FOUR YEARS ON LATEST INNOVATIONS IN LITHIUM BATTERY SYSTEMS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> Tips on OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT SELECTION FOR NEW VANS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bushtracker
Site Admin

State:: Queensland
Current Bushtracker owner:: Yes
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:20 pm    Post subject: FOUR YEARS ON LATEST INNOVATIONS IN LITHIUM BATTERY SYSTEMS Reply with quote

We will be ALL Lithium, it is only a matter of time.

Their low resistance means they take the charge easier and faster, and the absence of memory issues means you can cycle them in any fraction of their "State of Charge". Further, you can draw them down more than a normal battery system, about 50% more. And because they are at nearly a zero resistance battery, they accept charging faster on 240v charger, and they accept the low light of morning and evening solar system input. The additional issue of weight savings is icing on the cake. There are more advantages yet, and I think our Coaching would tip the balance in that favour if you want a larger Bushtracker from 20' and up. In fact: It is about a 90 kg savings... Wink

We now have the 300 AH Lithium Pack in stock. In my original set four years ago, I found the 200 AH are a bit more limiting and you really want the 300 AH to trend on luxury. With everything running including outside light, fridge/freezer, and TV, it seems you go through about 100 AH in just over a day. In practical terms, I find my 200 AH system will not quite get me through the normal three day cloudy cycle of rainy weather. I mean in my experience it seems like a front is clouding up with rain the first day, rain for a day, clearing up with rain the third, means you really want to be able to go three days minimum without much solar input… The 200 AH is marginal, the 300 AH is adequate to modest reserves without relying on a generator.. Further, people taking the Auto Deploy Satellite Dish, and larger refrigeration systems like the 220 litre, really need the 300 AH sized Lithim system. You can do it with the 200 AH, but the 300 AH is better.. For those with extreme power needs, we also have 400 AH available.

The Lithium option is now in over 90% of all Bushtrackers, and we have a couple of new innovations. To protect the investment, we have an elaborate charging system, and low voltage disconnect system, and a manual reset marine switching system to even protect the Lithium batteries from being abused by the big Inverter. There is another relay trigger Low Voltage Disconnect, and these multiple protection systems are there to avoid accidental discharge due to equipment malfunction, that could damage the expensive Lithium power packs.

Other people can do it cheaper, DIY people can do it cheaper, but they will have losses as their systems are not as well protected as ours. They can play with it, but no one does it better than Bushtracker, and we want to protect your investment. We have designed a modular system to protect the Lithiums from all imaginable potential problems. It is all modular, self protecting, and easy to trouble shoot on an electrical panel and looks tidy as well: Below is the panel, in each van fully exposed, programmable 240v charger, Solar Regulator, Inverter, LVD disconnect, large Marine disconnect and relay driver, fused circuit protection system, all integrated and easy to manage. This is Yacht grade electrical system management for the Lithiums, and you will be proud to have something that looks and works this good:

MORE YET, in the Owners Section when you Order....
Bushtracker
Site Admin

State:: Queensland
Current Bushtracker owner:: Yes
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, for those of you know know me, You know I live waaaay out on the edge, pioneering innovations is my Lifestyle with Bushtracker...

I have kept and recycle our first Lithium setup, in order to see how long they can last. This is a crude 200 AH system, without our current technology and BMS, and it is still going strong. Testing all four cells they are perfectly in sync, even without the BMS (Battery Management System) that is on our new ones...

This early a bit crude Lithium was first in my goose neck horse float, and now has been moved to my tow vehicle as a Lithium backup to the truck batteries. Wink It is there to run a National Luna stainless fridge/freezer in the Dodge Cummins Diesel... This is the third vehicle it has been in, now in my "lil ute" for about a year. The stainless fridge freezer running off the truck batteries can run them down when you are not paying attention or parked up and can be a problem.. Now four years on this Lithium set up is still running perfectly..

A solar panel is on the roof of the canopy, and I have a DC to DC charger, and the standard LVD (Low Voltage Disconnect) this is a mini system, works a treat and the Lithiums are showing no signs of aging now at over four years.

This addition to the truck is no small endeavour, 240v charge, DC to DC charge with 20 amp charger, LVD, BMS, and we have it run by an EPro or Elite battery gauge to synchronize and show percentage of charge. Why? Well, you cannot tell the state of charge with the voltage level in Lithiums. The fridge freezer just runs until is shuts down on LVD. At least this EPro will tell state of charge so you will know how much longer the fridge can run. Here it is, now four years on testing, the record so far..
Anyway, thought you might have some interest.. Easy to charge, no memory, potential 10 year life or longer, low resistance to accepting a charge, this should make the truck an independent power plant with the solar on the canopy... They get used pretty hard and with this system I am testing the life expectancy. It never gets plugged into 240, and has been forgotten and parked in the shade run all the way down to LVD disconnect. Our new Lithium battery systems are far better, with BMS on board (Battery Management System) these battery systems could be a ten year proposition or longer. We have four years of them running out there as well…

(and don't worry about the jerry cans on the other side, 400 mm clearance, only diesel for portable fuel to pump out into my truck with a nozzle that goes down each one so a cheap 150 litre extra fuel tank- It is not a fire hazard..)

My system is the first, primitive by all Standards, as compared to the elaborate set we do now. In the Bushtrackers it looks like this on the Power Board. Only with a 60 amp for the bigger Lithium system. lt is self guarding, self protecting automated system for the Bushtracker to protect your investment:

Then, this is a very nice addition an 8 mm extension cord to hook to the Lithium Set and run to an Anderson Plug. The Elite will have a trip to the LVD if the voltage goes to low. This extension was an interesting invention born out of need, to run things like a big ARB Twin Air Compressor.

Anyway, Lithium in the truck too? Yes, it is a bit extreme: However, this Lithium could run camp lights, fridge/freezer, air compressor, any number of auxilliary power needs and independent of the truck electrical system. since about 90% of Bushtrackers are now going out with the Lithium set up, I may as well continue this longevity test on the first 200 AH set.

Now I have made up an Anderson plug one into two leads. Why? I forgot to plug back in the fridge/freezer didn’t I. Now I can run something else while the fridge freezer stays plugged in..

Regards and on the road, Ranger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> Tips on OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT SELECTION FOR NEW VANS All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: