THE DIRECTORS CHOICE OF BUSHTRACKER, RIG, AND EQUIPMENT 2012

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> SO...WHAT MAKES BUSHTRACKER THE BEST?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bushtracker
Site Admin

State:: Queensland
Current Bushtracker owner:: Yes
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: THE DIRECTORS CHOICE OF BUSHTRACKER, RIG, AND EQUIPMENT 2012 Reply with quote

Hello Friends,

Many People would like to know what Bushtracker the Director of the Company would have. Fair enough, I am including some pictures of my own choice of Bushtracker, what I have bought for my own van. It is 23’ and it is loaded beyond most Owners needs or desires, but this is now home to me on my horse property when not on the road.

Yes, it has a lot of extra gear, like twin reverse cycle air units and twin diesel heaters. Mind you, an air conditioning unit struggles over about 21’, and the same for the forced air diesel heaters, plus the added redundancy of a spare unit is nice so I have two of each. It also has a stainless slide out kitchen unit, that is why the extra lockers you can see. The layout is our most popular, and I personally like it the best with the full separate ensuite in the rear of the van with the vanity in the middle.. And, of course I like leather. Here are some pictures:

I also like the larger interior entertaining area with a U shaped lounge..

The rear full width separate ensuite is now our most popular layout, with the large vanity in the middle and shower on the right..

The Tassie oak gives it that yacht feel for me, and there are two water tight lockers in the shower.....

I spent nearly 20 years on yachts, and love the polished timber bench tops so this has the two toned Tassie Oak. Further it has 8 water tanks, and a roll out stainless kitchen, and a 3 kva drop down slide out generator. While this is excessive, home on the horse property when not on the road, it means that I have the extended stay ability.. It also has a slide out freezer below the fridge freezer unit, and twin pantries for extended storage and ease of access:

The additional freezer is excessive, but I am raising German Shepherd Working Dogs, and the ability to carry frozen meat is a big plus as they are on the raw diet. It is power hungry, and that is why this Bushtracker has 5 batteries and 5 solar panels.. Again probably excessive for most people, but it is home away from home for me...

Further, home it is, with an auto deploy Oyster Satellite system and 22” TV and integrated stereo system with bass cannon and more.. This is way over and above most peoples needs, but it is home when out on my horse property and when travelling without horses. An 1800 watt auto switching inverter and 60 amp charger rounds out the power package of self-sufficiency. The only problem with this size and most well equipped Bushtracker, is it is well outside of the scope of Landcruiser.

Now this size of Bushtracker is all very nice, but it requires a specialized tow vehicle, and my choice is this Dodge Ram Longhorn Edition. You might be overlooking an obvious issue on size of Bushtracker... Landcruiser is fine up to around 20 feet, and is borderline struggling over that. For larger vans, larger payloads like gull wing canopies, carrying boats and motors, quad bikes or the like, you cannot do better than the American full import Luxury trucks. Japanese trucks just do not have the luxury ride or the horsepower. Wink

The dual rear wheels are not necessary, but I like the traction. I have a raised bed floor with an additional 400 litres fuel tank built in. That weight for traction, and the dual rear wheels in 4x4, gives an amazing amount of traction to the ground in off-road conditions.

Why the Dodge? Cheaper and better for a few reasons, and if you would like to know why, read on:

In the nearly 18 years of Bushtracker, being the "Mad Inventor" I have owned more tow vehicles for R&D and towed more sizes of Bushtrackers than anyone. Let's see, a 61 Series Sahara, 75 Series Troopcarrier, 2 100 Series Landcruiser wagons, 2 of the Gympie based Chev Dealers Silverados in the Crew Cab 2500 HD and 3500 HD Duallie, a Ford Australia F-250, a full import F-350, 3 VDC Fords in F-350 and a VDC F-450, 3 of the 200 Series for towing R&D a GXL a VX and Sahara, and now a Dodge Cummins Diesel Megacab Longhorn Edition. I have spent hundreds of hours writing reviews on all of them in TIPS ON TOW VEHICLES, and just about everything you need to know is already there for you. However, for this Thread I will say a couple of points:

My own personal choice is this new 6.7 Dodge Cummins Ram. Now after 6 months of testing, I am going to keep it and have a gull wing canopy ordered, winch, and will have a black powder coated bullbar built when the winch arrives.. I am going all out and have ordered a custom 5" exhaust and chip up for towing economy.. It is superior for 21’ vans and larger, for four reasons:

1) It is powered by the 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel. I am a Cummins Fan, but rather than argue it is superior, I will put the case forward it is better due to access. You can hardly get a hand in to work on the Chev Duramax, it is almost a two man job to change a fuel filter. The Fords are just as tight, in fact in America the hoists are equipped to lift the cab off for turbo or head work.. The Cummins is different in that it is a straight six like many Big Rigs. On one side you pull out the radiator overflow tank and battery and there is total side access. On the other side you pull out air filter housing and you have total turbo and the other side of the engine access. It is just a lot more User Friendly.

2) It is backed by Shogun Conversions (in my opinion Shogun do the best Dodge Conversion, have a look) www.shogunconversions.com.au It is also backed by Chrysler (already here in Australia) and best yet it is backed by Cummins Australia. Further, Cummins and Fleetguard are under the same banner now, the largest truck filters, and filters and oil from Cummins direct are cheap. I bought 20 ltrs of Cummins Blue Synthetic oil for $120, fuel filters for $25 and oil filters for $15.. That is cheaper than Toyota for sure, let alone Ford and Chevrolet.

3) Third, and not the least they are about $25-30,000 cheaper than the Fords or Chevs: Shogun is finishing up here and has a new 4000 meter Factory in the Philippines and a new Factory underway. They even have Philippine Crew working here now. They say, due to the cheaper real estate and Business costs, they are going to bring in the new 2013 Dodge Ram with the highest tow ratings of the “Big Three” to Australia at Landcruiser prices. Now that is big news!!! In all fairness, if this happens, it will sweep the market. The 6.7 Cummins is a “Sweetie”. On Expedition in dead of winter in January to see the wolves in action in Yellowstone volcanic caldera, I was surprised to find that the crews there leave the Dodge Cummins Rams idling all day like a Big Rig diesel, with apparently no ill effects. You cannot do that with Ford or Chevrolet diesels.

4) I have had mine since December 2012, driving it everywhere… I still have the Sahara in the last DVD, in the Missus hands for future DVDs or Shows, but this Dodge Ram is the tops. It has the air conditioned seats, heated seats and steering wheel, rear vision and perimeter alarms, remote starting, all the fruit… But there is one more standout: This one is the Mega Cab. It has the normal Crew Cab option with about 400mm more behind the back seats. Not only do the seats drop down into the floor, and not only does it become a wide bed base, but there is also luggage room behind. It is the largest cab in the whole truck class of the Big Three. Further next year it is supposed to have the highest towing ratings.. One of the most important features is that the Cummins is a Big Rig style of diesel, and does not appear to suffer the Ford and Chevrolet problems sitting idling with cylinder wash and glazing. Power crews and such in Wyoming when I was there on a winter expedition, leave them idling all day to keep the cab warm when they are doing pole work and such. One reported over 200,000 miles on the original engine. THAT is Cummins for you..

You are welcome to come see mine. Mine is in the western leather style, scrolling on the gauges, and western patterns on the leather seats, the Longhorn edition. That is nice but unnecessary. The whole truck impresses me, but engine access, larger cab, and backup by Cummins Australia is the icing on the cake… If you want a larger van from 21’ and up, you should have a look. It has the live axle solid monobeam front end like the Ford, robust in everyway, and for larger vans it just cannot be beat. Room to work on the van, better backup in Australia, it is now my Number One pick...

You are welcome to come see mine... I like it as much as the Super Duty Fords in strength and finish, only far better engine access, and of course the Mega Cab..

I will upgrade this with more pictures when I have the time...
On the road with the Ranger.... Half a Horseman, All of a Bushtracker Man..

Last edited by Bushtracker on Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:06 am; edited 2 times in total
jenaben79

State:: WA
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really nice set up there Steve!!! The van and car look amazing!!!! I was going to write i love the tassi oak tops but really, i love the whole lot!!!

Regards,

Ben.
schommys

State:: NSW
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,
The few times I check into the forum it seems you just got another new tow vehicle. The Dodge looks great and I showed your van to my wife and now she wants to update. You're killing me. But I still love my BT and Ford Ranger.
Regards AL
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Al,

I end up doing the R&D on all the most popular tow vehicles, for the Owners Best interests.. I outfit them, tow with them, and evaluate their performance to do the TIPS ON TOW VEHICLES. I usually keep two of them at a time, currently the last Landcruiser in the DVD the Wife is driving, and this Dodge Cummins Ram. Normally about two years would be an average, to test and evaluate them and run a couple of trips like on the DVDs..

This Dodge Cummins Ram, this might be a keeper long term.. Why? It is a different kettle of fish for the reasons I listed above. The engine access is a major plus, as well as the backing here, and if Shogun do indeed get the cost down to Landcruiser prices they will change the market...

This is a BIG Bushtracker. It carries 8 water tanks, that is 720 kg of water alone, plus double AC units and double diesel heaters, a 5 batteries and 5 solar panels, this is a long ton of gear right there.. You cannot tow this with a Landcruiser, and the Dodge is not so big in front of it..

With the outdoor kitchen loaded, the 3 kva, the 70 kg drop down slide out, the freezer, the butcher block table and benchtops, fully loaded, this 23' van has more than a long ton of gear and water on board and it can break 4 ton all up.. The Dodge is a great match up... Here it is on my horse property:

Why the dual rear wheels? Look, a major traction issue in all weather and surface conditions, and a major safety issue. But more than that, it makes it nearly impossible to over load. I have ordered a 5" stainless exhaust and will order a black powder coated bullbar when the winch arrives, and have ordered gull wing canopy. I will probably keep this truck longer term. I just never liked the engine access on the Silverados and Fords, and by contrast this is so easy...

On the Drivers side, you take out the air cowl and filter housing and you expose the whole side of the engine. On passengers side you take out the overflow tank to the radiator, and again nearly full side of the engine access. That is worth a lot to me. Plus, now I am a Cummins Fan.

I am raising Black German Shephern Working Dogs. Very rare, and very smart, flat straight backs and big bones. I have done research on the RAW diet, and am convinced they live much longer and healthier on the raw meat diet of 10% bone, 10% organ meat, and 80% muscle meat. Mine live on beef, lamb, and chicken ( my own beef I raise is the majority).. Anyway to check it out, since these are very close to wolves, I took a winter expedition into Yellowstone to get close to the wolves (Raw diet for sure) and found that if not killed by predation they can go 18 years... Anyway, I found people there that leave their Cummins Diesel idling while up a pole for power work, in a restaurant while having dinner, and one had 200,000 miles on the original engine with no problems, even idling that long at a time. Shocked

This and the access will make we stay put with the Dodge Cummins Ram for such a large luxury Bushtracker as mine. I do like the larger Bushtracker for the home away from home feel, and all the luxury and excess power and water makes living independently a natural course of events... You need something like this Dodge if you want to go very large and very luxurious, and maybe I am spoiled but: I like the ability to idle, airconditioning or heated cab, as well as engine access. AND the black and gold trim matches Shaka, the female I will breed GSDs with in a couple of years... Laughing Laughing

Maybe I am spoiled, but this is not camping out, this is home... Looking forwards:

Looking back to the ensuite door, you have the room to sprawl out..

And this is like a proper bedroom area, with TV swivelling around... Home.

This is one of the top Bushtrackers ever made. And the Dodge is one of the top tow vehicles. I started riding around in a Dodge in 1961, and was later given that truck when in University, and kept it afterwards until about 1977 as it was so good. I may just keep this Dodge and stop right here.

You cannot do any better than the best Bushtracker, and the best tow vehicle.. Just understand that your best Bushtracker may be another size and another layout.. Further, as an Owner you may elect to tow with Landcruiser like most Bushtracker Owners which is great up to 20' and even 21' with care. That will be your "Best Bushtracker" and your "Best Tow Vehicle". Wink

This is just an example of the extremes of comfort and luxury that is possible, OK?

Kind regards to all, on the road Ranger
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Friends,

It is lonely at the top, and sometimes I think I am waaay out there and have gone too far. Wink Then, some Reining Horse Friend comes along, and wants to join in with me training horses and travelling interstate as a Non-Pro. When there is no money in it, and you are travelling long distance with the Pros, to join in on competitions just for the love of it, you wonder if you are crazy. Laughing Then when a Horse Friend wants to join forces, you realize maybe not so crazy after all??? At least there are a few of us... Laughing Laughing

Well, it is just like that with this over the top Bushtracker. You wonder if it is too much, to have this most beautiful and overly well equipped and over sized Bushtracker. Sometimes I am worried that it sounds like a brag or something when I show the extremes of yacht grade finish and maximum equipping, when in reality it is just my own tastes of luxury in appreciating this level of Lifestyle.

When you are way out Bush in a rough and remote setting, in my own mind there is no such thing as too much luxury... Laughing I guess it is gratifying to find that I am not alone in wanting this level of space and luxury, as one of our Bushtracker Owners has come in for their second Bushtracker, and they virtually want a clone of mine. They also are towing with a Dodge Cummins diesel, so there is no problem with the size, and they love the spacious feeling and luxury and want the best that is practical. They are experienced Bushtracker Owners, and have decided I am not so far out after all... Laughing

I am planning on living in mine, more that half time, from now on. It is compact like a yacht, but that means a level of luxury not experienced in most houses with easy low energy usage climate control and easy cleaning of the small area, and further the luxury of swivel around TV in bed and a lot of other luxury items that I did not even have in the house... My home will travel with me, and the outdoor setting will just change. It will be like living on a yacht again, even when I am not travelling, and for me there is a real snug and secure feeling in being that independent.. Wink

Maybe not so crazy afterall.. Laughing Kind regards, Cowboy

And that is when Fridge/Freezer and double pantry comes in handy...

And the full sized full width bathroom and dressing area for privacy, works really well. That is why I only play at Cowboying, too soft... Laughing

Home, home on the range, heh he...

Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Friends,

People would like to know what I would do differently in a new Bushtracker. Mind you, many of my choices would reflect that my van is three years old and some new innovations have come through like concealed hinges, Lithium battery packs, integrated stereo systems easier to use, new style chargers and regulators, and things like that.

I have been thinking, what would I do differently in the layout of the van itself? Well, in the next year or two if we get caught up, I am likely to build a new Show Van for the Show Season, with all of our latest innovations. Further, it turns out I am not the lone Ranger with regards to my tastes, three others in only the month of this Post have indicated they want to Order along this same size and luxury range. It seems that many of the extreme luxury motorhome people, could convert to this larger and more luxurious Bushtracker range, to see the "Real Australia" they could not get to with a motorhome.. Having to go to an American Luxury truck in Ford, Dodge, or Chevrolet Silverado, is not daunting to them either.

Anyway, what would I change? I would like a bit more of a "Bedroom" with a set of double door hanging lockers at the foot of the bed on each side, making a narrow walkway into the bedroom. Hanging lockers, a shelf above inside the locker, and drawers below. This would take up about 600mm. A foot longer Bushtracker would not really look or be functionally that much larger than this:

The Dodge with the Big Rig 6.7 Cummins Diesel, certainly would not know the difference of 23' to 24'......

So how would I do it? Well, I really like the double pantry of one on each side of the fridge freezer..

But it seems to me that I could cut the extra foot I need, (2' of hanging lockers across the foot of the bed, one foot in larger van) with one foot of less counter space on the end of the counter on the left and one foot out of the lounge with a move to Cafe Dining against the wall...

I do not need the U-Shape Dining, Cafe Dining against the wall would give me a bigger table and the same useable seating. I certainly do not need all that extra counter space at the end, lovely but not necessary. The weight of an extra foot, compensated with Lithium Technology alone will be over 100 kg savings towards that (I have five batteries). Further the Platinum slide under the generator out would be 40 kg savings and is unnecessary. I can go the extra foot with no penalty, even keeping the slide out stainless kitchen (which could go as well for a further 50 kg savings.

When you have a larger tow vehicle, I do not think the size difference of 23' to 24' is going to handicap you at all. You drop it down over a riverbank and drag it off on the skid plates of the chassis... Done that one before Wink Anyway that is the biggest change I would do..

We had not built our range of generator boxes at the time of this van, I would add one of those, and free up the locker on the Drivers side. I could go further weight savings by doing away with the outside kitchen, but why; as the 6.7 Cummins engine would certainly not know the difference... heh he.

Kind regards from "Half a Horseman"....
Britnay_009

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice post!
legendts

State:: Victoria
Current Bushtracker owner:: No
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

......and I'm still trying to convince my better half to go for the BT.

I cannot see anything that comes close to the build quality of them and every owner spoken to so far cannot praise the van or company/personell highly enough.
D&T

State:: Euphoric
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="legendts"]......and I'm still trying to convince my better half to go for the BT.

Then send her down to Torquay and we'll have a crack for you. My wife near broke her bottom jaw when it hit the floor when I told her the likely price of a new one. She also said she only wanted to travel for a year......that is now out to five years and she loves the van as much as I do.

Time to stand your ground. It's OK.....the pain will pass........
surfy53

State:: QLD
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It must be hard living that rough..............
Chris.
Devils On The Prowl

State:: Tas
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D&T,
We started out travelling for a year. Then it was 2 years, then it went onto 5 years.
We are now at the 10.5 years mark and don't look like stopping.
Its a great life, not for everybody though...
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Friends,

This Topic is a bit out of date, so here is the update on the Directors choice.. People always seem to be a bit curious about what the Director of the Company likes, and this one was built for me. It is still in the ‘Timeless Timber interior’ but on fiberglass walls and ceiling, and the furniture in solid Tassie Oak. It is sort of the best of both worlds, a more modern look, but also yacht grade woodwork..

I like the full queen size island bed, leather cafe dining, large full height fridge and pantry, Ariston washer / dryer combo with hanging locker above, separate shower and toilet, front entry door. This is the ultimate in luxury Bushtracker vans, built as our top end show van for 2015.

Including all of our standard inclusions (click link) as per our brochure and website plus the following options:

Full ensuite (separate shower & toilet)
12V fantastic RBT6000 roof hatch in shower
Outdoor shower
5 x 90L water tanks (1 potable, 2 non-potable)(450L capacity)
195L 2 door twin Danfoss Compressor fridge
A & E Electric roll out awning
2 x Air conditioners (Air Command IBIS 3’s)
Diesel forced heating system with 2 outlets installed
Rangehood (12V externally vented)
2 x Caframo Sirocco fans installed
4 x 140W high quality solar panels installed
300a/h Lithium battery system
60AMP solar regulator with battery monitor (lithium)
60AMP mains battery charging system (lithium)
Anderson plug connected to 20A DC to DC charger (lithium)
1800W pure sine wave inverter with auto switching
2 x Extra-large cargo doors
Dometic skylight roof hatch over bed
Air bag suspension upgrade (with disc brake upgrade)
Tasmanian oak panelling upgrade to all cupboard facings
Fusion Marine CD / DVD player with 2 upgraded German Maestro internal ceiling speakers
Subwoofer / amplifier system
External Alpine speakers built-in
24” LED HD TV package
External AV locker with DPP & 12VPP
External wired remote

LAYOUT PLAN:

PHOTOS:

And a clip in larger table that goes over this coffee table, it stores under the bed when not in use.....

It was made for me, but I am without a Bushtracker.. Again.... A Bushtracker Owner has talked me out of it, his second Bushtracker. Our 127th Owner to come back for a second new Bushtracker....

While I still have a 200 Series Landcruiser, my personal choice of tow vehicle is still the Dodge Cummins Diesel for such a large Bushtracker. It really is a better choice for larger van loaded up like this one. At 22' and 3 ton, loaded up to this degree it is a bit out of the range of the normal Landcruiser tow vehicles. This gets better fuel economy, is safer with a longer wheelbase, tow haul mode, engine brake, it is really made to do the job. You can see it at Bushtracker, and read about the AddBlue Dodge Cummins Diesel in TIPS ON TOW VEHICLES... Wink

Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well,
that one got sold to a another Owner... Hmmmm

So, I have designed a new one for myself. What is a bit weird is that I have unintentionally ended up with the basic same layout in just different colours!!
This one will not be sold, I am tired of building them and not getting to use them.. Laughing Laughing

The time it is only a 21' so we can take it to the Shows, and I can still get it into the small vehicle coastal caravan parks. Strange, but I have done roughly the same layout and the same gear, just a bit updated, and on a new Air Bag suspension..

Pictures will be forthcoming in the new year, and there will be a few surprises. I am thinking this one will be my own Show van on the road so to speak. I will give an itinerary, and on request stop into Stations and remote Townships to display it and have a bit of a Bushtracker talk...

Kind regards, and best wishes for a Merry Christmas, Steven Gibbs, Director
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> SO...WHAT MAKES BUSHTRACKER THE BEST? All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: