Van Covers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> GENERAL DISCUSSION
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TREX

State:: SA
Current Bushtracker owner:: Ordered
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:01 pm    Post subject: Van Covers Reply with quote

Who makes a good van cover
SMICK

State:: vic
Current Bushtracker owner:: Yes
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:28 pm    Post subject: Cover Reply with quote

Gday Trex.
We have a 2006 Bushtracker that has never been undercover. Van still looks good. When not in use we leave a couple of windows cracked open to allow air to circulate. If you cover it mold and mildew could form through lack of fresh air. We live in far north Queensland where mold and mildew is rife, no problems with the van.
Michael.
Bushtrek

State:: NSW
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TREX,
The only people I would deal with are Caravan Covers who are just around the corner from Bushtracker at Forest Glen. Here is a link to their website:https://caravancovers.com.au/.
Talk with Brian Harris, who owns the business. Very helpful and obliging.

My first cover from them lasted 7 years, and I have just purchased a second. Brian took on board some suggestions I made to improve the design which were minor really but he is keen for feedback and as I said very objective in discussing how to improve anything.
Brian quotes a 6 year warranty for the deluxe cover.
Where I store my van there are many other vans with covers and I get to see a large range of covers and their performance. Some only last 3 to 4 months in the weather, some are ripped to shreds within weeks due to a combination of poor design, tight corner edges and the strength of the wind which will rip all of them eventually.
My first one did not tear at all, just degradation of the zips and flashing due to extreme Sun damage.
I had four clear panels in my first one to allow the Solar panels to keep generating in storage. Have reduced to 2 clear panels in the new cover, as 4 is excessive with everything turned off. I am still on my original 4 AGM batteries from purchase of the van in 2012 and they are today capable of delivering 120 amps to the microwave when needed and still hold 12.2 volts while doing it. This I attribute to the continuous maintenance from the Solar in storage plus other maintenance I give them in use.
As well the caravan looks like new as it has been protected by the cover all this time, when we are not touring.
Hope this helps
JnG

State:: NSW
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TREX, we have the same type of cover as Bushtrek. We have used it for 3 years now. While one of the zippers failed on first fitting, the after sales support was good.

There is a reasonable amount of effort required, using pool noodles, etc, to get everything set up to protect the various plastic surfaces of the van (windows, vents, etc). Also, if you get roof panels with the plastic inserts, you will need to build structures to lift these sections away from the solar panels. I have had to replace the storm water pipe I use each year as it melts under the heat and pressure of the roof cover!

Perhaps the biggest downside for me these days is the significant effort in lifting the covers onto the van. You need a calm-weather day and a very strong partner! Currently going through the van clean up process and wondering if I will use the cover again because of the effort involved.
Bushtracker
Site Admin

State:: Queensland
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been doing Bushtracker, owning a Bushtracker, several, for 25 years now...]

Mine lives outside, solar takes care of things, just gets checked in on now and then...

I have been hit by hail and needed a partial re-skin, once in 25 years. Covers are waaay too much hassle for me. Van gets a bit dirty, rain washes it off, I don't even bother cleaning the solar panels for the risk to health, maybe a 5% loss when they are dirty..

Anyway, too much hard work in caravan covers for me...

Kind regards, Director, Bushtracker
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> GENERAL DISCUSSION All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: