FISHING, BOATS, INFLATABLES, LOADERS, KAYAKS, ADVICE / TIPS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> Tips on OFF ROAD CAMPING AND HOBBIES
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bushtracker
Site Admin

State:: Queensland
Current Bushtracker owner:: Yes
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:24 am    Post subject: FISHING, BOATS, INFLATABLES, LOADERS, KAYAKS, ADVICE / TIPS Reply with quote

Here is a place to share your advice or Tips and questions,
What you do,
What gear you have,
What loader you use,
What boat,
What Kayak,
and so on....

I have a trend lately of seeing the use of a few inflatables. While I did this myself, with "reef walker ribs" added on the bottom of a large Zodiac, I abandoned the idea. Why? Not only is oyster shell and mangrove staking a problem, but I also do not like them in Croc country. In all fairness, the ease of storage was lost on me by not having a hard bottom dinghy. But that is just my own choice and you need to take those factors into consideration. At least you need to add the hardbottom ribs of reef walkers so you can go up on oystershell beaches, and be careful around mangrove stumps and stakes... Crocs, that is personal, but anyway I abandoned the inflatable idea myself. Personally, I will rent a boat when I want one for now.

For fishermen there are very practical power loading systems for the alloy boats on top, and that is the way I would go if not travelling with horses like I do... Main Tip from the lone Ranger: Just make sure your GVM will take the load on your Tow Vehicle... OK?
bindi

State:: Qld
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love kayak fishing, been doing it 5 years now [could be longer] and the sport has exploded since then, it's an old style sit-in , foot control rudder and two rod holders up front, caught some big fish from this thing, will not come off the tug in croc country Shocked , you can sneak up on fish, caught a 63cm flathead in 18" of water with a little lure [Strike-Pro Pygmy] and a 2kg rig.
niknoff

State:: WA
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We travel with a 3.7mt Horizon Tinny & 15hp Yamaha, the motor & collapsable trailer go on the draw bar of the van, the boat on the racks on the vehicle. I like to have my cake & eat it too, So I recently bought a Hobie 12si Kayak with mirage drive [pedals] it is an inflatable and is excellent. I wouldn't use it in Croc country or outside the reef at Ningaloo for example but it has proven to be great fun & very stable fishing platform.
07' 19' BushTracker
2015 VX 200, 3800kg GVM Upgrade
Lindsay

State:: NSW
Current Bushtracker owner:: No
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be interested in others views on foldup boats. Portabote is the only one I know of but are there any others? They appear to have the weight advantage, especially for transporting on your tow vehicle's roof. I am not interested in traversing large sections of open water or fishing.
beatit

State:: QLD
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G'day Lindsay,

I have a tinnie and have looked these foldaboats as well but what turned me off them was that most of my boating is in croc country and something big and solid has a lot more appeal. The other drawback from memory was the HP capacity was limited and I have tried a couple of motors with 15HP being about right for 2 and some current.

Tinnies are pretty tough and I noticed that one of the manufacturers is making a canoe/boat tinnie called a tinoo. This seems to have a weight advantage and the benefit of metal between you and the snapping handbags. The picture I saw had someone standing up in it fishing and I think it weighed something like 40Kg - maybe another alternative?

Kind regards

I have seen a few of the folding boats, Porta-Bote Foldabote or whatever it is called. In truth I cannot remember one that stayed with the things. All rounders are using Tinnies on the tow vehicle 50 to 1 to alternatives like inflatables or porta-boats... Having abandoned the inflatable Zodiac with reef-walkers added, myself I would go a tinnie on the roof. Most places I would like a boat would be in Croc country. The other Director is the same, alloy tinnie, like most. Cheers, lone Ranger
naustin

State:: South Australia / QLD
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last year I went Barra fishing on the Coleman River north of Kurumba. It was my first trip fishing in true croc counrty and we used my mates foldaboat. We fished all day all week in this boat and I was surprised by how well it went. One drawback is that you are limited by motor size so we couldn't travel as far in a day as others who had tinnies with 25 horse motors. It cedrtainly is very portable. I wouldn't go on the river at night in this thing though.

BT with Boat on top

The mighty foldaboat

I had to put this one in Laughing Laughing

Neil
Windrider

State:: Qld
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Neil,

The Barra looks a beaut' mate, congrat's, but as for the fold-a-boat, having many years ago seen the bite marks left on a strong and very stable tinnie - you wouldn't get me out in one in croc country. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Cheers
John
Grumblebum and the Dragon

State:: Qld/NSW
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I am 'over' big heavy tinnies on the roof and lugging around trailers and big motors.

My boat and motor lives 'in' the back of the cruiser. It's a 2.85m Zodiac Fastroller with an inflatable planing hull. Now over 5 years old and still regularly used. It is licensed for three people comes with three and five year warranties on the seams and fabric respectively. It has permanently mounted wide injection moulded wheels are are fully retractable making it a breeze to move over the sands - I have even towed it down a beach.

Mine has marine ply flooring but the latest ones have a very good inflatable floor. I run it with a 5hp Mariner and one-up it will do 23kph in relatively calm conditions. In a steep chop it can get a bit wet with the wind on a forward quarter..... but good fun in the surf Laughing Laughing

Mine has been bumped and scraped - including on caral to no effect. Crocs? An urban myth in my opinion, but I only lived and fished in big croc country for 25 years. Sure if you parked it every day in the same dam place you would attract some croc attention eventually.

A big croc would have you out of a 12 foot tinnie just as quick as my zodiac Surprised Shocked

Pictures to follow

Grumpy? Whose's grumpy - not the Dragon!!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully some pictures re the above post - this machine gives me humbug sometimes Shocked

Whoooo eeee Laughing Shocked Very Happy 110 cm and fat as a pig. Got some piccies and let her go.

Having some trouble with the upload/ brouse button not functioning to add more images

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try again....

110cm and fat as a pig.... took the piccies and released - and I'm 6' 5"

This is the Zody At McGowans Island - croc country

Kalajar Gorge nr Kalumburu

Saddletail Snapper - Yum Yum

Bushtracker
Site Admin

State:: Queensland
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of our Bushtracker Owners sent this in to me...

Mind you "Catch and Release" for sure, but wow, WHAT A FISH...!

116 cm Barra...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> Tips on OFF ROAD CAMPING AND HOBBIES All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: