16' BUSHTRACKERS, AND MEDIUM SIZED TOW VEHICLES

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> What SIZE OR TYPE OF BUSHTRACKER?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bushtracker
Site Admin

State:: Queensland
Current Bushtracker owner:: Yes
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:43 pm    Post subject: 16' BUSHTRACKERS, AND MEDIUM SIZED TOW VEHICLES Reply with quote

For many, the answer to your question of what size really resides with how large a tow vehicle you end up with. A lot of people make the mistake of doing it in reverse order that they probably should, in that they bought a tow vehicle first and then realized that they really wanted a larger van than the towing capacity of that particular tow vehicle. You would be better off not making this mistake. Come to the Factory for a visit first, organize your van size, and then get a horse to suit the job. You may be thinking a pony is easy to feed, but when you decide you really want a beer wagon, the pony is not much use. The other factor you should consider is that the larger the diesel, the better the fuel economy when towing. The little 2.5 and 3 litre engines fuel economy gets cut in half when towing, the 4 litre and 4.2 litre engine fuel economy goes down by a third when towing, the Ford 7.3 litre diesel engine four really large vans has fuel economy that goes down by less yet when towing, and so on.. The larger diesels are just not working as hard. A Cummins Diesel in a Dodge Ram 4x4 has been reported to get dramatically better fuel economy towing a 21' van, than a Landcruiser for example. Mind you, you do not need that large a tow vehicle or necessarily that large a van, this is just an example.

Also, when you are talking about a tow vehicle in the smaller class that can only tow 2500 kg or less, that is not really a tow vehicle safe with a larger van headed for the Outback. It is really more of a town and country vehicle, for smaller towing jobs. Some models do not even have much of a chassis, so you cannot beef up the suspension to do major towing anyway. In selection of a tow vehicle: It does matter to you, when it comes to the size of van you want for your Lifestyle. The most common size right now is 19' to 21'. Now before you flinch, realize that I am telling you this for your own benefit. I have built 51 second vans for people since we started counting a few years ago, and the predominant issue is size. Now it has not been such a bad thing for them, as all but three that we know of, all turned a profit in selling their vans, such is our reputation. But I am telling you this for your own benefit, as we would rather do it right the first time.

Come and sit in the vans and get a feel for the lifestyle. 19' is the first size that has a good success rate. 16' that you could put behind a town toy tow vehicle, does not have a very good success rate. Of full time travelers it would have only about a 25% success rate, and maybe on 75% with part time travelers. 16' Bushtrackers would be a leading cause of people coming back for a second van.

And long term I do not think you would be happy with a smaller tow vehicle like the Prado and Pajero not only for their towing limit, but strength of their running gear. There is a reason the larger tow vehicle like Nissan 4.2 and Landcruiser has a tonne larger towing limit, and better fuel economy, and increased SAFETY on the highway with the ability to modify the suspension to suit the load. And furthermore, I think the second hand ones are an even better option, with less electronics, more reliable, and about the same money as a new small tow vehicle only much safer and more capable to do the job.

My best advice, come to the Factory, see the Options, and then get the right tow vehicle to suit the job at hand. Do not let the premature choice on tow vehicle handicap your travel plans with the van. "Do it once, Do it right!"

Regards, Ranger....
Wanderer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:23 am    Post subject: So maybe to late for my mate? Reply with quote

So my mate has the wrong 4by and his missus want a island bed. Cant you build him on as big as and still be under the wire?
The missus liked the prado.

Or is the only answer for him get a bigger 4by?

What is the bloke to do
Wanderer
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject: HELLO WANDERER Reply with quote

You can tell your Mate, that he can keep the Prado and STILL get an Island Bed. !!!!!!!!! Surprised

Mind you, if he is successful in his travels I will probably be building him a new van if he travels much..................... But yes, he can get an Island Bed in 16'. However, it has to be in a 2.5 Ton GVM Single Wheel suspension so there is room to get around the foot of the bed....

Good news is, a better aerodynamic rake on the 16' with a standard bed arrangement with the ensuite in the back like a standard larger van layout. It works! But only with the single suspension. And his Prado is limited to about that size. If he takes most of our Optional Equipment that type of van with that 300 kg of gear on board will weigh just under or just over 2000 kg...

He has to be careful how he loads it up, and limit himself to probably 3 water tanks, three batteries and three 125 w solar panels at maximum. With the Prado you really want to stay close to 2000 kg at max, so you can have the cargo capacity to load it up more with personal goods and water... And not go over the 2500 kg limit.

Wanderer, tell your Mate to contact me at Bushtracker for more help.
Regards, LR
mattkurvink
Site Admin

State:: QLD
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:51 am    Post subject: Reservations on the single axle Reply with quote

Hello all,

Personally, I would suggest talking to us before going ahead with the likes of a single axle. There have been a few minor issues with this type of suspension in the past and we would highly recommend the tandem at no extra cost.

There just are some major advantages to how the Tandem version travels, especially on corrugated roads, as it buffers the shock to the van with the load sharing feature. It also travels better in soft ground as it speads the load over twice the area, has twice the braking power with four wheel brakes, and is generally safer in case of major tyre failure.

All this and the added benefit of the resistance to fish tailing or breaking loose on slippery surfaces, and in general I just don't like the idea of over two tonnes on just two wheels. My 17' travels better with a tandem than does a 16' with a single suspension.

Regards,

Matt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> What SIZE OR TYPE OF BUSHTRACKER? All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: