INTRODUCING THE NEW BUSHTRACKER HYBRID LITE....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> What SIZE OR TYPE OF BUSHTRACKER?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bushtracker
Site Admin

State:: Queensland
Current Bushtracker owner:: Yes
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:52 pm    Post subject: INTRODUCING THE NEW BUSHTRACKER HYBRID LITE.... Reply with quote

This is a "Concept Van", a Bushtracker built specifically for the smaller tow vehicles like a Prado, Pajero, and Nissan 3 ltre Automatic sized vehicles that can only tow 2500kg.. This new "Concept Van", is a very roomy 17' that has the look and feel of a larger van, LOADED with gear and still came in at 1980 kg Tare with a very large gear package for its size.. And STILL have the Tandem Load Sharing Suspension and 4 wheel brakes...

Here it is behind our Prado...

The layout makes for a very large van in this size...

This is a very light van for this amount of Optional Equipment. In addition to our Standard Equipment, it has:

TANDEM LOAD SHARING SUSPENSION
FOUR WHEEL BRAKES
FULL ENSUITE WITH VANITY AND HANDBASIN
REMOTE SPARK IGNITION HOT WATER SYSTEM
DUAL POTABLE AND NON-POTABLE WATER SYSTEMS
3 WATER TANKS IN 2 PLUS 1 FORMAT
190 LITRE COMPRESSOR DRIVE FRIDGE/FREEZER UNIT
2 x 130 WATT SOLAR SYSTEM
40 AMP DIGITAL MULTIMETER REGULATOR
AIR CONDITIONING
AUSSIE TRAVELLER AWNING
2 x GRT AGM MAINTENANCE FREE BATTERIES
2 x EXTRA LARGE CARGO DOORS
12V FAN HATCH IN ENSUITE
300mm EXTENDED DRAWBAR
SWIFT STAINLESS AND BLACK STOVE/OVEN/GRILL
DOMETIC DIESEL HEATER WITH TANK & SECOND OUTLET
UPGRADE TO HYBRID LITE CHASSIS
ROH IMPACT ALLOY WHEELS
UPGRADE TO TRUMA GAS / ELECTRIC HWS
HAFELE LIGHT UP DOOR SAFETY HANDLE

Now this is probably the best size of van, with the best equipment list, in a true Off-Road van, in all of Australia at this weight. Without air conditioning it comes in at 1920 kg for a very large full height van in this size. We added air conditioning for the Tanami, Kimberlies, Bungles W.A. road trip tests.

This is a very exciting new Bushtracker Concept, and there are some Ground Rules for this Topic:

1) Engineering will not be released, until it's Debut at the Brisbane Show in June 2009. Any leak of engineering details on this Forum will be deleted so please respect this. This is Proprietary Information, and we do not want it to be copied by our so called Competitors. So Please do not ask for more specific details on engineering and construction. More will be released in due course. There will be more in the R&D Category in the Owners Section..

2) It will be shown from March, earliest Delivery right now is October. We still have a few modifications and testing to complete, and the Debut to the Public as I said will be in June at the Brisbane Show...

3) This is specifically for the smaller tow vehicles that cannot go to an ATM of over 2500 kg loaded. This suits the bill, better than anything else out there on the market. More coming.....

Regards from the lone Ranger
B and F

State:: NSW
Current Bushtracker owner:: No
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi - wow, can I say this seems very exciting - we will await further details as time goes on.. after release, will you have a DVD of the trip?

Yes, absolutely, and we will Post notice of it here on the Forum of course Wink

Dreaming about SKI-ing in the not too distant future....
Flipp'n Lorry

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice, I think that will hit the target market very well.
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a picture, the new Bushtracker Hybrid Lite in the Red Centre of Australia on the way to the Kimberlies...

It is the biggest most capable van to put behind the Prado, or Pajero, or Nissan 3 ltr Automatic. Mind you, I still say you are better off with a Second Hand Landcruiser, and believe it or not the Landcruiser will get better fuel economy and allow you a larger Lifestyle in a bigger van. But if you have made the mistake and bought a new Prado or Pajero or Nissan Auto, we now have the van for you.

I say mistake, when it comes down to this purpose. Actually, I don't know that I would have one around town either, when for only a few inches longer you get more protection, more power, and more towing capacity, and better fuel economy when towing; with a second hand Landcruiser.

But, people have their reasons for doing what they do.
And if you have chosen the smaller towing capacity vehicle,
We now have a Bushtracker for you..

And it is semi amphibious, same Prado, funny light off the water... Laughing

And when you are not using it, you can unhook it,
and it is so well trained:
It will go out to do Mustering for you..
Laughing Laughing

The beauty is, for that size of vehicle, you still have over 500 kg of capacity to load aboard and still be under your 2500 kg limitation..
That is the Niche for this particular Bushtracker, just for you. Wink

Best Regards,
Steven Gibbs,
Director, Bushtracker
Grumblebum and the Dragon

State:: Qld/NSW
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks a great concept Steve. Well done

John & Dragon

Grumpy? Whose's grumpy - not the Dragon!!
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Due to enquires, we are releasing the current prices on the Hybrid Lite...
It is more expensive due to some exotic engineering, but here you go:

17 foot hybrid lite Bushtracker

Complete with all standard inclusions as listed per the regular Bushtracker brochure and website plus the following:

• Full ensuite including fibreglass moulded shower / toilet enclosure with cassette toilet, gas HWS with remote ignition, hand basin and waterproof lockers
• 3 x 80L water tanks (240L capacity)
• 190L Waeco Coolmatic 12V Danfoss compressor drive fridge
• 2 x 130W High grade solar panels installed
• 40AMP digital solar regulator / power management system
• Provision for Air conditioning
• Aussie Traveller Coolabah awning
• 2 x 100 AH GRT AGM maintenance free batteries
• Xantrex 40AMP lightweight switchmode programmable battery charger
• 2 x Large external cargo doors (1 each side)
• 300mm extended drawbar
• Swift stove with oven & grill in stainless & black
• Upgrade to lightweight engineering and off-road chassis

Total price $ 97,540.00

The following items are available as optional accessories and I have given you the weight added:

• Upgrade from provision only to full Air conditioning (50kg) $ 2040.00
• Upgrade to potable and non-potable split water system $ 700.00
• 12V externally vented range hood $ 500.00
• Upgrade to A & E 9000 roll out awning $ 350.00
• Outdoor shower unit $ 390.00
• Upgrade from large to extra large cargo door $ 350.00 ea
• External roof hatch with 12V exhaust fan in ensuite $ 375.00
• Heavy duty jerry can holders (max 3) $ 80.00 ea
• Dometic diesel forced air heater with 2 x outlets installed (10kg) $ 2580.00
o Upgrade to heated towel rail in ensuite $ 195.00
o Upgrade to digital temperature control with 7 day timer $ 165.00
• Mirror in bedroom area $ 150.00
• Illuminated LED entry handle $ 120.00
• Upgrade to ROH impact alloy wheels $ 850.00

Weight specifications

Tare weight: 1920kg
ATM (Carrying capacity): 2500kg

I hope this helps to answer your queries. Any further questions, feel free to ask.

Kind regards, Steven Gibbs, Director
Annem62

State:: WA
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:49 pm    Post subject: Hybrid Lite Reply with quote

Looks good Steve.

So glad to see you are actually going to market it. Surprised

Still on our wish list.
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to hear from you Annem62, WELCOME TO THE FORUM, post Number One! Jump in, the water is fine....

The whole exercise is based on the concept that some people have made the wrong selection in a tow vehicle, and for one reason or another like financial or political, they cannot change over. This is a way to have a reasonable Bushtracker experience and Lifestyle, even with a smaller vehicle like the Prado or Pajero with their 2500 kg limit...

But thank you for the thumbs up. Now jump into the Forum and sound off.. Laughing

Regards stg
Jigalong

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The whole exercise is based on the concept that some people have made the wrong selection in a tow vehicle"

What about people who just want better performance than they get towing a fairly heavy std BT? A TD Cruiser with a lighter van - safer overtaking etc - great.

Now if I could get one of these new ones in 15 ft I would be in heaven - as long as they still pretty tough. I can't see that happening though.

Jigalong.
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Jigalong,

Bear with me, I have had a couple of glasses of red, (Duh, it is 8:30 at night Shocked Laughing ) but see if I can get this concept out:

If you have a reasonable sized mid range tow vehicle like a full sized Toyota Landcruiser, you would not notice any practical difference in towing between say the 17' Hybrid Lite and a 19' Bushtracker. If you have a good mid sized tow vehicle, the practical difference in actual travel in all conditions is very small. But the Lifestyle of the larger van, in strength, in layout, in storage, in all aspects of Lifestyle is HUGE..

This Hybrid Lite, is to allow people with a smaller capacity tow vehicle to still enjoy a reasonable degree of the Bushtracker Lifestyle. If you yourself have a larger capacity tow vehicle, when you had a look at the differences, I doubt you would settle for less of a Lifestyle if you did not have the handicap of a lower capacity tow vehicle. If you see the difference in the living quarters and storage, you will know what I mean.

Now if you were just a short trip person with a mission like fossicking gemstones and gettin home to cut them, or short trips fishing, then maybe. But most want to be able to wander this vast country at will, and the truth is the successful size for larger scale travels is in the 19-21' range. The point I am making is in practice you would hardly notice the difference in say 17' to 19', but the extra space and capacity and storage and room is vastly superior.

Check it out for yourself and you will know what I mean. This is engineered for people that cannot change tow vehicles for one reason or another, so it is a specially built van to stay under their 2500 kg limits when loaded. Most who could go larger to say 19' would, I mean probably 95% would..

Regards, stg
Jigalong

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

STG,

I understand what you are saying.

I guess I am in the 5%, because I travel alone to out of the way places gold fossicking, fishing and exploring for aboriginal art.

If I could get hold of a 14 foot full height BT, I would sell my 16 footer and buy it. I guess my needs are more for a bullet proof, but more nimble off-roader.

Cheers,

Jigalong.
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright Jigalong,
But here is a perspective from someone watching over a 1000 Bushtracker Owners and the results.

14', no one, zero, nada, none of the original Owners have stayed with a 14' Bushtracker in 13 years, they were all sold on.

In 16', less than 25% that wanted to travel full time, have kept their vans, most came back for a larger Bushtracker. Only 75% of a success rate staying with their van over 2 years, if they did part time travel on short trips, and many of them came back for a second and larger Bushtracker.

I am not sure we would be doing you a favour building you a 14'...
In any case the 17' Hybrid Lite, is better, and will not weigh much more. There is an artical coming out in a major magazine in about six weeks, showing some of the secrets to it's virtues of large and light.. From a real practical sense, it is the smallest one we should make, in the best interests of Bushtracker Owners, judging from the results..

Regards,
Steven Gibbs,
Director, Bushtracker

Last edited by Bushtracker on Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, here it is.... And it will change the Industry.... Again... Rolling Eyes

The new Bushtracker Hybrid Lite, main weight savings advantage for a larger van towed by the Prado and Pajero weight limited vehicle, is a huge weight savings in the chassis...

Here is the surprise: It is a new Transport designed chassis construction in a special temper of aluminium that takes this kind of work... This accounts for the larger part of the weight savings, and it is more expensive than the steel chassis at $3900 extra with not only the alloy chassis, but the alloy frame on the watertight door, and the heavy alloy wheel carriers. It does cost more, but this Engineering gives approximately a 250 kg savings in the chassis alone...

There are some other tricks in the Engineering, but the big surprise is the chassis so the smaller towing capacity vehicles can have a modicum of the Bushtracker Lifestyle in a reasonable size.. We have taken two trips with this Bushtracker, and our newest DVD will be available at the Shows with the last trip to the Kimberlies.

The article is in Caravan World page 62, April Edition, enjoy..

Regards from the lone Ranger, on the trail again...
Bushie

State:: Qld
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,
This hybrid lite seems to suit me down right to the garound. I am a mad gold fossicker, Minelab gear. I go out into remote places and scramble up hard banks and creeks to get to areas most cannot reach.
Steve, I will look you up at the Brisbane show when it meets the public eye, mine. I need something a little more compact and light, not because I could not go larger but because I go to the extreme locations chasing the gold source and this looks like the ticket. I will email you for the new dvd to see it in action, and i guess present the receipt when I order a Bushtracker for the rebate. cool.
Minelab is the way to go, and bushtracker for living good on the way and there and back again. Shes a beaut mate!
Bushie
Jette

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:13 pm    Post subject: Sydney 4wd Super Show Reply with quote

I was just wondering if this Bushtracker will be on display at the Sydney Show in April? Smile

Hello Jette, WELCOME TO THE FORUM Exclamation , post number 1

Short answer is no, those will all be Customer Vans for Delivery in the Sydney area. However, you can see it here by arrangement any day, or the Brisbane Show in June... Regards, stg
Jette

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a pity Exclamation We will come and have a look though at the vans you do have. It will be a little while before we can update to a van but it is never too early to start looking at what is available. Your vans are certainly of great interest to us. Very Happy

Cheers Jette
Bushie

State:: Qld
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will make a trip down to the Brisbane Show to see you there. This suits my gold Minelab trips down to the ground Laughing
Serious though, I get into tight spots and tough country and this size and weight will be an advantage in serious off road work to get into the back country a fit further.

See you in Brisbane in few weeks! Bushie
mattkurvink
Site Admin

State:: QLD
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:59 am    Post subject: Hybrid Lite brochure Reply with quote

Hello all!

We are now in the final two days in the lead up now to the Brisbane Caravan show! As you have read in this posting, we are releasing this van for its first public display at the show. Here is a PDF of the brochure available to download:

Bushtracker Hybrid Lite Brochure

Hopefully see you there!

Cheers!

Matt
Mobi Condo

State:: South Australia
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drool!
Terrain to Travel
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bushtracker Hybrid Lite Demo Unit is now for sale at a discount...

17' Hybrid lite as displayed at Brisbane caravan show

Base price $ 97,540.00

Has had the following upgrades added:

Air conditioning $ 2,040.00
Dual water system $ 700.00
Rangehood $ 500.00
2 x Upgrade to XL Doors $ 700.00
External hatch in ensuite $ 375.00
3 x Jerry can holders $ 240.00
Dometic diesel heater $ 2,580.00
Heated towel rail $ 195.00
7 day timer $ 165.00
Mirror in bedroom $ 150.00
Illuminated handle $ 120.00
ROH alloy rims $ 850.00

Net price $ 106,155.00

Demo allowance -$ 6,255.00

Total Price Now $ 99,900.00
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This Hybrid Lite is now sold,
But we have more on the way.... Wink

And.... There will be some surpises at next years Shows.

No, of course I cannot talk about them this early, but you will be then.. Ha!

Regards, and on the Road... With the best way to go... Bushtracker!

surfy53

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We ordered an 18' Hybrid Lite back in Nov '09 and hope to take delivery in mid April. As many people do, we bought the tug first, a Prado T/Diesel. When we started hunting for a van we knew that we had gone about it A about face. We could have upgraded to a bigger Cruiser but we both liked the styling and feel of the Prado. I know, I know, its just a car and we would have had more options open to us with a 100 series. Well we are sticking to our guns and we WILL lighten the load to suit. However.........if the need arises we will have no hesitation in going bigger all round. The fitout of our van will be great, a few extra bells and maybe a whistle, just get the thing built, our lives are on hold until delivery. One thing we relize, perfection takes time.
Chris.
newbies

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:48 pm    Post subject: How many Hybrids are out there? Reply with quote

Hi there!

We have been impressed by the hybrid description on the website, and wonder how many of these have hit the road yet? We suspect not a lot, but would be interested how many are on order/being built. Although we have a 100S T/D tug, capable of pulling a significantly heavier van, there must be some advantages in the lower weight, although obviously at the expense of some factors (e.g. flexibility of layout; room; less power generation for extended off-road; etc.). Is there any restriction on off-road capability, or loss of strength or durability because of the chassis design (an aluminium ladder bolted to the standard steel A frame and side rails, I believe?)? Any advice or comments would be appreciated...we are still wanna-be B/T owners at this stage.

Mike and Helen
surfy53

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike and Helen, don't be wanna be's......sign on the dotted line and you won't be disappointed.
This is coming from someone still awaiting delivery.
C.
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Newbies,

What I have to say may come as a bit of a surprise. In truth, the Hybrid Lite was designed as a "stop gap" for people that really made the wrong decision on a tow vehicle in the first place.

In the city, maybe... Maybe a Prado type vehicle makes sense. Not to me, as it is only about 100mm shorter and 100mm narrower or less, than the full sized Toyota, but Salesmen do take advantage by pushing this concept. I think they unscrupulously take advantage of Women in particular, with this "easy to park and get around town" concept. But that is just my opinion.

The truth is the Prado type vehicles, Rodeo, Pajero, and the rest, are better on fuel economy but ONLY when not towing. When towing, one major rule that most often proves true, is the larger the diesel the better the fuel economy... Our Prado towing got WORSE fuel economy than Landcruisers as the smaller engine was pushed flat out to do the job, where the larger diesel was not working as hard and your foot was not into it to the limits...

Many people, make the mistake of buying a comfy new vehicle, with the city perspective in mind. Then, they go look at vans and run into a brick wall, as these little vehicles have a maximum towing limit of 2500 kg. Even at that they do not do the job all that well. Another tragic one is Nissan 3 ltr AUTO at 2500 kg again. Cute around town, but hopeless as tow vehicle in the Bush as reported by Owners... Anyway, because they all want about 400-500 kg of water, toys, food, clothes, general cargo, they are restricted to about a 2 ton van at maximum.. Hence the stop gap of the Hybrid Lite.

So, we built a Bushtracker that suited their needs, within the limitations of their tow vehicles. In truth, most that came to Bushtracker saw the larger and better equipped Bushtracker Caravans, and decided to upgrade their tow vehicle. Unfortunately I think some cannot do this, for economic reasons, or personal reasons, and hence the Hybrid Lite.

We have only sold a few of them so far, as the 17' Hybrid Lite interior was a bit compromised in the bed area of the layout. People wanted more, and most decided to upgrade their tow vehicle as I have said. So here is some big news: We have done a re-design, and are going to Debut an 18' Hybrid lite at this years Shows. One is already built, and I will be releasing pictures and the Island Bed layout in the next few days.

As to larger ones than 18', I do not believe the compromise is worth it due to flexing and work hardening of the chassis. Anyone that does it will come to grief in time in off-road work. I am happy with the structure and strength of the design in 18' and I think this will be a hit. Look for the release and pictures within the week..

Now, it costs more, and it is not recommended for larger vehicles that could put it through larger stresses. I would not recommend the Hybrid Lite for anyone that has a full sized tow vehicle. It is not worth it, just to save a couple of hundred kilos over a proper galvanized steel chassis. It is only for those people with "towing weight challenged vehicles". It gives them the ability to experience the Bushtracker Lifestyle, even though they chose the wrong vehicle in the first place...

Kind Regards, on the road with the Ranger.....
newbies

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Steve. What you say makes sense (as usual). However, our curiosity is now aroused - we look forward eagerly to seeing photos of the new 18' Hybrid. Darn pity we're in Perth and (we expect) your participation in caravan shows is restricted to the east coast centres. As a rough guide, what is the price differential likely to be between a 'regular' 18 foot BT and the new 18 foot Hybrid (e.g. $10k, $20k, etc)? We appreciate the Hybrid will have fewer goodies as standard, but this aside, assume the same level of optional add-ins. Or is this like asking "how long is a piece of string"?

Kind regards,

Mike and Helen
Brambo

State:: Victoria
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to the Caravan and Camping Supershow at Caulfield Racecourse last Sunday with my wife and step son. We wandered around a little looking at the pretty displays of various makes of vans, pop tops, fifth wheelers and camper trailers. We were there for 30 minutes or so, before we visited the Bushtracker display. To my wife's embarrassment , I was crawling under each Bushtracker yelling, "honey, have a look at the difference in the suspension and chassis etc etc...."

I'm sure all she heard was , "blah, blah, blah......."

After I crawled out from underneath, and brushed myself off, all the other vans became insignificant.

Bushtracker certainly do build a "tank"! Steve, you and your crew should be extremely proud of the product you produce. Forget the price, it's all about "going the distance"!
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brambo,
I thought about it for awhile, and I just cannot let it go without a comment. You would not believe how nice it is talking with someone that really does know what they are talking about... The fact that you immediately swung under the van, rather than looking at the curtains, makes you my kind of Bloke.... Ha! Laughing

In truth, I think we have the nicest interior finish as well.. But I really like your sense of humour. I can see it right now, the glossed over eyes, listening to you rave on about mechanical stuff she is not interested in or understands, blah blah blah... It would be that way to my Wife too... Laughing Laughing Laughing

Newbies,
There are several people that have Ordered the 18' Hybrid Lite now in the Production Schedule. Any time you get around to coming out here, we will probably have something to show you in that Hybrid Lite but call ahead so we can reserve the time for you.. There will be one in the Brisbane SuperShow in June for sure. I know I am always too busy, but one year, maybe next, I will tow one over and ship one over to the Perth Show. Not that I really need to, but I have not been over there yet myself... Embarassed And People fly out nearly every week to Bushtracker from W.A. It is the least I can do, and maybe enjoy a trip as well. I might even store a couple of vans there and take the long way home.... Wink

Never know...

Regards from the lone Ranger, speaking to you over the Telstra Bigpond Gateway Wireless Router, as I out at the Pacific Coast Reining Horse Championships with three of my horses. One for a Professional to compete, two for me.

"Gunners Davinci Code", even though is not quite ready for the Futurity (a baby) and my Veteran horse "Yulgilbar Oaks Playboy"...

Gunner .................................................................... Playboy, sliding to a stop...

Being one of the oldest Competitors, I may not win, but it won't be for lack of trying... Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> What SIZE OR TYPE OF BUSHTRACKER? All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: