SAFETY ALERT on converted US tow vehicles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> GENERAL DISCUSSION
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mattandlana

State:: WA
Current Bushtracker owner:: Yes
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:57 am    Post subject: SAFETY ALERT on converted US tow vehicles Reply with quote

A serious safety warning for those who tow with RHD converted US utes.

We've just discovered serious cracking where our panhard rod mounts to the RHS chassis (drivers’ side after conversion). I attach a couple of photos. Obviously, if this were to fail on the highway, things could get a bit unpleasant. We're still investigating, but the photos suggest that the conversion company did not adequately reinforce the subframe when they installed the new mount.

As it happens this was a Shogun conversion which (in addition to Shogun's insolvency!) validates BT's preference for SCD. But logically there's no reason why this issue should be limited to Shogun conversions or even Dodges. The company who will probably do our repair in Perth has seen 3 other instances on converted US utes - one Chevy and 2 Fords.

If you're driving a converted US ute, especially a Shogun conversion, I recommend you inspect your panhard rod mounts. This was a chilling discovery.

Bushtracker
Site Admin

State:: Queensland
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry,
but this is true in a variety of tow vehicles travelling hard... Like in any tow vehicle travelling hard in the Outback, especially after years of travel, you should roll under and have a look at things now and then..

Landcruisers have had a whole long list of failures like this potential, retaining arms on the front suspension and so on. Almost all Brands are prone to potential failures, so it is misleading to single out the American trucks, failures in chassis and suspension components can happen to them ALL including Landcruiser.

I have owned all major tow vehicle in R&D, for 30 years now in Australia, and this is not unique. I am the hub of information for the 1000's and this is not just the American trucks. Incidentally, maybe lucky, maybe because I do not travel hard, but I have experienced none of the faults like this reported, but I hear of many.

Regards, stg
mattandlana

State:: WA
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger that Steve. May be hard use (wish we did enough remote travel to make this more likely), may be design flaw, or may be one-off manufacturing defect.

Fair call re the US trucks. I was not meaning to pick on them especially, although the fact is that even very professional conversion companies are effectively a cottage industry compared with the actual manufacturers, and their testing and QA are necessarily more limited. But I agree it can happen to anything. Stuff fails. Even German and Japanese made stuff. Even (Heaven forbid) Australian made stuff!

I mainly just wanted to share a scary image, to remind everyone that periodic inspection is a really good idea.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> GENERAL DISCUSSION All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: