DODGE CUMMINS DIESEL RAM, NOW COMING THROUGH HSV...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> Tips on TOW VEHICLES
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bushtracker
Site Admin

State:: Queensland
Current Bushtracker owner:: Yes
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:12 am    Post subject: DODGE CUMMINS DIESEL RAM, NOW COMING THROUGH HSV... Reply with quote

I guess it is now confirmed...

Quote: A joint venture between Ateco Automotive and Walkinshaw Automotive Group called American Special Vehicles (ASV), the deal will see WAG (an affiliate company of HSV) performing the right-hand drive conversion on a purpose-built assembly line at its Clayton site in Melbourne’s south-eastern suburbs.

The two models confirmed for Australia are the 2500 and 3500 top-spec Laramie dual cabs, the former priced at $139,500. The 3500 climbs to $146,500.

They will come with a three year/100,000km warranty and full spares and parts back-up. The initial Australian sales network comprises 20 dealers and ASV is forecasting 500 sales in 2016. Sales start in New Zealand in the second quarter of 2016.

The JV partners are claiming the conversion as a massive boost in quality compared to existing operators in this area. It says the RAMs converted at Clayton achieve “factory levels” of fit, finish and engineering.

The ASV RAMs are imported as fully built up left-hand drives from the Saltillo factory in Mexico and converted here with full volume import approval. That means they will be fully compliant with Australian Design Rules and ASV will be the sole importer of RAM models covered by that approval.

And although not required for that approval, ASV will crash test a RAM next week to ADR69 guidelines.

The two models, which officially began production in Melbourne today, will only be offered in the dual cab top-spec Laramie specification initially. Both powered by a 6.7-litre Cummins turbo-diesel inline six-cylinder engines producing 276kW and a staggering 1084Nm.

Grey nomads, rural and regional property owners, plus the mining industry, are regarded as the prime targets for the RAMs.

Both 2500 and 3500 offer massive carrying and towing capacity. Depending on the type of towing arrangement utilised, a braked towing capacity of up to 6989kg is gazetted for the RAM 2500 and an impressive 6170kg for the RAM 3500. Payload is 913kg for the RAM 2500 and 1713kg for the RAM 3500.

The major technical difference between the two RAMs is their rear suspension design; the 2500 runs a five-link coil spring arrangement, while the 3500 employs a Hotchkiss rear leaf spring.

For the full Article and pictures, here is the Link:
http://www.caravancampingsales.com.au/editorial/news/2015/ram-launches-at-140k-55064

Last edited by Bushtracker on Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Friends

I have just ordered a new truck for next year... Why? I love my truck, but living between two Lifestyles, I really could use a Mega Cab to organize myself better. A Mega Cab has the rear seats that fold into the floor to make a double bed, and my Wife in travel with a degenerative bone disease can lay down and pillow up her neck if required. But even more important, the MegaCab gives me a 400 mm or so, luggage area behind the seats. I live between the city, and out Bush with Horses and the Outback, and the back seat is always a mess. This will help to organize and store my gear. It will be longer and harder to park, but worth the exercise for me...

Now the surprise news: I have just ordered in a new truck for Deliver about March, from SCD.... The Why, is important.

1) The HSV subsidiaries are not going to bring in the fancier trucks, just the basic Laramie Crew Cab. No Mega Cabs, no Laramie Limited, no Longhorns, just the basic Dodge Ram. While there is nothing wrong with that, since I am not going to retire I decided to spoil myself and get the fancier truck, a Laramie Limited, "loaded"... Power Tow mirrors, power folding mirrors, sunroof, auto rain sensor, fancier stitching and interior, wood accents, sprayed bed liner, chrome trim, and more. All and all just a fancier truck, that the HSV Mob is not going to have, for about the same money.

2) I firmly believe the mitre 90 degree steering gear boxes and shaft drive is a superior conversion. The research was done by pulling apart a Freightliner Semi, getting the mitre box manufacturer for their conversion on line, and SCD are still the only ones doing that shaft drive to my knowledge. Why is is superior? Nothing beats the entire Factory Design Engineering or original steering in the front end, and original engine bay layout.

HSV IMO are going to cut in a new steering box to the chassis the old way Shogun and SCD used to do it. Again "In My Opinion" IMO this wrecks the engine bay layout and filter access, and adds further complication to the Factory steering which I think is a disadvantage. Having had a Shogun Truck the old way, an SCD truck the old way, I greatly appreciate the new heavy duty firewall and shaft drive with Big Rig style gear drive sealed 90 degree gear boxes. You can read more about it and see the pictures in this Category.

Check it out yourself, I am going on what information I can get, but I believe this all to be true to the best of my ability to ascertain, At your Service,
Steven Gibbs, Director, Bushtracker
Outback Bushwacker

State:: NSW
Current Bushtracker owner:: No
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bushtracker,

I have been reading all the posts on the 2500 Ram as I will be retiring next year and believe that the Ram is the correct vehicle to tow with.

I agree with your comments about ASV - a very narrow focus both on Price Point and Model availability.
Also they are looking to sell 500 next year ???

Just because ASV has started converting Ram's SCD and Shogun are not going to stop converting Ram's

I need to be educated so can you please explain a bit more about your comment " HSV IMO are going to cut in a new steering box to the chassis the old way Shogun and SCD used to do it."

ASV are doing a true mirror image conversion by using an opposite hand box specially made for them by the same OEM manufacturer and line drilling the rails and fitting it exactly the same way that Dodge do it on their assembly lines.

How is this the same way that Shogun and SCD did their conversions ?

I was of the opinion that no one was using an original OEM opposite hand box until ASV had one made ?

By the way I have been to SCD and in fact sat in your 2500 RAM when I was there and have been to Shogun and inspected their conversion.

ASV are removing the cab from the RAM and so one team works on the cab whilst another team work on the rolling chassis which still has the tub in place.

Then 2 days later they drop the cab back down onto the rolling chassis the same way that the car makers have been doing it since the Model T Ford assembly lines. Current production rate is 15 per month - constrained by the current number of workers which will progressively increase.

I have not been able to find out if ASV move the engine and gearbox to the left side to gain clearance along the chassis rails and to make more space for the Brake Master Cylinder and Battery etc.

Also I have not been able to find out if ASV move the alternator from the bottom right hand side up into the position of the second alternator on the high left side of the engine the way that Shogun does it.

From an Engineering point of view I also agree that the SCD mitre box conversion is a very elegant fix.

Look forward to your comments.
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt and ask how you know so much as to say these things about ASV... You sound like you have insider information and we do not allow Commercial slants and spin on things like this. I try and present the balanced view of what we know.

As to Shogun and SCD, full volume compliancing has not been confirmed. SCD for one are not to my knowledge going to do any beyond 2015 and are not going for full "Volume Compliance". They will still Service the Dodge Cummins, but are bringing in the 1500 Series. That is why I ordered a 2016 year model but build 2015, to get the latest with the mitre box neat conversion.

Having owned and explored the Shogun and SCD conversions: I do not like the changes that have to happen in the engine bay and chassis and steering to do a full new right hand steering shaft and box. No matter how neat they put it in: It is not the original steering or engine bay Engineering and will have disadvantages. I do not like the way they actually have to shift the engine to get the steering box on that side, and a few other inconvenient things.. I also do not know of anyone that can confirm beyond the Sales Talk, of the Engineering details regarding how ASV are going to add on the steering box, but I still prefer not to modify the original steering and engine bay layout and went with SCD.

Now, no offence, but: You talk like a Professional Sales Staff with the buzz words of "Price Point and Model availability"... Since this is your first Post, where did you get this detail, and please identify if you work for ASV or one of the subsidiaries associated with this project...

Steven Gibbs, Director
Outback Bushwacker

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bushtracker,

If you check your records you will find that I joined your forum in October 2011 in preparation to buying a Bushtracker and Tow vehicle when I retire.
You can check with Matt who my wife and I have met on various occasions.

My knowledge comes from carrying out RESEARCH readily available to everyone including yourself.

I am a Managing Director and a Professional Engineer by training and do not and have not ever worked for HSV, ASV, ATECO or anyone including Subsidiaries connected with that project.

If you look at the press releases there is a video taken in the factory in Melbourne that shows how they are doing the actual work including line drilling the rails and fitting the Steering Box and removing the Cab. Also there is a press release by Ryan Walkinshaw that gives details about what they are doing, the number of Engineers, the number of Assembly workers, their current production capacity, their sales forecasts and their forecasted annual production rate.

As I said in my post " I have not been able to find out if ASV move the engine and gearbox to the left side to gain clearance along the chassis rails and to make more space for the Brake Master Cylinder and Battery etc. "

So I am not sure that your comment " I do not like the way they actually have to shift the engine to get the steering box on that side," is correct until someone from ASV talks about how they are doing it.

To help me understand what you posted are you saying that SCD will not be doing anymore conversions of the 2500 in 2016 and will only be focussing on the 1500 ?

Are SCD aware that FCA are pursuing the full importation of the 1500 in a separate deal to the Walkinshaw deal ?

My comments " Price Point and Model Availability " are not just " Buzz Words " and are not just the realm of a Sales Person, there are definitely key to the role of a MD and are my normal areas of concern in any of my new product decisions.

I have purposely not posted anything previously as not having a Bushtracker I thought that I had little to add however on the issue of the ASV Rams I felt that I could correct some of the statements that we being made and hence why I posted.

.........Stephen
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright Stephen,
I take you on face value, my apologies..
WELCOME TO THE FORUM, Post Number 1,2

On your Engineering questions, when I have seen the way Shogun and SCD did the right hand steering box, there were problems. At one point for sure, Shogun had to shift the engine 5-10 mm to keep adequate clearances under torque. I owned one of those trucks, the Black Dually from Shogun in earlier Dodge Cummins Diesel Topics. I have seen the common developmental problems, because I was gravitating toward recommending the Dodge Cummins Diesel as the larger van tow vehicle for Bushtracker Owners. All of the "Big Three" are about even in durability and capability, but I shifted to specifically recommending the Dodge Cummins Diesel due to the massive engine access under the bonnet being a straight 6 cyl Cummins. You can Service everything from head gaskets to Turbo seals, right under the bonnet where Ford is a Cab Off exercise and nearly so for the Chev as well. I also believed Dodge had a better future due to support from Cummins, Chrysler, and the Converters here in Australia.

Anyway, I have seen all the evolution in going to a right hand steering box and the problems involved. The Tie Rod attaching point on the inner hub is not equipped to have the extra fitting on the left hand side for a steering arm connection point on the inner hub, so the Factory right hand box has problems. Most use the old box as a turning box on the left side to use the original steering arm angling down to the right hand side (looking forward from the Drivers Seat).

So far: Everything I have heard from ASV so far is just Sales Talk. However, even if they cured all the problems (I doubt it) it still compromises the original steering design and engine bay layout Engineered from Chrysler Dodge. The point of my disclosure on where I ordered my new truck, was the Freightliner style mitre box sealed angle drive, in a custom built heavy duty firewall, is still a better system as it preserves all the Factory Engineering in steering and engine bay layout. NOTHING can BE as good as that as the Engineering Staff and R&D and experience is 1000 times what ASV and HSV can muster due to the larger market in America IMO.. If I am wrong, GREAT, good for everyone... But IMO I doubt it and we will not know until well into next year..

Now, your other question: SCD (have not confirmed Shogun) have decided not to pursue "Full Volume Compliance" on the larger Dodges in competition with ASV /HSV and are only going to import 1500's built in 2016 and beyond. They do have an alternate truck that is not here right now that they are looking into (that I am not at liberty to talk about), but right now will only do the 1500 for their own "Business Reasons". They can continue to do 2015 built Dodges 2500, 3500, 4500, into next year at least and will continue to support them in the future.

Further, if anyone wants a fancier truck, like the Limited, or the Longhorn, or the Mega Cab, (I am getting the Limited MegaCab) ASV do not report planning on bringing in anything but the base model Laramie Crew Cab. I have decided I want the top end for toys, with all the fruit, and some of it is handy like power folding and towing mirrors. The rest is mostly just "feel good" appointments but they do lower driver fatigue on a long haul. Auto rain sensor, dimmers, woodgrain, fancier leather, sunroof, sprayed in bed liner, fancier trim, most of that is just dress up but I will enjoy it and since I have decided not to retire, why not?

I am going with SCD, and that is my continued recommendation. A year from now when we see what actually happens with ASV/ HSV, I will review the recommendation but right now IMO SCD is a better proposition. My current Laramie 2500, with snorkel, will possibly be available mid March at 25,000 kms and it has been flawless with regard to its engineering.

Kind regards, Steven Gibbs, Director
Outback Bushwacker

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bushtracker,

Apology accepted.

Like you I gravitated to the Ram for a lot of reasons.

The one good thing about the conversion industry in Australia is that it is getting better and better for us the customer. My first F250 was back in 2005 and they were very ordinary compared to what is available today.

Two of my friends bought Silverado's in 2014 and had them converted in Sri Lanka and they have had nothing but trouble. Greg has already sold his truck.

Until ASV tell someone how they are doing the Steering Arm connections I think that the jury is still out. However if they have worked in conjunction with Dodge and have designed a " true mirror image " steering system then that will be fantastic.

Shogun told me in July 2015 that they are doing Full Volume Compliance for the Ram's.

Yes ASV have stated that they will only be bringing in the Laramie Crew Cab but only time will tell and yes I think that it is a very narrow view of the market.

So if SCD withdraw from the 2500 in 2016 that will only leave Performax, Shogun and ASV as the real alternatives.

Like you I need to know more about how ASV are doing the total conversion which I hope will become available over the next few months.

......Stephen
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outback Bushwacker wrote:
Hi Bushtracker,

A few comments I am adding, in bold and italics... Steven Gibbs here, Director, Bushtracker..

The one good thing about the conversion industry in Australia is that it is getting better and better for us the customer. My first F250 was back in 2005 and they were very ordinary compared to what is available today.

Two of my friends bought Silverado's in 2014 and had them converted in Sri Lanka and they have had nothing but trouble. Greg has already sold his truck.

Until ASV tell someone how they are doing the Steering Arm connections I think that the jury is still out. However if they have worked in conjunction with Dodge and have designed a " true mirror image " steering system then that will be fantastic.
I do not, will not believe they (Chrysler) will re-tool the inner hub in forged steel to accept a new steering arm to the left side, for that low of volume.. That is HUGE and IMO extremely unlikely.

Shogun told me in July 2015 that they are doing Full Volume Compliance for the Ram's.
Again, I have not gotten verification on that either..

Yes ASV have stated that they will only be bringing in the Laramie Crew Cab but only time will tell and yes I think that it is a very narrow view of the market. I have also heard their conversion are only on 2014 built trucks, but this is all raw speculation until we see it..

So if SCD withdraw from the 2500 in 2016 that will only leave Performax, Shogun and ASV as the real alternatives.
IMO I am not sure they are "real alternatives" compared to the SCD conversion, and because of that I opted for a 2015 built Laramie Limited to be delivered in 2016. Until something new hits the market, that is my recommendation...

Like you I need to know more about how ASV are doing the total conversion which I hope will become available over the next few months.
I tend to not respect sales talk, and will wait to see what evolves...

Kind regards, Steven Gibbs, Director, doing R&D "In Your Best Interests".

......Stephen
[/i]
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Friends,
I keep getting ask on the controversy of whom does the best conversion. This is my answer and the real Engineering as to why, with pictures you can see for yourself if you get down on your hands and knees and look for yourself..

So all the other Companies use a new right hand steering box... Our drivers side.. The new "made to order" right hand drive steering box proposed still in my view still not as good... Let me digress to show you pictures and try and be more descriptive OK?

First off all, nothing beats the 20 year developmental engineering of the original steering and the original engine bay layout. A new right hand drive steering shaft and steering box wrecks both. However, there is a more serious problem. The original steering box was on the left side (our passenger side). The normal way is to put a right hand steering box in (our drivers side). The problem is this does not work because the steering arm still goes down from the left hand side to the right hand side. Because of this, most use the old steering box, as a turning box, so the steering arm still goes from that left side to the right hand side (looking forward)...

Here is what it looks like on the right hand side (our drivers side) looking at it from the front, and on the bottom you see the "Tie Rod", that connects both left and right together, and above it you see the steering arm that comes down from the left. This whole assembly is call the " steering knuckle" in Old School...

As you look at these, keep in mind these knuckle joints and disc brakes are HUGE, it is just that is the inside of a 20" wheel...... Now the problem is, that you can easily have a custom steering box made for the right hand side for right hand steering, but the steering arm would then go down to the left, and there is no way to hook up to the left hand side. That piece you are looking at, usually called the steering knuckle, on the left: Only has a place for the tie rod that connects both wheels, it is very high strength forged steel, and you cannot just go willy nilly and add a piece to it for the steering arm to hook up to.. That steering knuckle on the left, our passenger side, is only set up for the tie rod end you see in this picture:

There is no way to hook up the steering arm there in an adequate way: THAT is why most conversions use the old box, as a "turning box" with a whole extra shaft from right to left, more complications and more to go wrong, and just not as good as the original steering... If you look under the front end you will see ANOTHER steering arm from our Drivers side over to the passenger side to use the old steering box as a turning box. That is ANOTHER steering arm, and two more ball joints and that much more play and to go wrong.. THAT is specifically why I prefer the SCD conversion, as it preserves the original steering, original steering arm down to the steering knuckle, and the original engine bay layout... IMO every other conversion is a compromise, a poor second choice with compromised results.

Kind regards, from the truck fanatic (Rig Junkie in Old School).
Steven Gibbs, Director, Bushtracker

Last edited by Bushtracker on Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bill

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was emailed to me by the company who converted my Ram:

Here is the link to the press release below.
They are using a Molnar 2 post hoist to take the cab off (! why…?), and the steering box is nothing like the original OEM box, its MUCH smaller than the original, absolutely tiny.
Hence they won’t have to shift the engine over, but that tiny box could be a major concern……….
http://www.santalucesband.net/ram-trucks-launch-under-new-rhd-distributor-priced-from-139500/

Also check the home made bracket out with a couple of self tappers to the right and below of the hand brake release….

Also looks like they don’t take the drivers floor hump out like we do, just merely stick a foot rest there.
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would rather have a 2016 year model, built in 2015, from SCD...

No the extra steering box does not look big enough from HSV. Further even if it was that means another steering arm with two more ball joints, over to the old box for the reasons I put up on the pictures. This just makes a mess of the steering system with added complications and weight and ball joints and as they wear slop in the system, don't like it...

This is true with every other conversion I have seen, and I would rather have the original steering box and arm down to the steering knuckle like SCD does it, than ANY of the other conversions.

Not to mention again, that the original layout for the engine bay is also a huge advantage. Again, SCD are doing the best job of it, have had several other conversions, I have not seen better. This is just Engineering facts, I get no commission and do not sell them here at Bushtracker. This is, like I always say, "In the Owners Best Interests"..

Kind regards, Steven Gibbs, Director, Bushtracker
lkelectrical

State:: qld
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi steve luke here from lk electrical contracting/mobile butcher not sure if you are aware just got off the phone today with a salesmen fom proton/Nissan dealer at nambour who has informed me that they will be selling the 2500/3500 ram trucks that are coming through the walkinshaw group and will have a 2500 there ready to look at and test drive to potential buyers in mid January 2016 with some more ordered and on the way , not a bad thing to compare apples to apples, anyway just thought I would through that out there to any interested partys. regards luke
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Luke,
They called me to, about a week before Christmas..

I will wait to see one, but per the Post above, I like the conversion the way SCD do it.. The Walkinshaw group from what I am told, are doing it the old fashioned way, with a new steering box on the Drivers side, and a new steering arm over to the original steering box and using it as a turning box just right to left....

That is ok, but the new steering box is smaller than the factory original, so they did not have to move the engine over... Hmmm

Per the Post above I prefer the SCD conversion...

Kind regards, Steven Gibbs
lkelectrical

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve Luke here (Lkelectrical/ butcher) just wondering is your new mega cab ram in the stables yet to possibly pop down and have a look at. Regards Luke
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Luke, Feb 25, 2016

Looks like it is finished and it will be here today or tomorrow. I am not sure I am keeping it yet. I cannot do full time travel, so I live here in civilization and the MegaCab in the city is a little bit of a handicap. It will have a meter bigger turning radius, and a half metre 400mm or so longer parking, as the chassis is actually longer.

I mean I love my current Dodge and this new one has to be acceptable for the handicaps it will provide around town.. The problem is that I am not a full time Grey Nomad, and this one will be primarily a personal town car 90% of the time. It is a half metre longer to park, and a metre bigger turning radius. Rolling Eyes I have to be able to get along with this longer version MegaCab, U-turns, parking at the Malls and places like Bunnings, and so on... It really looks the same as mine new, just longer and a bit fancier and more expensive... Hmmm If I was travelling seasonally or full time, THIS would be THE truck... Hmmm

There is some chance: We will decide that it is just not worth the handicap around town, and THIS MegaCab could be for sale instead.. Don't ask, don't know how much. It would be up to SCD. Supposedly with power in and out folding towing mirrors, sunroof, and all the other fancy "Limited" options, sprayed bed liner, auto rain sensor, keyless entry, fancy 20" wheels, all the fancy bits as well as the higher grade Laramie standards..

If it comes for sale, it will be about the same as the Walkinshaw Dodges, only IMO a far better conversion, and a higher grade truck. It is first of all a Laramie Limited top of the line with all the luxury truck features and they will not be bringing that in... Secondly it is a MegaCab, that storage behind the seats, and the seats folding down into the floor to make up a bed or bigger area. That Walkinshaw group are not bringing in the Top of the Line Limited OR the MegaCab... Wink

If I do not take it, this will be a great buy for someone.. Kind regards, Steven Gibbs, Director, Bushtracker
Barry&Ann

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G'day guys,
We have 2015 (build 2014) Ram 2500 Longhorn. We have owned it since April 2015. We now have 38,000km on the clock, of which about half is with a 21' BT on the back. My reason for posting is to back up Steve's comments on the steering work done by SCD. This vehicle steers smoothly and precisely. There is no play to speak of and the feel is first rate. It is a pity this method is not being implemented by the 'factory' supported new guys. Changing an oil filter is challenging enough now, let alone with the added complication of a steering box thrown in as well. I love my Ram, best decision we could have made for a tow vehicle.
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welll,

Congratulations on your absolute top notch Tow Vehicle..!

And one more thing: WELCOME TO THE FORUM, Post Number One!
lkelectrical

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:36 pm    Post subject: Rubber floor mats for ram Reply with quote

Hi Steve Luke here just wanting to no where did you get the rubber floor mats for your ram any contact details would be much appreciated . Regards luke
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything comes through SCD....

All the goodies....
lkelectrical

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi steve luke here just a quick question do the rams have a vin number located on the dash at the bottom of the windscreen as well as the door seal. regards luke
RobandFlip

State:: Victoria
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Ikelectrical, the VIN number is indeed able to be viewed from the lower edge of the windscreen, passenger side on the Ram.
cheers,
Robyn
3ways

State:: Qld
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For any other RAM owners RACQ now offer full comprehensive insurance on RAM trucks at same rates for LC200. For us they were less then half price quoted by Shannons, Ryno and Suncorp. I don't know if they only insure ASV converted RAM trucks.
lkelectrical

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi guys and fellow ram owners( asv ram owners) just wanting to no has any one gone down the path of putting the larger trailer tow mirrors on there trucks if so would love some input as I am wanting to purchase a set this might sound silly but ebay ect is a blur to many to choose from part number ect would be great. regards luke
3ways

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luke
I looked at doing same, US Dodge parts supplier quoted part numbers to suit 2016
68285874AB right tow mirror, black with memory power fold
68285875AB left tow mirror, black with memory power fold
Dealer could not confirm it is plug and play swap. It appears you need to reconfigure the controller for towing mirrors.
The US after market suppliers couldn't supply when I enquired.
lkelectrical

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi ros and ian luke here yes thanks for that I was told today yes I can source them how ever they are in full black colour and they do not power fold only the mirror part power folds wich is ok also the electrical side of things should plug and play butr if not no biggy pretty easy to sort out its a shame that all the asv trucks enter the country with the larger tow mirrors and they are binned for the smaller ones to comply with adr ( what a joke). cheers luke
RobandFlip

State:: Victoria
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umm, that's a pity, thank goodness ours has the original mirrors. The mirrors fold in and they can be turned to either horizontal or vertical as well as power to the larger mirror.
Cheers,
Robyn and Phillip
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SCD conversion is superior in many ways...

This thread has just pointed out another reason.. However the original steering and original engine bay layout is still the #1 reason..

But for HSV not to get the original big rig mirrors through the ADR approvals is reprehensible and further to junk BIN the good ones and refuse to sell them IMO is a crime against Man and Nature in my book... Hmmmm I have damaged one of mine a little and would LOVE to buy a spare..

On the road, Ranger...
lkelectrical

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi guys fellow ram owners just ordered some oem power folding trailer tow mirrors for my (my 16 ram) from a dodge/ram dealer in the states the chrome ones will set you back $637.50 EACH US DOLLARS PLUS FREIGHT and the full black ones will set you back $332.50 EACH US DOLLARS PLUS FREIGHT just thought I would through that out there for any interested ( MAINLY DIRECTED AT ASV RAM OWNERS OR PEOPLE WHO HAVE DAMAGED THERES AND LOOKING FOR REPLACEMENT) I am happy to pass on contact details and freight costs ph 0407589570. regards luke
Bill

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the Ranger ... it is extraordinary that your OEM tow mirrors have been binned. They are an outstanding feature of the Ram. The chrome backed mirrors were standard on my 2015 Longhorn.
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sources for the Dodge Cummins Diesel, are dwindling...

SCD still does the top conversion for all the reasons I have shown you in this Topic... Engine bay all stock stone original is a huge advantage... Original Steering box and original steering per the pictures shown is a HUGE advantage. Due to the Politics and ADR approvals, I do not know how much longer SCD will be able to convert them.

All auxiliary components, canopies, Bull Bars, Rear Bumpers, performance kits, aux tanks, everything is available through SCD in aftermarket equipment.

Possibly due to the competition, here is some Insider News from Shogun:
They are filling orders, but are stopping new conversions. In fact, in the Philippine Factory I am told they are build Neon Signs.. No more Shogun Dodge Cummins Diesel Ram conversions so I am told.
thesmiths

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve

When I read your post I got in touch with Herman from Shogun, he as you probably know is one of the owners. Over the last couple of months there has been plenty of rumours regarding Shogun, being an owner of a 2014 Ram 2500 converted by Shogun this obviously had me a bit concerned. Over the last 2 years I have built up a good relationship with Shogun so getting back on track I made a few phone calls, the response is the same as the one I got a couple of months ago, the whole ball and dice is for sale including the setup in the Philippines, they initially tried to sell the business to there Australian competitors but no one would buy it this is where I think the closing down rumours have come from, I am assured the business will continue to trade until they find a buyer, remembering that Shogun not only sells cars in to Australia but the RHD markets as well.
I hope this helps
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well,
They may need to sell stock on hand......

But I have been told by an insider, that the Factory in the Philippines has been making neon signs now.. Like from some time last year.

Anyone wanting a truck should exercise caution. Never the less, IMO, In My Opinion, the SCD conversion is far superior for all the reasons given and shown in this Thread.
lkelectrical

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys to any ram owners out there other than having your own portable compresser to pump tyres up to factory specs what other options are out there in regards to service stations as there pumps do not reach the right pressure required , newbie ram owner . Cheers luke
lkelectrical

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure the rig junkie at bt headquarters might have some idea
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello!!!
In my Dodge Ram I carry the ARB twin motor run 12v compressor, the big one they have...It is a bit overkill but has guage and runs continuos duty.. Or from memory practically close to it..

I forget the name or model of it. I am on a Harley Davidson on Holiday in Texas here... Picked up two Harley rentals in Dallas and road across four States of the "old south" to Bike Week in Daytona Florida and back to Texas. We are isiting old Batlefield sites like San Jacinto and the Alamo and saw the Battleship Texas..

Anyway, many of the dual compressors will work, I was impressed by the twin pump unit from ARB.. But I still have a twin pump version from years ago, there is a Topic on.. From Brown and Watson, a cheapie that is still running.

You just want a fast and continuous duty thpe of one. From Memory the ARB one was rated highly, but that was years ago. I also have the kit for pumping up tyres off the Air Suspension on my Bushtracker..

I will be home in two weeks for more information, but right now am riding around Texas on "Iron Horses"...

Kind regards, Cowboy, the Rig Junkie at Bushtracker
3ways

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve
Did you get to the Houston Rodeo while you were in town?

Frank
thesmiths

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ike electrical

I run the ARB twin unit also very quick can do the van and the truck without worrying about overheating unit the only problem I have had is I do blow the hoses but mine are getting on now buy two hoses to get around if you permanently install the unit from memory they are just under the $700 mark.
I hope you are enjoying your trip so far
lkelectrical

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys Luke here thanks for the comments on compressers to Steve enjoy the iron horse travel safe and yes to all that posted our trip is going well currently in Albany wa the ram is going well the nullabor crossing with a tail wind traveling 80/90 k the ram was getting 16.8 litre per hundred according to the computer that was fully loaded 600 litres of water beer wine 4 kids the lot amazing tug safety as well was at lucky bay in cape legrand and a couple wanted to no fuel consumption ect when I told them they did not believe me they have a 200 series and said they can only get 22/23 litres I came out of a 200 and had no probs with fuel it averaged 19 litres they thought I was telling lies I politely asked them to p-ss off but one thing I did say was how easy the ram tows and the added safety of the longer wheel base in my opinion the Aussie market is calling for these tugs , sorry to rave on just thought I would let any perspective buyers here my option . Regards Luke
Loki of Condor

State:: WA
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lkelectrical wrote:
Hi guys Luke here thanks for the comments on compressers to Steve enjoy the iron horse travel safe and yes to all that posted our trip is going well currently in Albany wa the ram is going well the nullabor crossing with a tail wind traveling 80/90 k the ram was getting 16.8 litre per hundred according to the computer that was fully loaded 600 litres of water beer wine 4 kids the lot amazing tug safety as well was at lucky bay in cape legrand and a couple wanted to no fuel consumption ect when I told them they did not believe me they have a 200 series and said they can only get 22/23 litres I came out of a 200 and had no probs with fuel it averaged 19 litres they thought I was telling lies I politely asked them to p-ss off but one thing I did say was how easy the ram tows and the added safety of the longer wheel base in my opinion the Aussie market is calling for these tugs , sorry to rave on just thought I would let any perspective buyers here my option . Regards Luke

If those 200 Series owners towed in S4 and kept the torque converter locked they would get 19 litres/100kms too.
Grumpy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, S4, averaged 18.4 over 18,000km last year in LC200
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3ways wrote:
Steve
Did you get to the Houston Rodeo while you were in town?

Frank

Thank You Frank, but no... I did not want to brave the crowd... We went clear around Houston to Galvaston and down the coast led by another Harley Brother as a guide.. We are on our way to the Alamo, and then Big Bend National Park ... John Wayne movie country and ghost towns... on "Iron Horses"..

This is waaaaay off topic, I will delete it and clean it up later.. My Dodge Ram is common as dirt here, Ford, Dodge, and Chevy trucks are every third vehicle outside the cities in the country... My Bull Bar is on about every "tenth to twentyith" truck. Even my idea to colour coordinate it is seen regularly.. I have been collecting ideas on fifth wheels and caravans here, but most of it is not suitable for Outback conditions..

I have to say, not only is my heavy steel bull bar seen fifty times a day or more, but even my passion for Dual Rear Wheel trucks, is very-very common here, and they are towing up to 45' fifth wheels as they do not have our air brake limitations and can run on six electric brakes!! There are days when every tenth vehicle is a "Dually" out in the ranch country..

Take care, Steven Gibbs, on Iron Horses in the "Old West"
lkelectrical

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys my ram truck insurance is up for renewal any tips out there in regards to what insurance companies to call with regards to pricing ect any input would be great . Regards Luke
Ricky

State:: QLD
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lkelectrical wrote:
Hi guys my ram truck insurance is up for renewal any tips out there in regards to what insurance companies to call with regards to pricing ect any input would be great . Regards Luke

If its through ASV then RACQ cover it online for around $900 (only online applications I believe), they consider ASV trucks as standard Australian vehicles. Mine is insured with them at that price, obviously postcode etc will make some minor differences to the amount.
petpat47

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Try Shannons. U can get agreed value.
Peter Cool
3ways

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luke we have just renewed our truck insurance with RACQ.
Frank
Bow & Nan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken Tame insurance with the CMCA.
Jeffrobbo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just did my gmc with Shannon's, agreed value and half the price of others, do have a few policies with them though
lkelectrical

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for those contacts will make some calls tomorrow and keep Telstra in Buisness (Ha ha)
lkelectrical

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys has any body out there with a ram , f truck ect been able to get racq roadside assisistance they have told me the gvm of my ram is to big pretty lousy as my policy is with racq and they can't help any info would be great. Cheers Luke
Graham and Barbara

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject: tow mode and exhaust brakes Reply with quote

Interested to know if you use tow mode and exhaust brakes full time when towing, regardless of terrain, or like ourselves only in hilly country? Have spoken to some Ram owners, some say to always use it to protect the engine others say don't use it as uses too much fuel. Any recommendations? Graham
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> Tips on TOW VEHICLES All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: