SMALLER BUDGET DUAL CAB DIESELS, LIFTING THEIR GAME... GOOD

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> Tips on TOW VEHICLES
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bushtracker
Site Admin

State:: Queensland
Current Bushtracker owner:: Yes
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:07 am    Post subject: SMALLER BUDGET DUAL CAB DIESELS, LIFTING THEIR GAME... GOOD Reply with quote

A new category of Tow Vehicle is an emerging market on its own. For people that want a Dual Cab, and need a Ute, or need the tax write off of a Novated Lease against a business or property of a commercial vehicle class rated to carry at least 1 ton.... The Nissan Navara and Holden Rodeo 4x4 Dual Cab Diesels, are now rated to tow 3000 kg...

Some of you need or want a dual cab for the 4 doors and seating for people or dogs or cargo... And a ute bed with a canopy CERTAINLY has advantages. For those budget minded, these vehicles are going for under $40 k ! And I believe have automatics in both available !!! This is a new class of vehicle that is going to be attractive to some of you...

FOR A SMALLER VAN, 16-17- EVEN 18, with care packing it up and not going over the top even 18' is OK as the average 18 with most of our Optional Equipment (300-400 kg) on board will weigh 2300 kg... This new category of Tow Vehicle will do the job..

Mind you, my opinion? For safety and power, and strength of running gear? I would opt for a second hand Landcruiser or 4.2 liter Turbo Diesel Nissan Patrol for the same money or less. I think the larger class of tow vehicle suspension and running gear is just safer and longer lasting.

HOWEVER, I understand that other people have different needs. The advantage of this new class of vehicle is about four fold:

1) It is new, new Warranty, and security for people that are not as mechanically adept and may not want to risk buying second hand Toyotas and Nissans.. Mind you, I have seen Toyotas with 600,000 kms on them, and my own 61 Series with minor upgrades is like new with no oil leaks or consumption of same at 350,000... (My Son has it) But nevermind, some people just want new for personl preferences..

2) The four door ute, has more cargo room in the back and the availability of canopies makes it an attractive issue as the wagons have little cargo space unless you put the rear seats down... And the ute is just an attractive option for dirty cargo in the bed..

3) Novated Lease, is for 1 ton vehicles for tax advantage status.... Tax write off a business...

4) Novated Lease tax benefit is also on vavailable on new vehicles.. As far as I know, but check with your Accountant for the current status..

Any way, for smaller vans at 18' and under, this is certainly a new category of vehicles, like the Rodeo in our DVD... Nothing wrong with that!

Regards, and up with the news, Ranger is scouting the trail.....
Bushtracker
Site Admin

State:: Queensland
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This Post is a little out of date.... Like what, 5 years ago? Laughing

Some of the smaller Dual Cabs are lifting their game, and they are considerable cheaper than the Landcruisers. While the overwhelming majority of Owners are still opting for the 200 Series, and some with the Workmate, and now a few with the new Dual Cab Landcruiser Ute, there is a new vehicle that is worth noting... While the options in a lower cost bracket of say $25,000 cheaper than the new Landcruiser, for those considering more inexpensie options like even a second hand Landcruiser or Nissan Patrol or something, this is worth noting: The new 2013 Ford Ranger XLT

It has 3.2 lt 5 cylinder Diesel with 6 speed Automatic Transmission. 3500kg Tow Capacity.. I have a solid empirical "real time evaluation" for you. This report comes from Philip, that just towed a 20' Show van all the way to Melbourne and back for that Show, with my old 100 Series, restored years ago. Then Philip towed the same van to the Mackay Show and back with this Ford Ranger XLT, and was favorably impressed. Here is his "Trip Report" with a very heavily equipped and loaded up Bushtracker:

Just completed a 1900km round trip to Mackay towing our 20 foot Show van with a Tare weight of 2860kg . With water and other gear approx 3100kg.
I have also towed the same caravan to the Melbourne Caravan show with Steve’s 100 Series Turbo Diesel Landcrusier. The power and torque are about the same for both vehicles
In my option, I felt that the Ranger towed the 20 footer easier than the 100 series. Some of that may be due to having a longer wheel base compared to Landcrusier combined with its 6 speed transmission.
Fuel economy averaged out at around 18 lt per 100 km compared to 21 lt per 100 km on the Cruiser

The plus
• Easier towing and better fuel economy
• Built in blue tooth for telephone with controls on the steering wheel
• Dual climate control
• Fixed cap servicing
The minus
• Small fuel tank – range is less than 400km
• Stiff suspension – made for a harder ride on bumpy roads
• Harder to park than the cruiser due to its overall length
If I owned it I would look to fit
• a larger fuel tank – for better range
• Spot lights – they could do with a bit more light at night
• Maybe a snorkel – Air intake appears to be at the front down low. Would help in dust and water crossings
In review, this is the latest in the increasing range of dual cabs utes with a 3.5 tonne tow capacity. For clients looking to the traditional 3.5 tonne tow rigs this is another option and at less than $60k it seems to be priced right

Regards

Philip
schommys

State:: NSW
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had my new 2013 Ford Ranger XL 3.2L Auto since Feb. and I wouldn't swap it. It is really a great ute. Have only towed my BT a short distance so far, but it did it easy. I am fitting "SuperSprings" (self adjusting suspension stabiliser) on top of the original leaf springs this week to keep the ute level when loaded up.
My son just towed a 20 foot BT around Aus this year with his Mazda BT50 manual with the same engine as the Ford Ranger and he said he had ample power.
For me, it was either a well used 100 series or a new Ranger with more torque for the about the same price.
I,m very happy with the choice I made.

Regards AL
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> Tips on TOW VEHICLES All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: