Exotic Vehicle, the Might VW V-10 4x4 Touareg.....

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> Tips on TOW VEHICLES
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bushtracker
Site Admin

State:: Queensland
Current Bushtracker owner:: Yes
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Exotic Vehicle, the Might VW V-10 4x4 Touareg..... Reply with quote

We have a couple of them running. Here is a new Topic for them to post performance reports on... As a potential high end exotic 4x4 Tow Vehicle.

Our thanks to the Touareg Owners for their interesting reports coming as a matter of interest....

Last edited by Bushtracker on Wed May 28, 2008 9:32 am; edited 1 time in total
mel_and_toby

State:: QLD
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Steve you have added a couple of cylinders! It is "only" a V10 TD.
There is a W12 petrol available - but not in Australia.

I like it when you say exotic - it is amazing how many times I have been asked "How does your little VW go pulling that big van?" One of the issues for VW is market awareness!

Unfortunately we have not yet been able to get away for a decent run with the BT as things didn't work out as planned at work. We actually seized an opportunity to take our business public and that has created more work in the short term! But there is light at the end of the tunnel. However we did meander along for about 1000ks from the Sunshine Coast up the coast to Bundaberg and then winding around the hinterland back home before Christmas.

The Touareg is a 5 Litre Diesel (230 Kw and 750Nm) with a towing capacity of 3500Kgs and 350Kg ball weight. It has a load capacity a little under 600kg with 90l of fuel and the driver on board. It averages about 12l/100k and on highway touring gets as low as 9.3l/100. It uses under 17l/100 towing our 18' but heavy van (four panels, Oyster dish and 400 litres). In the 1000k trip the gear box did not move into top when towing (6 speed box) - in either standard or sport mode. Not sure exactly what triggers that but it learns very quickly the weight is on the back. On the other hand there wasn't much flat country.

It is amazing that people often think the Toureg is a small vehicle - the wheel base is actually marginally greater than a LC but the vehicle itself is about 200mm shorter, but the roof line is significantly lower. Yet it has a wading depth of 580mm - certainly less than the LC but not bad. With all the electronic stuff I just hope it doesn't stop somewhere it shouldn't - but that seems to be the case with most of the new vehicles these days. I previously had a RR and was FAR less confident in that!

My only complaint is that it can be hard to unhitch as the self levelling suspension does what it should do soon after the jockey wheel takes the load - it levels (raises) which of course means the pin has pressure on it again. Still working on that!

What do they cost - ours is two years old now and its list price was $135k. We got a 15k discount, three years free servicing (including oil!) (maybe $3k value) and 4.9% financing (maybe $9k saving) so it really cost around $108 drive away and came with everything imaginable - satnav, sunroof, leather, air suspension, pressure sensors, xenon lights, dual batteries. I didn't get an external spare as I find them a pain most of the time but carry an extra in the rear when we go away (and have the silly standard emergency spare as well).

One interesting feature is that I can pump up tyres with an adapter using the air suspension - very handy after I have let them down!

This winter we will do a decent trip with the BT and I will give a more detailed run down.

IAN
Innkeepers

State:: New South Wales
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mel & Toby
17L/100K towing a heavy 18 is nothing to skite about....we can beat that...we just towed our Heavy 18 down to Armidale with our V8 Petrol Landcruiser and we can get 30L/100k without even trying.....

Our cruiser will pass anything on the road except a servo....chuckles

See you in the bush sometime....

Cheers
Rick & Julie
werner

State:: WA
Current Bushtracker owner:: Ordered
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:38 pm    Post subject: touareg Reply with quote

Are there any other BT owners with experiences (good or bad) of towing with the V10 Touareg? Cheers, Werner

Werner, we only have two running... And I think there is another u in there.. Wink I could be wrong.. Look: They look a bit city sports car in front of the Bushtracker... But it must be an "Enthusiast" thing, so they can have the sporty VW in the city as well. I have not heard any bad comments. On the other hand, I would consider a more possibly robust type of truck for the Outback, that had the ground clearance and availability of parts readily, and so on... I hope there are comments from the two running, but they may be out Bush and not on the internet.. OK? Wink

Werner, if you are of German extraction as the name might suggest, and you are a German Engineering "Enthusiast" you might give it a try. In all fairness I have not heard anything bad except the cost of the high end Turbo Diesel version in V-10 or what ever it is. If you are coming back to the city, it is a way to "have your cake and eat it too".... But if you are going to "Break Away" you might consider Bush Values of payload and space to carry toys, outboards or gensets or tools or BBQ or bicicles, and the rest..... Nevermind also ground clearance in creek beds and over cattle grates and jump ups. Kind Regards, stg
Michael Boemelburg

State:: queensland
Current Bushtracker owner:: Ordered
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:59 pm    Post subject: glad to see inkeepers have a sense of humour Reply with quote

Well done innkeepers. With consumption like that, you have still got a sense of humour.
Look forward to meeting you on the road somewhere and sharing a cool refreshing ale or two.
keep it up.
mel_and_toby

State:: QLD
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our DUB 10 going great guns. When towing I run the air suspension higher than the city to improve ground clearance and can go higher again if necessary. We have a second set of rims with higher profile tyres we use off road and carry a full spare of course.
Once had the second battery fail out near Cobalt Gorge and it shut down all "unnecessary" electricals to ensure the necessaries, like starting, happened - very clever.
Very comfortable to drive and love the tight turning circle - great for tight spots. Often get a comment about the "little soft roader" towing a heavy van. If only they knew what a great package the DUB 10 is!
I have had a Nissan, a 60, 2*80 series, ML and RR and the DUB beats them all as an all round vehicle - I would get another if I was in the market now - but this one is only at 50k so got a long way to go!
IAN
pieterandy

State:: WA
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Touareg TDI V6 tow vehicle Reply with quote

We picked up our 21' Bushtracker on Monday 27th October and hooked it up to our Touareg TDI V6, 2008 model. After loading our gear and weighing, it came in at 3600 kg's with all 5 tanks full. As this was our first caravan towing experience, there was a certain amount of trepidation involved as we departed Bushtracker in Kunda Park. I needn't have worried. My Touareg (Tillie) towed like a pro! We drove across the mountains from Brisbane to Goulburn, a hair raising experience at times, (the road between Lithgow and Goulburn in particular) At no stage was the weight of the van a problem. Yes, it got into 6th gear on flat road and is averaging about 17/18 litres per 100 klm's. I don't go over 90 klm's per hour. Considering the terrain we have traversed, this is acceptable to me.
It's funny, in less than a week, 3 people have asked me, "How does your little car tow the van?"
Well, it's still early days for us as we will be travelling to Geelong, then back up the coast to Qld, across the top, the Kimberley's and back to Perth in 2010. We'll keep you posted.

Pieter
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> Tips on TOW VEHICLES All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: