WEIGHTS FOR VARIOUS SIZES TO WORK WITH...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> What SIZE OR TYPE OF BUSHTRACKER?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bushtracker
Site Admin

State:: Queensland
Current Bushtracker owner:: Yes
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:31 am    Post subject: WEIGHTS FOR VARIOUS SIZES TO WORK WITH... Reply with quote

Hello Friends, and Owners to Be... Wink

Look, the Forum is becoming a major guideline of Coaching on the Development of your Bushtracker plans. We give you three months or so of real coaching on the development of your layout and design, what ever you need. We do this to help you make the right decisions that will result in success in your travel plans. Once you Order, you get into the Owners Section where there is a WORLD of help for you, that is specific to your needs.

Our so called Competitors copy our style, and we want to make it a little harder for them to access this information, so it is not open to the Public, only after you Order and are in the Production Schedule. There is also some secret travel logs, discovered camp areas not to be made Public, Research and Development, and a lot of other Proprietary information exclusive to Bushtracker Owners.

I get the question on weight for various sizes, so to aid you in your planning stage at the beginning, I will give you some guidelines. Also, for Safety reasons, you have to allow 10% on the hitch; and this affects some tow vehicles that say they can tow a certain weight, but do not have adequate ball weights to allow it to be done safely..

Weight distribution is very important, and we take care of the basics with where we mount tanks and batteries and other optional equipment. We will not do the obvious dangerous things, like mounting large 4x4 tyres and wheels out on the back of Bushtrackers for two reasons: First it ruins the all important Departure angle for off road use... Second and more important it can be dangerous as it contributes to Sway and Hobby Horse action with weight out on the polar end of the van. Our spares are mounted on the front as the tow vehicle suspension can dampen that action, but on the rear it aggravate those tendencies, and sway and hobby horse action can be hazardous both on road and off.

Our Optional Equipment can weight 300-400kg, and most of our Owners take most of that equipment for independence and self-sufficiency and luxury in the Bush. With that equipment on board, here are the weights for various sizes:

In 16', and 17': If you have a tow capacity challenged tow vehicle like a Prado or Pajero, or Range Rover, and some others that can only tow 2500 kg, we offer the Hybrid Lite. It has a Transport Approved alloy chassis, and comes in under 2 ton. Our last 17' Hybrid Lite had a tare of 1920 kg, with solar, full ensuite, and a lot of Optional Equipment. There is a Topic on this in this Section. This allows you 500 kg for water and food and toys and tools and such, and still be under your 2500 kg total ATM towing capacity. We also have an 18' Hybrid Lite now, at about 2000 kg Tare, see the Topic on it.

In a normal Bushtracker 18': With most of our Optional Equipment on board, it will weigh 2300 kg, and with some layouts or extreme gear lists it can go to 2400 kg. If you go for the larger suspension that is an option, we have seen it at 2450 kg.

In 19': Figure on 2450 kg, and extremes of gear up to 2550 kg..

In 20': Allow 2550 kg, and with the extremes of optional equipment and some layouts up to 2650 kg and even 2700 kg.

In 21': Figure on 2650 to 2750 kg, depending on layouts and extremes of Optional Equipment. You could go all the way to 2800 kg in the extremes.

In 22': Figure 2800 kg to 2900 kg. In general this is too large for mid sized tow vehicles like Toyota, unless you have the years of safety and habits from having a Professional Truck License. It is not the weight as much as a safety issue of length and high speed traffic hazard avoidance and recovery on the Highway that is a concern. There is a Topic on this, on the Maximum Size to put behind Toyota sized vehicles, and this is for safety reasons. We try and look after you.

Over 22'? You need the larger tow vehicles talked about in the Category TIPS ON TOW VEHICLES

Now, depending on layouts, and the extremes of personal choices in Optional Equipment, extremes have gone heavier, but they are not the norm. On each size, we get some on the lighter size as well. When we see the size and scope of your Optional Equipment choices, we can offer you more guidance on this. In general, you have to run a bit lighter on gear if you have a mid sized tow vehicle like Toyota for instance, in 21' and 22', so you have adequate extra capacity to really load it up with water and personal gear and not go over your 3500 kg limits. We try and look after you with your best interests in mind, so take our advice seriously.

On the road with the Ranger.. Wink

Last edited by Bushtracker on Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
Motherhen

State:: WA
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A dumb question Steve - but how do we know what our legal ATM is?

Follow our travel adventures on http://www.australiasomuchtosee.com/
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motherhen,
It says what it is on your VIN Plate on the inside of your a-frame. From memory you bought a second hand 18' about 9 years old now. In that vintage there was only a 3000 kg suspension available.

About 4-5 years ago, we invented a larger suspension for the 18' as an option, that went to 3500 kg with larger suspension arms and bearings and a different spring pack. This was to accommodate people that really wanted to load one up with more than 4 water tanks, 4 batteries, 4 solar panels, or full time living really loaded up that could go over 3000kg with water tanks full...

The newer 3500 kg suspension is actually a downsized spring pack version of the larger 4 ton suspension. But in your vintage of van, it was not invented yet, so you are restricted to 3000 kg in axle stubs and bearings. To go over that risks fracture of an axle over the long haul.. And that could spell disaster...

Cheers, stg
Motherhen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve and thanks for reply. Over the years and several owners our 1998 van has had changes, and the suspension was upgraded by a previous owner. It now has four water tanks, when the original was probably three, and four solar panels instead of two. The wheels have been changed to match each progressive owner's tow vehicle; from Toyota to Nissan and now F250. The VIN plate is hard to read as it has been painted over Sad

Cheers

Motherhen

Hi Steve; I have not followed your advice and posted on the referred thread, because there are too many unknowns with our multi-owned caravan for it to be of any useful purpose. I tried to let you know off forum by PM but the feature is not active. Cheers, Mh

Follow our travel adventures on http://www.australiasomuchtosee.com/

Last edited by Motherhen on Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motherhen,

I suppose it is possible someone has upgraded your suspension...
Please put your question in Upgrading Second Hand Bushtracker Vans in the Topic NEW HEAVIER SUSPENSION FOR 18' VANS.. as it is a bit off topic here and would get lost...

There, in the related Topic, the answer, and pictures I will put on, will help others that come down this trail in the future...

Cheers, stg

Last edited by Bushtracker on Wed May 09, 2012 12:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Harry and Jan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:26 pm    Post subject: Van weights Reply with quote

The tare weight of our 18’0”van as stated on the compliance plate is 2580kg. We have 4 water tanks, 3 batteries, 3 solar panels, 17” TV, 50amp battery charger, 1800wt inverter, AC upgraded suspension. Our van does not have, from what I have seen, anything that is not run of the mill stuff. I have not had the opportunity to run it over a weighbridge to confirm this tare, but I am sure it is correct. The difference in our van weight which only includes items that from what I can see are regarded as normal, has always had me wondering.
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ready To Go,
This is interesting... That heavy in 18' is not the norm..

You are on the heavier side of things for some reason, possibly your layout or all the little goodies you added on. I cannot recall whom you are with the 1350 Registered so forgive me I am not familiar with your layout or what.. Or, if the Bushtracker was Ordered with the larger suspension, that can account of quite a bit of the weight as the suspension arms and springs are 50% larger.

Now without digressing into those choices, I can tell you that two vans were weighed just this week, with possibly the lighter ends of layouts and here is the opposite end of the spectrum. A 20' Bushtracker came in at 2540 with a more modest package of gear, three 135 watt panels, 3 batteries, and the normal range of Optional Equipment... And a 21' just after it, was weighed at 2660 kg.

Now I tell a bit more on the emerging variations in layouts in the layout section of this Forum, but there is at least 150 kg variation between say the mid ensuite style, and our new rear ensuite style that there is a Topic on in the Layout Category.

Your own van will never weigh what it did at tare, because it was weighed without water testing. Now there will be gas in bottles, residual water in tanks, water in lines- pumps- filters-, water in HWS, plus anything you forget in locker and so on... It is very hard to replicate the original Tare, but if you do you will find it correct. We have been checked and verified so many times they claim we are the best they have ever had, and they have made me a HAVRAS Officer for Qld Transport to sign off on these. Laughing

Cheers, stg

Last edited by Bushtracker on Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Loki of Condor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our van is a 20 footer with the rear full width ensuite. It's only 4 months old. Tare is 2660kg. It has 3 solar panels and 3 batteries, all the normal gadgets and probably some extra. I took it down to the weighbridge earlier this week.

Four water tanks all full is 400kg, plus 2660 is 3060kg. I figured with a 3500kg maximum, there's no way we could put almost half a ton of our own gear on board.

No jerry cans, no generator just our junk on board. I got a real shock and will have to carry out a strict cull of the stuff we throw on board because the weight was 3560kg.

Reading the previous posts, I can see where 50 to 100kg can be just lying around before we put our stuff in. 23kg in the water in the HWS, probably 10kg in the pipes, 20kg in the BBQ, etc etc.

Interestingly, I also weighed the ball weight by hitching up the van and just moving the vehicle off the weighbridge with the van still on it. Would you believe 200kg.

Don't go on guesstimates. Weigh your gear. You could be surprised, like me.

Loki,

Yours did have a very thick file of little bits and pieces added. I just weighed another 20' today, Friday, 5/3/10, and it was pretty heavily loaded with everything and then some... This one had all the bells and whistles and some custom bits, no expense spared, and it came in at 2620 kg with your same rear ensuite layout...

Cheers, stg

Yes, and I don't help my own cause when I chuck in a bag of tent pegs (for 4 awning ropes) from our camping days. It's got about 40 steel pegs and must weigh 20kgs by itself. I only need about 6 pegs now. Time for a serious cull, I think. And it may come as a shock to Mrs Loki that we don't need multiple plates, cups, glasses in case we get visitors. They can knock with their elbows. Laughing Laughing
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Friends,
Here is more on current weights: Today, Oct 1 2010

As an example:
This weeks weights, in process of Registration, last 3 Bushtrackers, and current this last week of Sept. 2010: These are middle of the road vans in equipment, sort of an average:

A 19' weighed 2500 kg (mid ensuite, which is always a bit heavier)
A 20' Weighed 2580 kg (rear ensuite separate shower and toilet and is always a bit lighter, and this one has a slightly lighter gear list..)
A 21' Weighed 2780 kg (mid ensuite again, always runs a bit heavier.)

Just a set of examples for you with all the Optional Equipment on board, and ready for Registration...

Steven Gibbs, Director
Qld Transport HVRAS Officer
FOF

State:: NSW
Current Bushtracker owner:: No
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Steve,

This topic is now 5 years old.
Has there been any changes to the weights of these vans with the latest products being used ?

Thanks in Advance.
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually yes,

Too many toys to choose from... I would estimate the averages are up by about 100-150 kg due to all the extra add on's in recent years. I weighed a pretty loaded up 19' yesterday and it came in 2.62 ton Shocked We are coaching people to watch their weights, but we have to offer all the gear that people want. If they get too heavy, we just have to coach them on prioritizing.... Hmmm

When you finalize your gear list these days, we can refer to the weights on all the options and styles and estimate the Tare. It is an ever changing list and weights, but we do that now as a matter of course.

Landcruisers towing 21' have to be a bit gear selective for all the right reasons or they are better off with a 20' Bushtracker if they want EVERYTHING.. Wink

Kind regards, Steven Gibbs, Director
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> What SIZE OR TYPE OF BUSHTRACKER? All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: