POOR REPAIR JOBS BY DONE OTHERS, WHAT TO LOOK FOR....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> Tips On Buying SECOND HAND BUSHTRACKERS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bushtracker
Site Admin

State:: Queensland
Current Bushtracker owner:: Yes
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:50 pm    Post subject: POOR REPAIR JOBS BY DONE OTHERS, WHAT TO LOOK FOR.... Reply with quote

Hello Friends,
Here is a good example of sub-standard repairs. I am guessing, but would say this is a full re-skin from hail damage or something similar. Now why I am pointing it out is you need to be aware of the condition and especially if there are questionable leak spots showing...

Here are the give-aways that catch your eye:
Like the upper fridge vent missing, they sheeted right over it... Duh... Rolling Eyes

Like sealant missing in the ends black yacht rub rail.

Like the wrong joining method in the roof sheets, this is a Pittsburg joint that just sticks in...

The right joint is a interlocking joint, filled with Sika, and then hammered over.... This is ours done correctly below...

Like a gap, poor window installation, no colour coded caulk in place...

Like poor caulking, poor finish, mess left everywhere:

Here is another van, shocking poor result, very inadequate caulking re-assembly from a reskin after hail....

On examination we found the following repairs done on the outside, possibly to a reskin on one side and part of the top due to hail damage.. The wrong materials were used to put the corner mould back on, and a very poor job of it in our opinion...

Big holes, bog job of it, poor quality, and not our material..

Here is what it is SUPPOSED to look like, properly done in 20 year Sikaflex marine sealant... Below

See the difference, a smooth, clean job of it... Solid marine sealant..

CIL Insurance will pay to Ship a Bushtracker to have a major insurance job done. No one else would do the same quality job as the Builder. Work of the calibre shown here, is not up to the Bushtracker Standard..

I am only trying to look after you.. This Forum is in "Your Best Interests"

Cheers, stg

Last edited by Bushtracker on Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look Friends, you need to slide under and look at what you are buying, OK?

Unfortunately this is a Bushtracker bought second hand, and the Owner bought something that was probably on the beach and it looks abused. That is not what I am showing you.. This is important: Now what I am drawing your attention to is that this older van, has obviously had the springs or pivot block attended to, and not renewed the lock nuts.

Forget all the rust, because new lock nuts were not put on, this person was about to have a spring pack drop on the highway, WHICH COULD HAVE PUT IT UP THROUGH THE FLOOR OR TURNED OVER THE VAN AT HIGH SPEED.. Look how far the spring hanger bolts had undone themselves, this was about to be an accident on the highway.

This is VERY dangerous. You need to replace the lock nuts or if not available you need to put on lock washers under the nuts. This is a DISASTER just waiting to happen....

Also the emergency brake cable fouling, instead of being run through holder shown at the top... Very unprofessional work here..

Best regards from the Cowboy, Admin, half a Horseman... Just trying to look after you...
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Friends, Ugly old Cowboy here, half a Horseman, all of a Bushtracker Man... Laughing

I have a little more time these days, so I will update some of the Topics as necessary in an effort to take better care of you all. Some of these second hand Bushtrackers can be 10-15 years old, and you particularly need to pay attention to some of these Tips BEFORE you pick it up for a long haul home. Due to the quality of Bushtrackers, I have seen them go through three Owners and more than three times around Australia and over 100,000 to 200,000 kilometers and some think more. In this case I need to further emphasis this last post- As the accident has just happened...

Unfortunately, we have just had a Bushtracker in W.A. drop the front spring hanger, which dropped the spring pack down and dug it in and bent the main leaf back and did some other damage... It could have been worse, as in the right condtions it might have been able to turn over the van if it was a bit out of balance as it was the leading spring pack hanger and it dropped down and dug in...

Given the age of the van, it is about 99% sure than the center pivot blocks will have been changed out and or spring packs serviced. The cause of the mishap is about 99.99% chance that someone has changed out the Pivot blocks, or re-worked the springs, and reused the same lock nuts and/or not torqued them to specifications.

CRITICAL ENGINEERING: Locknuts/ Nylocks should really only be used once. In a pinch, maybe twice and torqued up hard and replaced later, or add lock washers, but from an Engineering specification the critical Nylocks on a Suspension should only be used once. We never know the Service history and so we automatically change them out to new on EVERY van we drop spring packs on..

This van may have had spring packs serviced and/or pivot blocks changed out in the Bush somewhere a couple of times. If you are unsure, I would change the lock nuts and torque them on all four hangers, and that is what I advise in trying to look after you...

Kind regards, Admin
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is another one, probably was a window leak or a clearance light leak, and the smeared silicone all over the front of the van in a rude guesswork fix...

I really hate to see this kind of work..

Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is another....

The repair in W.A. was so shockingly done, roof put back in pieces, that the whole roof was leaking and stained a lot of panelling. It was in such a poor state of repair, the Owner sold it on rather than battle...

The new Owner, shipped it back to us for a proper repair. It was done so poorly, we actually have to pull the whole roof off to re-sheet it. Insulation and wiring a mess, interior panelling a mess, what a shame...

This is a HUGE job, to save the Bushtracker from literally being written off..

Kind regards, on the Road Ranger....
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Friends,

Cowboy here, the mad Scientist and half a Horseman at Bushtracker...
Look, we have another sad one in here right now... HORRIBLE mess... They had a re-skin maybe tree scrape or something, andyway a big job done in Caboolture, with repair of the ceiling as the roof leaked... They completely BUTCHERED the Bushtracker...

The job was done so poorly, that Insurance has now shipped it to us for full rectification. It requires about $18,000 to fix it up... This un-named Butcher Shop in Caboolture, actually cut the roof in three sections to remove it.. Now that was STUPID, but besides that, they just tacked it back together with rivets and screws and stuck it on. It leaked worse when they finished, than before they started. The whole roof had to be replaced. They actually ran 240 volt wiring down through raw holes in the frame without putting in conduit. It was a horrible butcher job.

Lesson to be learned? If it is a major job, insist your Insurance Company send the van back to us. We have had another one just as bad this year, that was finally shipped back to us from PERTH.. Shocked Shocked The job was done so badly, it was shocking. Other so called repairers do not even know how we build, let alone be able to do adequate repairs..

Kind regards, and operating in "Your Best Interests"... Cowboy
Ajay and Fletch

State:: Vic
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G'day Cowboy,

Our BT is on order and we will take delivery in the first week of November and can hardly wait!! It is without a doubt that your repairs are second to none! No-one, but no-one can repair a BT the way the talented boys at Kunda Park do a repair. Take note all.

I built my own first van and BT almost come up to the standard............ no, they exceeded the standard I set for my own van, they build one heck of a van.

Regards ... Ajay and Fletch.
notes1952

State:: NSW
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If buying a second hand I would strongly recommend checking the VIN with Bushtracker for any known history.

Maz and I recently looked at a van undergoing repairs that had been rolled and bought at auction. It was a mess to say the least with extensive water damage and who knows what structural damage was covered up.

The VIN of this one was 6T9T21AAH30AYX007
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> Tips On Buying SECOND HAND BUSHTRACKERS All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: