Which is the better suspension?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> GENERAL DISCUSSION
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CWhite

State:: AU-SA
Current Bushtracker owner:: No
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:49 am    Post subject: Which is the better suspension? Reply with quote

G'day, We are looking for information on which suspension is the preferred style. We originally thought of having air bag suspension but, after our recent factory tour, are not so sure now. So just throwing it out to the masses, which suspension is the better one?

Charlie & Jill White
Bushtracker
Site Admin

State:: Queensland
Current Bushtracker owner:: Yes
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Charlie and Jill,

Look, the Staff at Bushtracker can advise you better... Any one that has an answer here is only guessing with partial information... How can I say that?

Because you have not told us what size, or what tow vehicle...

Now, I am the retired founding Director of Bushtracker. I can have ANYTHING, and what do I have? My 23' has the full Air Suspension, with Auto Load Levelling, with manual over ride for side to side and front to back levelling. But my van is 2017, and the truth is, Technology has improved since then. If you were really Handy, Engineering wise, and could take spares like air lines and maybe a spare air bag, spare compressor, and so on, then maybe OK.

What would I do not in 2021? We have a really nice Load Sharing coil suspension that rides as good and is far less maintenance. It is the ONLY one in Australia and almost makes the full Air Suspension obsolete. If I was building a new Bushtracker for myself, I would go that way.. There are a number of levelling blocks and ramps that are cheap and easy to use, or do it the old fashioned way with a shovel and or hardwood scrap laying around.. Wink Cool

In saying that, if you are mechanically inclined, if you are very handy, if you are willing to carry the spares, our Full Air Suspension with auto load levelling and manual side to side levelling is really cool. But it DOES take a hands on approach..

Now you did not indicate a size.. Always do that so we can help you better.. In a smaller van, you would probably not need to do either of those, our Standard Suspension is Load Sharing and really about maintenance free !! The above choices are really for the larger vans.

Then again if you were big time road travel, little extreme off-road, smaller van like 18' and less, the other suspension choice is Trailing Arm Coil... It is far better than the common version offered by others, in that it is more robust and also has the 4140 Tool Steel axles of 60 Ton Tensile that they do not even offer...

Anyway, this is after a couple of Scotches, Laughing and you should probably listen to the good Coaching my Staff has to offer. We are Number One is Australia for a very good reason: They all operate with "Your Best Interests in Mind"... If not, they would not be working here, they would be working for one of our Competitors... Laughing Laughing Laughing

Kind regards, Steven Gibbs, Founding Director retired but still here for you. Wink [/i]
CWhite

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G'day Steve,
Thanks for the reply and adding that we have a 2019 Toyota LC200 with upgraded GVM (3800kg) & BTC (4000kg).
We are looking at a 21' van with a storage box on the A frame and the larger size ensuite.

Cheers
Charlie & Jill
Loki of Condor

State:: WA
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie,

If you are storing your new van undercover, be aware (and Steve may confirm this) that the coil spring suspension makes the van a little higher overall.

I’m not sure of the amount, maybe 50mm or so.
CWhite

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Loki
Bushtracker
Site Admin

State:: Queensland
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CWhite wrote:
G'day Steve,
Thanks for the reply and adding that we have a 2019 Toyota LC200 with upgraded GVM (3800kg) & BTC (4000kg).
We are looking at a 21' van with a storage box on the A frame and the larger size ensuite.

Cheers
Charlie & Jill

You are very "Main Stream", that size and that tow vehicle puts you in our most common size category.. Look, talk with my Staff, about your style of travel. You could go with any of them, but one of the coil suspension versions would ride the best behind you. If you are going remote, and really exploring, the load sharing coil is the best to crawl around over things..

In all fairness, no matter what you think right now, you may be going further out than you think... Why? All the travel magazine places are waaaay over crowded and way over booked as no one is going overseas...

I would go with either the Standard Load Sharing Suspension, which is fine and easy, or the Load Sharing Coil, if you are planning on exploring remote places away from the Mob.. Load Sharing is the best, that is why all big Transport all the way from trucks to Rail uses it, soft on the payload.. Wink

Kind regards, Steven Gibbs, Director, Semi-Retired but always here for you.
Di & Greg

State:: NSW
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Charlie & Jill
We have a 2015 20ft BT being towed by a 2014 LC with 3800 GVM & 4T BTC upgrades. Our van has the trailing arm suspension & rides beautifully on the tar, dirt & corrugations & we think the suspension is excellent. The trailing arm does add about 50mm in the height of the van. But the best guys to speak to are the men from BT.
Cheers Greg
CWhite

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many Thanks
Steve & Greg.
Much appreciated.
KeznGaz08

State:: WA
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Charlie and Jill.
May I ask why you initially thought of having air suspension, but then changed your mind after a factory visit?

Cheers.
CWhite

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:56 pm    Post subject: Which is the better suspension? Reply with quote

G'day KeznGAz08,

Initially we thought that air suspension was the way to go due to softer ride and ability to level from side to side (setup a little bit easier), which has been pushed by salesman from caravan & camping shows that we have been too.

After doing the factory tour, it was pointed out that the air suspension required a lot more maintenance and potentially having to carry a range of spares (including a complete spare pump) in case of breakdowns/failures. It also was mentioned that if an air bag was damaged then the van would ride on the bump stops (at greatly reduced speed) to the next available place for repairs.
Compared to the other suspensions that require minimal maintenance.

We have not made up our minds on what options we believe are right for our set up as we still looking at all option/upgrades, as well as the overall cost of our ultimate van.

Cheers

Charlie & Jill
garaton

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:02 am    Post subject: Suspension types Reply with quote

Hi Charlie and Jill
My van is a 20ft 2006 with the standard simplicity suspension. I find our van travels very well and requires very little maintenance. One bonus with this set up is no shock absorbers are required which can be one thing that seems to let people down, whether it be on a caravan or your tow vehicle. The only very minor thing is occasionally we get some squeaky suspension noise whilst moving around in the van, this is only when dust gets in around the springs etc. Note we don't have stabilizer legs on our van either. I have spoken to an owner with the later coil simplicity suspension and apparently he also got a suspension squeak after dusty conditions. Maybe the squeaky noise is coming from the pivot block rather than the springs themselves. Either way it is a very minor issue. Just thought i would give you some feedback on what goes on out on the road. The later coil type simplicity suspension as well as air type all have shock absorbers in their designs. Whilst i think all the set ups are vert good i personally like our standard simplicity suspension as the less things to go wrong the better.
Cheers
Gary
CWhite

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:17 am    Post subject: Which is the better suspension? Reply with quote

Thanks Gary
Searenity

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Charlie and Jill,
we have a 20' 2009 BT with the Simplicity suspension similar to Gary's set-up.

We agree with Gary except for installing a pair of rear stabilizer legs as all suspensions respond to people movement within the van when parked.

We firmly believe in the principle of "the less complex, the better".

Good luck with your choice.

Des and Bev
I&S

State:: Qld
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We didn't bother getting the rear stabilisers. We thought we could always have them fitted if we wanted them (We lived close to Bushtracker)

After eight years we have rarely missed them and I think if we had them I probably would not bother to put them down each time we stopped.

we're happy with the basic simplicity suspension.

Cheers

Ian
The Hob

State:: QLD
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our van is 13 years old now and never had stabiliser legs. Yes it flexes a little at times but no problem. We do not move around very much once inside the van. As for squeak in the suspension I have found X chocks gets rid of the squeak and ensures we do not run away.
markB

State:: New South Wales
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We agree. Ours is a 20ft 2012 model and we don't have rear stabiliser legs . Like the others, we occasionally get the squeaky noise. We bought a set of X chocks and find that helps eliminate the occasional squeak.

Cheers
Mark
Ricky

State:: QLD
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Charlie & Jill, I have air suspension on a 2017 21ft BT, happy discuss with you if you want to call. 0450175123.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> GENERAL DISCUSSION All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: