PROS AND CONS OF THE DODGE RAM LONG WHEEL BASE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> Tips on TOW VEHICLES
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bushtracker
Site Admin

State:: Queensland
Current Bushtracker owner:: Yes
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 1:14 pm    Post subject: PROS AND CONS OF THE DODGE RAM LONG WHEEL BASE Reply with quote

Hello Friends,

Everything you could want to know about the Dodge Cummins Diesel is in the Topic here: R&D ON THE NEW 2014 DODGE RAM ADBLUE CUMMINS DIESEL This is just an annex to it on the Long Wheel Base version, in my case the 2016 Mega Cab..

The purpose of this is to show you the Pros and Cons, of the LWB that you get with either a Long Bed (8') or the Mega Cab. If you have been reading and following along with this R&D, you will know that I sold my last one and went to the Mega Cab, as the seats fold down into the floor to make up a virtual double bed. It enables my Wife to travel with me on long hauls, because on rougher tracks She can lay down in the back and support her neck (bone spurs) or do exercises, stretching, reading, sleeping. I have to say that now with 7600 kms on the clock, and our last trip of over 4500 kms, it has been a success.

Cons: It is harder to park a LWB, and it has a meter wider turning radius.. I do not notice the turning radius as much as the parking. You almost have to take part of a second parking spot and hang over the line. A small car can still park behind you. That or you have to hang it over the curb and sidewalk by backing in, that is what I normally do.. In normal parking as shown below at a Mall, it is just impractical.

Now it is do-able, but better to back in and overhang the curb and sidewalk a bit, then you fit better.

Pros: First of all there is the extra room in the Mega Cab. Luggage area behind the seat that is totally invisible with the seats up. And, as show below, the seats can lean back further with more foot room:

Seats down, I have made up 100mm cushions (3) that makes up a bed in the back....

Now the big one, and the surprise real advantage:
Friends, I am here to tell you that with a big van, the longer wheelbase is better handling of the load. Not only side to side but more, it is a longer cantilever with the hitch out the back affecting the longer wheelbase between the wheels, so there is less of a hobby horse affect on bounding roads. I think my point is, that for a very large and heavy van, the LWB should not put you off if that is all that is available.. It might even outweigh the inconveniences against it. In other words, maybe consider it if that is all that is available, because I think the benefits outweigh the parking and turning disadvantages.

I do not think I would go out and purposely get one, unless you had a valid reason like me for having it, like me for my Wife. However, if there was only one available in the LWB, I an not sure I would pass on it if that was all there was. OK with that?

Kind regards, on the road with the Ranger...

Bushtracker
Site Admin

State:: Queensland
Current Bushtracker owner:: Yes
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Friends,

If you have been reading and following along with this R&D, you will know that I sold my last one and went to the Mega Cab, as the seats fold down into the floor to make up a virtual double bed. It enables my Wife to travel with me on long hauls, because on rougher tracks She can lay down in the back and support her neck (bone spurs) or do exercises, stretching, reading, sleeping. I have to say that now with 13,000 kms on the clock, and our last trip of over 4500 kms, it has been a success. There are some advantages to the Long Wheel Base, so maybe don't pass on one as for a big van it does tow better...

It is that sort of near half meter longer, and the seats fold down into the floor. I have made up a three piece mattress for my Wife to lay down back there because of her back, sort of a "sleeper cab".

I think my R&D on Tow Vehicles is just about over. I went from my favorite dual rear wheel style, to single rear while as the DRW scared new Clients that thought it was necessary... Rolling Eyes So I went to a Single Rear Wheel... Now to an SRW Mega Cab as my Wife has a degenerative bone disease in her back and she needs the lay down "sleeper cab" style the Mega Cab offers... I am home, and I have added "Quartz Shine Plus" glass coating job for paint protection.. (90% silica and hard as glass). I think this is it.. Wink

Kind regards, on the road with the Ranger...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> Tips on TOW VEHICLES All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: