pre fuel filter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> GENERAL DISCUSSION
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maza

State:: Victoria
Current Bushtracker owner:: No
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:38 pm    Post subject: pre fuel filter Reply with quote

Hi. Am new to 4x4 driving. Did a course last year but it did not cover this issue. I have a 2014 Nissan Navara 2.5ltr str. I plan to travel off road soon. Can anyone advise me on a pre fuel filter? Should I get one? I know how to deal with my factory filter should there be a problem, but would a pre filter make life a bit easier? I've spoken to so many people about this....including guys who've been outback many times. It seems a lot of people don't think a pre filter is necessary. Any thoughts?
GoSeeAus

State:: VIC
Current Bushtracker owner:: Yes
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

89 Loudoun Road,
Dalby QLD 4405
Phone: 07 4669 0690

Try Diesel Care on the above phone number or "Google" them, they have ready made kits and brackets for your model.
Personally I would not fuel up in some of the small outback fuel stations without one.
We have the kit that goes after the factory filter as the factory one has all the sensors in it and we use the Diesel Care one as a back up filter.
Hope this helps your decision.

Regards
John
Bushtracker
Site Admin

State:: Queensland
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Maza,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM, POST NUMBER ONE!!!

Road Ranger here, forty year of this.. Now look, this is almost a thing of the past, I mean 20 years ago, 30 years ago, bad diesel was a common thing.. Now? You could get away with carrying a few extra stock vehicle filters with you...

In saying that, if you are REALLY GONG BUSH... And if the Nissan filers are expensive, a pre-filter makes sense. Get a marine style one with the clear globe at the bottom to look for water in the system, a proper water separator type truck filter will do nicely. If your Nissan filters are expensive, this pre-filter could even pay for itself. There are many different types, but the standard truck supply Shop, "Fleet Guard" truck filter will do nicely and is quite inexpensive... Put it in line, IN FRONT of the line feeding your Nissan filter...
It will CERTAINLY not hurt you, and in the right conditions in the real Outback, it could save you...

Kind regards, and again welcome to the Forum... The REAL THING, for the Outback.. Courtesy of the lone Ranger, Inventor, Mad Scientist, half a Horseman... Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Kind regards. stg
Rick & Kerrie

State:: NSW
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have the FM100 filter kit from Diesel Care, it is complete kit with all fittings required ours is on a 200 series, very simple to fit.

I have fitted it before the factory filter, it is 30 micron so filters out the larger dirt particles. You can get it with a clear glass inspection bowl and water detector with a light and sound alarm fitted in the cab. The light is a red dot light in a 50mm round gauge, I cut the gauge open and fitted just the light in the dash, much neater.

In the Toyota we still have all the original factory filter and alarms working.

Cheers Rick.
Maza

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies. I actually bought a Donaldson filter kit some months ago. There was no room for it anywhere in my engine! It would just fit if the water bowl was removed and I wasn't happy with that.

Then Nissan advised me to go to their local diesel mechanic who fits Fuel Manager. Fuel Manager was even bigger than the Donaldson! Again, it would just fit if the water bowl was removed.

Then, I went to my local mechanic, who fits Rycos. Same problem with water bowl. From my research, Ryco isn't the best filter.

In all these instances, the only place the filter would squeeze in was on the driver's side of the engine, opposite to the Nissan factory filter on the passenger side. Anyway, will give Diesel Care and the other suggestions posted a go.
Rolling Eyes
Andrew & Jen

State:: SA
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitted one to the F250 in front of the fuel tank fastened to the chassis rail with a shield to protect from stones, etc.
Simple to check and drain if necessary (unlike the one mounted on top of the engine in the V). Simple means it gets a regular check Smile
One thing to watch though - had 40L pinched from it one night at a CP as it is easy to access and slip a container under it in the middle of the night.
Cheers
Andrew
Maza

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andrew. Will suggest it to my mechanic.
Devils On The Prowl

State:: Tas
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get some good sound advice Maza before going ahead with this project.

Willy Nilly cutting fuel lines on modern diesels these days will find you slicing into high pressure fuel lines supplying the common rail diesel.

Me, I fitted a Water Watch (Australian Brand Name) and carry at least 5 spare genuine replacement fuel filters for my F250 which should be enough to keep changing to get me to the closest town for repairs if needed.

Good luck with it...
Maza

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:32 pm    Post subject: pre fuel filter Reply with quote

Thanks, Devil.
Saw my Nissan dealer today, who said much the same thing. I could jeopardize my warranty if I did anything too radical. Will have a look at Water Watch anyway.
Spoke with a friend who travelled down from Brisbane with only manufacturer's filter.....he pulled over 3 times when the light went off and drained the filter and changed the element. He said that's all I need to do.
All great advice on this forum.
Maza
Buffomarinus

State:: QLD
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps something to consider?
http://www.mrfunnelaustralia.com.au/buy-online.html
gordo and annie

State:: Queensland
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G'day Maza
I also have the Donaldson pre filter fitted to my 09 Troopy
Found it to be very good value
Not much over $100 from memory, from William Adams the local Cat dealer.
Came with filter head, I think two 10 micron elements, some fittings and the glass bowl.
The only extra stuff I had to get was some extra fuel line and worm drive clamps
Heaps cheaper than most other kits and still a good brand
I have the Donaldson part No. For the 3 micron elements if you need it.
I had no spare room to mount my filter either
Had to move my 2nd battery down the back nearer to the fridge to make room
Not familiar with the layout under your bonnet but you may have to shift something else to make room
Cheers
Gordon
Maza

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gordon,
Thanks for the reply. I bought the Donaldson P551615. Donaldson directed me to one of their reps in Belgrave (am in Victoria), but haven't had time to drive there yet.
Nissan frowns on any modifications under the bonnet to accommodate an extra filter, so I must be careful how I fit it. They are good to deal with, though; bought a steel bullbar from them and they chucked in a snorkel. Next on the list is breather tubes underneath.
Cheers
Maza
Devils On The Prowl

State:: Tas
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of people put the breathers on their diff's which is a good idea.

But don't forget to put them on the most expensive bits under there, the Transmission & Transfer case, these don't like water getting in as eitherl.
Maza

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Devil, breathers are a good idea. Did a small 4x4 course last year and learnt a few things: If you can't walk a creek or river you can't cross it; enter at downward flow; cool engine before entering; don't engage clutch.
I don't plan on river crossings, but you never know. Lots of youtube videos about drastic river crossings. I'd never do that to my 4x4. The recovery technique options were somewhat confusing.
Cheers
Maza
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> GENERAL DISCUSSION All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: