Warn brake cable supporting ring.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> GENERAL DISCUSSION
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Johnson

State:: Western Australia
Current Bushtracker owner:: Yes
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:07 pm    Post subject: Warn brake cable supporting ring. Reply with quote

I have noticed that the brake cable supporting ring located in wheel arch has worn dangerously thin. Any suggestions of modification or repair. There is also cable damage. I believe this could be a serious problems if cable broke through and entangled with rotating wheel. Please advise diameter of cable, the BT is in a remote location, therefore can't measure dia.
Bushtracker
Site Admin

State:: Queensland
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three things:

You did not give the age of your Bushtracker, but this is a maintenance issue. You should be inspecting the emergency brake cable and adjuster and fittings everytime you service wheel bearings and brakes..

When you ask a question, you should always give the size and age of the Bushtracker if you want help..

When was the last time you washed out and serviced the wheel bearings? Springs? Pivot blocks? Brakes?
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right Oh Bob,

You did not answer, so I looked you up. 2003 Bushtracker, this is a maintenance issue like about 50 other things. The guides are half chain links welded on the chassis, yes they do wear, like everything else. Off hand I cannot tell you the brake cable size, as Bushtracker is closed until next week, but also you need to take it off and measure the exact length you need.

You need to learn what maintenance you need to do, so you are not in a panic situation in a "remote area" as you say. Call Bushtracker next week and we can give the exact size, as I cannot remember. You need to take it off and measure the length because it depends on the a-frame length and how it was ordered. We could even post pack it to you with an address.

Anyway, to save yourself a lot of grief, three things you can learn here on the Forum: Maintenance, maintenance, and yes maintenance is all important or you can go from disaster to disaster. Per the above post, the break cable inspection should be done every time you service bearings and inspect other things in the running gear like spring clearance distance to the stops, pivot blocks, hitch, I mean this is a 16 year old machine that may have gone around Australia a half dozen times.... Maintain it before you break it, and there is a WORLD of help here on the Forum, check out the Maintenance Category in the Owners Section for one.

Best regards, Admin at Bushtracker, Steven Gibbs
The Hob

State:: QLD
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also found mine getting worn. I like some others have replaced the loop with a pulley and changed its position so the cable does not turn so sharply. The pulley makes the handbrake a lot better to use.
Rosiebear

State:: Qld
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks hob, replaced my cable 18 mths ago, 2005 van, so was fully stretched.
But the small blocks are a really good idea to beat that tension friction.

I have adjusted the new cable twice for stretch since, it will stretch for many years.

The new galvanised cables are plastic coated so you dont get dust wear in the wire wraps, and they dont corrode.
0417 007298
Bob Johnson

State:: Western Australia
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Hob , this looks like a great way to go using a shackle and pulley. Yes Steve maintenance maintenance and maintenance, totally agree.
Thanks all for support and solution.
Bob Johnson
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right Oh,

In case you did not get the email, it is 4mm cable, 7x7 (seven cables x seven core each wound.) 5mm would be fine..

Also, you need the proper cable clamps, I would renew those as well..

You will need about 10 metres to replace it...

Kind regards,
Steven Gibbs, Bushtracker
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> GENERAL DISCUSSION All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: