Rear camera

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> GENERAL DISCUSSION
View previous topic :: View next topic  
T Whato

State:: NSW
Current Bushtracker owner:: Yes
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:04 pm    Post subject: Rear camera Reply with quote

Hi
I have a 2007 19' Bushtracker with an Axis camera on the rear with a flat 4 pin plug at the draw bar.I want to install a camera monitor in the tow vehicle.Can anyone advise me on what monitor to use or can the plug be changed or adapted to suit.

Thanks T Whato
mattandlana

State:: WA
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monitors come in all price/quality combinations. I've bought and thrown away a few cheapies. I'm currently using a Gator product which is bigger and heavier, and more expensive, but seems durable. Remember it will likely be sitting on the dash in the full summer sun - gets v hot, and cheap electronics just melt.

Yes you can change the plug - it's all low voltage DC electrics. BUT remember video signals are sensitive to interference, crosstalk and signal loss. Keep joins to a minimum. Soldered connections will work much better than crimp/grubscrew connectors (ie. give you better signal quality, or any signal at all). If you're handy with auto wiring you can certainly do it yourself. If not it may be better to get a car radio installer to do it.

Many BTers use the Britax 12 pin trailer plug to carry everything - one less plug at hookup.
Bushtracker
Site Admin

State:: Queensland
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have two distinct problems here....

For one: No one can advise you how to hook up the monitor in the truck, it takes a proper Technician to sort out that one... It may not even be original. It may not even be compatible... hmmm

For two: You need that same Technician to verify what is what on the four pin plug, and match the wiring to the vehicle..

Three, I know I said two, three: Yes Matt and Lana are quite right, and we have everything in a 12 pin these days. If you are going to get a Technician sort in A/V to look at it, I would suggest the investment to change over. It is much more efficient and one less thing to hook up or fall out.

Take it to someone in your area that installs that kind of equipment, Audio/Vis in Vehicles, or if you are coming this way have it sorted out at Bushtracker, or "Sound in Motion" at Nambour.. Pretty hopeless without seeing it though, IMO..

Kind regards, Director, Bushtracker

Kind regards,
silverscott

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:21 am    Post subject: Rear Camera Reply with quote

Just ring Brian at sound in motion he has mates in NSW that can do the job.
Mine was done at RCA in Gosford. As I changed vehicles from an F250 to a 200 series.
We continued to use the trouble free 4 pin plug.

Regards Scott
T Whato

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your advise
Greynomads

State:: ACT
Current Bushtracker owner:: Ordered
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject: Parkmate Reversing Camera Reply with quote

Our reversing camera is new but we have no colored guidelines so assuming there is a problem somewhere. Any ideas as to what we are doing wrong or what we need to do would be greatly appreciated. Camera was only fitted last month while can had its first service.
Roachie

State:: SA
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not all cameras have the coloured guidelines fitted into their electronics.

Did your's EVER have the guidelines.....and now they're there no longer? Or have you never had them? (I suspect the latter).

For what it's worth, as regards the original poster's question, our pre-owned BT came with a camera mounted high up on the roof. The wiring for that was in the 12 pin plug.....the 4 wires were tiny and they looked "stupid" being connected to four of the five LARGE pins in that plug.

I have a personal dislike of the 12 pin plug type, having used them extensively when we had a camper trailer.

So, I changed the plug over to a large round 7 pin plug for the "normal" electrics and I added a flat 7 pin plug which carries the four wires for the new camera I fitted (I couldn't get the old one working), as well as supplying power to two LED light bars at the back; one for reversing and one (red lense) for a high-intensity fog light.

I wired it all myself and it all works very well.

The downside (if you can call it that) is that I have 3 cables to plug in now, including the Anderson plug.....takes about 15 seconds or less to plug-in all three.

Roachie
tweedledee and tweedledum

State:: New South Wales
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:25 am    Post subject: 12 pin plug Reply with quote

Hi Roahie

i noticed you didn’t like the 12 pin flat plug

We currently have the normal round 7 pin plug & it is difficult enough to get out, especially with Road grim & dirt, them you put some cleaners in it

I was thinking a 12 pin plug would be even more difficult given the number of connectors

Like you I like the 7 pin flat plug & using a couple of them for all your connections sounds like a good idea

I would be interested in your thoughts & experiences on why you don’t like the 12 pin flat plug
Roachie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experiences with the 12 pin relate back to my 17 odd years of owning a Ultimate Offroad camper trailer.

I guess that trailer did a lot more articulating and was dragged across deserts, through deep water crossing and all sorts of other muck that we probably won't need to tow the BT through.

I used to carry a couple of spare 12 pin male and female units because of the number of failures we had. I must admit though, I wasn't aware back in those days, that there was a metal 12 pin plug available. Perhaps if I'd had them in both male and female, I might have formed a different opinion.

The other factor is that the 7 pin portion of the 12 pin plug has quite small holes, limiting the size of the cable that can be used.

For the most part that is not a big issue.....BUT....I never use the blue brake wire that is provided in the 7 core cable.

Instead, I prefer to use a 6mm cable which doesn't fit into the small pin (#5) of the flat 7 pin or 12 pin plug/socket.

The wire receptacles on the LARGE ROUND plug are larger and will accept the heavier brake wire.

After all, if it's good enough for the heavy vehicle industry to use large round plug on semis etc, it's good enough for me.

Bill

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: 7 pin flat plug Reply with quote

Hi Bill

Thanks for your reply

I hadn’t looked at the pins of the 7 pin flat and I am interested in your comments regarding termination of the brake wire into pin 5

If the trucking industry uses large 7 pin round, then that’s a great endorsement & this could be the best solution

I appreciate your comments
datama

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Folks,
More relevant info on this topic which is well worth reading, at:

http://www.bushtrackerforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=27780&highlight=#27780

Regards,
Dave
HunterL

State:: New Zealand
Current Bushtracker owner:: Ordered
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a Navman GPS with forward facing camera for traffic monitoring - the unit also has the ability to accept a rear view camera. I have fitted this in my Landcruiser 76 with a camera mounted in the rear door that works a treat as a reversing camera. BUT I have also fitted a DPDT switch in the camera line to manually turn it on and depending on the selection will show/select either the rear wagon camera or the caravan camera. If either camera is selected the GPS screen is replaced with the selected camera view.
Col & Diane Douglas

State:: Qld
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a tip for those having a new BT built. Consider carefully what viewing angle camera to use.

A reversing camera (which most have fitted) has a viewing angle of 90 -150 degrees. These are good for reversing but next to useless as a rear-view camera when driving (the vehicles behind are near-impossible to see until they are getting close).

A good rear-view camera has a viewing angle of 30 degrees, which gives a view similar to a rear-view mirror. Not suitable as a reversing camera though.

So in summary, the narrower the angle-of-view, the better the rear view; the wider the angle-of-view, the better for reversing.

We solve the problem by having two cameras mounted on the rear or the BT; connected to a dedicated 7" monitor that replaces the rear-view mirror. This monitor takes three switchable inputs. The third is connected to a rear-view camera on the rear of the 200 Series, and is used when not towing. (The tow vehicle of course also has the standard reversing camera which is viewed on the navigation screen when reverse gear is selected).

A rear-view mirror is useless to us whether the van is being towed or not, because the rear of the car is always full of stuff (metal detectors etc.).

Now, I'm not sure whether it is legal to not have an internal rear-view mirror (even if it's of no use). So if you are considering this approach it is something to take in to account. Personally I consider the safety of me and my wife (and other road users for that matter) to be paramount.

Cheers,

Col and Diane.
Ajay and Fletch

State:: Vic
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One point to remember, rear view cameras do not replace correctly adjusted rear view mirrors for towing. These mirrors must give clear views up both sides of the trailer/caravan. If you do not have appropriate mirrors and are using the rear view camera instead, you will be booked if checked, no ifs or buts.

In the interest of happy Bushtrackering.

Kind regards ...
Roachie

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Col and Diane,

I'm in a similar situation as you as regards the internal mirror being of no use at all.....canopy on the Chev prevents seeing out.

If you've ever taken note of most prime movers, they too don't have an internal mirror....so it is entirely legal, so long as you have external mirrors which enable you to view wider than the trailer/caravan.

In my case, I've used the dovetail mount that is embedded into the windscreen glass, to mount a bracket I made. This bracket holds my TPMS and the dashcam. I also have a 7" screen for reverse camera duties on the BT. Mine only has 2 inputs, and the other one is mounted under the tail light assembly on the Chev, where it is an invaluable aid (along with the direct rear-view camera) to hitching up. I watch the main camera initially, so I can get the alignment spot-on, then when I'm within a meter or so, I switch my eyes to the dash screen and watch the gap close until the truck hitch is directly below the receiver on the van. Makes hooking up VERY easy.

Bill

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
We have a reversing camera on the caravan & a screen in the centre of the dash for the past 8 years

The problem I find when reversing is that I have to take my eyes off the mirrors to look at the reversing camera screen. This means stopping reversing to focus on the screen. I use a spotter (my wife) who guides the back of the caravan in expertly via CB radio

If we were buying a new caravan I am thinking of saving my money & not worrying about the installation of the reversing camera on the caravan & associated car setup
Col & Diane Douglas

State:: Qld
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roachie wrote:

In my case, I've used the dovetail mount that is embedded into the windscreen glass, to mount a bracket I made. Bill

Yeah that's the way I stabilized my monitor as well.

You've got that hooking-up well and truly sorted out Roachie. In my case I've struggled since I've got the 200. I don't know what Toyota were thinking when they offset the reversing camera. I remember reading on LCOOL about a bloke who relocated the camera back to the centre. I might give that a go eventually - Col
Digger

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I just rewired my rear camera on my Van

The wiring on the car side

WHITE
SHIELD
YELLOW
RED

THEN ON THE CARAVAN PLUG
WHITE
SHIELD
RED
YELLOW

FOR SOME REASON THEY SWAP THE RED AND YELLOW , SO THEY DO NOT GO COLOUR FOR COLOUR .

WHITE -WHITE
SHEILD-SHIELD
RED-YELLOW
YELLOW-RED

CHEERS
DAVE
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> GENERAL DISCUSSION All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: