NEW DISCOVERY 3 & 4, AND RANGE ROVER, REPORTS IN ACTION
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> Tips on TOW VEHICLES
View previous topic :: View next topic  
redjcw

State:: VIC
Current Bushtracker owner:: No
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: WDH and LR 4 suspension Reply with quote

bobrovin wrote:
redjcw wrote:

So just to clarify.....if you lift the feet then wouldn't the car still not be level? If the front goes down to balance with the back moves up to get level then isn't there a transfer of weight? Sorry to be a bit thick on this....

Lifting or lowering either end does not change the weight at that end otherwise you could raise both ends and make the whole car lighter. Pumping up the air bags is the same as putting in stronger springs, the stronger the spring the less drop for the SAME weight. The only way you can move the weight from back wheels to front wheels without WDH is to move the centre of gravity of the car.

So why does the front of the car go down then if no weight is being added to the front ?
safi1

State:: Tasmania
Current Bushtracker owner:: Yes
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I may as well add my sixpence to this discussion.

I towed a Bushtracker for 2 years with a Range Rover Sport 2.7L TD which has the air suspension. It was a most fantastic vehicle for towing. We went everywhere we wanted including some pretty rough offroading and even drove to Chambers Pillar as an example following a couple of days at Old Andado.

On the sealed roads, had no problem keeping up with the traffic and even overtaking on occasion. The fuel compsumption which ranged from 13.5L per 100K to 18.5L per 100K was the envy of most others.

Yes, everytime I connected the van, the rear would rise to the driving level and you could also see the front fall correspondingly. I do not wish to enter into a debate over engineering as I am not an automotive engineer. However, anytime I had to brake suddenly/urgently everything worked readily as it should with no slippage in the front end.

My only complaint is that service and parts are few and far between and I couldn't even get a wheel alignment in Barcaldine at the RACQ Trye Dealer. Having said that, we never had any problems with the car.

I must confess that 12 months ago I purchased a LC 200 series VX TD after being offered a good trade deal. It is a bigger vehicle, has only slightly more power than the 3.0L Range Rover/Discovery (650nm compared to 600nm), is comparable with comfort (my wife disagrees) but has terrible braking compared to the Range Rover/Discovery. I purchased this vehicle as we intend to order another Bushtracker later this year and wish to travel to more remote places. Availability of servicing and parts is a big consideration for us in our advancing years.

Gordon
Loki of Condor

State:: WA
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in case any youngsters reading this forum don't know what Gordon is talking about....

bobrovin

State:: NSW
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: WDH and LR 4 suspension Reply with quote

redjcw wrote:

So why does the front of the car go down then if no weight is being added to the front ?

For the same way that the rear goes up ie increased pressure in rear suspension holding the SAME weight higher
The system reduces the pressure in the front suspension allowing the SAME weight to sit lower
gdickie

State:: NSW
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gordon and Bob
We have now done a lot more travel in our Range Rover Sport TD V8 and I agree with Bob, the air suspension (AS) does not redistribute weight as per a WDH. Having said that I find the AS has great benefit in keeping the vehicle level at all times. That is, there is no sag at the rear as with normal suspension and it maintains a normal ride height whether towing or not. This I feel keeps the whole rig well balanced. I also agree with you Gordon that they are great tow vehicles and I too have never had a bad experience when braking heavilly. Probably because they are so heavy to start with! Just about to head off to Cape York, so a further test for man and beast.
Sorry to hear you sold the Rangie Gordon, I also looked at a Sahara before buying my second RRS, but I didnt like the braking and steering, also it was much too big for the two of us.

Regards
Graham
Kaznjez

Current Bushtracker owner:: Ordered
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all, thought I would try and put some figures in this weight distribution discussion and as I have a discovery 4 with AS have worked out the following weights. As Bob has pointed out AS will not re-distribute the weight but by way of air pressure adjustments changes the air springs force to bright the vehicle back to its correct ride height.

Disco 4 maximum axle weights,
Front 1450Kgs
Rear 1855Kgs
Wheel base 2885mm
Distance from tow ball centre to rear axle centre 1250mm

If my maths is correct, take wheel base of 2885 divided by tow ball to axle distance of 1250 gives you a ratio of 2.308, divide max of 350Kgs on tow ball would equal 151Kgs that be removed from the front axle and transferred to the rear axle. If all was in a perfect world this is 10.41% of the max load for the front.

Other things to consider many of us accessorize the front of our 4WDs with a bull bar that generally weigh upwards of 50Kgs, take wheel base of 2885 divided by approx. centre of bull bar 700mm gives a ration of 4.12, divide bull bar weigh of 50Kgs would equal 12.1Kgs would be removed from the rear axle added to the original 50Kgs puts 62Kgs, back onto the front axle. 151Kgs removed from the front axle by the tow ball load minus the 62Kgs, added by the bull bar equals 89Kgs is removed from the front axle equating to 6.13% of max front axle load.

Now all this is assuming that the vehicle had its exact max axle loads which is not going to be the case in reality and then you have to take the exact same calculations and apply them to the internal luggage load, occupants, dual rear wheel carriers, etc.
away

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G'day

I've been a lurker on this forum for a while now and always take interest in any threads to do with Land Rover Discovery vehicles. I own a disco 3 and have worked at a Land Rover dealership, so I know a little bit about them. I thought that I would use my first post to this forum to comment on the issue of weight transfer when a van is hitched to a Disco 3 or 4.

One thing that has been mentioned in this thread is the weight that is shifted from the steerers when a van hitched to a Disco. Yes, this is true. The thing to remember is that provided that weight on the rear axles does not exceed the manufacturer's specified maximum of just over 1800 Kg, then this weight transfer is expected and within the design spec of the vehicle. It would be no different to filling the cargo bay with heavy things such as a car fridge full of grog, suitcases, tools and so on.

Weight is weight. It matters not what form it is in, provided that the rear axle weight is not exceeded. The car has been designed by much more clever people that you or I, to be able to cope with such a load.

I tow a 3.5 Tonne van (was actually 4 tonne for a while there, until I put 'er over a weighbridge and found out) and not once have I had a scary moment. Yes, the steering does feel marginally lighter, but always feels positive. I have not noticed any effect on braking, aside from the fact that I'm trying to stop a combined mass of about 6.5 tonnes.

I am so impressed with the vehicle's capabilities that I have ordered a Disco 4.

Cheers

Russ
Kaznjez

Current Bushtracker owner:: Ordered
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Russ,
do you mind me asking what engine does your Disco 3 run and what sort of fuel consumption you have been getting?
away

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jeremy

I have the 2.7 L V6 diesel. Typical fuel economy is 17L/100 when towing. Worst ever was 20.2 and best ever was 14.9 (for a tank-full of fuel.)

Cheers

Russ
Munners

State:: Qld
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If caravan manufacturers (including Bushtracker) are moving to offering air suspension due to comfort, stability and alround better towing - then doesn't that tell us that air suspension on the tow vehicle is also a plus?
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> Tips on TOW VEHICLES All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: