NEW AIR SAFE HITCH FOR TRUCKS TOWING BUSHTRACKERS
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> GENERAL DISCUSSION
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bushtracker
Site Admin

State:: Queensland
Current Bushtracker owner:: Yes
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GenyHitch has four adjustments, for slide in points....

Further the Geny can go upside down and has even a larger range for height.

Driving with a stiff truck suspension will shake and jar the van, I do suggest you go one of these shock absorbing hitches. The GenyHitch has the biggest range up and down, with four slide in points as I said, just make sure you can carry the ball weight as it does add 37 kg. Check with the Manufacturer, or do what I have done and have the hitch reinforced a bit.

Kind regards, Steven Gibbs, Admin
Rob

State:: NSW
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Steve, I will take your advice.

It was mentioned in one of your posts that you have the geny hitch, the price of $1350 is a far cry better than an air safe. If comparable, let me know once you have been able to try it yourself, I would like to order one from you. I can give heights of adjustment required once I take measurements and level the van. I would be taking your advice on adjustment required for a ram.... I think there is a 5" adjustment version and a 7" I think 5" will be plenty given it's up and down benefit. Airsafe doesn't seem to offer much adjustment.

I do have a DO 45 hitch, van having 4000 ATM, so will need to work with that bigger hitch.

Regards, Rob.

Last edited by Rob on Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again Rob,

We have it in stock, you can have it if you like...

Just check on your ball weight issue, as it does add 37 kg, here with the ball mount hitch that comes with it on the scale..

And BTW: WELCOME TO THE FORUM !! Posts 1 & 2...

Kind regards, Steven Gibbs, Admin, Director, half a Horseman... Heh he
Rob

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve, put my name on it. I am going into Gilbert and Roach tomorrow to get the truck serviced and will enquire re ball weight. I think the extra ball weight is a better alternative to the jarring on the van/truck/back tho....

I will call to confirm order tomorrow.in your opinion will it be as good as airsafe?

Rob.
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob wrote:
Hi Steve, put my name on it. I am going into Gilbert and Roach tomorrow to get the truck serviced and will enquire re ball weight. I think the extra ball weight is a better alternative to the jarring on the van/truck/back tho....

I will call to confirm order tomorrow.in your opinion will it be as good as airsafe?

Don't get it from us unless you were coming this way.. Shipping would be too much, see if you can get in touch with GenyHitch and get one locally... And no, I cannot give a comparo because I have not towed with both. It is probably the same effect, but might feel different. If you get one, give us your results OK?

Kind regards, stg
Rob

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know of any suppliers down in Newcastle or anywhere nearby.. I will try and see how I go, I think I am up for freight regardless. That photo looks like a 7.5" drop, I may be needing only a 5"drop. The Isuzu needs the tongue to rise a bit , a ram would need a drop but I wouldn't think 7", your advise would be required here, I wouldn't like it hanging down unnecessarily.

Rob.

Last edited by Rob on Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rob

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve, I have ordered one and should receive it in a few weeks. After my 2 week trip away in July I will be posting my thoughts on the gen-y hitch. I think it will be a good thing. Looks like the support from Chris at Gen-Y will be top notch also after talking with him.

Rob.
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davo writes:
Hi Steve,

Just wondering, seeing as how this firm is apparently on the Sunshine Coast, if you have as yet trialled the OZ Glide DO35 tow hitch and if so, what are your thoughts on it please?

http://www.ozglide.com.au

At 20KG (including the DO35) I understand the Oz Glide meets Australian Design Rule 62/02 for 3.5 tons.

The video seems to leave an impressionable ride, particularly for owners of LC200, which seem to be the majority tow vehicles for a BT and who are limited from other alternatives such as the Air Safe hitch, which are more compatible for trucks.

Thanks Steve.

Regards,
Dave

Bushtracker
Site Admin, My response

Honestly Dave,

While I am considering trying something like it, (Gen Y hitch) on my Dodge on the Delivery of a van to NSW later this coming month, I can think of no application for a 200 Series...

This is only appropriate for hard riding trucks, like a beefed up Ford, Dodge, or Chevrolet/GMC. Maybe on a beefed up SRW suspension like my heavily loaded Dodge Ram, and certainly on a dual rear wheel version of these trucks:
But I can think of absolutely no reason to consider using it on an a 200 Series Landcruiser.. It adds to the towball weight, and is just not necessary in that class of vehicle..

Even on my Dodge it is hard to justify, but my wife has a bone spur in her neck, and my new van in process will be 23'. On rougher tracks it could reduce the jar and bounding effect on the tow vehicle, and soften the ride on the van. Even then; I would not bother but on bad roads She has to lay down on a foam mattress in the Mega Cab Dodge Ram folded down back seats.. That is the only reason I would bother with it on an SRW truck even.

Kind regards, Steven Gibbs, Director..
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Friends,

I have just done about a 7000 km trip with the Gen-Y Hitch. It does take the shock out of rougher tracks.

Next, I have just ordered the Air Safe Hitch. In all fairness, my review may be invaluable as I might be the only one to have run both with the same van. I will be giving a review of it in the June Expedition, and starting in April it will be in action on my Dodge Ram.

It is twice the expense of the Gen-Y, but it may be worth it for smaller vans in particular. My Gen-Y took up to 700 kg of ball weight. The Air Safe is adjustable, with variable air pressure you can adjust the air bag to suit your needs. They also come in various sizes as in Class 4, Class 5, and mine will be a Class 6 as I am going to be doing some extreme travel on expedition, hogging my well equipped 23' Bushtracker up fossilized creek beds in search of the "motherlode" Laughing

I still maintain that this type of hitch is not necessary for Landcruiser size vehicles, only trucks like the Dodge, Chevrolet, and Fords and larger like Isuzu and so on, with dual rear wheels. It will take the shock out of bad roads I will be able to give it a fair review, and it is a good idea as my next tow vehicle coming soon will be a heavy duty Dually:

Ricky

State:: QLD
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you go for the class VII it has a 2.5" shank so you don't need a reducing sleeve and it doesn't move around. Its the same unit as a Class VI, just the larger shank size.
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did think of that 2 1/2” shank... I even mentioned it to the CEO Allan Pearce.

But then I thought it would not make a difference as I Sika in shims
To tighten things up. Further to that, with an adjustable air over springs suspension it may not be necessary on my rig, and this way if I don’t want to keep it, it is more universal and flexible to use on other tow vehicles. Also on my MAN truck they only put on a heavy duty 2” receiver... So good idea but no...

Thanks, and keep on thinking!
Roachie

State:: SA
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is how I've stopped my Airsafe from moving.....

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d89/roachie01/DSCN1565_zpsukqmxmtr.jpg

The adapter sleeve is silicon'd in place and there are two pieces of 25mm chrome moly round steel bar (top and bottom... bottom one is visible) with HT bolts keeping it all "solid". Main nut plus nyloc nut on each side.

As an aside.....I've recently removed the cross pin with the little locking lug on the end. I've replaced it with a suitable sized HT bolt (13mm Allen head) and nyloc nut. The reason? If you have a locking end like this: https://www.ebay.com.au/i/121105117646?chn=ps the locking end lug can be EASILY broken off using a 1 meter or so piece of steel water pipe (or similar). We had to do this yesterday to a mates vehicle when the lock couldn't be operated by the key....too much dust etc we think.

Roachie
lkelectrical

State:: qld
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve Luke here just checking to see if that air safe hitch has turned up to your stables yet interested in having a look , cheers Luke
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Luke,
Yes, no worries,

There are pictures and the beginning of my testing, on the R&D section of the Owners Forum... I will start towing different sizes of vans with it, and my harder riding DRW (Dually) Dodge Ram in the next two weeks..

The Dual Rear Wheels means it is a real advantage for larger vans. The DRW just rides a bit hard. My own has the new adjustable Dodge "Air over Springs", and I will be carrying a long ton in the back, so while it is not AS necessary it is still a great advantage. For me, I will be using it to cushion the bounding effect on an undulating track, as mine will ride softer loaded up and not shock the van. However, it is still a major advantage to soften the bounding action, as my Wife has a spine structure problem and needs the softened ride. I am hoping it will glide along the back better and that is the motivation for me besides my normal R&D.

Regards, Steven Gibbs
lkelectrical

State:: qld
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve Luke here how's it going just touching base to see if you have done any r/d on the air safe hitch yet and how it compares to the other brand you have recently used as I need to buy one asap, interested in your thoughts cheers Luke
Roachie

State:: SA
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lkelectrical wrote:
Hi Steve Luke here how's it going just touching base to see if you have done any r/d on the air safe hitch yet and how it compares to the other brand you have recently used as I need to buy one asap, interested in your thoughts cheers Luke

Luke, Steve started this thread with a good run-down on the Airsafe Hitch, then digressed to report on the new option.

I think he said the Airsfafe would still be his number one pick if money is no problem.

For what it's worth I have the #6 Airsafe and couldn't be happier. I have it permanently plumbed up to an air supply from my on-board air system via a regulator, so I can increased/decrease the pressure in an instant when i hook up.

Roachie
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lkelectrical wrote:

Hi ya Luke👍

Look, I would be the only Person to have towed the same rig with the Gen Y Hitch, and starting Saturday with the Air Safe on my own large sized Bushtracker. I have the larger Class 6 size with shocks. It was recommended by Advantec for our level of off-road work.. Rated to maximums about double our needs at 900 kg ball weight and 9000 kg ATM, Advantec advised that size would be more robust. I have seen one in severe duty that had the control arms worn out rattling in only 40,000 kms, at a replacement cost of $700 for the new arms, so I took their advice on sizing.. Give me a week and I will have some analysis for you, in the begining of my normal “hands on” empirical testing OK?

I have started a Topic in the Owners Section in my R&D Category, on these shock absorbing style of hitches, so keep an eye out there for my report. I tested the Gen-Y hitch over 7000 kms, over three States and Tasmania, and between now and July will do about the same over three States out to the W.A. Border... I should have some initial impressions on the Air Safe in a week so stay tuned 🤠
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> GENERAL DISCUSSION All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: