this slow economy? Anyway, again, someone tailgating me, if I had to slam on the brakes for an animal or accident ahead, rear ending me with the stock bumper could ruin my tailgate and bed and rear quarter panels... This is my latest additon:

Ranch King rear bumper, out a bit, in 4-5mm tubular construction and maybe 13-14mm plate steel to tie in the about 5? mm tubular steel shown here by the back hitch area. Heavy duty stuff, about 135 lbs..

It sticks out about another 100 mm, but would withstand a reasonable rear end smash around town...

Tail gating me, I used to think "If I have to brake suddenly, Whoa I am in trouble"...... Now I think: "If I have to brake suddenly, Whoa are THEY are in trouble... " Laughing Laughing

Anyway, it does protect the back of my "Custom Truck" and I like the idea, it might be 500% more robust than a standard bumper.. These trucks are hard to get, a wait of like 5 months, and another slug of time to fix them up with all the options I like.. Hmmm

Kind regards, stg
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Friends

This truck is just listed for sale in the Pre-Loved Bushtrackers Category...

I have just ordered a new truck for next year... Why? I love my truck, but living between two Lifestyles, I really could use a Mega Cab to organize myself better. A Mega Cab has the rear seats that fold into the floor to make a double bed, and my Wife in travel with a degenerative bone disease can lay down and pillow up her neck if required. But even more important, the MegaCab gives me a 400 mm or so, luggage area behind the seats. I live between the city, and out Bush with Horses and the Outback, and the back seat is always a mess full of stuff. This will help to organize and store my gear. It will be longer and harder to park, but worth the exercise for me...

Now the surprise news: I have just ordered in a new truck for Deliver about March, from SCD.... The Why, is important.

1) The HSV subsidiaries are not going to bring in the fancier trucks, just the basic Laramie Crew Cab. No Mega Cabs, no Laramie Limited, no Longhorns, just the basic Dodge Ram. While there is nothing wrong with that, since I am not going to retire I decided to spoil myself and get the fancier truck, a Laramie Limited, "loaded"... Power Tow mirrors, power folding mirrors, sunroof, auto rain sensor, fancier stitching and interior, wood accents, sprayed bed liner, chrome trim, and more. All and all just a fancier truck, that the HSV Mob is not going to have, for about the same money.

2) I firmly believe the mitre 90 degree steering gear boxes and shaft drive is a superior conversion. The research was done by pulling apart a Freightliner Semi, getting the mitre box manufacturer for their conversion on line, and SCD are still the only ones doing that shaft drive to my knowledge. Why is is superior? Nothing beats the entire Factory Design Engineering or original steering in the front end, and original engine bay layout.

What the truck has on it, the variations and options, are listed there...
Best regards, Steven Gibbs, Director
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Friends,
I keep getting ask on the controversy of whom does the best conversion. This is my answer and the real Engineering as to why, with pictures you can see for yourself if you get down on your hands and knees and look for yourself..

So all the other Companies use a new right hand steering box... Our drivers side.. The new "made to order" right hand drive steering box proposed still in my view still not as good... Let me digress to show you pictures and try and be more descriptive OK?

First off all, nothing beats the 20 year developmental engineering of the original steering and the original engine bay layout. A new right hand drive steering shaft and steering box wrecks both. However, there is a more serious problem. The original steering box was on the left side (our passenger side). The normal way is to put a right hand steering box in (our drivers side). The problem is this does not work because the steering arm still goes down from the left hand side to the right hand side. Because of this, most use the old steering box, as a turning box, so the steering arm still goes from that left side to the right hand side (looking forward)...

Here is what it looks like on the right hand side (our drivers side) looking at it from the front, and on the bottom you see the "Tie Rod", that connects both left and right together, and above it you see the steering arm that comes down from the left. This whole assembly is call the " steering knuckle" in Old School...

As you look at these, keep in mind these knuckle joints and disc brakes are HUGE, it is just that is the inside of a 20" wheel...... Now the problem is, that you can easily have a custom steering box made for the right hand side for right hand steering, but the steering arm would then go down to the left, and there is no way to hook up to the left hand side. That piece you are looking at, usually called the steering knuckle, on the left: Only has a place for the tie rod that connects both wheels, it is very high strength forged steel, and you cannot just go willy nilly and add a piece to it for the steering arm to hook up to.. That steering knuckle on the left, our passenger side, is only set up for the tie rod end you see in this picture:

There is no way to hook up the steering arm there in an adequate way: THAT is why most conversions use the old box, as a "turning box" with a whole extra shaft from right to left, more complications and more to go wrong, and just not as good as the original steering... If you look under the front end you will see ANOTHER steering arm from our Drivers side over to the passenger side to use the old steering box as a turning box. That is ANOTHER steering arm, and two more ball joints and that much more play and to go wrong.. THAT is specifically why I prefer the SCD conversion, as it preserves the original steering, original steering arm down to the steering knuckle, and the original engine bay layout... IMO every other conversion is a compromise, a poor second choice with compromised results.

Kind regards, from the truck fanatic (Rig Junkie in Old School).
Steven Gibbs, Director, Bushtracker
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Friends,

This Dodge is just about ready to go now... just turned over 26,000 kms..Also comes with air bags suspension inside the rear coils...

It can carry loads like a 3500, at 60-70 psi, in fact it is the only thing different in the 2500 SRW and 3500 SRW is about 500 kg more payload... Air in the Air Bags (Firestone with sleeves) and it is firm, air out, softer ride around town...

I was going to take it out, but here you go, add it to the goodies list..

The truck is about ready to go, except heat gun off the horse stickers and do a polish and detail on Friday by Prestige Cars...

This Dodge is now returned to open bed and stock chrome bumpers, and will be sold with about $10,000 in gear that is attached to it as in:

20" wheels, front and rear coil suspension
Fifth Wheel set up, plug in bed, and bed camera,
Snow plow optional heavier coils in front (slightly firmer ride until Bull bar is added)
Window weather guards
Bonnet protector,
Wet weather mud tray mats front and rear
Extra Security shut down system for anti-theft
Custom exhaust system and tuner ($3500)
Wheel to wheel side step
Side chrome body protectors
AEV Snorkel and cold air intake system
Wired for Bushtrackers, 12 pin system, 7 pin system.
Wired for driving lights, switched on dash
Wired for fridge in the bed,
Firestone Air Bags system in sleeves inside rear coils.
5th Wheel ready, wired for 5th Wheel Gooseneck,
Bed camera..

And all the normal Laramie Goodies...

Offered for $127,000
or returned to Stock exhaust and tuner removed $125,000

It is offered, set up for Bushtracker, offered here first. Will go on Carsales.com next week...
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Friends,

Everything you could want to know about the Dodge Cummins Diesel is in this Topic, and the other one on Introducing the Dodge Ram below This is just an annex to it because of the occasional Long Wheel Base version, like the long bed (8' bed) or in my case the 2016 Mega Cab..

If you have been reading and following along with this R&D, you will know that I sold my last one and went to the Mega Cab, as the seats fold down into the floor to make up a virtual double bed. It enables my Wife to travel with me on long hauls, because on rougher tracks She can lay down in the back and support her neck (bone spurs) or do exercises, stretching, reading, sleeping. I have to say that now with 13,000 kms on the clock, and our last trip of over 4500 kms, it has been a success. There are some advantages to the Long Wheel Base, so maybe don't pass on one as for a big van it does tow better...

It is that sort of near half meter longer, and the seats fold down into the floor. I have made up a three piece mattress for my Wife to lay down back there because of her back, sort of a "sleeper cab".

Cons: It is harder to park a LWB, and it has a meter wider turning radius.. I do not notice the turning radius as much as the parking. You almost have to take part of a second parking spot and hang over the line. A small car can still park behind you. That or you have to hang it over the curb and sidewalk by backing in, that is what I normally do.. In normal parking as shown below at a Mall, it is just impractical.

Now it is do-able, but better to back in and overhang the curb and sidewalk a bit, then you fit better.

Pros: First of all there is the extra room in the Mega Cab. Luggage area behind the seat that is totally invisible with the seats up. And, as show below, the seats can lean back further with more foot room:

Like I said: Seats down, I have made up 100mm cushions (3) that makes up a bed in the back. This is the one version of the Long Wheel Base, the other is the Long 8' Bed.. Anyway it does tow better.

Now the big one, and the surprise real advantage:
Friends, I am here to tell you that with a big van, the longer wheelbase is better handling of the load. Not only side to side but more, it is a longer cantilever with the hitch out the back affecting the longer wheelbase between the wheels, so there is less of a hobby horse affect on bounding roads. I think my point is, that for a very large and heavy van, the LWB should not put you off if that is all that is available.. It might even outweigh the inconveniences against it. In other words, maybe consider it if that is all that is available, because I think the benefits outweigh the parking and turning disadvantages.

I do not think I would go out and purposely get one, unless you had a valid reason like me for having it, like me for my Wife. However, if there was only one available in the LWB, I an not sure I would pass on it if that was all there was. OK with that?

I think my R&D on Tow Vehicles is just about over. I went from my favorite dual rear wheel style, to single rear while as the DRW scared new Clients that thought it was necessary... Rolling Eyes So I went to a Single Rear Wheel... Now to an SRW Mega Cab as my Wife has a degenerative bone disease in her back and she needs the lay down "sleeper cab" style the Mega Cab offers... I am home, and I have added "Quartz Shine Plus" glass coating job for paint protection.. (90% silica and hard as glass). I think this is it.. Wink

Kind regards, on the road with the Ranger...

ambarnes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject: SCD Nissan Titan Recommendation Reply with quote

Hope I'm not to far off topic here, happy to move post if so.

I contacted SCD via email as we are looking at the possibility of upgrading from our LC200 2014 Sahara GVM upgraded to 3.8T, to a Ram 2500 Crew Cab Laramie such as the one described above. We are also looking at upgrading our van to ATM 4T.

They (Michael Vautier) has recommended a Nissan Titan, Cummins 5.0ltr TURB Diesel with the following specs, 310BHP, 230KW, Torq 555lbft, 6 speed auto, Tow Cap 5.6T, GVM 1.1T. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of these vehicles? Esp in regards to the towing of a 4T Bushtracker?

I am a bit reluctant to purchase an unproven vehicle and would really appreciate some feedback before I ring Michael.

We are travelling Australia permanently and carry two kayaks on the LC and are finding staying underweight is difficult although we are at present underweight and legal, even with the sewing machine Smile.

For those of you that are lucky enough to have a Ram or similar I would appreciate some feedback on your accessory fitouts, I.e. Canopy, Draws, fridges, auxillary batteries etc. how and where do our store tools etc.

The car and van are registered in Victoria at present so also interested in good or bad experiences for those of you that have purchased your Ram etc from a Victorian dealer.

If you prefer email me barnabml12@gmail.com

Cheers
Andrew
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This Nissan Titan is a new move for SCD...

There are none towing Bushtrackers to my knowledge...

I still prefer the Dodge Ram, and the Cummins 6.7 Diesel for all the reasons in this Thread....
ambarnes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Steve, appreciate your feedback on this and the valuable content of the post.
RobandFlip

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ambarnes,
We are in Rutherglen, have a 21ft Bushtracker and tow with a Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie converted by SCD. If you have time to come this way, you are welcome have a chat/look. Off with the van for 4 days over the Aus Day weekend otherwise here until mid year.
Cheers,
Robyn and Phillip
Ted & Narelle

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any one looking for ram tuning or GMC / Silverado give Heath a call at pid diesel 0421112860 great guy he knows what his talking about all current model
Roachie

State:: SA
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ted & Narelle wrote:
Any one looking for ram tuning or GMC / Silverado give Heath a call at pid diesel 0421112860 great guy he knows what his talking about all current model

Totally agree....Heath Lawson assisted me to get rid of my Adblue problems. Truck has never run better....he can make the Duramax sing.

Bill
4x4jimb0

State:: vic
Current Bushtracker owner:: Ordered
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:57 pm    Post subject: brake lights issue with Dodge ? Reply with quote

Steve ,
Ive purchased a MY2016 Dodge 2500 Cummins diesel vehicle myself and have had the Van attached for around the last 6 months and am wondering if you've had any problems with the brake lights, let me explain.
Today I had a truckie get on the radio and tell me I had no brake lights , I pulled up and sure enough no brake lights , couldn't find a fuse in the fuse box labelled "brake lights: so next town went into an Auto electricians and found that when the Van was removed the Brake lights came back (if the Dodge was turned off and fired up again ) and the brake lights on the Dodge worked fine , plug the van in hit the brake pedal about half a dozen times and a "brake light out" comes up on the dash and the brake lights go out everywhere ! , so the thought was that there was a short in the Van but after a bit of investigation it was found that the van lights only pull 0.5 of an amp so no short there.
To get me going the electricians have placed a relay in the brake light circuit the trigger is the original brake light feed from the vehicle and the main power lead that powers the brake lights now comes off the power feed pin on the vehicle , this appears to have fixed it as the brake light pin on the car now pulls milli amps and has stopped confusing the car ,I don't know what to make of it , have you had any issues with the brake lights on your Dodge ?

p.s. I don't know if I've been going around for 6 months with no brake lights or not , because the system resets when you turn off and restart the car so that brake lights may not be working when you pull up but restart the car and the brake lights are good for half a dozen pumps or so before the error appears so you check the brake lights when you first start and the are working but a few stops later the vehicle turns off the brake lights.

p.p.s. I don't know if the problem is the resistance difference b/w incandescent bulbs and LEDS making the vehicle think that the "bulb" is blown , just thinking out loud
Bow & Nan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Factory problem with the wiring harness.

Take the Dodge back to a dealership they have a service bulletin and will change the wiring harness.

If it is a SCD conversion I do not know if Dodge will repair the problem.
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SCD are actually the best to do such a repair...
If you were close to Brisbane I would take it to them. They have a Chrysler wiring guy that even knows the codes on the wiring and plugs he recites to himself as he is doing the job... Laughing

The way the towing system works, is a set of micro-relays... This is so if there is a problem (like corrosion in the plug most commonly) it will trip out the relay instead of stuffing up the truck wiring..

The wiring itself in the truck is usually only a fuse problem. I would take it to whomever converted it, or SCD...

Kind regards, Steven Gibbs
4x4jimb0

State:: vic
Current Bushtracker owner:: Ordered
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Steve after a little bit of drama it appears there was a short in the high mounted stop lamp (according to the error codes ) lamp and fittings replaced and hopefully fixed
98lux

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eddie is delivering your dodge's twin on Monday. Very Happy Very Happy
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, here is probably the best Testimonial for the Dodge Ram, possible...
Besides more safety, more control, engine braking in manual and automatic modes, less driver fatigue, more leverage on the van, and a better ride and luxury level more than a Sahara.... There IS something more.

This is probably the heaviest 2500 HD Dodge Ram, Cummins Diesel, first of all it is a Mega-Cab. This is about 400 mm longer cab, room for a bed in the back. Also a Leer FG canopy. Then it has the heaviest duty steel Bull Bar, a Ranch Hand, made to save truck and driver hitting cattle, and a winch...

Then it has the heaviest duty rear bumper, checker plate top, all steel box section, made to protect it backing into things and terror on "Tail-Gaters".. Laughing

Third it has the heavy duty bed slide out, big Sidchrome toolbox that is loaded, a fridge/freezer in stainless, a 220 litre fuel tank and 3 meter hose to auto shut off, and another larger tool box with 5 power tools and attachments, and 200 amp Lithium, and charger, LVD, and DC to DC... and more.. I am ready to "Homestead" anywhere I stop... Laughing

So what about the Testimonial? Yesterday I went down to south Brisbane, to Hillcrest, 237 kms round trip. Mostly highway, but some city traffic. Now I was carrying a long tonne, more than a Landcruiser can even do, and I got 9.7 litres per hundred.

Mind you, I have a Tuner, and Ram Cold Air intake with a Snorkel, and modified exhaust.. But 9.7 litres/100 k? Carrying a long tonne? Most Landcruisers cannot get that good running empty. Further, to rub salt in the wound..Laughing Mine rides better than my Sahara, my Wife wants to take the Ram on any trips towing or not, and it has luxury the Sahara does not even have... he heh... Wink

It is totally NOT NECESSARY for vans up to 20'-21', but it IS better. It only becomes necessary for larger vans over 21', and yes it is nicer and better..!

Kind regards, Cowboy at Bushtracker

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> Tips on TOW VEHICLES All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: