TOYOTA 200 SERIES, SUCCESSES AND FAILURES, UPDATED MAR 2012
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> Tips on TOW VEHICLES
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bushtracker
Site Admin

State:: Queensland
Current Bushtracker owner:: Yes
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject: TOYOTA 200 SERIES, SUCCESSES AND FAILURES, UPDATED MAR 2012 Reply with quote

Hello Friends,

I own a 200 Series. I also own a 100 Series which I have restored the running gear to new condition, and a Silverado. If you are purchasing a New Tow Vehicle, these are the top three most commonly bought NEW to tow a Bushtracker at this time.. . The purpose of my actually owning all three, is to give you Real Time R&D without Bias of owning one or the other as I am testing all three with fairness in mind... I combine my own research with what is reported by Toyota Engineers and Insiders to me, as well as the combined experience of our Clients towing Bushtrackers.

Here is my update on the 200 Series as of June 08:

Luxury, and quiet of driving, and Power: Yes the 200 Series wins in all categories, hands down, no contest, best Toyota has ever done in the luxury car category.. However, my 100 Series GXL is not that far behind it...

Economy towing with a 200 Series (diesel), it has not met the Holy Grail we hoped for... But it is about a ½ to 1 km per litre better than the 100 Series. Reliable reports are averaging 5.5 to 6 km per litre on a 20’ average sized Bushtracker. The 100 Series are reporting just over and just under the 5 km per litre with a big van..

Application... The best insider Technician in Toyota has told us: “This is a luxury vehicle, not our Outback Vehicle now.. Our Outback vehicle now is the Workmate 76 Series 4 door.” The best independent Technician, a Diesel Engineer of the BMW grade, the kind that builds his own custom Toyotas with V-8 Diesels since the 1990’s, and maintains a Fleet, has bought a 200 Series for servicing Mining Claims he owns out west... He has run an 80 Series, and a 100 Series to death and is now into the 200 Series Landcruiser V-8 Diesels.. He has bought the Toyota Diagnostic Computer, speed can hookup set, Probes, and the $600 CD 200 Series Workshop manuals and is studying so he can have confidence in his vehicle in the Outback should it quit running. His comment is: “There are 30 interactive sensors and computers on board to run it... Not for the home mechanic to say the least”.

Bugs... Yes there have been a few, but it is pretty good overall. The towing package is a series of black box relays in the Toyota wiring harness on the inside of the left back panel. A few people have had problems with it and more than a few have been replaced... Toyota has said they were going to redesign it, but so far all they have done is release this new “Recommended Maximum Trailer Lamp Wattage” data sheet:

This means you might want to Order with all LED lights to draw less current... This is one of the valid reasons to justify going all LED...

All in all, it is probably the best of the new Luxury Vehicles for smaller vans say 21’ and down... We do not suggest anyone tow 22’ unless they are a Professional Driver, due to wheelbase and control concerns if something happens in a pinch. Wheelbase and control are the issues here. Over that and you need to look at the Silverado or other larger tow vehicles for safety reasons should something happen on the road.

Myself ? I have a Super Cruiser, please read the Tip in this Category REBIRTH/ SUPER-CRUISER, TOP MOST RELIABLE TOW VEHICLE PICS on the restoration of a live front axle monobean front end 100 Series. I want a tow vehicle I can work on, and I propose this as an alternative. This would have more gear on it than you need, probably the most of any Landcruiser in Queensland, and no on board electronics to speak of. In all fairness, given that I have both, a fully restored 100 Series, and the 200 Series... I would take the 100 Series Outback and leave the 200 Series at home in the city...

However, some of you do not feel comfortable having someone restore a 100 Series into new condition, and some of you feel you have to buy new for tax purposes or prestige or what ever.. If so, the new 200 Series may be just the thing for you. It is certainly comfortable, and powerful, and quiet. I just feel better about being able to work on my own vehicle if anything goes wrong, and this is not the confidence I retain when driving the 200 Series... OK?

Regards, stg

Last edited by Bushtracker on Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:48 am; edited 7 times in total
pce

State:: SA
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:26 pm    Post subject: LC Payload and Towball Weight Reply with quote

Folks
Possibly a naive question but I invite responses from the more experienced. I note the LC200 V8 T/D has a Gross Vehicle Mass of 3300kg and a Kerb Mass of 2700-2630kg (probably depending upon Toyota options). I thus conclude the maximum vehicle payload is 3300-2700=600kg.

This payload has to account for all non-Toyota weights: driver, passengers, all additional fittings (LR tank + fuel, Bullbar etc) as well as any actual load (fridge, stuff,..).
My question is does the available payload also have to include the towball download?

I note that the specs for some vehicles (Patrol?) indicate that the available payload (GVM-Kerb weight) reduces with increasing towball download. But I have found no comparable statement from Toyota.

I further note that with a towball load of say 300kg and 150kg of (medium sized?) driver/passenger the remaining available load is a mere 150kg and that is before any additional bits are added to the truck.

Or am I mistaken.

Thanks for you views
pce
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Pce,

Now a September 08 Update and we have about 40 of these running as well as six months with my own...

Look at the issue from a technical stand, and yes "Pce" if they put you over the portable scales at the border of NSW, they are going to weigh your GVM as you are hooked up. I have not met anyone put through the paces on this, but I have heard of it. As a rule they are not that strict on enforcement with non-commercial vehicles.

They will nab you if you are towing over your limit on tow capacity, but I have not met anyone tagged for being over their GVM, if it is only a few hundred kilos and they are hooked up to a big van. Nor have I heard of anyone being ticketed for GCM. These are strictly enforced on Commercial Vehicles, but not widely enforced on private vehicles from what my experience has been talking with the thousands..

Overweight on the van? Yes you are in trouble. Now to specifics on the 200 Series, I have one, and while it is a lovely thing to drive and gets GREAT fuel economy at about 10 k per litre of diesel running empty and 6 km / litre towing... There are some major disadvantages and payload is woefully low. I have heard however of two that have gotten a GVM increase with a Transport Approved Engineer, and that is a good idea.

After six months experience with mine (Wife is driving it most of the time) I will say that this is a fantastic luxury town car 4x4... But it has several drawbacks for the Outback:

1) Fuel system is a bit fussy. I have heard Toyota did not want to bring it to Australia... So keep your fuel VERY clean as the repairs are reportedly VERY expensive. This comes from my Inside Engineering Contact at Toyota... I was told that water in the system could cost up to $7000 in repairs, so keep it clean.

2) The front suspension is very complex, do not hit anything, or use it for severe rock crawling without EXTREME care...

3) Computers... This is the most complex computer and sensors system Tojo has ever made. One Diesel Engineer is trying to Master his systems with Toyota Shop DVDs, as he travels with big $ back and forth to his Mining claims and cannot afford to break down.. His last report was 30 onboard computer and sensor combinations.

4) Payload is VERY light. In all fairness even Toyota says this is not their Bush Vehicle now, the 76 and 79 Series are. They say their four door Workmate is their Bush vehicle now, but it is a bit basic a Spartan for most. Anyway, I have heard of for sure two people getting a Modification Plate for GVM increase on the 200 Series with the addition of air bags under the rear. For many of you this is probably a necessity OK?

Lovely thing to drive, frightening on power, smooth luxury car... Just take care of it as I think it is a bit fragile in many respects, so slow down. You don't want to run off the road into a ditch, hit a cattle grate too hard, or go rock climbing with this rig without extreme care. Keep mindful of the fragility of all this exposed front end, you don't want to hit something..

No doubt a lovely and luxurious and capable tow vehicle, just a bit more fragile than Toyotas of the past; so take due care... Wink

Kind Regards, stg
Loki of Condor

State:: WA
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to compare payloads using the diesel GXL:

LC200: 600 - 670kg
LC100: 710 - 750kg
Nissan Patrol 3 litre ST-L: 569kg
Range Rover Sport TDV8: 433kg

So it's a bit less than the LC100 GXL and better than the current Patrol or Rangie.

cheers
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loki, you are correct ! I just looked mine up, 750 kg... I thought it was more than that on the 100 Series... I know that is not dramatic, but even 80 kilos is significant, when most want more on board.
The 200 Series Sahara has even more of a real issue, and is not offered with a second tank because of the reduced payload...

Regards, stg
Bow & Nan

State:: NSW
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ARB now have a GVM upgrade available if you fit OME suspension Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

GVM upgrade needs to be organized before the 200 series first registration.

Greg
Yogi and Muffin

State:: Victoria
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg is right, the OME suspension system has just been released by ARB. Apparently it comes with various spring and suspension options but there are no details yet on the ARB website.
The GVM upgrade is only available if you have the complete OME kit with front and rear upgrades.

I must admit that I don't quite understand why the GVM upgrade is only available on new unregistered vehicles as the equipment is the same. Beurocratic red tape maybe ??
Tony
Loki of Condor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GVM upgrade is available both before and after registration.

However, after registration requires an engineer's certificate and that usually costs an extra couple of grand, unfortunately.
pce

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all responses.
Did I read correctly somewhere that GVM upgrades (with eng cert) are not permitted for South Aust registered vehicles?
pce
Mobi Condo

State:: South Australia
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had our 80 Series DX TLC engineer upgraded from GVM 2960 to 3350 (which is same as tyre placard) with new VIN plate on engine bay fire wall and a plate on the tow bar frame to say if we towed with GVM above 2960 then we had to have a braked trailer even if it is under the 750KG. We have LT tyres, King Spring High Lift Comfort springs and shockers to match as well in order for this to have been approved.
We knew that it would go to 3350, but not being an engineer, we had to have one inspect and certify and of course pay him $485 to get it all approved by Transport SA at the beloved Regency Park. Hope this helps the last post on this discussion which seemed to be a general question for SA and not directly linked to the 200 series.
Cheers - Ian & Sally
Terrain to Travel
pce

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MobiCondo
Thank you for your response, I am encouraged
pce
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Friends, by popular request, I am Posting my choice of suspension and Bullbars...

The best I have seen so far, the only that appears to work and has a GVM increase (which you need) is ARB. And here is the best Bull Bar I have seen:

What you want is headlight module surrounds, as a big Roo would stuff the bonnet, headlight module and front mudguard...

As opposed to this style, which looks good but I swear the Roos either don't quite get going fast enough, or miscalculate, and you always seem to hit them on one corner or the other... No offence to the Owner, lovely looking but...Laughing

This is what it looks like, about 9" out from the grill, offers really good protection and it is winch compatible, and STEEL...

Steel is obviously better in reality... If you are going to go to alloy, you have to have a heavy alloy one built like this BOCAR bar on my F-350.

Measured on the flat part of the bar on top, it is 9mm thick... I am holding a pair of Engineering Calipers, really the alloy flat plate is 9mm thick: Big Stuff.. And note the headlight surrounds I think are important. Now I might hold the record, I think I took out 11 animals in one big trip in Australia, (ten by accident but then there was this big Black Snake.. Laughing ) anyway that is more than I have done on Game Patrol in Africa many years ago.. The Bullbar and headlight surrounding part are very important...

Someone might say "that is what insurance is for"... But don't forget the time stuck somewhere waiting for the fix on a headlight module, bonnet, and front mudguard imprinted with a big Red Roo... Note the value of headlight module surrounds for bonnet and mudguard protection.. And: If you are going alloy, make sure it is thick enough for the job. And I prefer the white bullbar above on the 200 Series from my experience, from ARB, in steel... As most alloy bars are for city looks and a bit light...

In this ARB have copied over the structure that has proven most effective in the Outback for the past 20 years like on this 100 Series:

And just upgraded it to suit the 200 Series, but not changed a good thing, because "If it works well, don't fix it": And I like the look of this bar.

I will give you my best advice, from 40 years experience, and following the progress of 1000 Owners. You evaluate my point of view, and then do what suits you, but I am doing the best job I can for your benefit.

Kind Regards, lone Ranger
Semper Fidelis

Last edited by Bushtracker on Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:15 am; edited 5 times in total
Yogi and Muffin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve,

Totally agree with you about the steel ARB bull bar and I was interested that you put one on your 200 series without a suspension upgrade yet.
I definately want to do this but I am somewhat reluctant to add about 80 Kg up front without a suspension upgrade as it may aggravate the hobby horse effect.

ARB have just released their OME suspension upgrade for the 200 series and I was going to wait awhile and see if there were problems with it.

Are you contemplating getting a suspension upgrade for your 200 series? If so will you be getting an engineers certificate to upgrade the GVM?
Regards,
Tony
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Tony,

Yogi, those are pictures of other Owners vehicles. My 200 Series is staying in town and I have not gotten around to a Bullbar for it or the suspension upgrade...

It has degenerated to the status of a luxury town car in our Family, and has become the Missus vehicle. It may get a Bullbar for Christmas Laughing If so it will be a Powder Coated one like the white one above... But I do not think I will take it out Bush. I would be more comfortable in my 100 Series in the Topic "Rebirth of the SuperCruiser"... Or the F-350... But most of the time I travel with the Mack Horse truck anyway. This year I am going to Tamworth Nationals with just my F-350 and 22' Bushtracker. My Trainer is transporting my two horses for the Nationals, since he is going anyway. I will go in luxury in the King Ranch F-350, and I love driving it so much, my Son may get the Super Cruiser...

I am not going to tow my 22' van with the 200 Series. It is not up to the task for safety reasons in my Professional Truck Drivers License experience and estimation from all the interstate towing I have done. But, the suspension upgrade from ARB looks good. If you can afford to wait, do so, to get the refinements they will add with experience of time, in the Bush.

Cheers, Stg.
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a picture of an extremely well equipped 200 Series...
He has beaten the tank problem with a 170 litre long Ranger tank, and added two spares for the second spare advantage...

Bull bar is good and he has the best of the Driving Lights...

I am a little concerned and spoke with him about his GVM... He has airbags under the back to hold the load and is very happy with how it tows his Bushtracker... But I would bet money he is over weight.

In all fairness I have advised him that I suspect he NEEDS the GVM increase from the ARB mob or another Engineer..

I have ask him to get it weighed, so I can help others. I will post results when this happens...

Cheers... stg

Last edited by Bushtracker on Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:16 am; edited 1 time in total
The Hob

State:: QLD
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GVM for standard 200 series is 3300kg and he doesn't have a van attached yet???????

Alan

(Update, ARB GVM Increase is now through, and it goes to 3580 kg) More on this later in this Thread.... Regards, road Ranger...
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at this idea, for security and peace of mind:
We all need to adapt to understanding that these new computer driven engines in the modern vehicles, are managed by black box computers that run off SENSORS.... Most problems, are a sensor, that might only have to have the plug cleaned, or the electrical connection tightened, or the Sensor itself cleaned...

But there are any number of them and WHERE do you even START to look... Shocked Question

Well, I am buying a Tuner for my full import F-350 King Ranch. It not only will tune the engine for fuel economy, but also read codes..... Diagnostic Trouble Codes or DTCs... Then when you fix the sensor or problem, it will clear the Codes for you and everything is back to normal without going to a Dealer in the Tanami or out back of Augathella.. Laughing
At worst, you need a little part, that is mailed to you Air Mail, and you install it and Clear the Code, and away you go... A tuner that does this (there are any number of them) can give you about a 15% better fuel economy and have this Code reading ability. You can down load the list of Codes and what they mean. After two years of research and having owned a PowerChips, and an Edge Juice with Attitude, I have decided from all reports THIS is the best unit: SCT 3015 Xcal3 tuner It looks like this:
http://hiperformancediesel.com/index.php?cPath=3_7_775

Now there are also Diagnostic Tools, that only read and clear codes, so you can attempt a fix yourself or at least call for help or call for a part..... They look like this:
http://www.iequus.com/products.php?category_id=1_10_7
or like this:
http://www.actron.com/product_category.php?id=249

It has dawned on me ( I am a little slow) that this could be the most important part you should carry for your 200 Series Landcruiser once you are out of range of the Dealer... Which is right away... Laughing

I have put out feelers to three Sources to find a Code Scanner for the 200 Series, do the same for yourselves. I STRONGLY suggest, that if you are at all handy, this is the BEST thing you can do for reliability of your 200 Series in remote regions. Belts and Radiator hoses, and filters, and with these new computer driven engines a Code Scanner, that can at least tell you what is wrong so you can call for a part or help... OK?

I am suggesting, that it is likely this is now available, and I would not go without it. I will seach more as I have time here at the Nationals in Tamworth...

And WOW, you should see this place.. FABULOUS... I will get some piccies

Regards from the lone Road Ranger... Wink
Bow & Nan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It has dawned on me ( I am a little slow) that this could be the most important part you should carry for your 200 Series Landcruiser once you are out of range of the Dealer

ScanGauge 11 will read and clear codes and can be used to monitor battery voltage, RPM, Speed, water temp, throttle setting, air intake temp, timing, etc

ScanGuage 11 can be used as a trip computer

Greg
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good Greg!

I have just searched the Internet for you Bushtracker Owners and narrowed it down to the source... Here it is a direct link:
http://www.scangauge.com.au/

I will assert this is probably one of the MOST important things to add to your 200 Series. The why of it all is that you can tell what is wrong, and maybe fix it or at least get on the phone to find out HOW to fix it or get a new electronic part or sensor sent out by Express Post...

The GREAT NEWS is that it works for Land Rover, and other Euro vehicles like VW, as well as the Japanese vehicles.. Wink I will assert that for an inexpensive price ($235) from the source, WOW Shocked This is Cheap Insurance.....

Then all you have to do is get the list of Engine Codes and what they mean for your specific vehicle... OK with this? Best advice...

As it turns out, the American vehicles run on one system the OBDII, and the Japanese and Euro vehicles run on another.... (Typical)

Best Regards, stg
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is finally here, what I have been waiting for....

First of all my Graphite Grey 200 Series is booked into ARB for the Deluxe Winch Bar, color coded 1G3 to match the 200 Series... Pictures and Suspension increase details coming soon...

BUT ALSO, BIG NEWS....I HAVE GOTTEN THE REAL DEAL ARB MEMORANDUM ON GVM INCREASE AND SUSPENSION INCREASE:

MEMORANDUM

TO: ALL ARB STATE OFFICES & OME FITTERS

SUBJECT: GVM UPGRADES FOR LANDCRUISER 200 SERIES AND PATROL 3.0 LITRE CAB CHASSIS COIL / LEAF

We are very pleased to announce that ARB has been successful in obtaining a Department of Transport and Regional Services (DoTaRS) approval to increase the GVM on new and unregistered Toyota 200 Series and the Nissan Patrol 3.0 litre cab Chassis coil front, leaf rear model.

GVM Upgrade details:
OE GVM ARB GVM UP GRADE

200 SERIES 3300 KGS 3580 KGS

This notification is so you can tell customer now that we have these upgrades available and early next week I will be sending out full details on part numbers and special a copy of the order forms.

Kind Regards
Syd Groves

NOW THIS IS FOR UNREGISTERED NEW 200 SERIES ONLY... (Red Tape Bulldust protocol)
But the REGISTERED ALREADY 200 Series GVM increase is coming Again Insider ARB Memo:

Sent: Monday, 10 November 2008 10:04 AM
To: Guy Basile
Subject: Registered vehicle GVM upgrades

Goodmorning again all
Just letting you all know that it is looking very likely that we will once again be able to perform GVM upgrades on registered vehicles in the near future.
QLD transport were happy with our proposal and have indicated that we should receive approval. They are currently finalizing the detail and procedure.
I will advise when we have received all the documentation and procedures etc.

Regards

GUY BASILE
ARB CORPORATION LTD

Will keep you all Posted, cuz dat is da lone Rangers job... Laughing Wink
Semper Fidelis
Yogi and Muffin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,

You mention QLD transport in regard to the GVM upgrade for previously registered vehicles. Do you know if this will only apply in Queensland or are ARB applying in other states as well?

I was looking to get a VASS engineer to do this when I upgraded the suspension on my 200 series and this can be done but his answer is " I would be happy to inspect and approve the modification providing ARB give me full access to all necessary documentation associated with their new vehicle compliance plate approval. They may however be unwilling to do this so they may put you in touch with an engineer who assisted them to compile their approval (if they used a consultant and that consultant is approved as a VASS signatory)."

It would obviously be better if ARB could arrange it themselves but it may be that they could only arrange the upgrade at the time that they fit the system and as such it may well be advisable to wait at this stage.

I would also like to confirm that you believe that the 400 Kg suspension upgrade is required and that the 200 Kg is not sufficient.

Regards,

Tony
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony, Yogi Bear,
Look, I understand that ARB are on the verge of doing this with already Registered vehicles all over Australia... Wait, patience is a virtue...

That is why my own 200 Series is just now getting the upgrades. A color matched bar first on Monday, and then is in line for the new suspension and GVM increase... Wait if you can...

On the issue of 200 kg or 400 kg, again we might be affected by what they call for. The truth is, in general a 200 kg increase has proven to be woeful and not worth the effort. 400 has always been the better option, as we load them up with a fridge, tools, toys, and then maybe 300 kg of ball weight??? Shocked Yea, 400 is my guess.

Regards, stg, da lone Ranger Wink
Bow & Nan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony, Yogi Bear,

Took our 200 Series today to the local ARB dealer to have 400 Kg suspension upgrade, 185L Aux Fuel tank and spare wheel carrier installed. I have air bags installed on the rear coils.

The local ARB dealer advised me the 400kg suspension upgrade with air bags is the minimum for the weight of the vehicle.

He has ordered in a set of 600kg coils and said if I'm not happy after a week with the 400kg coils he will swap them for the 600kg.

Greg
Yogi and Muffin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THanks Guys,

That pretty much confirms my thoughts. Just shows the value of this forum, it is fantastic.

Tony
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bow and Nan, (In reply to your above comments)

The truth is that the 600 kg would be better for towing fully loaded up... The problem is, that when unloaded, it would ride too hard for most people. In my experiments with that wheelbase length, the compromise is the 400 kg springs and air bags. Air bags down to 5 lbs when unloaded and you have a firm but comfortable ride, fully loaded you pump them up to 30 lbs and you have the 600 kg load. Still riding on steel, not wallowing like air bags alone, just a little more capacity added to the springs...

Yogi Bear: Here are the part numbers of the springs and shocks that ARB are using for the GVM increase. The actual increase and Mod Plate on their internal memo is an additional $324. My suggestion is go with the GVM increase kit, and when they complete the paperwork for the GVM increase in ALREADY REGISTERED Vehicles (which they say is soon) then all you have to do is have the Mod Plate fitted and deliver the paperwork..
Check it out, but that is my idea... Wink

ARB Internal Memo
GVM UPGRADES FOR LANDCRUISER 200 SERIES & PATROL 3.0 LITRE CAB CHASSIS

As previously advised, ARB has obtained approval from the Department of Transport and Regional Services, Canberra, for GVM upgrades for the above models. The approvals are specific to new unregistered vehicles with original equipment rims and tyres or equivalent rated replacements.

The Old Man Emu GVM upgrade suspension systems, as listed below, can only be installed by an OME Licensed Fitter.

LANDCRUISER 200 SERIES V8 WAGONS.
3580 KG GVM UPGRADE

The approved ARB 3580KG GVM upgrade must consist of front and rear suspension components made up from the following part numbers:

FRONT: SPRINGS SHOCK ABSORBERS
OME701, OME703 N208S

REAR: OME723, OME724 & OME725 N210

The new compliance plate must be attached to the driver door pillar next to the original plate.

The Compliance Kit Part number is 2003580 with a RRP of $324.

Regards from the lone Ranger, trying to look after you 24/7
Semper Fidelis
Bow & Nan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,
The best way to set up the 4WD is to find someone that has already modified their 4WD and learn from what they have done.

ARB recommended that I install 600Kg coils on the rear. Confused I read your tips on tow vehicles and that's why I installed air bags and waited for ARB to release OME upgrade. Thanks for the information.

Greg
Oz Native

Current Bushtracker owner:: Ordered
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:23 pm    Post subject: September 2008, Update on 200 Series, Successes and Failures Reply with quote

My GVM upgrade has now been completed on our six month old LC200. We purchased an OME suspension upgrade from ARB Brighton in Melbourne. Following the upgrade VicRoads required us to have a VASS approved engineer inspect the vehicle and provide a certificate authenticating that the upgrade was done correctly and to ARB's product specification. FYI the cost of the inspection was $770.00. I will supply the engineers name and contact details to anyone who is interested. Any of the 200, 400 or 600 upgrades qualify for the GVM increase to 3580. We had a 400 upgrade installed. After taking the engineers certificate to VicRoads they had a cursory look at the vehicle and then provided us with a new registration certificate which specified the GVM increase to 3580. VicRoads do not provide a new plate for the vehicle and do not require a new plate to be fitted. I hope this is helpful for members.
Regards
Ross
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, after months of studying them and looking at about 50 that have come in here, I have started the upgrades on my 200 Series...

Look, in all fairness, my advice is purely in your own best interests. You should at least consider the choices I make like this, as I see more Bushtracker Tow vehicles that just about anyone. I have nothing to benefit from this, it is reported for YOUR benefit. After all the study and review of all options I selected the ARB Deluxe Winch compatible BB:

Note the headlight surrounds, and adequate room for protection if you do hit a big Red....

A very nice detail cut in, courtesy NorthCoast 4x4 Center, the local ARB shop and very nice people to deal with..

I went to the trouble of having the BB Colour matched to the 200 Series. In this case 1G3 Colour Code, and that took about a week to organize but ARB took care of it..

I have not decided on a winch or not yet... Seems a bit of a waste for a town car... Laughing Cool But maybe... I may just get a piece of Bushtracker Checkerplate to dress up over the top of the cut outs for the winch controls, it will look good. The other holes with be filled with driving lights and the winch cut out might not be noticable anyway.

Overall, this protection is what I prefer in such a nice 4x4 Luxury Car...

Last edited by Bushtracker on Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:16 am; edited 2 times in total
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Werner,
You may be confusing the different subjects here.... 400 kg upgrade on the springs and total cargo carrying capacity are not the same thing or should I say, the same number. And, the GXL already has a second tank built in.. And the Air Bags addition I recommend in the middle ground of 400 kg springs, has nothing to do with the GVM increase. I think you are confusing and lumping all these in together.

Maybe slow down, and make a trip to Toyota to look at the GXL and get the numbers of the Tare, and the GVM, and what tanks it has and then go back to this Thread and maybe it will make more sense OK?

Some people are electing to take the ARB GVM increase package. While others are increasing the suspension with heavier springs that are available in 200 kg, 400 kg, and 600 kg increases. While the 600 kg would ride good hooked up to a larger van, it would be a bit stiff around town and that is why I mention the middle ground of 400 kg springs and the addition of poly air bags inside the 400 kg springs. Poly air bags inside normal springs is not a good idea as you wallow around as the air compresses. But 400 kg springs would still carry you firmly, and if you needed a little more the air bags could be pumped up for that firmness JUST when you are hooked up.. I have such a system in my 100 Series.. I run about 5 lbs just to keep the air bag filled, when around town. If I hook up to a big van with the Cruiser, I have the option of firming it up if I feel the need...

This air bag topic is not related to the standard ARB GVM increase suspension.. But a different subject... OK now? Or clear as mud... If you need more, please contact me at bushtracker, no worries...

One more note to anyone buying a Landcruiser: Many people are shifting towards NOT getting the KDSS option on the 200 Series, in favour of the ARB GVM Suspension increase. Please talk with ARB about this before spending extra money on the KDSS suspension from Toyota. The last I have heard is that it is of little relevance with regards to the new GVM increase package and does not work well towing with it.. Check with ARB.

Regards, stg
Loki of Condor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding towing with the LC200....

The vehicle has a function called Vehicle Stability Control. This is designed to apply the brakes, selectively, to each wheel to bring the vehicle back under control if things get a bit out of whack. Most modern vehicles have this feature.

There is a button to turn VSC off. I would turn VSC off when towing a caravan because the computer that controls VSC, and therefore the selective braking action, is not designed to take into account this massive pendulum swinging off the back of the vehicle.

If you get a bit out of whack with a van on, like a bit of fishtailing, and VSC tries to correct things it could really get serious. In this situation your best friend is the brake controller and you don't need the vehicle's computer trying to work against you.

Unfortunately, with the LC200, turning VSC off is cancelled every time you turn the ignition off and each time you start the engine you have to turn VSC off again.
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loki-

Isn't that only with the KDSS? I have not experienced it with mine, but it is dead wrong for the outback as the program runs the brakes electronically alternately at each wheel to stabilize the vehicle. I though it would wear severely on the corrugation (in my opinion..)

I don't like that sort of gear in general, made for city life and not rough tracks and potholes... Laughing Ranger
Loki of Condor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is on all LC200s, with or without KDSS.

Steve, I'm sure you are aware, but other readers may not be, that the KDSS is purely there for greater wheel travel in slow off road, 4wdriving conditions. On road, in tight fast cornering it actually tightens up the wheel travel to give a flat, stable ride.

I've seen comments on other Forums linking KDSS with load carrying capacity; definitely not the case.

The Vehicle Stability Control is there to help stabilise the vehicle if it gets twitchy. As I said above it isn't designed to take into account a whopping great van hanging off its butt, which is out of its computer's parameters.

And I agree that computers and electronics are starting to replace driving skills. Some vehicles are fitted with a proximity warning sytem that slows the vehicle down if you get too close to another one.

At Changi airport in Singapore there is a train to transport passengers from one huge terminal to another.

It's driverless !!

That's where we are heading.
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GVM Upgrade for 200 Series that are already Registered has been approved for Queensland (a first step, first State)...
Subject: GVM UPGRADE ON QLD REGISTERED VEHICLES

Good morning

We are very pleased to announce that QLD Transport have issued us with type approval # TA030 to perform GVM upgrades on QLD registered vehicles.

This approval only applies to vehicles where we have previous DOTARS approval which is Toyota 200 SERIES 3580KG, Nissan GU LEAF 3700KG and 3900KG and Toyota 70 Series 3700KG.

Previously a QLD transport Authorized officer blue modification plate was required to be fitted, but this is no longer the case.

The procedure for placing your orders will be to order the relevant GVM UPGRADE part number with the prefix QLD to the part number i.e. QLD2003580. QLDGU3700 etc. (on an exclusive order please for filing purposes)
and submit the following details on your purchase order.
Registered owners name & address, phone number
Registration Number
Vin Number
Make model Year.

We will then issue the OME Authorized fitter a self voiding placard that must be affixed to the vehicle.

We will also complete a QT supplied form which will then be lodged with QLD transport and send a copy of this form to the registered owner of the vehicle, which they will require, so that they may submit a change of registration details form with QLD TRANSPORT.

The self voiding stickers will be ordered today and we should have them available in the next few weeks.

If you have any questions, please contact myself or Allan Sharpley.

Regards

GUY BASILE
ARB CORPORATION LTD
615 NUDGEE RD
NUNDAH. QLD 4012

PH: 07 32663255
FAX: 07 32663288
Yogi and Muffin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loki,

As regards VSC on the LC200. It can only be disengaged at a speed below 5oKm/h. At any higher speed it automatically turns itself back on (at least mine does) so unless you are towing below 50 Km/h you cannot disengage the VSC (damned computers).

As regards KDSS my understanding is that it only becomes active when low range is engaged and then it allows considerably greater wheel acticulation. In high range it keeps the vehicle flatter and allows less body roll than standard which would seem to be beneficial for towing to me.

Tony, in practice I am told by ARB that it does not work well when loaded up anyway. That is why my comment that I would not pay for it, or wait for it to be added onto a 200 Series. Mine does not have it, but I am told that upgraded suspension and loaded up, means that it's function is greatly reduced and compromised. I an told that in the opinion of those that work on them it is "not worth the effort"... If you already have it, work with it. If you don't from reports I would not spend extra or wait longer just to get it. Regards, Ranger

Regards,

Tony
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Latest memorandum from ARB regarding GVM increase technicalities State by State... Regards, Ranger

TO: ALL ARB STATE OFFICES & OME FITTERS
DATE: 25TH NOVEMBER 2008
SUBJECT: GVM UPGRADES FOR REGISTERED VEHICLES
There appears to be some uncertainty by sales staff as to wether an already registered vehicle can have its GVM upgraded using an approved OME GVM upgrade suspension kit.

The short answer is yes.
While a new vehicle GVM upgrade is granted as a blanket approval by a federal department and is based on manufacturer’s vehicle model, a registered vehicle however is done at a State level on vehicle by vehicle basis via approved engineers issuing an appropriate engineering certificate. It is here that we can make the State approval process easier for a customer by allowing approved engineers the use of our DoTaRS approval number as a basis by which they can issue their engineering certificate to have the vehicles’ GVM increased.

This arrangement is conditional upon the GVM increase being the same as our federal approval and the appropriate OME suspension system being installed by an OME licensed Fitter. Access to the ARB approval number considerably reduces the submission testing requirements and processing time for the engineer. Engineers seeking to use our approval numbers must contact me for written authorisation.

Queensland is an exception to this process because our proactive ARB state office has just been granted, in affect, a blanket state approval for all of ARB’s federal GVM upgrades. Attached to this approval are controls and compliance stipulations that have to be undertaken by our Queensland state office. The advantage for Queensland owners with this approval is it takes away the need for engineer’s certificates and the associated costs customers would normally incur.

Kind Regards
Syd Groves
Yogi and Muffin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can confirm Steve's post above. After some days of trying ARB in Bendigo have found the name of a VASS registered engineer who was involved in the R&D of the OME suspension system. After fitment I will have to take the vehicle to Melbourne for inspection so that he can confirm that it was fitted by ARB and the part numbers match the approved numbers. Cost for this will be $250. The certificate that he issues will then have to be taken to VicRoads so that they can update the change on their computer system. The original certificate stays with the vehicle and can be shown to any TRB inspector who may pull you over.

According to ARB they know of at least 2 cases where heavily optioned 200 series Sahara's have been pulled over and requested to have a weighbridge test. Apparently the problem with the GVM of, in particular, the Sahara is known to them.

So I now have the following Christmas presents ordered for my 200 series:

OME 400 Kg suspension upgrade
Deluxe bull bar - colour coded
Warn 9500 XR winch
UHF radio
IPF extreme driving lights.

Don't think there will be Christmas presents for anyone else though.
Hey, put the Missus Name on some of them!!! Leslie (misery and strife of 30 years) got the colour coded ARB deluxe bar shown above for her Birthday!! It is what SHE wanted anyway... Cool Cool Regards stg
Cut it out Steve - have enough trouble at this time of year with wedding anniversary, Christmas and birthdays (yes, plural) all within 9 days, so gifts for both of us have tended to be "practical" most of this time, just NOT stuff for our travels. Hope the 200 series looks less wimpy with its bullbar etc anyway. And yes, I also wanted these mods, so I will also be happy as Lesley is with hers. Just that ours is for 40 this year! Still waiting for the ultimate tow vehicle to run behind after that little problem in October! Regards J.
Regards,

Tony
Bow & Nan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you ar goinng to fit air bags make sure they are fitted before the GVM upgrade Very Happy

OME 400kg springs with air bags and 185l longranger Aux tank Very Happy

Mr & Mrs Bean

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:05 am    Post subject: KDDS or no KDDS Reply with quote

Hello 200 Series owners. We are about to purchase a 200 Series and have the ARB suspension upgrade and air bags installed. There eas some debate a few months ago as to whether the KDDS system was compatable with the upgrade. I was wondering what the experience of current owners has been. On the plus side, KDDS would appear to give some additional wheel reticulation off-road. On the negative side, it is an expensive add-on and something else to go wrong.
Also have current owners used the Toyota towing package or used an after market supplied package.
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian,
This is a very valid and relative question. I own a 200 Series myself, and from keeping up with 50 or so others, I believe the current majority judgement is "would not bother" and "not worth the expense"... If you have to pay for it ordered from new.

My advice is to call ARB and see what they say. My understanding is the air bags and suspension upgrade knocks the KDSS back to nearly not working. They would have the experience of hundreds and could give a reliable answer. Call the State Rep in Brisbane...

I just called North Coast 4x4 on your behalf, (the local ARB Dealer), and they said if you had to pay for it they would not bother as the suspension upgrade and airbags over-rides it for the most part. But check with the State level ARB... Regards, stg
The Hob

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian

The VX and Sahara have KDSS as standard and many of them have had suspension upgrades. I have not heard of anyone with such a problem.

Mine is a GLX with KDSS and the suspension has been modified. Over easter in the bush on muddy slippery roads I did not notice any problems. In fact it handled muddy hills etc better than the 100 series with us.

Without being an engineer I can see that stiffer suspension upgrades may remove some of the advantages? of KDSS but I do not see any great dissadvantge. I haven't seen any yet.

I turned the VSC off in the mud.

Alan
Troopytracker

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having not read this thread properly, I apologise if this has been covered before, BUT, don't forget about GCM.

Unless you also get the GCM uprated, any increase of your GVM, effectively reduces your 200's tow rating by the same amount as the GVM upgrade.

I've been through this BS before with a different vehicle.

Something to think about.

Matt

In general, we have not found GCM to be widely enforced on non commercial vehicles towing caravans. In fact, I have never had it enforced in 20 years of travel around Oz, as long as you are within your towing capacity of your vehicle. Now if you have a Big Rig, major large trailer or gooseneck, it could come into play, as then they enforce the truck license laws. But in general at least so far, I have not seen it enforced on family vehicles towing caravans as long as the Manufacturers Tow Capacity is not exceeded. But this is just my personal opinion and my personal observation... I have to be concious of it, with a big Duallly, and a massive gooseneck horse float, as that is up in the commercial range of Medium Rigid License and so yes: Then there are enforcement standards there...

On the road with the Ranger
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bow & Nan wrote:
200 Series problems

I have been driving Landcruisers since 1982 towing and off road.

I think the 200 Series is soft, only good for running up and down the highway and taking the kids to school, occasionally used in the bush. I don't think it is a suitable tug for long term outback touring.

Now I'll duck for cover.

Greg

You do not have to run for cover Greg, because I have heard this all from other sources as well... It has been two years now, with input from Owners, from an Insider at the Mines, an Insider in Toyota, this is my judgement on the 200 Series..

I do all the R&D on Tow Vehicles and have personally owned 11 different ones on the past ten years, and I currently DO own a 200 Series myself.. An Insider at Toyota, that I cannot identify for his security reasons, has confided in me that Toyota has said THIS IS NOT their Outback Vehicle. Toyota says it the Workmate Series four door and the Troopcarrier versions with the monobeam front end are their Outback vehicles now, and owning one I agree.

I own a 200 Series myself, and I am here to tell you that I love driving it, took it out to dinner last night, and my Wife drives it around, and it will never venture far into the Bush with us, and I will sell it a year before the Warranty expires. I would rather take my 100 Series that is the vehicle featured in the Category TIPS ON TOW VEHICLES
and the Topics are
REBIRTH/ SUPER-CRUISER, TOP MOST RELIABLE TOW VEHICLE PICS and another one my Son drives has a Topic
100 SERIES/ BEST S/HAND VALUE TOW VEHICLE READILY AVAILABLE These are both topics you should have a look at if you are still undecided. ....

I too will stand the wrath of 40 or 50 Owners that have the 200 Series, but let me tell you something more: One of you Owners that is silent for Security Reasons, and does huge kilometres as he commutes to various mines on Business in the mines. He is the best Diesel Engineer I know of by Trade and Training. Example of how good? Before the 200 Series he hand built a Cruiser, built and installed a custom new firewall in himself, to put the first back turbo 6.5 GM Diesel into a Sahara because he liked the Sahara and leather. This Guy is good, and did the whole job himself in his own Shop. Now here is the news: He is the only Person I know that bought all the Toyota Shop Manuals on the 200 Series for over $600. He says there are 30 interactive sensors and black boxes that are integrated to run that engine and that even Toyota computers cannot potentially identify the problems some times. The method is a series of replacements of sensors and controls to find a problem in stages: First replace this, then if that does not fix it, replace this, and so on. He claims that my judgement is quite correct, and this is an exotic city luxury car, lovely to drive but possibly is not the first choice for the Outback. A few people have been left walking...

Look, I would consider the four door "Workmate" I think they call it for myself, but I have never driven one. My comments are that personally I would rather a simpler vehicle for the Outback. I sit up and can be rebutted by the fact that my F-450 is in fact nearly as sophisticated except for two things:
1) I bought full IDS Integrated Diagnostics Systems (Ford) that plug into the OBD port. I also installed the complete Ford Diagnostics on a Laptop Computer that is behind the back seat of the F-450. Shocked Yea I know, extreme, but I can also help you Ford Owners..
2) I also have a Code Reader. And last but not least, the car front end of the Landcruiser is not the case on my F-450, it has the big truck solid mono-beam front axle system.

So you already own a 200 Series, what can you do about it? Well the minimum you 200 Series Owners should have are 2 things:

A "Code Reader" that will tell you what is wrong. That means that you can take advantage of the fact that MOST of the time it is just a sensor that can be cleaned, or wiring plug that can be cleans, and then the Code Reader will clear the Code and the engine will start. There is a Topic on this here in the Category. TIPS ON TOW VEHICLES...

2) An engine map showing the locations of ALL the sensors, so you can go to the appropriate place and possibly affect a fix with a clean of sensor or wiring, or at the very worst be able to call Toyota and have a new part Express Posted out...

That and get friendly with your Dealers Shop Foreman, and find out the most likely failures and possibly carry some spares. On my F-450, out of 85 trucks, other than belts and filters the only thing was one exhaust sensor so I carry one in the truck. I hear on the 200 Series that a few have been left walking with the accelerator black box on the pedal failing. If this is a common fault, you might carry one.

Look, I do not like the designs they have gone to, luxury car front end, overly complex electronics designed for Technicians only, starter motor embedded in the center of the engine, and so on. HOWEVER, I can fully appreciate and understand why people buy it, as it is a luxury vehicle and lovely to drive. My only reservation on the "Workmate" series, is there is none of the luxury appointments and manual only and I am spoiled by the Automatic.

I write this in good faith, I own one, and it is my job to tell you what I hear and these problems are real. If I was to mount an expedition to find Lassiters Lost Reef that someone thought they had a clue on, I would be going in the 100 Series because it is not electronic and the Outback is littered with spares, and I can easily fix anything that might go wrong...

In good faith, and "In Your Best Interests"
lone Ranger

Last edited by Bushtracker on Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Windrider

State:: Qld
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bow, Nan and Steve,

As Steve said "No need to run for cover". If there are genuine faults or problems with the 200 series or indeed any Toyota - they need to be brought to light, so that all owners are aware and thus forewarned.

However that being said - Thus far I have personally not experienced any problems with my 200 - and hopfully never will.

FYI Heres a great forum for all toyota owners that is a mine of information http://www.lcool.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9&start=0&sid=3973d33599bdabb08cf4a8a8123a9751

Regards
John
surfy53

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good forum.....I have just read through the whole 17 pages and after two years not much has changed with the persistant "clunk" in the tail shaft.

Not fixed yet and there is the question of oil usage as well.....might need to change oil brands.

Chris.
The Hob

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just over 51K on my 200 series with most of it towing either a BT or camper trailer.

I have never had the tailshaft clunk, it uses a oil at about 1 litre /5000km which is acceptable and is a delight to drive and tow with.

I have had none of the "problems" often associated with the 200 series.

I hope to continue to have trouble free motoring and I am soon off to the centre (Plenty Hwy, Nathan river, and the gulf) with utmost confidence in my vehicle travelling with another 200 series plus a 70 series trayback.

Alan
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again,

Of about 60 Owners travelling with the 200 Series, there are only about 5 or 6 that are having problems. It is my job to report these problems so you are aware of the weaknesses of this particular Toyota design and my concerns. Overall, I would estimate about 90% of the Bushtracker Owners that have the 200 Series are pleased. Only possibly 5% are having the problems but still happy with the 200 Series, and only maybe another 5% are not happy and would not have it again. This is not too bad for such a luxury vehicle, and I love driving my own.

For the mainstream Bushtracker tow vehicle, the Landcruiser 200 Series holds first place for most pleased, most common tow vehicle for the mainstream size of 19' to 21' Bushtracker Caravans.

Here is another one that left today, possibly one of the most well equipped 200 Series to come in, with all the bells and whistles and looks really good:

They obviously have a GVM increase and suspension upgrade to set that high and that loaded.... Wink

Now I own a 200 Series. If it were me towing with Toyota and going into the Outback, I would have to go drive and seriously consider the "Workmate" (four door smaller Troopie looking one). Mind you, I am partial to the automatic, but that is because of my city use of the vehicle... I could live with the manual travelling the Outback, and the monobeam front diff is a superior front end.. Toyota themselves say it is their "Outback Vehicle" now.. Look, I own a 200 Series, but if staying with Toyota for years out Bush in retirement mode, I would go drive the Workmate to see if I could live with it. It has to be more robust, less electronics, and the manual transmission is certainly more reliable and repairable out Bush...

But that is just me. Most Bushtracker Owners want the luxury of the 200 Series, and I do not blame them. I love driving mine. But for all the reasons I highlight, if I were going Toyota, I like a manual key type vehicle and though I have never driven one, I would consider the Workmate. There is a Topic on it here in this Category.

In saying my own opinion on this, I fully acknowledge that the 200 Series is the top most popular Bushtracker Tow Vehicle and for very good reasons. They are powerful and a comfortable luxury vehicle and right now reign supreme.

On the road with the Ranger...
Astonv8v

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:21 pm    Post subject: Toyota VX Diesel - Towing setup Reply with quote

Today we finally collected our Landcruiser after waiting 5 months for it to arrive! This is our first step to our semi-retirement dream of buying a Bushtracker and getting away.
I decided not to get any extras as this reduced the luxury car tax I had to pay and I wasn't sure that "genuine Toyota" accessories where necessarily the best value for money.

The first thing I need to get is a tow bar. Would the general advice be to go with a Genuine Toyota tow bar or to purchase another make eg Hayman Reese?
Also what plug options do I ask for in the setup to accomodate a Bushtracker? Any advice would be appreciated, Richard
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard,

Remove (I forget how to pry it off, look underneath) anyway, the plastic square in the center of the bumper, about the size of a License plate.... This should uncover the built in tow bar. I do not think you have any choice in the matter, it is even manufactured in place and not removable... Another thing I don't like about my 200 Series. It is the most luxurious choice, but I do not care for a few bits on it and this is one of them..

However, it is a nice luxury feel driving... Cheers, stg
Astonv8v

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Stg,

Shows how little I know about my new vehicle. I didn't even know it had a tow bar already installed! Successfully removed protective cover.

I need to have the trailer socket intalled.

To accomodate a Bushtracker do I ask for a flat 12 pin socket?

Also, as I regularly tow a boat and trailer with round 7 pin setups, should I have an additional 7 pin socket intalled rather than have to use an adapter?

Thanks for your advice,

Richard
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Richard,
Look, we do not want to clog up the Forum with personal details and particulars or it would get totally out of hand.

I will answer this one, but in general please refer personal Bushtracker planning details to sales@bushtracker.com, OK?

We use a very large Utilux 7 Pin large round, for the larger contacts and wire sizes it takes. The 12 Pin is an option to combine video camera for backing up, and additional charging circuits and so on. It depends on you, it is all the same price, and if you are thinking back up camera then yes get the tow vehicle wired for it. We are happy to Coach you, just not here on the Forum, as we are working with 25 Owners at a time and it would be a mess to wade through here.

In general my advice is ALWAYS get the Bushtracker in process before finishing out the tow vehicle. Why? The Bushtracker will affect some of your planning like the 12 pin for instance. The 200 Series is OK, but for most, I would get the Bushtracker Order going first, because that determines even the tow vehicle choice for towing capacity. OK with all this?

There are too many sad stories of wrong tow vehicles or equipping them wrong, for the Bushtracker they end up designing.. In general, design the size of the wagon, then choose the team of horses and rig to pull it. Idea

Thank you, Steven Gibbs, Director.

lone Ranger, is at the NRHA Nationals in Tamworth, my two Daughters and three horses competing. Wink Crazy bugger, and it is COLD down here..

Last edited by Bushtracker on Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> Tips on TOW VEHICLES All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: