STUD PATTERN CHANGE AT A LATER DATE, CAN BE DONE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> Tips on OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT SELECTION FOR NEW VANS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bushtracker
Site Admin

State:: Queensland
Current Bushtracker owner:: Yes
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: STUD PATTERN CHANGE AT A LATER DATE, CAN BE DONE Reply with quote

Hello out there... Helloooo!

Some of you Newbies are stressing about the stud pattern, as you are thinking you may upgrade the tow vehicle at a later date. It is not a problem, costs some $$$ but besides the dough it is not a problem... The two piece hub drum, is big and not like the standard caravan 12" brakes, our two piece hub drum is a pressed on drum like a commercial truck, on a larger bearing hub as our bearings are larger than normal caravans as well...

Looks like this:

Case in point: I have a four ton work trailer, with a little crane on the back, and our suspension. It was built years ago when I wanted to match it up to an old Sahara, so it was six stud. The Sahara is gone, and now it would be nice to match it up to my 100 Series...

So I have to swap out Hub, Drums, Bearings, from the smaller six stud to the fat five stud:

Now, the obvious question is why did I bother? Well this trailer can go out to some remote stations with cargo and such, quite a good little utility beast. And it would be nice to have Mud Terrains on, if it is in wet weather on dirt tracks.. So this is a new set up I sort of like:

Around Town, if the Muddies make too much noise, I can rattle gun them off and swap them with the trailer, back to All Terrains...

Two points here, yes it is over $1000 just parts with all new bearings to do the job, but there are two advantages. First of all upgraded my old suspension to match up with the new tow vehicle. Secondly, I have the option of running a set of really aggressive tyres on the trailer or van, that can be interchanged, changed over, in about a half hour with the All Terrains on the tow vehicle... So I have them in reserve, without suffering the noise all the time while in town. I am partial to this concept, for the "best of both worlds" sort of idea. If you wonder why I had a really aggressive set of Extreme Mud Terrains on my Bushtracker at the Show, this is the reason and I had ATs on the tow vehicle with the MTs in reserve if I needed them.

So for those of you stressing about what stud pattern, yes it is going to cost money, but it can be changed out to suit the new tow vehicle if you want to at a later date.

Kind Regards, out on the trail.....
Darren & Marie

State:: Victoria
Current Bushtracker owner:: No
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This does take the pressure off of us. Marie and I are still a little ways off from ordering the BT and undecided as to what tow vehicle to get as yet. Looking at layout ideas we think it will be 20. Because of the waiting time in this case we may put the cart in front of the horse. Laughing

This gives us more time to peruse all the options regards tow vehicles and see what more reports come on the various new Toyota models.
We really appreciate the ideas on this forum and all the input broadening our perspective on things.

Regards, D&M
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> Tips on OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT SELECTION FOR NEW VANS All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: