FUEL SAVINGS- SUCKING IN THE VACUUM BEHIND BIG TRUCKS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> Tips on SAFETY WHEN TOWING
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bushtracker
Site Admin

State:: Queensland
Current Bushtracker owner:: Yes
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:19 am    Post subject: FUEL SAVINGS- SUCKING IN THE VACUUM BEHIND BIG TRUCKS Reply with quote

Boy oh Boy, if there are any "Gotcha" types out there that want to "Get Over" on the lone Ranger, they are going to jump on this like a "Bilby on a Beetle" Laughing Laughing Laughing

So ya thought the lone Ranger was going to talk up the fuel savings of tucking in behind a Big Rig in the wind break vacuum affect???? Three things, NO and NO, and if you still think maybe NO.... Don't do it. Shocked Exclamation

Besides the obvious safety issues of HUGE DANGER, it is not worth it for a few other reasons you might not know of and they have happened to us:

1) In about 1989 I had a nice rig, and was following a Beavertail Lowboy trailer with a backhoe tractor on the back... It was not that I was really following him, more like I had just not gotten around to passing him yet..
Anyway, I saw it drop off the truck on a bounce, the rut in the road flung out a bolt about as big as your thumb, and in a split second it hit the road and bounced HIGH.. I could not get out of the way and it cracked up my windscreen. I was following too close, daydreaming, and paid for it. Things do fall out of trucks, tyres peel off, bolts fall off and out. Don't follow too closely..

2) Young Matthew, my Brilliant Techno Computer Whiz and Business Administration Whiz Office Manager just did this mistake. He was towing a 17' full of new innovations (which I cannot disclose yet) on an Outback Trip for the new DVD, and he tucked in and found it to be true that in the vacuum behind the Big Rigs he was getting better fuel economy... OK, it is true. Well, lesson learned, it was not worth it for him either, and not for the safety issues. His transmission in the Discovery 3 overheated. The first time he was puzzled and thought it was because of a long grade. The second time it dawned on him, that in the wind break come vaccuum behind the Big Rigs, he was not getting enough cooling air through the system. Twisted Evil

Lesson learned, and now he needs to change out the oil and get it serviced. It quit overheating as soon as he quit following the trucks so close. Any fuel savings will not pay half the cost of servicing the transmission and changing the oil in it...

Anyway, learn from these mistakes, forget following too close to trucks trying to save fuel.. It is not worth the risks OK?

Kind Regards to all from the lone Ranger
Semper Fidelis
Mobi Condo

State:: South Australia
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes!
Having been a keen cyclist in my youth AND being aware of the frailty of my cycles brakes compared to those of large vehicles AND the power of the big SUCK in for me should they stop suddenly I kept clear of that trick, but some friends found out the hard way!
Any ways - we have had probably 5 to 6 occasions now towing the BT along at 80 or so and notice the little sportster sitting close behind the BT for mile after mile after mile using up our fuel! So we kind of slow down quite abit and then pull off to get rid of them.
Funny one was west of Rankins Springs last Dec after torrential rain with flooded highway and flood debris to dodge along the road. We straddled one sizable branch , off cours the BT did as well and the little coupe sitting just metres behind the BT had to do some real fancy work to dodge what we straddled and which came out at "him" without notice. "he" backed quite a long ways after that!
Cheers - Ian & Sally
Terrain to Travel
Lamb Chop

State:: ACT
Current Bushtracker owner:: No
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:00 pm    Post subject: SUCKED IN Reply with quote

My first msg on this site.

While not yet a BT owner (still own a 20' Roma), I have often been dragged in towards the side of large truck rigs. Physics 101 - the air has to go some where!! Now when I see a big rig in the mirror, I lean my rig out a little to compensate.

As a kid on a push bike back then.... I got into the slip stream of my brother-in-laws car. Later he claimed I reached 30 MPH. Back then.... the Morris Minro was in vogue Smile
Grumblebum and the Dragon

State:: Qld/NSW
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More betterer.... get off the trucking highways and onto the byways and back tracks. The only occassional truck out there is a cattle hauler and you give them a wide berth... and make sure the windows are up when passing - either way - lest you cop a load of $h!T or more liquid stuff.

I usually give then a call and advise them to 'stay up' on harder stuff as we pull over..... save a lot of windscreens that way and is always appreciated by the truckie.

John

Grumpy? Whose's grumpy - not the Dragon!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> Tips on SAFETY WHEN TOWING All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: