TOYOTA WORKMATE AND 70 SERIES, TOP BUDGET NEW TOW VEHICLE
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> Tips on TOW VEHICLES
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bushtracker
Site Admin

State:: Queensland
Current Bushtracker owner:: Yes
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: TOYOTA WORKMATE AND 70 SERIES, TOP BUDGET NEW TOW VEHICLE Reply with quote

Hello Friends,
I see more, get more reports, than anybody. Two three four a day stop in here and 20 more email me... I am just reporting what I see and hear.

This is the choice of a Bushtracker Owner, 37,000 kms towing, and he is a Commercial Truck Licensed Driver all the way to a B-Double License.

It is the Toyota new 79 Series. Now note: I have an Insider in Toyota, that tells me that the 200 Series is made for the City. The Outback Vehicle is this four door "Workmate" I think they call it... Here are some pictures why..

It has the 4 door, manual transmission, covers all the bases, tows 3500 kg

It has the V-8 Turbo Diesel his quote: "Heaps more power than my 100 series"...
He reports 17 1/2 to 18 1/2 litres per 100, traveling heavy with a 21' Bushtracker...

And this is the kind of frontend that helped make Toyota a Legend, simple and robust... Wink

Interior is a bit spartan, but looks comfortable...

His choice, for quality towing, leaf springs and air bags over... All this for about $65,000 seems a really good deal to me. It is about $20,000 cheaper than the Discovery 3 and about that much cheaper than the 200 Series Landcruiser.

In my way of thinking, as an experienced Outback traveller, THIS is the kind of vehicle that made Toyota a LEGEND in the Outback.

Regards, Ranger

Last edited by Bushtracker on Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:20 am; edited 4 times in total
phanlin

State:: Victoria
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:39 am    Post subject: RANGERS TOP PICK FOR A BUDGET BUT FULL SIZED TOW VEHICLE Reply with quote

Thanks for this post. It seems to me this is the ideal type of vehicle I am looking for....simple & basic. No fancy gadgets.

The NRMA did a 1000km Road Test ....Pluses: Quality, durability and reliability. Will Go absolutely anywhere ("If the 70 series can't go there, nothing else will") Huge carrying and towing capacity.
Minuses: No modern safety features, very expensive for such a basic vehicle, Ponderous dynamics and weak brakes.

I suppose my main concern - and I'm looking for some guidance here,
is in the area of braking.....The report says its performance is hardly acceptable, "there's minimal pedal feel and feeble power at highway speeds unless you stand on the pedal, in which case the front wheels are easy to lock". I guess from time to time we will be on the major highways
towing our 21 footer....and my question is (as a newcomer to the 4 wheel drive towing world) would I be able to stop in an emergency?

My other concern is its a bit hard to get hold of one for a test drive - there is a 4-7 month wait for the vehicle and as of yesterdday there was only one on the floor in NSW....and so I guess any more information that can be gleaned from current owners would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Philip Hanlin
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phillip,
In general Toyota brakes have ALWAYS been hopeless... Laughing Laughing

Money no object, buy something like the Silverado or the new Super Duty Fords that have a lot more payload. Twice the power, twice the brakes, 5 times the luxury, twice the payload, twice the towing capacity.... And twice the price... Confused I have entered this as being in my view the toughest of the Budget end of the 4x4 market for new vehicle buyers...

I have towed with the 75 series, all over, in the 90's I towed with two Troopcarriers and one 75 Series converted to Omnibus with a meter extended body and 900 mm extended chassis, with the same brakes, in most States, with a 20' overloaded Bushtracker on the back and in all conditions. I still own three Toyotas, all wagons. If I was buy a new Toyota for the Bush, this would be my choice for the four doors, but it looks to be basically a Troopcarrier RV a bit scaled down in size and with the extra two doors.

On the Brakes: First of all, take anything you read in the magazines with a grain of salt... Secondly know that Toyota has always had unispiring brakes. And third, know that you learn to adapt to it. You fine tune your brake controller and use the van brakes to pull you up a lot in traffic and hold your tow vehicle brakes in reserve. You learn to hold a little more distance and relax everytime a Hoon pulls in front of you and you have to back off again. This new vehicle as I said, looks to my Experienced eye, as a cross between the Troopcarrier and the four door wagon and quite robust with the top performing Toyota Diesel in the single turbo V-8. At my look, it appears to have the basic 100 Series running gear of the non-independet front end, the good ole monobeam rigid front axle housing, like my 100 Series. And the price is good IMO...

Since the frailties of the 200 Series get exposed more and more, it appears the 100 Series have gone up in value and demand. In my view the $65 is cheap, Matt paid close to $85 for the Discovery, and this at $65 while not as luxurious certainly has more power and possibly is more robust than the Disco. It is worth a look, and probably what I would be buying myself in this class... Wink

UPDATE: I just went onto the Internet, a Carpoint type site, and there are a half dozen "Workmate" VDJ 79 Series V-8 diesel rigs for $55-$57,000 ...... 2007 models not sold yet.. Pretty good buying there, but shop around...

Regards, da Ranger, ....... Doin' Da Rig Junkie thing for a living... Laughing

Last edited by Bushtracker on Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:49 am; edited 1 time in total
phanlin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve

Thanks for the reply....you have put my mind at rest.

We are going to order one

Cheers
Philip
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phillip,
Go somewhere and drive one first. Don't buy it from someone that does not have one to test drive. Go somewhere that DOES even if you have to fly... I have gotten NO reports of anything bad, except two vague rumours that the steering was a bit "twitchy" on rutted roads. I have no idea what this means and it was not from Owners. The Owner of the picture, is a Professional Driver as I said, 37,000 kms of travel, and he had nothing bad to say about it...

But just to be on the safe side, go somewhere you can drive one and take it on a back dirt road somewhere to satisfy yourself.... It would be my own first choice for the four doors... Regards, stg
Bow & Nan

State:: NSW
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been told buy a owner that they are "twitchy" under power

From memory the wheelbase is 300mm shorter than the Ute and the wheel track on the rear is narrower on the back than the front

Greg
tag000

State:: WA
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philip
I have just picked up my new LC 76 series GXL V8TD Station wagon from Perth and drove it 1600km's back to Port Hedland. It has the Dobinson suspension fitted (50 mm lift), Black widow drawers, winch, bullbar, 175ltr fuel tank and I love it. Very Happy Very Happy Heaps of highway cruising power and torque, overtaking triple roadtrains in fifth no problem. Cool I have been driving Toyotas 4wd my whole working life on a daily basis, so the brakes feel normal Toyota to me.
I had my 18 yo daughter with me on this trip and she complained about how bouncy it was and when she drove for a while, I noticed she was wondering around a fair bit, not sure what that was all about but I put it down to her inexperiance with this type of vehicle. The suspension is a bit tight but hopefully a couple of trips bush will fix that.
I have bought this vehicle to tow my yet to be delivered 20ftr.
Regards
Mark
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark,
Show us pictures, suspension lift, drawers set up, and such!! Exclamation Wink
tag000

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve
I have sent some photos by e-mail to Sales@bushtracker as I couldn't work out how to post images. Hopefully you will be able to post them for me.

I forgot to mention it also has factory diff locks

Thanks
Mark
phanlin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark

Thanks for your posts.

Questions: What is the Dobinson suspension? What does this do for the vehicle? Does this replace the standard suspension?

Philip
tag000

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philip

The Dobinson suspension is a brand of after market suspension, consisting of up rated replacement coils for the front, leaf springs for the rear and heavy duty shocks all round. I have used this system to replace the factory suspension.
I think they are based in Queensland somewhere.

My reasoning for fitting this suspension is to increase the load carrying capacity, increase body ground clearance and to improve the handling characteristics of the vehicle under load. Thats what I believe anyhow.

Basically to compensate for the extra weight I have added and will be adding, ie, Bullbar and winch on the front and drawers, tow bar, extra fuel etc, in the back and also eventually a 20 ft BT

Regards
Mark
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you go, Courtesy of Marc...

Marc, Nice Rig! Nice Color! Nice Job! And I like the lift... It is what I would be doing myself if I was not restoring the 100 Series to new condition...

Now one thing, the reason you could not load them yourself is they were all too large... You have to reduce them to something under say 300 kb for the program to work... Wink

Cheers... stg

Last edited by Bushtracker on Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
phanlin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark

Thanks for all the info & pictures.

Looks pretty good to me.

Philip
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, here is another well equipped Bushtracker Tow Vehicle.

This "Workmate" is what Toyota now calls it's Outback Vehicle...

It has the robust monobeam live front axle like the Ford Super Duty

He has equipped this with all the goodies, Snorkle, long range tanks, spare wheel carrier, Warn winch, roof rack, Hi-Lift Jack, and more... Even the shovel is mounted well...:

It is hard to go past this for a smaller Bushtracker. It is more robust with less electronics than the 200 Series and $30,000 cheaper. It is about half the price of Ford Super Duty or Silverado.. Look, if you are on a budget, this is like a wagon with four doors, built like a four door smaller Troopcarrier. I certainly think it is worth a look...

Cheers, on the road with the Ranger
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were travelling with a Bushtracker, maybe a boat, here is the Toyota that I would think about... Now I own a 200 Series, I am qualified to make this referral, an alternative to the 200 Series, but still a Toyota.. I have a 200 Series myself, and a Medium Rigid Truck Licensed; and I tow more Bushtrackers than just about anyone. Before I took my 200 Series out Bush, I would go test drive or rent one of these to see if I could get used to the Manual transmission (I am sure I would, my Mack was a manual)...

I know the 200 Series out numbers this 4 to one or more but: This is the Toyota I would choose. This is the Toyota that Toyota says is their "Outback Vehicle" now. I think it is worth the consideration and test drive on vans up and including 21'. Here is the one leaving with a new Bushtracker today... It has the V-8 diesel, and the monobeam front end..

The Toyota Mob, have also upgraded the dash from the old Troop Carrier look. This latest edition has Air Bags, and a much more refined look...

The picture on the right shows you the extra room under the bonnet, this one with batteries on the right hand side, and the new ARB compressor on the left: Air bag adjust on the fly, tyre pump up, and so on.. At least there is room to work on it under the bonnet... Wink

This is an unbiased appraisal. I know the 200 Series is a nicer luxury car, but if I were not returning to the city I would at least go test drive one of these. With less electronics, half the electronics as it does not interface with the shifting of the automatic transmission, with the manual transmission, and the solid live axle and coil front end, this is certainly worth your consideration..

In Your Best Interests, on the road with the Ranger...
phanlin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've been towing our 21' fulltime on the road for the past 15 months with our workmate over all types of surfaces. It has never missed a beat and does the job.....can fully endorse Steve's recommendation.

Philip
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the kind words of support Philip. Sometimes it is a lonely job as the lone Ranger... Laughing But I give an unbiased view, in the "Owners Best Interests" and while I own a 200 Series, if I was leaving for long venture out west with the normal sized Bushtracker: This is the way I would go and certainly value for money.

Here are two of them in here today, the ute version of the "Workmate"...You would know my bias towards the larger American tow vehicles instead of the Japanese ones. But for a return to civilization they are larger and considerably more expensive and I will not contest that. Personally I think it is worth it however, and hence I drive one every day as you would know... But again, if I did not have larger needs with horses and a 31' gooseneck, then this "Workmate" is in top position...

Here is an alternative if you are thinking about a Workmate or Ute, an example of two here today very nicely done:

There is a very good argument for doing it this way, if your van is only a max of 20-21' and you can live without the four doors...

Kind Regards, stg
biggles

Current Bushtracker owner:: No
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking at the Toyota website which gives these specs for the LC 70 series

GXL Cab Chassis
Kerb weight (kg) - 2065 (without tray)
Gross vehicle weight rating (kg) - 3300

That gives a (HUGE) carrying capacity of 1245 kg. But that's without the tray. What would a tray weigh?

GXL Workmate (Wagon)
Kerb weight (kg) - 2230
Gross vehicle weight rating (kg) - 3000

That gives a carrying capacity of a much lower 770 kg.

Another point. The cab chassis is listed with TWO 90 litre fuel tanks as standard. The wagon with only one. Doesn't this give the cab chassis a BIG advantage in load carrying capacity over the wagon?

I'm tossing up between a 70 series and a 100 series Cruiser.

Da lone Ranger sez: I do not think an alloy tray would weigh more than 100-150 kg. Further, this is about horses for courses, and what style of payload you want to carry. Yes style is a consideration, but that is LIFE-style, and the question is do you want a bed or higher capacity, or do you want the enclosed four doors? They will both carry a fridge, a boat loader, and tinny. It is all about your chosen Lifestyle that will determine which of them you go towards. ALSO: Note that many, including myself, have successfully upgraded GVM with Air Bag Man air bags over the rear springs. This is common, and can make up the difference between the two vehicles. I even did it on my F-450 from 6557 kg to 7,500 kg GVM, with the Modification plate and Engineers Certificate...

Your chosen Lifestyle will determine the style of which one to pick... However, the ute starts with bigger GVM and if you are carring something big, it can obviously be pushed to a higher GVM than the four door. But do you need it> That is the question. Or would you prefer to have the four door for guests or family when back in town, etc..

buggerlugs

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:23 pm    Post subject: Troopie. Reply with quote

G'Day Biggles,
I would suggest you should also have a look at the Troop Carrier. Once again it comes down to each persons requirements. We have now been towing our 20ft B.T. for 6 years with a Troopy. First with a 1998 with an after market turbo,and now with the 70 series V8. In our case,wouldn't have any thing else. Heaps of room,and never any trouble. Although the 98 did get a bit hot sometimes on a hot day on sealed roads,never a problem on dirt no matter how hot. Never had this happen with our V8. Ours is the 5 seater,not that we very often take passengers. Access to the back is by behind the passenger seat and can be a bit awkward,and could be annoying if you needed to use the rear seat on a regular basis.
Happy Travels,
Lawrie.
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Steve and Lawrie.

I hadn't considered the Troopie, that's not a bad idea at all. On the minus side, there are only two doors. Not that big a deal really since we probably won't have more than two people in it very often.

On the plus side, the Troopie (like the cab chassis but not the Workmate) has the two 90 litre fuel tanks as standard. It also has a longer wheelbase which I would assume (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong) would be better for towing. And more room in the back, too?

And almost 200kg more legal carrying capacity, with twice the fuel.

Hello Biggles,
I had always considered the Troopcarrier and the Ute, in this same category. I only emphasis the four door because it is more compact and most people like the four door for versatility when back home in between trips... (If that is the case).. This group is just my best recommendation for cost effective and reliability reasons as a consideration, and in my mind they rate equally with the same running gear. It is just a case of the four door advantage of the compact version of the workmate that suits most people. There is by no means anything wrong with either of the other two styles of the larger Troopcarrier or the Ute. OK with this?

Kind regards,
biggles

Current Bushtracker owner:: No
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bushtracker wrote:

Hello Biggles,
I had always considered the Troopcarrier and the Ute, in this same category. I only emphasis the four door because it is more compact and most people like the four door for versatility when back home in between trips... (If that is the case).. This group is just my best recommendation for cost effective and reliability reasons as a consideration, and in my mind they rate equally with the same running gear. It is just a case of the four door advantage of the compact version of the workmate that suits most people. There is by no means anything wrong with either of the other two styles of the larger Troopcarrier or the Ute. OK with this?

Kind regards,

Fine with that, Steve, thanks.

The Troopcarrier (and the Ute) do have a second 90L tank as standard so that's an advantage. Would the longer wheelbase of the Troopie (over the wagon) be an advantage, particularly for towing?

Yes, I'm a newbie Embarassed
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Biggles,

Wheelbase is always an issue. The Troopie was my choice years ago when Ford was not here with the larger diesel. If I were going Bush, and not returning to the city, the the Troopie has some storage advantages of room and wheelbase.

I use this 4 door "Workmate" as more of a combination city vehicle issue, of convenience and so on. I raised my Children with a Troopie, and then a 1992 later model folding seat of the "Six Pack" version, and my final Troopie had an "Omnibus" body with a side door for the back that was retired in the 90's to Fraser Island Tourism. For me the four door would be an attractive option for company and convenience when not towing back home.

I also would prefer it to my 200 Series as a major tow vehicle because of the monobeam front end and far less electronics not integrating to the auto transmission, not to mention that Toyota also advises the "Workmate" to be their Outback vehicle now. A lot of people still prefer the 200 Series for the luxury creature comforts, but I prioritise in favour of the strong front end and far less electronic complications with the manual transmission when going Bush.

And don't be apologetic about being a Newbie, you may be helping someone else that is too shy to ask the questions.. I am happy to help. Wink
niknoff

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:53 pm    Post subject: Toyota 70 Series Tow Bars Cracking Reply with quote

A warning to owners of the newer V8 Toyota Landcruiser Owners, check that the tow bar has not cracked. This is occurring on the welds that the main hitch section is welded on to, I was alerted to this problem by friends who have recently taken delivery of their new 20' BT and have had the bar replaced by a new revised version with greater strength. Since then I have been monitoring mine and the other day i noticed a hair line crack, now less than 100kms later the cracks had deepend and lengthened on both sides.

I also pointed this out to another owner who's tow bar was also cracking and was not aware of it.

Toyota are aware of this, though some dealers seem ignorant to the matter and need convincing. I am getting a new tow bar replaced under warranty.

Should the weld fail completely the part of the towbar the hitch slides into could come away which means safety chains & brake safe along with it.

07' 19' BushTracker
2015 VX 200, 3800kg GVM Upgrade
james snow

State:: sa
Current Bushtracker owner:: Ordered
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iam another newbie to the forum, and eventually a BT owner.
iam in the prosess of buying a new Toyota (70 series Traytop) and was wondering if there is anyone out there that has done the GVM upgrade and how they have found it.
from my investigations there appears to be two available one from ARB which increases the GVM to 3500kg and one from Lovells which increases the GVM to 3900kg.
Jigalong

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the max size BT I can tow wth a Toyota 200TD (with a GVM upgrade).

I have a 16ft BT at present, but my wife is retiring soon and I need to make room for her amongst my toys.

Thanks,

Willie.
Loki of Condor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hullo Willie,

My 20 footer (it has been referred to as a Gin Palace by an unkind person in the past) tows beautifully behind my LC200.
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Willie,

There is an important Topic on this in the Category WHAT TYPE OR SIZE OF BUSHTRACKER, and the Topic is MAX SIZED VAN BEHIND LANDCRUISER OR NISSAN SIZED VEHICLES

Willie, the real safety limits there, are what is important, and other than that you need to just watch your weight in those upper limits. The safety issues addressed in that Topic above are one thing, and in the top two feet of those limitations you also need to watch how much gear you put on board, so fully loaded you can stay within your ATM (like vehicle GVM)..

Have a read there, and then please address any further questions by hitting REPLY in that Topic...

Best regards, Steven Gibbs, Director, Bushtracker
on the job, as close to 24/7 as possible, with over 1000 Owners active... Wink
notes1952

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

Now that the V8 Troopies have been out for a while are those towing with them happy with the towing performance? What sort of fuel consumption are you getting? Also if you previously had a 100 series do you regret the change?

Thanks.
SSS

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi notes 52 I have 70 series cab chassis with a canopy which i find a very practical vehicle to tow with but not very powerfull on hills, my next step is to fit power chip, still not sure which one to fit but otherwise i find it great as i also use it 4wd
onthemove

State:: vic
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is a rumour that Toyota will be bringing in a dual cab version of the 70 series - due out here in october 2012. It will be on the 79 series (single cab ute) chassis. This could make an interesting tug Very Happy
Now if only it was auto Crying or Very sad
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep,
Da Road Ranger herd bout diss as well... Wink

It is more than a rumour, from my sources, it is coming. There are some fantastic marketing politics, so they do not soil their Business with the Government and Mining... One would think the Tundra, in a diesel, and automatic, would dominate the marketplace... It would!!

The twin turbo 200 Series motor is great, the auto is great, put that in a dual cab ute and it is what would dominate the market. However, the values of thousands of utes, both Government and Mining, would nosedive! They want to keep the marketing separate, but staying basic in a manual ute. I guess they are looking at the thousand of ute conversions from the wagons, ever since the 80 Series, and decided to do it themselves.. Good idea.

Anyway, "On the Move"
WECOME TO THE FORUM, POST NUMBER ONE!!!!

From da lone Ranger, Admin, Bushtracker, half a Horseman.. heh he
Thoura

State:: nsw
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Four door 70 series Toyota land cruiser Reply with quote

Hi here is a link to pictures of what the new four door ute will look like.

http://www.themotorreport.com.au/53674/2013-toyota-landcruiser-70-series-dual-cab
Louie100

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:24 pm    Post subject: Toyota 70 series Dual Cab Reply with quote

Due to be released to dealers this Monday in very small numbers.
Two shipments are supposedly in Brisbane this week
Rumour has it that there will be 6 to 9 month lead time.

Last edited by Louie100 on Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:02 am; edited 1 time in total
kalmwaters

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently, many mine sites have now banned troop carriers as being too unstable and thus a massive turn to mine bus conversions of Isuzu and Canter.
Obviously, the latter are much more expensive. Perhaps the dual cab is seen as a suitable alternative.
They must be targetted at the mine site market or we would not be getting them at all.
onthemove

State:: vic
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just saw a new GXL dual cab at the dealer. Nice but pretty small in the rear seats. seems Toyota has moved the seat forward about 50mm from the 76 series position. room would be similar to an F250 extra cab.
And @ $75K on the road makes a new 200 series seem like a bargain!
Louie100

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most certainly overpriced for a work truck, but as Steve said,"horses for courses" and unfortunately one cant carry large tool boxes, spares and camping gear in the rear of a 200 series as easily as on a ute.
Glad to hear that someone has sighted one at last as the silence from the dealers in my area is deafening.
Tellem Bugrem

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:43 pm    Post subject: Tow Vehicles Reply with quote

G'day all,

Interesting reading, particularly as I had been considering a new Tug to replace my 04 100 GXL (Manual Diesel, A/M Turbo + Gas, Recaro Seats, Clearview mirrors, 2 x 900CCA Cat batteries, drawer/slide system.
Reading the new configurations coming up with the 70 series has made me think as I was about to go for the 200GX (Barn doors).

An interesting comparison to the 70 series dual cab is the VW Amarok TDI 400 Dual cab which I drove last week....WOW!!....Only a 2 Litre, two stage twin turbo with 132 kw, but a whopping 420Nm of torque, combined with an 8 speed tiptronic. Very impressive power, acceleration and comfort!! Only 7.5 L/100km, but I'd expect that to double when towing....Like 15L/100km. Max tow is 3000 but there is talk this will increase to 3500. It is 300mm longer than the 200GX, 250mm longer than 70 dual cab, its width is 1944 (200GX is 1970, 70 Dual Cab is only 1790.). Tare is 2094,, GVM is 3040. Seats are like Recaros.
Approach- Departure- Breakover angles are 28/28/23 (200GX is 30/20/21)

I think that if you are towing a BT of 18ft or less, then this could be a serious contender. Price is around 60k. You can get it with tray, tub or cab/chassis and fit a custom back like the ones Steve photographed at the Factory. I'd love to take it for a test drive with the BT in tow!

Cheers......Rob
Loki of Condor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VW, Range Rover, Audi, Mercedes...

Try to get any of them serviced or repaired outside a capital city. Impossible.
kalmwaters

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An 18 foot BT that weights 3040kg or less fully laden. Tellem Bugrem, you obviously travel a lot lighter than we do or use that new dehydrated water I have been reading about!
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kalmwaters,

Before the invention of all the incredible selection of options we have now, years ago we saw 18's go out at 2300 to 2400 kg routinely. In many years past before we invented the 3500 kg version of the suspension, all there was for the 18' was a 3000 kg suspension.

Owners, if you have an older 18', you had better not load it over the 3000 kg mark, as you overload the suspension and start bottoming it out hard on the ruts and rocks, and you are overloading the axle stubs and will court disaster.

It is only about 2004? That we invented the 3500 kg option for the 18'ers... Check your VIN plate, and do not exceed the ATM listed there. We can upgrade your suspension if you like...

Now this is Hijacked and off Topic, any further discussions on this need to go where they belong. Further hijacked discussions on this Topic will be cheerfully deleted.

Kind regards, Bushtracker, Management, half a Horseman Laughing
Louie100

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally found one to look at, two in fact in Toowoomba at the local dealer, (both sold).
Here is a pic for those who are interested.
I certainly liked what I saw but I guess the proof will be in the pudding. [imghttp://www.bushtrackerforum.com/forum/userpix/2428_79_series_double_cab_011_1.jpg[/img]
Louie100

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here is another photo GXL version with standard diff locks front and rear.

Last edited by Louie100 on Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:36 am; edited 2 times in total
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two Bushtracker Owners, have known this was coming, but they wanted the higher luxury of the 200 Series. I must admit I understand their point, the automatic, and all the goodies are attractive, and they had theirs converted and picked up their Bushtrackers in just the past month. I thought this new dual cab ute Toyota was going to be in the high $50s in cost, but at $75-$80k I think here is a viable alternative:

What they did was take their GXL 200 Series, and for around $20,000 they got the conversion AND the bed done, by some well known Mob in Cairns. I cannot give you the details, but evidently they are well known and easy to find..

My point is, that if you have to pay the same for the GXL, and still add the bed, you are not that far off the coar of the luxury of a 200 Series. The finish on the rear door is the same as this vehicle shown above (looks like an afterthought) showing the old wheelwell area, but other than that it seems like the 200 Series version might be better value if you want this 70 Series Ute look... Certainly more comfortable... And they can do it in the VX as well, so you get leather, large nav and back up camera, and all the other goodies of the VX 200 Series.. Also note: More power as we are talking about a Twin Turbo in even the Base model 200 Series below the GXL.. The base model GX 200 Series plus the conversion, is not far off this 70 Series dual cab shown above.. Wink

Also: Note to Owners thinking of doing the Ute conversion on the 200 Series.
One interesting problem, they will do the GXL and the VX but they claim they cannot (as reported to me) cannot do the Sahara due to cab ROPS (Roll Over Protection System). Now I did not even know there was extended ROP in the Sahara so Woo-Hoo more value added. However, a warning for any of you planning on the Ute conversion, you may not want to go over the luxury level of the VX...

The 70 Series Dual Cab Ute is far more expensive than I anticipated at $75k+, so much so that the added horsepower of the Twin Turbo V-8 in the 200 Series plus the added luxury features and automatic makes the Ute conversion more attractive... Anyway, a warning, they say they cannot do the Sahara due to the ROP system...

Kind regards, on the road Ranger
Just a thought.... On the road, Bushtracker

Last edited by Bushtracker on Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:19 am; edited 5 times in total
Bow & Nan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Specialised Vehicles do a 200 series conversion.

http://www.specialisedvehicles.com.au/index.php
Louie100

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 200 series would be nice for the comfort, extra power and auto, but for those of us who wish to stay with a solid front axle and simplicity of manual transmission, transfer box, free wheeling front hubs etc.(am I the only one left?) this may still give us an option although it appears that it's days may be numbered if the rumours are true as it has been reported that the 70 series will be phased out within the next couple of years to make way for the upgraded and larger, ANCAP rated Hilux.
I believe that the high pricing is driven by demand as it seems that fleet buyers are not phased by the dollars.
Loki of Condor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over here in WA, most BHP minesites are buying Ford Rangers because they are 5 star ANCAP rated.

Anything less won't get a look in.
Louie100

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At last, one of my local country dealers have a Workmate in stock to at least have a sit in, (the only one they have been allocated for 2 months). Rear seat head room is good and the leg room is average but OK if the passengers are not too large.
Some people may be disappointed to find that the passengers side front seat is a bucket type so the ute does not have the ability to carry three accross the front like the single cab Workmate, although I feel that they are a bit squeezy like that unless the middle passenger is pretty small.
No change in the decore', plastic floor mat's and vinyl seats, very agricultural but simple I suppose.
Interestingly Toyota have not stretched the wheelbase so it's the same as a single cab which means that the tray can only be 1800mm long which may be a problem to some but on the other hand it keeps the offroad ramp over angle still reasonable for those who need it.
Towing capacity stays the same at 3500 kg.

Cheers,
Andrew.
D&T

State:: Euphoric
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

We will be picking up our van around July and are currently in the process of making the necessary alterations to our V8 troopie for the return journey.

I have spent hours/days/weeks on the forum to make a lot of informed decisions regarding vehicle and van, and we thank all who contribute on this forum for that info. One thing I haven't come across is whether those towing with a 70 series have had a heavy duty clutch fitted. Ours feels a little twitchy at times. It does weigh in at 3.16 tonnes (I will confirm this) with me in it only moderately loaded!!

Any feedback or advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards
D&T
[/b]
Theywent Thataway

State:: New South Wales
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we first bought our V8 78series Troopie last year, we thought the same thing. It had done 85,000 km when we bought it.

At about 160,000 we bought a new heavy duty clutch to have on hand, "just in case". Another 100,000 km further on when we changed vehicles, that new clutch was still in the original box.....

90% of that 175,000 km was towing a 3T load behind us, so the clutch cant have been too bad in the first place!

Now we are keeping that same spare heavy duty clutch "just in case" the 76series needs it.

Thats our experience.

Regards,

Maz.

D&T

State:: Euphoric
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Maz,

That's reassuring. We might use the old "better to be looking at it than looking for it" principle ourselves and carry a spare as we're not sure of availability in smaller towns. I guess the 1000km shakedown will give us some idea of how it will pan out. The drive back west definitely will.

Cheers
Richard
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> Tips on TOW VEHICLES All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: