TOYOTA WORKMATE AND 70 SERIES, TOP BUDGET NEW TOW VEHICLE
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> Tips on TOW VEHICLES
View previous topic :: View next topic  
THE WARDEN

State:: NSW
Current Bushtracker owner:: Ordered
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: NEW CLUTCH Reply with quote

Hi Richard

We brought our truck with 4000km on it in 2004(1HD-FTE) done 150k more towing all over Australia for 8 years, then sold it and its still on the original clutch.

Mostly towing a big van or big boat(both in excess of three tonne).

My only recomendations would be use the clutch in a black and white manner. IE only IN or OUT no in between.
Also when backing into tight places or hillstarts with the big BT on the back always grab a handful of low range to get gowing from a standing start.
Always do this weather its at the lights in the big smoke or trying to get up and over the dune in the back country.

Carrying a clutch kit around Australia for the just in case Rolling Eyes . Well i would rather carry more WINE and BEER Cool just in case. Not nessacerry.
Also it not a pleasant exercise doing a clutch change on the side of the road.

For you, you have one of the most common 4wd's on the market with a 320plus strong dealership network backing you up. You will always have a clutch only a couple of days away being it factory or aftermarket.
Any worthwhile workshop would not be able to fit you in with in a couple of days anyway. So save the weight.

So to rap it up take the strain off the clutch and use low range for close quarter maneuvering and hill starts. This will also stop that horrible drive line/chassis shudder as well.

cheers

Wayne
D&T

State:: Euphoric
Current Bushtracker owner:: Yes
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair point Wayne,

I'm not a fan of taking more than I have to on the road so with both responses I guess we might give the spare a miss and make room for a back up carton of beer instead!

Appreciate the tips as well. It will all take a bit of getting used to but looking forward to it.

Cheers
Richard
notes1952

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be pointed out that where Maz said we carried a spare that was because we were usually working towing a work trailer and therefore needed to be back on the road ASAP. Unfortunately we would not be able to enjoy chilling in the BT while we waited for a new clutch. I also agree the refreshments are important. We always also used low range if we had any concerns when taking off. When we first picked up we were towing with a 100series where we disconnected the automatic locking of the centre diff so we could start in low. It made a huge difference.
Theywent Thataway

State:: New South Wales
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AND.......a clutch "out there" would've cost at least 3 x more what we paid for the new one (delivered from Adelaide). Our u-beaut one cost around $700. Wouldnt get that price from Toyota when arriving on a tow truck.

SO...IF you ever need one, jump back on to here and ask. Then sit back and enjoy those superb refreshments whilst awaiting the arrival Smile

Maz (and Dave)

D&T

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply notes1952,

In my unfortunate experience I realise the clutch usually gives you a bit of heads up that it no longer wants to continue the journey with you. No, it wasn't the driver!

I'm comfortable enough to stay with the stock clutch and upgrade if and when necessary and make room for the necessities of life! We will be in no rush as it will be life on the road for us so sitting in the BT waiting for a new clutch if needed is not a bad place to be!
D&T

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a heads up for those towing with the 70 series Toyotas frequently on rough roads although I know you will be travelling slowly.

This is an excerpt from an email sent re the front ends of the Toyotas and I can confirm it comes from a reliable source. Two incidents in a short space of time. Unfortunately the photo wasn't forwarded to me.

'We had this happen to one of our fitters only 2 weeks ago in his private car on the Central Arnhem Highway. The bottom king pin bolts came out and fortunately he noticed his steering failing and began slowing down to check what was going on when his LHF wheel left camp and extensively damaged the Left side of the vehicle. Total loss of control and very nearly a roll over by all accounts. Was a VDJ79 (V8 Cruiser ute) with same gear as 76 series and identical issue to your picture. Would recommend getting all king pin bolt tensions checked at next and every service interval. Will be adding this to service checklists on all VDJ series Land Cruisers at Gove'

As Johnny said, 'be aware, not alarmed'

Cheers
Richard
Louie100

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up Richard, another thing to keep an eye on.
Thought I might upload a photo of our tug just for interest sake.
Cheers, Andrew.
Wink
D&T

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Andrew, but I prefer 'Pilbara White' myself!! Not much choice when you own a Troopy.

So where are you putting your brake controller? Would prefer to have mine on top of the dash and will wait for the P3 to get here to see if that is possible. It's all a little busy down below and want to have it on the left. Would rather not drill holes in the dash so was thinking of trying to get it in where the $800 Toyota clock goes, maybe on an extended mount.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Cheers
Richard
Louie100

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I am trying for a start, Richard.
According to the install instructions the P3 should work standing on its end so we will give it a go. As I am not a smoker I unclipped the plastic facia off the ash tray and screwed the cradle to the ash tray and made the wiring harness long enough so that the whole thing slides out if needed. If I decide that it is no good I will just clip the facia back on and everything is back to standard, and at worst I might have to buy a new ashtray if this one is damaged.
I am 6ft tall with fairly long arms so the controls are within easy reach for my left hand, just a bit hard to read the screen but I figure that once I have the brake set to my liking I shouldn't need to see the screen too much.
Cheers Andrew.
D&T

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andrew,

I was initially thinking about the same place but figured the gear stick may get in the way in that moment when you need to reach it quickly and then the possibility of knocking it when diving into the storage bin although not sure yet how easy it is to knock or if this will be a problem at all. It's a tidy fit though.

Thanks for going to the trouble of taking the photo also. Really appreciate the feedback.

Cheers
Richard
D&T

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had he ARB GVM upgrade done to the Troopy which takes me from 3300kg to 3780kg.

The process was easy enough but not many people knew how the process went, least of all the Dept. of Transport in Perth. These are the people you ring if you have any queries!!! Ended up calling a DOT contractor who was able to help me out. On two occasions the DOT said I had to have a weighbridge certificate which I didn't.

After ARB had done their part all I needed was to take the Troopy to a DOT inspection centre along with the engineering certificates. Got both the DOT copy and mine stamped and signed with my copy copied and sent back to the engineer. I got ARB to do this as the inspection centre was just around the corner. The inspection itself was quick and easy and cost around $60 although there was confusion around this also as I was originally going to be charged $90+. The cost of the engineering certificate was $600.

I opted for the 600kg rear springs as I had already tried the 400kg which left the back end dragging.

I have an ARB aluminium roof rack, 300mm high drawers which remain full of recovery/camping gear/tools and a drop down fridge slide. I did have a Kaymar dual rear wheel carrier but have removed it and opted for the original rear set up as when new. I went to 800kg springs in the back with the Kaymar bar to keep it level when full of diesel and gear. Figure I may need to add another leaf in time as the suspension seats in. I'm trying to avoid airbags but will look at that down the track.

Also put in a 3in Taipan exhaust and the difference is amazing. The vehicle can finally breathe.

Hope this aids others looking at GVM upgrades in Perth in the future.

Cheers
Richard
kjgsledge

State:: Qld
PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just remember that a gvm upgrade will not increase your gcm it is still 6800 kg
notes1952

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no GCM specified for the 70 series - well not on NSW registration and not on the Toyota website specifications.
kjgsledge

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh i know, but rule of thumb is factory gvm plus tow rating is gcm , i spent a fortune getting my trayback lifted to 3900 only to find out the same thing .
D&T

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, was aware the GCM would remain at 6800kg and I believe that is on the new compliance plate. With the Troopy at 3200kg with the drawers full and me in it I had to do something!

It was the wife or the Engel, so I asked the wife if she could keep a carton of beer cold.....got out of that with minor cuts and bruising along with a sore ear!

As has been mentioned before, the GCM is rarely policed but with the Kaymar bar gone and the upgrade I have a little more flexibility and I agree, it is not a cheap exercise.
Bushtracker
Site Admin

State:: Queensland
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my experience, a couple of things:

GCM is not so strictly enforced in non-commercial vehicles. For one, the Transport people rarely check, don't pull you off at the weighbridges, and would not even know if or what the Manufacturers GCM was for most of our tow vehicles... Just do not exceed your maximum towing capacity because the DO enforce that, even your Insurance is at stake..

In my experience,GVM for non-commercial vehicles, is not usually done with the people sitting in the vehicle. The first thing that happens is you get out for a stretch and a chat as they set up portable scales... That gives you a hundred fifty to two hundred kilos up your sleaves..

Commercial Rigs like my MAN truck and big gooseneck horserig on the back, now that is another story, and GVM and GCM are right on the outside of the door. I was called off the highway through a weighbridge just a few weeks ago, coming back from the Pacific Coast Reining Horse Championships... Wink I think they just wanted to see my new buckle, Heh he..

It is so big, that almost put me over the top on GVM Laughing Laughing Laughing
kjgsledge

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not the dot i am worried about , its the insurance company, between the van and toyotathere is a whole lot of money at stake if involved in an accident
D&T

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My feelings exactly and I have a responsibility to keep within the limits. The GVM upgrade was so I could put the van on he Troopy. If I have to go lighter in the van so be it. Can still do some culling on the Troopy I I need to.

Cheers
Richard
Louie100

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have recently gone through the same exercise, although Iam still to get the engineers certificate, but have spoken to him and just trying to find the time to get the truck inspected.
Richard, did you upgrade your side indicators to category 6 as per the ADR's, I was advised to see if the engineer required them first, but I fitted them myself as I didn't want to have to go back a second time, and I figure that if he is doing his job right he will want them on anyway.
I went with 500kg rear leaves and bellows type air bags which lifted the double cab close on 75mm, a bit more than I wanted but I guess it will settle back down with use.

Cheers Andrew.
D&T

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andrew,

To be honest, I have no idea what a Category 6 indicator is or why you would need to change them for a GVM upgrade!

Also, as far as I'm aware the engineer didn't even look at the car but I can't be certain. I just sent through 5 photos of the car and tyres to ARB and they got the compliance plate sent through the post, popped the suspension in and fitted the plate.

The DOT inspector didn't have any problems so all is good. Might be different for different states but an ADR is an ADR so not sure what the go there is.

Also ended up fitting the brake controller on top of the dash over the hazard lights button. I've got orang-utan arms so no problem there. Real easy to reach and control.

Cheers
Richard
Louie100

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gday Richard,

I wish it was that easy in NSW, have to supply fit sheets or build sheets to prove that the components have been fitted, also any technical specifications on each component (saves the engineer having to work out ratings etc). I used the ARB kit but he prefered that ARB fitted the springs etc even though I am a qualified heavy vehicle technician, again to make his job easier as he knows who he is dealing with. Actually none of the kit suppliers for GVM upgrades allow anyone but them selves to fit because they are regarded as a second stage manufacturer.
The ARB kit which is the only kit available at the moment for the double cab cruiser (others are pending) stipulates that catergory 6 side indicators are to be fitted. From what I understand it is because the vehicle GVM exceeds 3500kg, but might only purtain to the double cab, I don't know.
Catergory 6 indicators are about 3 times the size of the standard ones and a higher wattage, also they must shine rearward so that overtaking traffic can see that you are turning.
Sounds like a lot of guff but who am I to rock the boat. Very Happy

Cheers
Andrew
D&T

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a little lost for words Andrew,

I get the GVM upgrade hassle if you are installing yourself but I'm not getting the indicator thing at all. I mean.........what?......heh?......why?......

I had a look at the ADR but fell asleep through sheer boredom. I mean, it's the same vehicle! I reckon you may have been mislead here or the ADR misinterpreted and for the sake of common sense I sure hope so.

Just make sure you don't go knocking over any pedestrians or wildlife with those things!.......
DavidI

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:16 pm    Post subject: Just acquired a 2008 VDJ78 to replace my trusty 80 TD Reply with quote

After 22 years and 610,000 ks my Factory 1HD-T 80 Series LC died on the Mooney Bridge Central Coast. She had towed vans, boats and implements all over Oz, illegally I was to learn as she was pre '96. She towed our 20' BT very well and we only recently completed a trip from the Eyre Peninsular and back. Thank God she didn't die on that trip

I had been looking at the Troopy option for some years as I like the longer wheel base for stability and the extra storage and net weight carrying capacity. I bit the bullet and purchased an immaculate 2008 GXL. It has been impeccably maintained but has 200,000 Ks on the clock. It has had the Lovel suspension GVM upgrade kit fitted but the GVM has not been altered. It has never towed in the last three years and light stuff prior.

Can anyone offer me any advice on what mods would be a good idea. It has brand new BFG 285x75xR16 AT tyres fitted.

I need to fit an electric brake controller and not sure whether I should fit the latest Tekonsha or the Red Arc. Any advice.

The vehicle rides and handles much better than I had expected, the previous owner tells me he had the new suspension fitted for that reason. Some are telling me to fit the wheel spacers to the rear wheels to bring the rear track in line with the front, but I am concerned about the bearing loading if I was to do that. any advice on that aspect would be appreciated.
David and Shirley
Theywent Thataway

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on the new vehicle! Had a 2007 Troopie, now a 2009 VDJ76 (the 4 door version). 100series prior to that. My thoughts are:-

1) Wheel spacers are ILLEGAL. Will void insurance and REGO. Totatlly unnecessary - you get used to it.
2) Check full weights of both tug and van before going for upgrade which is doable - but may not be necessary.. (we just upgraded our 76 wagon from 3T to 3.5T out of necessity...Easy to do)
3) Tekonsha brake controller - ours on the Troopy sat by the left of the steering wheel at knee level. Perched atop the dash on the wagon.
4) Bigger (wider) side steps. We had full length on Troopy - made roof access easier.
5) Lots of cool stuff done on the inside for easy access storage etc. (ie...instead of a hard dash "pod", I have simply folded some marine carpet and velcroed it insitu on the dash over the UHF etc).

6) Our Troopy also had a hydrogen generator fitted - made for EXCELLENT economy and just that bit more power (not that its needed). Soon to be installed on 76 too (so he says....)

Thats for a start and some ideas.

Enjoy!

Maz.

Theywent Thataway

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh.....and a 3" exhaust. BIG difference.
And a Second battery.
And window tinting. Lots of windows means lots of heat if you don't.
Re: Red Arc vs Tekonsha....If the Red Arc is the push button, rather than the slide sort like the Tekonsha....have had both. Much more control/adjustment with the slide of the Tekonsha.

M.

D&T

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're going to install rear drawers and are carrying a fridge, I would look at the option of having the fridge at floor level and having the drawers, one on top of the other, next to it although not sure if available for a Troopy.

As previously written, I have the 300mm high drawers (fits fishing, first aid and compressor boxes nicely) but this necessitated the drop down slide which is a heavy bit of gear I could do without.

Will eventually mount the compressor but not under the bonnet.

Agree totally with the 3in exhaust and all that Maz has written and also a shelf/storage above the windscreen if you need the space.

Cheers
Richard
D&T

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David and Shirley,

If you want to email me so I get your address I can show you what 3200kg looks like. You'll just have to imagine the Kaymar dual wheel carrier on the back. I haven't been able to get to the weighbridge yet with it removed.

It doesn't take much to get the weight up with both tanks full.

Cheers
Richard
DavidI

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your feedback Maz and Richard.

Ours already has a Beaudesert 3" exhaust and a dual rear wheel carrier, dual batteries, cruise control, a 'Tuff' brand alloy bull bar and side steps fitted with a 12,000 lb winch.

The recent (10,000 ks ago) suspension upgrade has given about a 3" lift so I am not sure whether the goose neck on the standard adjustable Reece hitch assembly will be long enough (down) yet as I haven't hitched up the van. It is so bloody wet here I will probably bog the Troopy tying to back up to the BT in the back yard.

I have attached a photograph.

Richard, I have emailed you, thanks for the offer as we are about to fit Black Widow draws and cages as we had in the old 80 Series LC.
[img][/img]
Theywent Thataway

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks fabulous!

Ah, yes...Compressor. We managed to add an Endless Air compressor. (yet another supposedly "can't be done" thing). Pumps at 8cfm (as fast as a servo) and mounted under the rear bumper. Snug, but effective. Needed a few alts as the original runs off one of the belts in the engine bay...which was FULL. Its under the belly in the 76.

Hand made a "T" style storage compartment with cool cabin lights across the front above the windscreen. Went soft and bought a ready to install for the 76.

Have fun!!

Maz
kalmwaters

State:: Queensland
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are too high and run out of adjustment on your hitch, just move hitch on van to top of A frame. You will pick up 50mm straight away.
DavidI

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kalmwaters wrote:
If you are too high and run out of adjustment on your hitch, just move hitch on van to top of A frame. You will pick up 50mm straight away.

Will that not cause my weight distribution bars to to foul with the A Frame though?
Louie100

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:57 am    Post subject: GVM upgrade Reply with quote

Finally found the time to get the paper work finalised for the gvm upgrade on the double cab yesterday. The engineer thoroughly inspected each spring, shock absorber etc, checked the part numbers against the fitting list that the ARB fitters supplied and took lots of photos and height measurements. Interesting to note that he had a copy of the Australian Design Rule which purtained to this vehicle and checked the mods against it. He also went to considerable effort to make me aware that the GCM does not change. After an hour and half and $485 I have the certificate and the vehicle details have been lodged with the RMS, and a revised rego certificate will be mailed out to me.

Cheers
Andrew Laughing
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> Tips on TOW VEHICLES All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: