DIESEL STORAGE LONG TERM IN TOW VEHICLES....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> Tips on TOW VEHICLES
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bushtracker
Site Admin

State:: Queensland
Current Bushtracker owner:: Yes
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: DIESEL STORAGE LONG TERM IN TOW VEHICLES.... Reply with quote

Algae and Fungus in New Type Diesel, da Ranger Stuffed Up…
Da Ranger blew it! SHOCK HORROR, say it isn’t so!!!

Yep, had such a good time driving around the F-250 of late, that the Mack 4X4 Horse Truck has been left sitting for a month… Now I thought this new diesel was a bit closer to kerosene, with the same lighter look and such and would not be as prone to algae and fungus growth… WRONG!!! I have a good growth of olive drab seaweed growing, and plugged up filters to leave me stranded beside the road.

Always happens when you are in a hurry. Anyway, bailed myself out with the spare filters I carry. But for the rest of you, beware, the new diesel grows gunk just as well. Per a previous TIP, carry your spare fuel filters. Now interestingly it appears to have only grown primarily in the fuel delivery line from the water separator and up.. Tanks appear to be OK… And also, the full tank stores much much better than the half full tank… What messes up the diesel is moisture condensing on the wall of the tank, dripping down to collect on the bottom. Left to long H2O becomes H2SO4 (weak sulfuric acid as the water absorbs sulfur out of the diesel laying on the bottom of the tank)…

This new diesel seemed a bit closer to kerosene, I know it is not, but I assumed it was more resistant... NO, WRONG... For any of you that don't know it, kerosene is a pretty good disinfectant in a pinch, and nothing will grow in it, but this is not the case with the new refined light diesel... Duh...! I let my guard down with disastrous results... It plugged up screened priming pump filter, main filters, and de-watering filter, a three hour mess to sort out alongside the road... Trying one thing and another.

If you are going to store it, treat the diesel, pour in a measured amount just as you are going to pump in the diesel to get a good mix… Save yourself a lot of grief. Mine just went bad in about a month of sitting, but we have had a lot of bad weather, high humidity, high temperatures, that were no doubt able to speed the process. However, this was SHOCK to me, and a big wake up call to all Boggers… Not turning over the diesel? Gonna go fly off somewhere and store it for a while? Better Treat it…

And carry your spares, the tow job is expensive and could leave the Bushtracker beside the road..

Kind Regards from da Ranger, yea……… duh!
ChirsWA

State:: WA
Current Bushtracker owner:: No
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:10 am    Post subject: yep Reply with quote

when we had the farm in southern cross WA and you needed to park up the Tractors after seeding we stored them always with tanks Full .
and go read this http://www.sailingwithattitude.com.au/consulting/afloat-pdf/afl08-bacteria-diesel.pdf just copy and past it. its damn good imfo

Chris
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Chris,

After learning that the new diesel grows fungus and algae just as good as the new diesel, as the old diesel per that experience above, I now am back to my old religion... Laughing Laughing Treat ALL diesel, when not using the vehicle regularly...

The Diesel has gone from the old Number 1 and Number 2 heavy and light diesels to LSD and now ULSD Ultra Low Sulpher Diesel. ULSD is down to only 15 parts per million sulpher, and that is why the light colour. Our diesel here from BP is now even lower than the world standard and is only 10 ppm. This is why I did not do my regular precautions and thought it was more immune to fungus and algae .... Wrong! Shocked Laughing I have talked with two different Technicians at the BP Refineries about the lack of lubrication is ULSD thinking I might need to add a litre of two stroke oil into a tank of diesel, but both have reassured me they add a "Lubricosity" agent in the ULSD to overcome this. I wonder though if it is not a good idea anyway, as I own a couple of exotic diesels, in the Mack and the F-350, but so far so good....

I used to use Bio-Bor (can't remember the spelling, but close) in all the tanks of yachts in years gone by, much of the yachting fleet and commercial boats ran it all over the world... But I have not seen it recently. I the past couple of years I am running "Afloc" and it has worked well. Afloc Diesel treatment, double strength if you have a problem, otherwise the normal dose, and it is fairly inexpensive as far as that type goes... I understand most of the local fleets use it.

In addition to back to precautions and treating all diesel, good thing now as my horsetruck has seen very little use since the Equine Influenza grounded all out horse activities... In addition to treating the diesel, I have put in a pre-filter filter. This one is fairly large, and the main feature is that it is also a water separator, with a glance at the exposed bowl you can see if you have any condensation or other water in the system, but also it is a 1 litre sized pre-filter that will trap any algae and fungus. The stock filters in my Mack 4x4 Dual Cab, are VERY expensive, and this is a Fleet Service inexpensive filter, spin on, and I now carry a half dozen. The mount is bolt on, spin on filter, spin on bowl attachment and it looks like this:

It would be a good idea for just about any new vehicle where the fuel filtration system can be saved by an inexpensive pre-filter... If it would fit I would suggest it for new LC 200 TT, as its fuel system is reported to be sensitive..

Regards to all, stg

Last edited by Bushtracker on Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
ChirsWA

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: fuel Reply with quote

yes pre filters are grate there is a short twin pre filter out there on the market for them that don't have the room for the long one . also if your rig is new make sure its got a drain bung in the bottom of the tank . You wont belive how much water can build up in them . Spend i think the twin is agound 80$ or so New the filters about 13$ . Dont loose the spring when changing them lol i did. i droped it in the dark and do you think i could find the damn thing. Keep your fuel clean and always chang your oils when due and a Diesil will go forever. Smile
Bob and chris Nelson

State:: N.S.W.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:47 am    Post subject: Fuel Filters Reply with quote

I read with great interest the article on diesel fuel filters.I have a 100 series L.C. Would the Pre filter be best placed just before the main filter.Does it cause any problems with the main filter.Thanks for another GREAT tip.I have been lucky so far with fuel.125,000klms in the L.C.towing our Bushtracker ( done 90,000klms ) throughout Australia.I wish our tow vehicles were as tough as our BT.Keep up the great work,a wonderful forum,Bob
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the kind words Bob, it inspires me to carry on scouting the trail ahead...

Now on the water separator prefilter, the engine does not know you have added it. It is only a plus plus, win-win... If anything, it will extend the life of your engine filters by taking out the gunkier stuff....

The one I show, is Fleet Guard, FS means Fleet Service... This one is big, but I think you can get a smaller half sized one that threads onto the same base mount. You buy the base mount bolt on part, filter, and the bowl separately from a truck supply outfit... Mine are installed between the fuel tank and the first engine filters, in line. I cannot see any difficulty beyond the size and location of where to put it, except so that you can see the bowl to check for water.

I have put them on diesels in at least a dozen major yachts, and my old F-350 got a Par marine water separator with T handle top and drop in filter cartridge. This new on is just easy, big, and spin on. I cannot see a problem with it. Wink

Other than what can happen if you get bad diesel and don't have one Shocked Laughing

Regards, lone Ranger out on the trail.........
Bob and chris Nelson

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject: Fuel Filters Reply with quote

Thanks Lone Ranger I am on the trail looking for a prefilter.Thanks for taking the time to respond so quickly,Bob
ChirsWA

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:19 pm    Post subject: pre filter Reply with quote

1 more thing as soon as you crack the fuel line your gona get air in it . Now im not sure what truck your got but if its a toyata open the top bleed screw on top of the filter that is just after the hand pump dont open it to fare and hand pump the fuel up to there to get the air out. Now if you have opened it to fare you will then need to crack the screw on the injector pump and hand pump it to there . i try to have it so its full when i put the prefilter on. anyway its not to hard most ppl can do it. and its well worth the outcome good luck .
ChirsWA

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:10 am    Post subject: how to add lub to your diesil easy Reply with quote

Here is what i have done . Go to the shop that fits the gas to town cars. thay have this 1 leter ventury bottle setup Works realy well and use the fuel lube thay sell in it . OK NOw Mount the bottle and holder under the bonet mine is about the same hight as the air intake . Here comes the tricky Part take off the air filter and the intake . Now get a small bolt and a Drill . Drill a hole through the bolt long ways, Then Drill a hole ( thred its very soft aloy so threding is easy )you can thred place the bolt in the intake secure with locktight and 2 nuts then attach the vacum pipe Bolt it back to yout intake manafold . then replace are filter and snokel ect . now start it up . and open the venturi on the oil bottle . you will see it start to drip . ONE DROP gos a long way. mine drips about 1 every 10 seconds . By using this in your truck / 4x4 your making sure no matter what thay sell you at the pump Your Geting lube. Cost very little . Fitting Not hard. engin life extending? work that out for yourself my 4x4 has now done 400 thou and when i fitted new injectors the compresion was like new . . DO YOU NEED IT ??? with Bio fuels and other shit there adding to your tank for me i say YES . If you want me to do a picture and diagram email me i send to you.
O BTW been living in the Kimberly working and over seeing station since i was 14 im 47 now . Can you fix it, yes you can Razz
sorry for typos cant spell.
Chris

Last edited by ChirsWA on Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Bob and chris Nelson

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:52 am    Post subject: Fuel Filters Reply with quote

Thanks Chris
Bob
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Friends, just to revisit an idea for you... Water in the diesel is a HUGE problem for many vehicles, and from an insider at Toyota, it is critical for that particular 200 Series V-8 engine.. He actually claimed it could be a $7000 repair not covered under warranty. Shocked

We just had a Silverado go down, luckily they were close in Gympie, and it was fixed up..

I am really into a pre-filtering FUEL/ WATER SEPARATOR system.. Here is the one on my Mack I added, bowl has a drain, good at a glance, spin on filter, spin on bowl, easy to service:

Now I suggest this is a good idea to add to ANY Outback tow vehicle, where Service is a long ways away. This is what I have added to my Ford F-350 King Ranch...

If it is questionable fuel, I can pump into the tank first, and look at this filter bowl as I pump out into the long range tank on the Effie... It is right there to look at as I pump, and I have pumped into the big tank at a station, at the same time I was pumping OUT into my truck...

Now this is a bit extreme for most of you, but I am also fueling tractors and mowers on a horse property, and I could fuel other vehicles on a trip if need be.

There are small ones available, like Racor or Dahl that have a T bar top, and small cannister filter to drop in. They are only about the size of a tow fists or a grapefruit, and they have a bowl and drain at the bottom. Here is a MONSTER one, the bottom bowl holds a litre of water, the filter is about 250mm long x 150 wide this is a MONSTER, with a pump on the back. But I am going to use this for cleaning bulk diesel in storage, algae, fungus, or water in it. I will let it run at about 20 litres a minute out from one end and back in the other... Laughing

I am only showing you this, because the little ones are about the same sort of shape, Dahl or Racor, and you can order them from Western Filters in Sydney. www.westernfilters.com.au

The little ones you can put on to pre-filter your diesel are down to a small manageable size, de watering filters, fuel water separators, and I think they are a good idea. They will also save your vehicle filters, for a much longer service life... Just a thought from the lone Ranger.

Always pushing the envelope, 24/7, it has become a way of Life... Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> Tips on TOW VEHICLES All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: