IN PLANNING STAGE? HEIGHT AND LENGTH VARIABLES:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> What SIZE OR TYPE OF BUSHTRACKER?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bushtracker
Site Admin

State:: Queensland
Current Bushtracker owner:: Yes
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:51 am    Post subject: IN PLANNING STAGE? HEIGHT AND LENGTH VARIABLES: Reply with quote

Hello new Bushtracker Owners,

I get email at Bushtracker probably once a fortnight, from people that have done their homework, and have seen how the others are van are built, and they tell me that without a doubt they are buying a Bushtracker.. They contact me, and let me know that it is a few years out but they are preparing for it now and want to build a carport, or garage, or shed, or something to house their Bushtracker van. So here on the Forum are the answers for sizes:

On height: The standard is 2.7 to top of wall, and in the centre allow 100mm for a Four Seasons hatch and 200mm more for air-conditioning... So 300 mm on top, with all satellite dishes and TV antennaes folding down below that. However, we offer variations to that if needed with internal air in a split system, and a 100mm Drop Suspension... I would not do either as there are some disadvantages with lost storage space and reduced ground clearance, but the point is that can build to different heights... For full ground clearance and roof top air, I would allow just over 3 M, say a minimum of 3.1 M But that is with a straight flat approach, if you are going up or down a steep angle that must be increased with the Geometry of the angle. If that is the case, do some drawings and figure the angles...

On length, it varies with what you want like extended a-frame or not and size... But here are some lengths.. 16' overall about 6.7 Metres, 18' at 7.3 Metres, 19' at 7.6 Metres, and 20' at 7.9 Metres and so on... Add on the 300mm or 500mm of extended a-frame if required for cargo like jerry can holders or folding boat trailer and so on..... If you are building, allow more to walk around the back and front and obviously for clearance backing in....

And width as I said, usually out to the 2.4 or 2.5 Metres for most, for the best layout options...

Regards, from Bushtracker

Last edited by Bushtracker on Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a new AC Unit out, the review and specs are in the Owners Section. Those of you that Order have months to review the pros and cons of this new airconditioning unit...

It is more efficient and powerful, but it is a ridiculous height and is 150mm taller than our normal air unit. It looks like a Mini Morris up there... Laughing Laughing In fact if looks ridiculous on vans under 20-21', even then it is a liability for overall clearances.

However, if you want a large van, 20-21' and up, and you are planning a new shed to accommodate it, then you may want to visit the Topic in the Owners Section to have a read.

Our normal AC unit, now out now just over two years, is a vast improvement on the older unit. In the past two years the failure rate is less than 1%. I am going to build a super luxury van in 23' for myself, and would rather put on two of these, one fore and aft of the center hatch, than put on the big oversized one. While it will require an independent power inlet, this gives me even more AC, and a backup redundancy plan...

However, if the one big unit is in your plans, see the one on Matthews Family van on the last Video, and if you like it allow 150mm extra. Matthew would not do it again, for clearance reasons, but it is an option...

Kind regards, Ranger, runnin hard and fast trying to look afta ya!!!

Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, latest update on this for October 2013...

Playing around shutting down the Entertainment system all at once with the circuit breaker, I had the AC on the same one and with it of and off too many times in quick succession and I managed to burn out the electrical control board on my B-3000 + AC unit... Rolling Eyes Now granted, my van is 23', but running on the single AC unit was at it's absolute limit in this last hot spell. It hit about 34-35C and in for a nap in the heat of the day, and it was sort of 25-26 in that heat. It was enough for the nap, but it brought me around to thinking that in my next van I am going for two of the Air Command Cormorants.

Now the why, is for redundancy. If I am going to have two air units in case one fails, I want the remaining one to be powerful enough for the job. The Dometic B-3000+ has been a really great unit and extremely robust, but the Air Command is about 15% more powerful. In case I am in really hot weather, as I cannot sleep in over about 26-28C, I want the two units in case one were to fail in Woop-Woop in a hot spell.

The Dometic B-3000+ is the ONLY low profile unit that is Warranted "Off-Road". There is no other, so it will remain our standard. We are recommending that the Air Command Cormorant be used from 20' and up, unless you are extremely concerned about overhead clearance for storage or travel. If you have only allowed overhead clearance in your shed for instance to suit the Dometic, so be it. Or if you are not going north in the summer, so be it. But IF you are going north in the summer and clearance is not an issue in the forestry or for storage, then I suggest that the Air Command Cormorant is the answer and our recommendation from 20'.It has proven robust, and about 15% more capable, but at a cost of 150mm.

For those in planning on a shed or something for a 20' and up sized Bushtracker, if you are going north in summer, allow about 3.2 Metres clearance on a flat entry, to accommodate this larger air unit. It will be on all of our Optional Equipment Worksheets from this date.

Kind regards, Cowboy

Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you ask about heights, to build a shed for a future Bushtracker, and ask me for this figure when you have not been here for Tour... I am at a disadvantage... I would almost suggest a trip here is best, to see what size of van you want, because there is a huge variable on the air conditioning units on top.. Here is the dilemma:

Our wall height to the corner is 2.7 M with the full clearance suspension. That is the best version of the suspension for Off-road, and the normal air conditioning would take it up to 3.0 M in the center (about 2.95 M). So about 3.1 would be good enough for clearance with a flat entry. However, if you wanted a larger van, and were going to spend summers up north in the heat, there is a better air unit that has the only disadvantage of being 150mm taller. This is a problem for overall height, in calculations.

Without you coming here, I have to guess, and I would say, 20' and down, if you were not going to spend the summers up in the far north, the 3.0M height is a good figure.. But allow about 3.2 for clearance over the AC unit on a larger van like 21’ and over, to accommodate that larger unit. I mean the silly thing looks like a Morris Minor parked up there, but it does work about 15% better in the hot weather… I myself opted for two of the smaller units on a large 23' Bushtracker, but that adds about $2500 to the cost of the van. It is that grey area from about 20' to 21' where you could really use the larger unit, and hence the taller clearances required..

I am updating this, to hopefully help more of you that are still in preparation. It may just be the clearance of the roller door that you need to consider, and if so, use the higher figure so you have the option.

Kind regards, Steven Gibbs, Director, Bushtracker..
Your Mate at the Hub of the wagon wheel of all information... Wink Idea
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> What SIZE OR TYPE OF BUSHTRACKER? All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: